Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

I'm amazed at how consistent and productive he is. I don't know much about his verdicts on games but he delivers a quality product.

i'm amazed he's still with the escapist, he's got to be like, the only thing keeping them going at this point, right?

AriadneThread has a new favorite as of 19:12 on Feb 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

I imagine it must be an IP/copyright/contract thing that means Zero Punctuation is owned by The Escapist or it would be onerous for Yahtzee to buy himself out.

Alternatively, he is in a comfortable arrangement and he doesn't want the hassle of going solo. :shrug: He was doing some LPs but uploading to YouTube some captured footage with commentary and not much editing is nothing close to running your own website etc.

yeah, i mean, i don't begrudge him for sticking with something if it's working for him, i'm just amazed it's still working when the escapist is a empty-husk of a website
it would not surprise me if ip issues play a role though. i remember there was a big semi-public fight when extra credits stopped getting paid and tried to take their show independent and what's his name, bob, had to rebrand his show after getting cut since the escapist still owned the name or something

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Alacron posted:

Speaking of Extra Credits, aside from their main show (which is mostly okay to occasionally pretty good) they also have Extra History where they spend 4-6 episodes picking some less known historical moments, or the lives of historical figures and giving a crash course narrative on them. I'd recommend their series on Admiral Yi for one of their best sets, but most the stuff in there is really fascinating and an easy listen.

On the negatives though, the narrator, Daniel, edits his voice over to give it a higher pitch which I know annoys the poo poo out of some people, and they also make frequent mistakes (flags in particular, to the point that it's kind of running joke) though they do own up to these whenever they can. Almost every topic ends with an extra video where the writer points out mistakes that they made as well as pointing out where they fudged details to make for a better story. You could also argue that they're shallow and don't really delve into the meat of the subjects they're tackling.

is it off topic if we talk about video people who don't do reviews? because i watch way more of that

i hear the shallow criticism leveled against a lot of stuff on youtube, to which my response has always been, if it's got your interest look up a book, find a podcast! the whole youtube format in general just doesn't seem that conductive to more in-depth examinations, imo, that seems to take a very special combination of creator and audience to pull off
wasn't there something about research showing the dumb youtuber thing of having their face in the corner doing over-the-top reactions was actually really effective at getting views? i think i heard that from a lindsey ellis video or tweet or something but i'm not sure

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Lonos Oboe posted:

I know I must sound like a hypocritical callous rear end in a top hat for that. But yet, I suspect I am not alone in feeling that. Does too much personal information from the hosts bother you?

uh, yeah, as person that has/continues to deal with depression, more then anything else it sounds like something you really ought to be talking to a therapist about instead of buying into this harmful stigma around mental illness
like, if you feel the need to check out of something because you don't have it in you to take in a stranger's personal issues, that's fair, i do that all the time, but thinking less of them for being open about it is kind of lovely and self-destructive, imo it's not a weakness to be honest about how you're feeling
i would much rather, personally, for a creator to be honest that they're dealing with tough poo poo then just drop off the face of the earth. how much they want to disclose is up to them. but seriously, this is something i would recommend navigating with a therapist if you aren't already

i mean, there's a danger with over-sharing too, yeah, but i find that's not a issue unique to people with depression and more with internet celebrity over all and the difficulty in maintaining the line between personal and public facing personas.

• Locked thread