Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nick Hodges' History Buffs video series is excellent for anyone interested in films about historical events and their (mis)representation in film and television.

I recommend his reviews of Waterloo and Apocalypto to see what he's best at.

Arc Hammer has a new favorite as of 05:19 on Feb 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
To elaborate a bit on Chuck and SF Debris: This guy has a rather insane work ethic that puts many other reviewers to shame. He has been uploading an average of two fifteen minute reviews a week for well over a decade, and has a backlog that is probably years long. Recently, he has had to suspend taking on anymore review requests due to stress until he can get the backlog under control. Also to note: he has been doing this while also raising two kids. The guy is a machine when it comes to producing content. He doesn't have much flair when it comes to style, but his reviews are chock full of detail, and like the guys above have said, he is open to just about anything.

I just wish he would get something more interesting to review than Full Moon on the anime front.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BigRed0427 posted:

HBomb, I take back every nice thing I ever said about your videos for tricking me to click that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4z3xv2l9_k
Try this instead.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Thankfully no longer Chad Vader. He was funny as a Vader parody but absolutely terrible as actual Vader when they cast him in the Force Unleashed video games. Thankfully the one true no name brand Vader VA Scott Lawrence does him in the new battlefront game. Aaand it seems I was wrong. Sloan is still doing the voice and probably doing a poo poo job of it.

Arc Hammer has a new favorite as of 09:12 on Feb 8, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Alacron posted:

Speaking of Extra Credits, aside from their main show (which is mostly okay to occasionally pretty good) they also have Extra History where they spend 4-6 episodes picking some less known historical moments, or the lives of historical figures and giving a crash course narrative on them. I'd recommend their series on Admiral Yi for one of their best sets, but most the stuff in there is really fascinating and an easy listen.

On the negatives though, the narrator, Daniel, edits his voice over to give it a higher pitch which I know annoys the poo poo out of some people, and they also make frequent mistakes (flags in particular, to the point that it's kind of running joke) though they do own up to these whenever they can. Almost every topic ends with an extra video where the writer points out mistakes that they made as well as pointing out where they fudged details to make for a better story. You could also argue that they're shallow and don't really delve into the meat of the subjects they're tackling.

That's more with their actual Extra Credits series on game design, which is very beginner friendly to the point of basically being a survey course rather than in depth analyses. Their Extra History stuff is generally better researched, and when Dan does his let's plays looking at animation, you can tell he knows what he's talking about.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Keep the politics low.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ralph The Movie Maker is hard to pin down. He often reviews big budget films with an eye towards analyses on why they work and why they don't, but he also reviews terrible reality TV series and other works. What makes him interesting is his presentation, which is either entirely genuine, or the driest sarcasm I have ever seen. I'm still not sure if he is sincere or not, but he's a good one.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
PYF Internet Video Reviews: I want my BlipTV.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Has anyone bought/borrowed copies of the films featured in Best of the Worst? I must admit I've been tempted by Xtro and Dangerous Men. Anyone else?

I've had Thunderpants since I was younger because it had Rupert Grint in it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He just put out a video looking at two mediocre 40k games that recently were ported from mobile to PC

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like Decker Shadow's choice of content for his reviews, but I wish he'd develop his style more than just aping old Channel Awesome shtick presentation. My favourite videos he did are his Planet of the Apes retrospectives, and his analyses of the Alien and Predator films.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You guys keep saying BOTW referring to Zelda, but I'm just thinking about Mike and Rich.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MariusLecter posted:

Jim Sterling is a man with no culture.

He's a collector?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kyzjQJm_2U

I love Super Bunnyhop's videos, and he's managed to find a silver lining in 2017 by looking at some fantastic video games amid the dreck of scandals in the gaming community last year.

• Locked thread