Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
SF Debris should probably be in the OP too. For those who haven't heard of SF Debris, it's run by a guy named Chuck who does video reviews of, as his site name implies, science fiction and fantasy works (TV shows, movies, books, anime and animated material, video games, and comics). His primary area of focus is on the Star Trek franchise, and reviews of individual Trek episodes from across the 5 TV shows and 13 movies make up the overwhelming majority of his work thus far, but a quick glance at the sidebar of the site will show you the full breadth of what he's covered over all. He's notable for his open-mided reviewing style and for generally allowing a work to stand or fall on its own merits. He also goes above and beyond in delving into the creation of certain films or shows and how that creative process led to its success or failure, such as the 10 minute introduction to his review of Titan AE which chronicled the stop and start development hell that ultimately broke the film before work even began on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Also to note: he has been doing this while also raising two kids.

Raising two kids and caring for a wife with recurring bouts of severe mental illness :eng101:

Chuck is a loving saint.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Thankfully no longer Chad Vader. He was funny as a Vader parody but absolutely terrible as actual Vader when they cast him in the Force Unleashed video games. Thankfully the one true no name brand Vader VA Scott Lawrence does him in the new battlefront game. Aaand it seems I was wrong. Sloan is still doing the voice and probably doing a poo poo job of it.

Yes, but by that same token we also got Sam Witwer's ball-out amazing Palpatine voice because he literally went "hey guys, listen to my awesome Ian McDirmid impression" while recording for TFU, so you win some, you lose some.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hbomberguy posted:

It's so good. Like, there's the obvious first layer of comedy, right? Where he spends 30 minutes making cup noodles and pours hot water all over his kitchen counter doing it, and makes comments like 'this is great because it's a very cheap food source for students' before turning to his obscenely expensive keurig coffee machine to get hot water from it to make them with, and laments the lack of actual shrimps in his fifty cent shrimp flavoured noodle, as if he got ripped off.

But then, in the background, you get some of the most beautiful and baffling moment in human history.

Phil keeps, seemingly at all times, a cutting board with a ceramic knife and an array of spoons on it on his kitchen counter, just there, in case he needs them. Whenever he wants to cut any meat he has to move all the spoons and poo poo off, cut the stuff, wash the cutting board, and then presumably dry it and put the spoons back on.

Next to it is an inordinate amount of pyrex measuring jugs. He has like five pyrex measuring jugs, piled up there on his counter, in case he needs five pyrex measuring jugs. I can honestly say that this frame of video footage is going to be a point of obsession for the rest of my life.

So... Does DSP at any point actually end up eating the noodles? I'm asking because there's no loving way in hell I will ever actually watch a DSP video of my own volition, and I remember being told that he once did a 20 minute "unboxing" video of a video game that ended with him never actually opening the box.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The best part of Brad and Allison's Bye Bye Man review is what is clearly Phelous just sitting in the backseat behind Brad but off camera and never saying anything so it's super loving creepy.

At least as assume that was Phelous. Allison, if you read this thread alongside the RGD one, can you confirm or deny that that was indeed Phelan in the car with you guys?

nine-gear crow has a new favorite as of 11:26 on Feb 14, 2017

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Miss Wallace posted:

If it was Phelan he'd be in the video. ;) He doesn't live in the states. There's actually two people in the backseat with me on either side, Brian and Brad's girlfriends. They don't want to be on camera but it was also freezing. But they're in the back seat of videos a lot, with varying degrees of being hidden, ha ha.

Oh cool. Thank you for clearing that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PassTheRemote posted:

Jack and Rich Evans talk about the three seashells:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUPJBL1nGW4

Lying :colbert:

That's like the one thing they actually don't touch on in the review, ironically :v:

• Locked thread