Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
Some great stuff in the OP. Red Letter Media is great as long as you follow the basic rule of never taking anything they say seriously. They are sometimes incredibly insightful, funny and cool people. It still bums me out that Jessie stopped doing the videos.

I really enjoy Oliver Harper's videos but I can't be the only one who feels his videos need to end 2 minutes before they do. Just me,

As for my suggestions:

Twin Perfect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfJpItxOOvU&t=1s

I am sure these guys are well known and they seem to have talked about everything you can talk about Silent Hill. But either way, I really dug this short series that they did a few years ago on kinda under appreciated movies. It's a short list, but enjoyable.

gggmanlives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB-m7taJyGs

I recently discovered this guy. He mostly reviews FPS games and it looks like he has played every one in existence. His reviews can feel a little like Oliver Harper's but without the polish. He can grate a little bit with his "I am a man with a dick, who plays games" attitude. But there is a hell of a lot worse out there. Great retrospective on older games and the videos are usually 5-8 minutes.

Noah Caldwell-Gervais

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SALZWWPMKIA

This guy might be love or hate. But no matter what way you slide, you have to admire his passion. He does huge 1-2 hour long retrospectives on video games franchises. He seems to have traveled through time from the 70's to make pretty sweet videos about games like Homeworld, Vampire, Warcraft, Fallout, Doom,etc. and has a fantastic analysis of both the Call Of Duty franchise and "rear end in a top hat simulators" (Postal/Hatred). I have dug into most of his videos and he has a relaxed, incredibly erudite way of speaking that is the love/hate factor. I personally like it. He can be a funny fucker when he wants and he does not seem up his own rear end. It could be that he leaves mistakes into his voice over or that he really seems so genuine with his love for games. Either way, check him out. Just don't be put off by the incredibly technically lovely sounding intro pieces to camera. He is currently on some kind of cross country roadtrip in a VW van with his girlfriend. I think he is wonderful. (For a guy who looks like Jeff Dahmer)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I have wondered many times over the last year or so why Yahtzee doesn't just go onto Patreon and do his schtick there and make the 12 grand a month or however much Jim Sterling makes.

I figure it's two reasons.

1. The Escapist "owns" his Zero Punctuation ip. As I heard that some other shows that were cancelled could not go on and continue with their own work on youtube.

2. Jim Sterling works like a mule to put content out and who the gently caress wants that?

Any thoughts on that one?

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

AriadneThread posted:

yeah, i mean, i don't begrudge him for sticking with something if it's working for him, i'm just amazed it's still working when the escapist is a empty-husk of a website
it would not surprise me if ip issues play a role though. i remember there was a big semi-public fight when extra credits stopped getting paid and tried to take their show independent and what's his name, bob, had to rebrand his show after getting cut since the escapist still owned the name or something

That's exactly what I thought. I mean, I remember maybe 5 years ago there was a pretty decent video up every day. Now, I log in every few weeks to look at Yahtzee's videos. I remember that the site would actually shut down for the 10 or so minutes after if launched. What a world.

I used to enjoy the Extra Credits stuff. But the earnest emotional "Let's pull together and be a better world" stuff that closed out each episode got to me. (As did the chipmunk voice.) But what really crushed my interest was the video where one of the contributors went on camera live to talk about depression. Ok, sure brave move. But it destroyed my respect for the show. I can't listen to podcasts where people talk in detail about their personal lives and watching this guy, who the show had constantly made out was this genius of videogames (and to be honest, a bit of a Mary Sue) talk in great and awkward length about his depression just made me say no more and cut it off. (I searched, I can't find the video)

It's a kinda complex reaction and feeds into a lot of my viewing choice. I like many people, suffer from depression. I never discuss it with my friends, co-workers or even partners. All of them know. But I don't want that trait to define my relationships. People I know who are open about their depression seem to let it define them and I battle every day to not let that happen. I find no comfort in sharing it and you are judged for it. Even by the best of people, who may not mean to judge you negatively. But can't help to see you as weak. I had a girlfriend who I had told about it who dumped me and for weeks would call to make sure I was not going to kill myself. (I never expressed a desire to her at any point) But inevitably, the thought creeped in. Maybe it's me seeing too much of myself in these people or maybe I a have enough human drama in my own life without getting involved in strangers online who make videos to entertain and sometimes educate me. But I could not help but feel like I had lose my respect for a series when they start saying. "Hey, sorry I have not posted in a while. I am dealing with some stuff, it's hard but I will power through for my fans." It strikes me as a craving for external validation or a desire to be thought of as deep and meaningful.

I know I must sound like a hypocritical callous rear end in a top hat for that. But yet, I suspect I am not alone in feeling that. Does too much personal information from the hosts bother you?

Don't get me started on Moviebob. I can't believe I used to go to that site.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
Sometimes with review videos, the reason you may not like a certain reviewer is because of their politics and how it affects their perception. The "death of the author" can be a hard enough thing to do watching a Woody Allen film or a Tom Cruise action movie. With an online reviewer it can be really hard. Even if you agree with most of a person's politics, they can be such insufferable cunts about it that you can't help but dislike them. Or you feel they are championing something not said enough.

You can't separate a reviewer from their politics so I think it's worth mentioning if a reviewer is partial to bringing it up.

Folks like Yahtzee and Red Letter Media generally avoid it. (Sometimes they can't help it, but I never found their work politically motivated from what I have seen) But Moviebob or Anita Sarkeesian can't help but have it. I think it''s best for the list being compiled to highlight if they have a certain leaning viewpoint. But add no further judgement on them.

Also, I just discovered Comic Book Girl 19 I have only seen maybe 5 videos, but I really like her perspective on comic book movies and comic books in general. Maybe someone who has seen more of her stuff. can add more details.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

ninjahedgehog posted:

I think the primary reason behind the "no politics" rule is because the Internet Critic thread in RGD devolves into lovely screaming matches roughly five times every hour.

So glad about that rule

Another one that might make the list is Cinefix's What's the Difference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?CineFix

They take a book or comic book adaptation and analyse the differences between and offer their opinions on what they believe worked or didn't. It's an unconventional approach, but it is a review show when you break it down. They apply critical thinking to both the source and the adaptation and argue about which is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

You guys keep saying BOTW referring to Zelda, but I'm just thinking about Mike and Rich.

"No, it was about Horizon Zero Dawn, wait that was Pre-Recor....Ah right Breath Of The Wild"

• Locked thread