Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Jordan Peele is best known for his comedy as half of the duo of Key & Peele and for Mad TV. So, I was really surprised when I saw a trailer for a horror film and it said directed by Jordan Peele. Apparently he is also a big horror film fan.

I don't know much about it besides the trailers I've seen and of course the Wikipedia page.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Get_Out_(film)
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/get_out

It actually might be good though, as the early Rotten Tomatoes reviews are all positive, although there are only 16 reviews so far (early screening I guess?). Sounds like it's going to broach the topic of racism, something Peele has done a lot in his comedy works in the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRfnevzM9kQ

Anybody thinking about seeing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
It was a secret screening at Sundance, which is where all the reviews came from.

I'm really excited for it because Key and Peele have a great knowledge of movies, especially horror ones. Movie looks dope.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

seeing Jordan Peele's name on a horror movie made me wonder if this was a different guy named Peele who directed it. i guess not

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Feel as if that trailer is doing the film a disservice by being a solid ninety seconds too long. Looking past that, the film itself looks promising.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm looking forward to this, and I can't remember the last time I was ever excited for a horror movie.

Maybe Ernest Scared Stupid when I was like...5.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

the viral marketing for this movie is crazy, cant believe they went as far as buying this emote :getout:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
people seem to think this movie is racist :v:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Will somebody please think of whitey

anyone

plz

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

lol theres no way anyone could rationally conclude this film is about race, you'd have to be some paranoid idiot or something to think that. Me personally I loved the film but that aside can please discuss how insane it is that there were so many viral marketing emotes bought for this movie? :getin: seriously, its wild. I dig it though, p.cool way of spreading the word. Wonder if they did anything similar at Reddit et all?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

lol theres no way anyone could rationally conclude this film is about race, you'd have to be some paranoid idiot or something to think that. Me personally I loved the film but that aside can please discuss how insane it is that there were so many viral marketing emotes bought for this movie? :getin: seriously, its wild. I dig it though, p.cool way of spreading the word. Wonder if they did anything similar at Reddit et all?

Finally some tough fuckin questions.

I mean, some people don't like taking things that far but I appreciate you because you do.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
my hot take is that this movie looks neato

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
From CineD:

glam rock hamhock posted:

I'm behind on this thread because I've had to deal with preperations for moving and my general laziness but I'd thought I'd at least do my write up for Get Out now because that one is coming out any day now.

Warning: while I will spoiler the actual spoilers, I will be getting pretty deep into the ending so read that stuff at your own risk.

Get Out
I was really excited for this movie from the first trailer and was loving psyched when it turned out to be the mystery midnight screening I took a chance on. Before I really discuss it's guts (which is hard to do without getting really spoilery} I'll just get the basics out of the way. Peele directs a an interesting and original horror film here. it's clear how much he loves the genre because the nods to other films are numerous and loving without actually being outright references. This is a movie that has many clear influences but doesn't really ape them so much as pull them all together to be it's own weird thing. If it's ripping off anything, it would probably be The Stepford Wives but even then it's a very different beast from that. Performance-wise, it's has a strong cast through and through with special shout outs to Daniel Kaluuya who anchors the film well and Allison Williams who makes some hard to work things work very well.

For a horror movie it is happily very short on jump scares (though they are there) and relies more on the offness of situations and general tension. It does handle both sides equally strongly though. Early on there is a jump scare that is very well done with a long spinning shot that both gives you a good view of all the happenings so you don't feel cheated while still creating ramped up tension. On the other hand, the best and most tense shot in the entire film is a close up on someone's face as they're apologizing. The Comedy side of things is also fairly good (though not as prevalent as you'd expect), mostly focusing on the awkwardness of situations and a character that's in the TSA.

I think that about covers what I can discuss unspoilered so now I'll just get into the rest after I set it up a bit.

I think from the seeing the trailers you kind of suspect that underneath the friendly white family there's really a hidden Deliverance or People Under The Stairs. You'd suspect that this was going to all end up being a social commentary about the friendly face that conservatism puts on and then the real horrible monster of racism that lies beneath. That isn't quite the case. This movie is more about taking smug, "post-racism" liberalism and taking it at face value. Early in the movie you get people talking about how great black people are. The father talks fondly about Jesse Owens beating his father in the Olympics. He talks about how he would have voted for Obama a third time. People do the usual thing of saying how well spoken the main character is and how he really brings an urbaness to his art and so on and so on. For most of the movie you'll think this is just the usual insincere, talking down racist bullshit but it's not. These people really believe everything they're saying about how black people are better and they want that for themselves.

This is a movie that takes bullshit backhanded compliments seriously and takes what that would mean to an extreme conclusion. It's a movie that asks "what if a white person really thought a black person was weirdly articulate?" and concludes that white people would do what they always do and take that for themselves like they deserve it. Like the characters in this movie aren't even really racist in some perverse way. They are so not racist that they themselves want to be black and will happily steal it. Characters you think are acting weird because they are being forced to by white people turn out to be white people trying their best to act black. The weird lawn ornament version of people they becomes is due to that being how the people controlling them think they would act rather than because of what you assume of it just being some weird brainwashing...well I mean it is just not how you think it is.

One of the things I really like about this movie is that it doesn't really have a "holy poo poo" twist but it does have a plot that once you understand that going on, everything else makes just a little more sense and in not the way you expected it to. It's a movie that really fun to watch and then equally fun to later think back upon and realize how all that stuff fit in. I think it's literally coming out Friday as I'm writing this so I'm just gonna say go see it because it rules.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hell yeah, love reading million word posts from other forums

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Black Baby Goku posted:

same, espcially when its the whole plot of a movie thats not out yey

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm interested in this movie OP.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

I officially decree that emptyquoting giant CineD posts here for no reason is a big no.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Black Baby Goku posted:

same, it lets me take a break from reading war and peace, if only for a moment

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
lol boohoo

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
As the guy that wrote that post that no one wants to read I'll just say that the movie is really cool even if you don't want to read into what it's trying to say. It's a ton of fun and manages to be both silly and horrifying, having scenes that work well for laughs but also create tension.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Fungah! posted:

same, espcially when its the whole plot of a movie thats not out yey

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800168

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

It's not the spoiler, so much as the giant CD post around it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
and thats why you made sure to highlight spoilers in your new rule

also sorry for putting that many words in your vicinity even if you dont have to read them figured maybe some people in the get out thread would be interested in someone's opinion who has seen the movie, even if it's lengthy

oops!

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

and thats why you made sure to highlight spoilers in your new rule

also sorry for putting that many words in your vicinity even if you dont have to read them figured maybe some people in the get out thread would be interested in someone's opinion who has seen the movie, even if it's lengthy

oops!

Whatever, kid... Stay salty.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
nah i just dont get the dismissive nature for a post just because it's 5 paragraphs and came from Cined

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

if i wanted to read a long cd post id go to that forum and click on the thread

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

As the guy that wrote that post that no one wants to read I'll just say that the movie is really cool even if you don't want to read into what it's trying to say. It's a ton of fun and manages to be both silly and horrifying, having scenes that work well for laughs but also create tension.

thank you

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

trying to jack off posted:

its all good mate no worries wont happen again

just wasnt expecting a rule to be made about xpostin

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I suppose my ultimate goal with such a rule is to avoid each new/upcoming movie discussion eventually turning into "let's see what CineD has to say about this"... And besides, it's simply much better for people to post their own original thoughts on films (spoilers or no) rather than rely on a long CD post to guide their way. Apologies for getting spicy.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I suppose my ultimate goal with such a rule is to avoid each new/upcoming movie discussion eventually turning into "let's see what CineD has to say about this"... And besides, it's simply much better for people to post their own original thoughts on films (spoilers or no) rather than rely on a long CD post to guide their way. Apologies for getting spicy.

:respek:

I see your point.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'll be previewing this tonight. I hope I get so excited about it that I stand up and start screaming at the screen. Or not; that's usually reserved for really lovely movies.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I enjoyed the movie, and I did at one point yell at the screen. This movie was weird as hell in a good way.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

gently caress you for writing that

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

trying to jack off posted:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Sorry :(

I thought this was supposed to be a chill forum

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

It's more relaxed, but not 'chill' in the BYOB sense. Proper punctuation and spelling are encouraged.

Lumpy the Cook fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 23, 2017

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

gently caress you for writing that

Settle down...

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

:getout: holy poo poo key and peele actually bougt an emote on here for viral marketing. thats loving incredible.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Shinjobi posted:

I enjoyed the movie, and I did at one point yell at the screen. This movie was weird as hell in a good way.

Yell...out of fear or some other emotion?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Just got back from this and thought it was pretty enjoyable. It's not a scream in your face horror film, and is mostly focused on how unsettling Chris's situation is. It's funnier than I thought it would be, as well. It's not a laugh a minute, and it's used appropriately so the movie doesn't turn into a farce, but there's definitely some humor in it. It was well acted all around. The two leads especially did a fine job. I had seen Daniel Kaluuya on Black Mirror, so I knew he was talented. I'd never heard of Allison Williams, but she did great as well. They both probably have pretty bright careers ahead of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I saw this and enjoyed it well enough, but I don't get the universal praise and so many things in the movie make no loving sense that I started to get a headache after awhile. Also, I don't buy this being a super important piece of satire because it seems like just about everyone likes it and nobody in particular feels targeted by it.

• Locked thread