Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
This is awesome - I love the ruleset, the fog of war, and the need for preplanned orders. One idea that dramatically increases the PITA factor but might also increase the Fun: different threads for each brigade/corps/whatever level of organization you want to deal with, so that central command on each side has to react to messages from the front describing what they see instead of having perfect information about what their underlings are dealing with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Trin Tragula posted:

Oh yeah, and that map needs some names, people.

The central town with the railroad is obviously Goonêville.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Obv we need some US expeditionaries named the Goon Doughboys :D

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Notahippie posted:

This is awesome - I love the ruleset, the fog of war, and the need for preplanned orders. One idea that dramatically increases the PITA factor but might also increase the Fun: different threads for each brigade/corps/whatever level of organization you want to deal with, so that central command on each side has to react to messages from the front describing what they see instead of having perfect information about what their underlings are dealing with.

Well, the problem with that is first that you probably don't want to flood the forum with threads, second that most observers probably don't want to keep track of so many threads, and third that the sides will probably use Roll20 anyway, rendering the whole thing moot.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

I would like to join the Entente and play the part of an incompetent military leader!

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The cities on the extreme left of the map, top to bottom, are Faibleimpôt-les-Carreaux, Haltebruit, and Quatreprout.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Feb 9, 2017

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

So who's gonna be the Churchill? Drunkenly bumbling into rooms and unloading his latest genius idea "Fuckit we're invading Gallipoli and inventing tanks!"

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Threads for each side are now opening. Once you read past the siren, you're committed either to neutrality or to fighting for that particular side in the upcoming battle. It's okay to come back in here for a while longer, do some place-naming, see who's signing up; I'll put more sirens up when that goes off.

Entente

Germans

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I have no idea what I am doing and I am proud to be doing so for France. Vive la France!

Sixkiller
Mar 2, 2015

Sanguine Sanguinary
For the victory of Liberté, égalité and fraternité, I gladly join France in fighting the vicious Huns!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
The large central town of St. Croissants holds great strategic importance

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

my dad posted:

edit: Switching to Entente, since nobody seems to want to play as them. Applying for the position of the supreme commander.
it'll be my sad but necessary duty to fight against someone who had been my friend before the war broke out
brb, writing terrible poetry about this

NastyToes
Oct 9, 2012

I will join the Germans.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So can you tell us what the general objective is or will we have to wait to hear the orders from command?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

So can you tell us what the general objective is or will we have to wait to hear the orders from command?

the general objective is Victory!, secondary objectives are Die Gloriously For Your Country!, Give Those Foreigners A drat Good Thrashing!, and (BEF only) A Cup Of Tea!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
and the poetry has to be bad. i cannot stress enough how terrible it must be.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Hunt11 posted:

When both sides appear to have agreed on a corps commander, the corps commander will be given objectives.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Would like to join the Entente team.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Maj.Gen. T.B.K. Pommedeterre posted:

Lo! the Muse of War doth call
for in an empire's Rise and Fall
the gods find heroes, and delight
in gathering them, at end of fight
to join the parade, prom and ball
and feast with them in sacred hall

Translators Note: In the French forces a Major General was referred to as a Général de Division

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

I will do my bit for the Kaiser and fight for Germany

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Vive la France!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

HEY GAIL posted:

Is good poetry a '16 or '17 unlock?

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
I'll tentatively sign up as a German. A particularly incompetent German.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

T.B.K. Pommedeterre posted:

Nous sommes forts
Personne ne peut nous dire que nous avons tort
Chercher nos coeurs depuis si longtemps
Nous deux
L'amour est un champ de bataille

Tu me supplie d'aller
Puis me faire rester
Pourquoi me faites-vous si mal
Cela me permettrait de savoir
Est-ce que je suis dans votre chemin
Ou est-ce que je suis la meilleure chose que vous avez eu

Crois moi
Crois moi
Je ne peux pas vous dire pourquoi
Mais je suis pris au piège par ton amour
Et je suis enchaîné à votre côté

Nous sommes jeunes
Le chagrin d'amour
Pas de promesses
Aucune demande

Nous sommes forts
Nous deux

Quand je perds le contrôle
Voulez-vous me détourner
Ou touche-moi profondément
Et quand tout cela deviendra vieux
Sera-t-il toujours le même
Il n'y a aucun moyen que cela mourra
Mais si nous nous rapprochons
Je pourrais perdre le contrôle
Et si votre coeur se rend
Vous aurez besoin de moi pour tenir

Nous sommes jeunes
Le chagrin d'amour
Pas de promesses
Aucune demande

Nous sommes forts
Nous deux

grâce à pat benatar

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

thatbastardken posted:

grâce à pat benatar

... :france::respek::smug:
Well done

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

HEY GAIL posted:

Why does we hav' ter die France?
With all these Froggies in red pants.
Jerry seems like a decent chap.
With his funny-looking pointy hat.
I think I'll go and work for him.
And eat some kraut straight from a tin.

By Tommy Atkins, age 16

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I remember burning out watching the original game because it was too slow, so I'm totally in favor of the faster pace. I can't wait for the bloodshed heroics to begin! (Spectator)

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

There seem to be slightly less germans, so I'll throw in my lot with them.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Here's to this going further than the last war!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

xthetenth posted:

Is good poetry a '16 or '17 unlock?
how many points did you put in High Modernism

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I

Put

20 in

Concrete Poetry

At Verdun

At

Verdun

They gave
Me

The croix de gurre

And a wooden
Leg
And
A
Wood
En
Leg

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Ooh, another one of these! Entente if possible, please. Although I'd play Central Powers if there's no room left otherwise. Empress Theonora, the mercenary.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

HEY GAIL posted:

it'll be my sad but necessary duty to fight against someone who had been my friend before the war broke out
brb, writing terrible poetry about this

nonono Serben muss sterben meine Freundin

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Empress Theonora posted:

Ooh, another one of these! Entente if possible, please. Although I'd play Central Powers if there's no room left otherwise. Empress Theonora, the mercenary.

:getin:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Nice to see this being tried again, but fixing the mistakes I made last time (the river, map extensions). I don't have time to play, but I'll be watching with interest.

Since the last time we did this, I finally have played a game in real life - and wrote up a battle report - it may be of interest to people.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The French have received their orders; when the Germans get theirs there will be a countdown, signups will close, and players will be barred from this thread. We're filling up fast; there may be one or two commands left, but feel free to go sign up as a staff officer and you may get to play as a replacement or a reinforcement.

edited for the all-time greatest Great War poem, which appeared in the Wipers Times in 1916

The world wasn't made in a day,
And Eve didn't ride on a bus,
But most of the world's in a sandbag
The rest of it's plastered on us.

(It was.)

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 9, 2017

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Can I sign up for the reserves of the Entente?:france:

I'm going to be out of the country at the end of the month. Please don't shell France while I'm there.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

thatbastardken posted:

grâce à pat benatar

:golfclap:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Trin, how are you handling the bookkeeping? Do you have a physical board set up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

aphid_licker posted:

Trin, how are you handling the bookkeeping? Do you have a physical board set up?

Someone calculated that the map in the last game covered something ludicrous like 400 physical tables' worth of space, so no. #squadgoals

What I've actually got is a Photoshop map which is entirely built of layers, so I can switch everything on and off at my convenience, and then a company-by-company spreadsheet for tracking what everyone's up to and making sure I don't miss people's orders. Plus the house rules document, the chits, the measuring sticks, the signups tracker...

(I am going to be rolling actual dice for at least initiative, if nothing else; although when combat starts I'll be on Roll20 because if I wanted to throw 12d6 every 30 seconds I'd be playing Shadowrun...)

• Locked thread