Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I am a little concerned that the british will do the germans a serious injury next turn, and we'll have another human player morale check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016
Mmm, depends on how effective that Brit arty is vs other arty. Given what it did to those poor Germans last turn, though, I'd wager "lots". Bright side: not all the arty is in range. Just most of the front rank.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Das Panzer posted:

Oh man , this thread. :shepface:
Glad I'm finally done moving and can actually stay caught up with this thread.

On a different note, what is with everyone and ditching trenches? Is it some sort of aversion to trench warfare, or just MAX SPEED charge obsession due to French lunatics waggling sabres? Regardless it's ruddy brilliant.

I think it's because they have a very ugly colour on the battle map

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Splode posted:

I am a little concerned that the british will do the germans a serious injury next turn, and we'll have another human player morale check.

I think the Germans could lose about half their howitzers, but if everything goes well they get all the British heavy guns while they're out of their trench and limbered up pointlessly shuffling about in return. If they manage that trade I think they'll pass the thread morale check, at least. And even if they don't get the British guns they'll still have 3/4ths of their own guns left anyways.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
You'd think thier virtual immunity from the night's artillery bombardment would be enough for them to mostly stay in their trenches, keep some forces onhand to be a mobile reserve, keep on digging reserve ditches if they have to fall back and they could bleed the Central Powers pretty much thoroughly.

You'd think either side is going to be playing Sir Douglas Haig soon enough once defense in depth starts..

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Tevery Best posted:

I think it's because they have a very ugly colour on the battle map
So why leave them instead of continuing to obscure that color with chits and then spread the ugly color in another place. Makes no sense!

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
You could get some ugly on your chits, then, and you probably do. Just look at how they spread it whenever they park anywhere for too long!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I think people feel compelled to give different orders each turn, because sitting in trenches appears boring and passive.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I think it's because you can't win a battle sitting in the trenches all day.

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

Green Intern posted:

I think people feel compelled to give different orders each turn, because sitting in trenches appears boring and passive.
WWI.txt

Kind of amazing how this game brings out a lot of these WWI.txt moments by actual player actions.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

You'd think people would do a lot better with the benefit of historical hindsight, especially the groggy goons who are attracted to this stuff, but nope there's plenty of stuff purely from the players.

I love it.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I just realised something.

People who want to push, to manoeuvre, to outflank, to be aggressive - they are the people who seek to win the war on the battlefield. They see opportunities and appreciate how fleeting they are.

People who want to sit in the trenches until Judgement Day are the people who recognise the war cannot be wan on the battlefield. They see the dangers and appreciate that the only way to win is to turn the conflict into a war of attrition. And the only way to win a war of attrition is to make the enemy attrition himself more in a wearing-out battle.

It is you. It is you who is Douglas Haig.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Awww, gently caress. If they're Haig, then I, as the one providing him with his intelligence reports, must be Charteris...

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ahaha, my dad just convinced lenoon that he doesn't have to move his artillery pieces back into cover after all. You know, those same pieces that have just been discovered by the Germans to sit within a brisk walk's distance (and probably mortar range) of their hidden northern brigade. This could be good.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Perestroika posted:

Ahaha, my dad just convinced lenoon that he doesn't have to move his artillery pieces back into cover after all. You know, those same pieces that have just been discovered by the Germans to sit within a brisk walk's distance (and probably mortar range) of their hidden northern brigade. This could be good.

Nope, lenoon is the southern artillery, the one next to the Bois the Blob. The northern one is controlled by professor_curly and as far as I can tell, he's retreating to the trenches.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah the big guns in the north aren't lenoon's, and they're pulling back. Which would be a perfect opportunity for that German brigade up on the edge to catch them while they're limbered up and in the open, but it sounds like the preliminary Boche plan is to sit tight

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

If the Germans attack through Effyaders at any time today, then I don't expect them to go further than the E/W road; they can probably scatter the 23rd and 24th brigades if they concentrate effectively and bombard accurately, but damage plus fatigue is going to wreck that division whatever happens, and the Belgians will then come up and be able to establish a line in Trois Freres somewhere while the last British division comes in to steady the ship again.

By design, their best chance of reaching the canal (assuming competent but unspectacular enemy generalship) revolved around using the 40th effectively, but they dribbled it in and lost it. You need a 3:1 advantage to get anywhere against an entrenched opponent, and now even if they can manage it, the men of the 26th are carrying two fatigue points and will start taking penalties.

The penalties, incidentally; at 2 fatigue points, a brigade takes a penalty to its attacks when out of a trench; at 3, it takes a penalty to all attacks and a penalty to defending itself when out of a trench; at 4, it takes a penalty to all attacks and a penalty whenever attacked; and if a brigade ever gets to 5 points, it takes the 4-point penalties and has a 50% chance of not being allowed to move or open fire on each turn.

Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016

Trin Tragula posted:

If the Germans attack through Effyaders at any time today, then I don't expect them to go further than the E/W road; they can probably scatter the 23rd and 24th brigades if they concentrate effectively and bombard accurately, but damage plus fatigue is going to wreck that division whatever happens, and the Belgians will then come up and be able to establish a line in Trois Freres somewhere while the last British division comes in to steady the ship again.

Call me stupid or unobservant, but did I miss something about the Belgians?

As for the 3:1 ratio, I don't see how either side can make much headway at this point, aside from spectacular rolls from either side. I'd favor the BEF due to the sheer amount and weight of their arty, but if they piss away all their shells too soon then it's a moot point, doubly so if both they and the Germans lose arty support and further stalemate. As an aside, I wonder if BEF high command is tearing its hair out about the armored car fiasco yet, or if they still don't see the potential use for them. (Apologies if any of that is out of date info, at this point, and I'm just blind.)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

There was apparently a mention of the Belgians getting frisky and possibly opening some floodgates if things get dire enough.

I'm pretty sure the armored cars have all been destroyed at this point.

Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016
Yeah, I think so too. I'm more wondering if they're gritting their teeth yet going "balls, why did we faff about with those and let them die early?"

Honestly I'd think they'd be great daytime reconnaissance units, here, and could be used to see what the Germans are doing on their side of the river. (Strength-wise, to see how many Germans are there, which in turn could help them guess how many Germans are therefore still across the river.)

Or maybe I'm just talking out my rear end and this is all semantics at this point.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Trin Tragula posted:

The penalties, incidentally; at 2 fatigue points, a brigade takes a penalty to its attacks when out of a trench; at 3, it takes a penalty to all attacks and a penalty to defending itself when out of a trench; at 4, it takes a penalty to all attacks and a penalty whenever attacked; and if a brigade ever gets to 5 points, it takes the 4-point penalties and has a 50% chance of not being allowed to move or open fire on each turn.
Is it true (as someone in the British thread implied) that just getting shelled periodically is enough to keep accumulating fatigue points? Or does the brigade itself have to shoot at something?

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Honestly, I feel like if the Central Powers broke off a few companies to probe the middle crossing and the entrenched British position down south, the Brits would overreact and assume half of Germany is coming, then they could roll up the British in the north when they all come barreling out of their trenches.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Aaaaaaand aphid licker has figured it out. Build a trenchline to protect your gains and save yourself from lovely wwI artillery.

It really sort of is like watching both armies high command try to struggle with the reality of pre-mechanized industrial warfare.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I still wish the Germans would charge that undefended gunline they've got a great crack at. I know the sensible thing to do is stay put but drat it I want a few more glorious charges before we get to the "everything is now some variant of trench warfare until the war's over" stage.

Also, what ever happened to the rain? Just hasn't rolled to start yet?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Oh god lenoon's firing pattern has predicted the enemy arty movement perfectly, this update is probably going to suck for the Germans :ohdear:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oh drat you're right. The Germans are set to sit tight just long enough to eat 2 turns of fire, and by the time they move up the British guns will have scooted out of the way once again. Curly's move to put the guns exactly out of range to anything not in the woods (which cannot be fired out of) is a good one too.

sniper4625 (German) posted:

Artillery Orders

Southern Battery

Support fire.

Northern Battery

Hold 4 turns, if not actively firing in support then move Northern Gunline as such. :siren: Saros reminds me there should be a bridge by the time I move. Please use the bridge

If there is any time remaining, 2 turns firemission

If I could get engineer support to entrench across the river it'd be swell. Should be enough time for the SE trenches to be secured.

Edited to put me in range of the enemy gunline.

lenoon (BEF) posted:

Hallllright men, hovernight we are finking that we've fahnd the Owitzers, so I want two turns of hustained firah on the ford in this fire pattern:

professor_curly (BEF) posted:

Eighth Division Artillery Order

Conduct the following fire mission for two turns:

Where blue aura represents 60-pounder cannons, yellow represents 18-pounder and orange represents guns from Lenoon's artillery brigade.

Turn 3: Limber
Turn 4: Move Back to the trenches that have just been dug behind us in the pattern shown below.
Turn 5: Continue moving/begin unlimbering as soon as possible.
Turn 6: Continue moving/begin unlimbering as soon as possible.
Turn 6+: All guns go on overwatch/start supporting the brigades to the east of me.

This position is ideal. They can't counter-battery me because it would require setting up their guns in Effyaders, which they can't shoot out of. They have to exit the woods to attack me. I'm in a trench with a bit of wire already. Let them try to cross the open ground in front of me if they dare.

Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016
Oh dear. Talk about lovely luck, eh? Personally I find it hilarious that both sides are terrified that the enemy is going to attack them, but on the other side of the coin, are both realizing that they don't really have the numbers to go on the offensive. (Not that they know the same about each other.)

So close, yet so far. A bloody comedy of errors, this game.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Terrifying Effigies posted:

We're still looking for some Germans to share :supaburn: SURPRISE AND TERROR :supaburn: with...maybe we'll find some further east!

ORDERS FOR 20TH INFANTRY BRIGADE

The Brigade shall switch to attack and advance east along the southern edge of the map using the following formation:

Upon reaching the river, the Brigade shall move north to cross the bridge and enter the southern half of La Dand.

At the end of the march, the Brigade shall assume the following positions and switch to Defend. Brigades in eastern La Dand are located on outskirts. Single westernmost brigade is located on outskirts, rest of units in La Dand suburb are located within the town.

itshappening.gif

e:

Saros posted:

Final Orders for 86th as Added space cant change his.

Proceed south in the standard battle formation and spread out into the positions shown. Switch to defend.

If this is possible designate an infantry company whose new orders are to follow and defend the Infantry engineer in Stethoscope now until ordered otherwise.

Defend
Use Rifles
Do not pursue
Fight to the last
MAXIMUM TRENCH

Hmm Saros might block just in time. Praying for some British initiative.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 5, 2017

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

itshappening.gif

Their standing order is to switch to defend when sighting enemy units. So they'll stop at a relatively far range. Although these standing orders for the Brits mean they'll end up bogged down in a fight anyway. Infantry can spot each other at 12 inches if they're not firing.

quote:

IF ENEMY IS SPOTTED WITHIN 12 INCHES - Turn and move directly towards enemy
IF ENEMY IS SPOTTED BEYOND 12 INCHES - Keep moving along original path

This could be a mess. A lot depends on timing, who can change their orders sooner, initiative etc.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Oh, it's your fault, I see.

We're up; it's 12 noon on Day 3.

Entente
Germans

Observ-O-Vision:

The south, turn 17

The south, turn 18

The north, turn 18

Overview, turn 20

Overview, end of update

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I'm starting to notice a theme of brigades charging out of strong defensive positions without doing any reconnaissance and without any support or coordination and accomplishing gently caress all before being annihilated

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:smith: When you get to this BEF folks, I promise I was rooting for you. Given the fatigue on those Germans companies I'm sure the charge would have succeeded too (if not for the artillery, curse this modern war!) which probably would have messed up the perceived meta something crazy.

What were the Brits at for fatigue btw?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Ouch, losing that brigade makes the British lines look dangerously thin. I know reinforcements are coming up to plug the gap, but the Germans seem to have figured out the One Weird Trick with doubling up arty to kill suppressions. Might let them crack trench lines with acceptable losses.

Shame the La Dand Comedy Crew didn't play out, oh what could have been...

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 6, 2017

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

sum posted:

I'm starting to notice a theme of brigades charging out of strong defensive positions without doing any reconnaissance and without any support or coordination and accomplishing gently caress all before being annihilated

They're just playing historically. :v:

Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016
Does that mean that we get to nominate one Entente commander to act as Haig and get as many Brits and Frenchmen pixelmans slaughtered as possible?

I nominate xthetenth, just for being a crazy French cavalryman with a sword.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Man, Loel sure is planning one hell of a withdrawal for no real reason. Not sure why they'd be in such a rush to abandon the Bois de Blob.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Sounds like the entente have wired a bridge to blow. I wonder if they'll ever get a chance to use it?

Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016

PittTheElder posted:

Man, Loel sure is planning one hell of a withdrawal for no real reason. Not sure why they'd be in such a rush to abandon the Bois de Blob.

Could be that they're worried about nonexistent German reinforcements.theyre surmising that they'll both get one, and they're not solid on German numbers, so they might be worried about a flanking maneuver- that or just a general shortening of the line for easier defense.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Who folks think has the general advantage in the present, at least so far as general orders/intent and positioning on the field and casualties taken so far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I think the entente were ahead until the last update. Pretty even now. Both sides have struggled as teams this round. My dad was an excellent corps commander last game, but I wonder if his suggestions now are eating away at the actual corps commander's authority and confidence.

I think the last update is going to finally put an end to dumb attack plans being organised by bored brigadiers, which is good for them.

The Germans seem better after swapping commanders but they are still playing very cautiously. I feel like they've identified opportunities and not acted on them a few times now.

• Locked thread