Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Nice to see this being tried again, but fixing the mistakes I made last time (the river, map extensions). I don't have time to play, but I'll be watching with interest.

Since the last time we did this, I finally have played a game in real life - and wrote up a battle report - it may be of interest to people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah, Trin has pretty much done everything I would have done if I ever got time to do one of these again, The River was a big mistake last time, as was not making this a meeting engagement. I was also far to lax on letting people change orders every 30 seconds.

I was even going to do the coming in at the same corner bit!

Its going to be interesting to see how this shakes out.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I'd be tempted to leave the casualty makers in place, as they give a good idea of the flow of battle - mayve drop them into a different group in photoshop so you can turn them off during a turn to only show the fresh ones.

also with a smaller map, you won't have the problem I had at the end that even on a decent pc, it took ten seconds to move chits around by the end!

I really did over egg it!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Trin Tragula posted:

I can't be mad at him because he's 100% correct, except for the part where he assumes I haven't spent the past three days cackling out loud. Now I understand why the villain never just orders his goons to shoot James Bond in the head!

edit: if I were really mean I'd respond to a wholescale German redeployment by offering the French to flank march their reserve brigades to the bottom left corner, but that would be unfair and adversarial umpiring, if incredibly funny

edit 2: unless I offered them both a flank march...

Evil.

He is looking at it from a GM perspective, and one thing I've learned is that if you can come up with an idea, then your players can come up with the same idea - a true surprise is hard to pull off.
Even in history, most surprise attacks have had that one guy who knows whats going to happen, but no-one will listen to him.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

someone needs to make a good corps level wwi game, and a computer version of this would be great!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

This is going to be interesting, it could go okay for the Germans if first contact gives them enough time/lucky rolls to change their orders. if they fail some key dice rolls, their men are going to be marching on to their doom.
Not that the French have planned this amazing maneuver, they are just taking some high ground, and are going to be surprised as hell to crest the ridge and see the German army in all its glory. I'm sure they will react in a happier way though!

It is nice to be reading one of these, and being able to skim read most of the orders for a change. Although it is making me itch to hit my mate up for a second 1914 game, then paint one of the two other divisions I have in my cupboard and give a 1915 game a go...

(That and I have a crazy idea for a colonization CYOA that I'm mulling over in my head, as I'm a nutter....)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Neither side in in blind panic yet, but then then the shooting hasn't started yet - its the next turn when the artillery gets set up that we will see the losses coming in. neither side's assaulting force has a halt planned into the move, so shooting should be pretty even unless the Germans reach the objective first, or their cavalry in the town really slows the French down with their shooting.

This was the bloodiest period of the war, day for day, and its about to show!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Its bad, but they have a strong force to the north of the town. They still have time to put up a line and have the french run into their lines, stationary troops have a massive advantage in firing first.
if they keep on attacking, then they are done for.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Germans have the objective, and their center is strong - they also have an inkling of the French objectives, and can use this to their advantage.

I'm expecting the north east to St Croissant to stagnate now. The Germans will dig in on the hill, while pivoting on the western flank. The focus of the battle will shift and we may well see a line forming something like this.

Solid colours are where I expect the two sides to hold, while the dotted lines are "best case" scenarios - this assumes that neither side routs from the field of course! The French should get the ridge, as they have a brigade closer than the Germans, but this then depends on them holding it.
It really comes down to if the commanders want to go all out to get their objectives or decide to hold the ground they have - we can see a shift in mentality in the french to be more defensive, with a whole brigade already digging in on Clemencau as opposed to doing something more aggressive.

There is everything to play for - as always in these things, the players will break before their soldiers - mainly I think because they can see the big picture, while a soldier in the trenches would make decisions based on what small part of the battlefield they can see.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Both sides are firmly in the defensive mindset, and barring some skirmishes around the western side of the map, we are probably seeing the lines for this battle.

The Germans have the town, the French their trenches on the town, whoever attacks now would be cut to pieces and be giving up and hope of victory. The French could bring their new brigade on on the far corner of the map and use cover to try and steal their objective, but as a green brigade, it would evaporate as soon as it took any hits.

Trin - are you using the VP system or your own?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

This is why I love Spearhead as a rules system - it really does capture the feel of a WWI battle, the planning stage means you can set up the game before you turn up, and then just laugh as your plans go horribly wrong.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

So, it looks like the French might be forgetting that units inside towns count as hard cover and can't be spotted from a long distance. they seem to thin they can waltz through the German center, when in fact, its still pretty well defended.....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Splode posted:

The thing with people who choose to observe is that they're likely to be the same people who choose to not post.

I'm loving this, every batch of turns changes the situation. It's now very much Germany's battle to lose, but they could still lose it.

Not posting in the faction threads is a good idea - when I started doing these things, people were always doing it and giving away key info.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We're certainly transitioning to a different from of battle - both sides are looking for small tactical victories over grand sweeping plans. Of course, the Germans have their objective and just need to hold it now, while the French need to retake the hill. The Germans certainly did better than expected, but now there is a veteran British brigade bearing down on their postion.

Nighttime will be important, both sides may hold and dig in, which will signal the end of the battle, as once dawn comes, they will be looking at lines of entrenchments across the map. If they continue to fight in key sectors then its going to get bloody.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Well played by both sides.

I think Trin did a great job, and his map was far more balanced than mine!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

my dad posted:

Random question: How good would this ruleset be (with minor modifications) for a game set in the USA Civil War?

There are WWII and Modern versions of the rules, but I'm not sure they would work backwards.

There should be more wargames that force you to write your battle plan before the game and then make you stick to it.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah, the fight in Bois de Blob is going to be an interesting one. I really like how both sides are creating their trench lines, but don't really have the men to fill them - will the last battle make both sides a bit more hesitant to attack?

Not having a clue where the enemies forces are is making this interesting - right now, the German Cav in Stethascope could marhc forwards unopposed, but have no idea that they currently have the numbers advantage.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Looks like the Germans are throwing in the towel!

God drat you Trin, you've got me on a WWI trip, I'm doing An LP of the AGEOD game, reading Ring of steel, I've just prepped a division of British troops for painting - and now I'm watching Tony Robinsons WWI while pinned under a sleeping baby.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 26, 2017

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

It looks like hes going to be replaced by his men.
Just play it like Moltke having his nervious breakdown....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I'm interested by the new southern defencive line, it seems to give up a lot of land and give the Germans a lot of land to cover, something like my red line below would be move efficient.

• Locked thread