Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Had fun as a Division commander last time but I'll sit this one out in the peanut gallery :munch:

Will be interesting to see how it plays out differently from last time. Really digging the idea of runners, should lead to entertaining hijinks.

Trin - are you going to go over any of the battle mechanics in the player threads? It kind of went overboard towards the end of the last thread, but some stuff like general movement/firing ranges, 'no indirect fire in 1914', 'French 75s don't have to set up to fire', 'cavalry have increased vision' are useful to know so that folks can incorporate those facts in their orders.

edit - nvm, saw the first of the rules post

Terrifying Effigies fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Trin Tragula posted:

Turn 3: The French plan was deemed to be to sweep round and attack out of the wood, so they could attempt to possibly cut off Germans attacking from the north-west corner; they should have charged here and swept away the German cav picket

Seems like the French would have been more successful if their Cav has been sent into St Croissant directly...they would have almost certainly driven out the German pickets and would have held up the German advance long enough for the infantry to get into position. I'm also interested in how well arse hortillery would be at harassing an enemy advance, say from the top of Dejeuner like in Barracuda's plan.

quote:

Infantry, Engineers, Machine Guns, Mortars, Artillery, and anything else I haven't thought of: 8"
Cavalry: 12", 16" on a road.
Runner: 8" when off-road, 30" when on-road.

This is halved for any unit which has Spotted an enemy. Units which move more than half their speed during a turn may not fire; MGs, Mortars, and Artillery may not fire if they have moved at all.

If I'm reading this right, you could potentially slow down the other side's advance if you rushed a cavalry unit out and into view and forced their units to go to half movement. Does this happen even if a unit is ordered to ignore spotted units and continue moving towards their destination?

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

I have a feeling the Germans are going to come out ahead in the end, simply because their brigade orders are all focused on taking up positions in and around St Croissant, while most of the French orders are getting to various jumping off points scattered across the south and east. The French will end up feeding a couple brigades in piecemeal against a solid line of German defenses, then struggle to adjust since their division headquarters have been left far to the rear and can't relay orders.

Also stuff like this is going to result in some prime hilarity:

Guess it will end up being an accurate representation of 1914!

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Splode posted:

Really? I feel like the french will do better as they have planned around all possibilities of where they meet the germans, whereas the germans have super comitted to the idea of the french coming from the opposite corner.
I expect that results in the germans flanking themselves really hard and then having to rely on runners to unfuck themselves, while the french brigades automatically crush them.

-- EDIT

lmao (bolding mine)

The German flank is going to get chewed up, no question, but if it gives them time for the other five/six brigades to dig in around Croissant it's going to be a very tough nut to crack. Taking and holding Croissant meets (some) German objectives and prevents the French from reaching theirs, which is what really matters in the end.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Trin Tragula posted:

The French Roll20 is, ahem, optimistic.

This will surely end well.

And they're sending the other green brigade on a bayonet charge :lol: RIP those poor shopkeepers...

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

The Germans are probably right to think that even if they got close to taking Quatreprouts, any French reinforcements would march in from the SW corner and push them out. They could potentially smash what's left of the eastern French line, but they don't gain any points for destroying French units that would offset extending themselves. Maybe an idea for the next round...

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Trin, you've stated the current losses on each side but how close are they to actually crossing 50%?

Grey Hunter posted:

So, it looks like the French might be forgetting that units inside towns count as hard cover and can't be spotted from a long distance. they seem to thin they can waltz through the German center, when in fact, its still pretty well defended.....

Can't wait for them to limber up their artillery and march past Baguette, only for a bunch of Boche to jump out and yell *boo* :moustache:

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Those were some nail-biting rolls for both sides.

The smartest thing for the Allies would be to wait until nightfall to attack La Oeuf and Q under cover of darkness...otherwise that artillery is going to take a heavy toll before they can get with range to engage.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

And to think, a couple turns ago it looked like both sides were going to pull back and dig in :black101:

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

Wait... so you're planning to change the German win condition!?

Pretty sure it's a hidden condition for either side if they get a runner back.

HEY GAIL posted:

"I lust only for cav death." --Hegel, right now

Looks like Hegel may get her wish shortly :unsmigghh:

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Personally I think the pace of the game has been fast enough to keep ahead of the dreaded morale drop off...with the German timer started there's only going to be 2-3 more turns before the game ends, and there's still the prospect for the late game excitement when the French try their midnight attack on the German lines. As a participant in the last game it became quite a slog in the latter half which compounded the effects on morale from earlier setbacks.

It helps that this game has stayed a lot more dynamic than most goon vs goon matchups...usually one side or the other pulls ahead early whereas this has been a close fought battle throughout.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Flesnolk posted:

22 turns actually. Theoretically it might be possible for the French to break through with that much time, but a nighttime battle is going to be a horrific clusterfuck, especially with the emplaced German defences. Unless at this point it no longer matters if St.C falls.

Meant 2-3 rounds aka opportunities for new orders. Definitely prefer Trin's method of running a bunch of turns per round to keep the ball rolling and lower the amount of micro by the players.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

I'm guessing with Cryodude's HQ gone there's no way for the Germans to directly command those remaining survivors huddling in the dark outside Q-Pots...is there a chance some enterprising Oberst among their ranks decides to take the initiative and see if the Allies have truly left the area?

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

my dad posted:

Yes. Hi guys. Feel free to ask any questions.

Since death has freed you from the confines of time and space, what do you think was your biggest missed opportunity in the battle?

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Yeah, if the German attack on Dejeuner had continued instead of pulling back to St. C then your charge would have probably rolled them up straight through the town. Honestly I think both sides have played a good hard-fought game throughout, gotta tip my hat to all involved for keeping it a close game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Congrats from the peanut gallery to everyone on both sides! Definitely an entertaining and close fought match, here's hoping the same for the next round!

• Locked thread