Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I would've loved it if the English went through with their idea to attack Le Dand while the Germans pulled their whole bridge in the night routine, but I guess it was not to be. It would've been a whole wacky switcheroo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It definitely was very bold of them to try to stave off the taking of Stethoscope right from the start, probably bad memories of St. Croissant ringing in their ears. If they could've made it work better, the intent might've been to keep the Germans from even reaching the middle of the map (although if that was the idea, why set up shop in the forest?).

I suppose they figured that barbed wire could slow them down enough if they came from one of the southern fords, while the forest was an advantageous point to have a battle, but none of that's going to mean anything when the Germans bypass any of the fords with their sneaky bridge. The British chose the exact wrong strategy for what the Germans were doing. The only question is, what happens when, not if, the Germans break through?

Loel posted:

Given current positions, what bridges can we see at night?

They're not going understand the difference between a ford and a bridge until the Germans show them, are they?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Apparently it was one of the special conditions the entente were told at the beginning.

Trin Tragula posted:

The local government might, in extreme circumstances, be persuaded to flood the northern part of the map, so that the battle is constricted to an area approximately 25" from the southern border of the map, in order to facilitate some kind of daring last stand. You are unaware of the precise requirements for triggering this last possibility.

Seems pretty defeatist if they're thinking it's going to go into those circumstances already. Sure, they failed to maintain control of Stethescope, but they're not out of this yet. Even when the Germans inevitably flank them, they're not out of this yet.

...and it makes their decision to defend in the north all the more confusing, since that's the area that's going to be flooded.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If the Germans swarm over and kill the engineers uncontested, will the entente thread even know about it come daybreak until they start sending orders that get no responses?

That is, assuming that their brilliant master plan of using armored cars with headlights on as scouts doesn't spot them and report back.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I...uh...I don't know what's going to happen now. How did...god.

So the British didn't go through with their terrible idea of cars with headlights on for scouts (which might've actually made the Germans panic), but they still know that the Germans are...somewhere out there, across the river. I'm not sure they have it in them to figure out that there's a bridge though.

...I guess whoever moves to leave the forest first is going to get spotted and fired on, unless they decide to move through the forest, in which case...I don't know what forest combat is like. One of the Germans has correctly guessed that the British dug into Effyaders forest, just they didn't...stay there. I guess the British suppose that if they keep going back and forth between positions, that's the same as fortifying both?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

In the last battle there was a whole thing where the French and the Germans both kept a healthy contingent of their forces fortifying their western flanks, and both sides suffered for the lack of manpower that caused in the eastern offensive. I think that's what the English are thinking of here, especially when they found themselves with only one brigade to deal with defense along the entire line.

Conversely, the Germans might be making the same mistake all over again, the early offensive has them spooked, so now they have a buttload of troops digging in for an attack that can't come because of how many men were lost in the early offensive.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm a little miffed that both threads independently had people guess that their could be another army in the forest.

I'm not really sure what the best move for the Germans is right now. They're mustering their forces to destroy the British in the north (haha) but that's leaving their nightbridge all unused. I guess what's going to happen at the end of the day is the Germans marching into Effyaders, wiping up the armored cars and stray engineers (unless the British reinforcement shows up in time, and even then they might be outnumbered), while back in blob the two brigades neutralize eachother for the timebeing.

It's like the British were trying to play a shell game to make it seem like they were everywhere, and ended up being nowhere. Right now they have the most information to work from, just they aren't really able to use it, and the trouble with officers going awol doesn't help either.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The English are sinking into pointing fingers and arguing, while the most drama the Germans have had is a little micromanaging. Maybe they'll all cool down once they have the enemy to deal with, or maybe they'll start striking out on their own.

I really can't wrap my head around reinforcement schedules, but so far as I can tell, the Germans are focusing northwards, while the Entente are going for a more even distribution along the river, with a bit of a focus at the center. That seems like it'll favor the Germans.

Still, a lot really depends on how the Battle of the Blob goes. Who will see who first, how will the fighting go,, will either of them retreat? The Germans there are already being given orders to go north, will they take that as an excuse to get out of there? Even a broken and fleeing cavalry brigade may distract and confuse the Entente forces while the proper attacking force comes along to ruin their day.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Man, I'm never right. I was so sure that since the two brigades were so close they'd have to spot one another at some point. There were also a few diagrams of the British force sweeping back down southeast through the forest, but I guess nobody ordered that. At least the Germans have the trench.

Maybe they'll send some of the currently entrenched brigade into that forest hole. It's slightly more forward.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Oh god, they went through that whole rigmarole of building a bridge to give their forces a sneaky and faster way over the river, and they even snagged an enemy trench, and they're planning to give all that up?! I know I've seen the British diagrams, but where do the Germans think those two infantry units are headed?

If they don't make sure to protect that bridge, the British may find it and use it to send their own forces across the river (if they ever get around to understanding the utility of bridges over fords). They certainly already started out aggressive this game.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Why would you leave the trench?! :psyduck:

The British's foolishness of leaving the trenches open drew them into a false sense of security.

The British had a rough start, but right now they're in as good a position as they could hope for. The Germans are only a little bit past the river, and they'll have to fight real hard to get further. At this rate they'll never reach Coq.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Germans in the trench all died when they took a little jaunt up north past the occupied British trench. The dudes out in the open field are new infantry.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well the Germans a trying to focus all their forces in the north, they're just trying to blindly charge through enemy territory to do so. I guess they thought the entirety of the British Army was hiding in Effyaders. That's why they've lost two units of cavalry by sending them charging away from perfectly defensible positions.

I suppose it's nice to try to make use of the cavalry's mobility, but it didn't work out at all.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Any match that ends with the Germans west of La Dand is some kind of victory, even if they're having problems establishing themselves west of the river.

Who ever heard of a WWI general quitting because he felt bad about ordering men to their deaths?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Trin, did you mean to show the German cavalry engineer in mid-update overview in the Entente post? I would think he'd be safely hidden in the trench that they can't see.

The Germans just might be able to make a breakthrough in the north, especially if the British think that they're almost all wiped out and try to move into the northern trench. Their biggest worry is if the British attack in the south, they'll be able to take up a position on the east side of the river uncontested.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I was really worried about the British crossing the river and taking ground, but I guess if they're going to charge right in, they'll all be dead by the end of that offensive anyways, a lot like what happened to the Germans. It's weird, they're not wrong in thinking that the southern flank of the Germans isn't as defended as it should be, but it's such a weird assumption that a lonely cavalry engineer is their only man outside of Stethescope.

Also it looks like the Germans are doing some weird shuffling of their forces. Are they pulling a unit out of Effyaders to take down south instead of just sending their fresh unit south instead?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It seems like the British have overall more men on the field right now, but the way all the German forces are focused in the forest might favor them in the battle there and do some work to even things out.

It's surprising that the night plan to cut the phone lines worked perfectly, but if an engineer can fix it, the Germans just so happen to have a man in Stethoscope right now to put on the job.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

This has probably been the best turn for the Germans in a while. That southern trench along the river is free again to take up again, so they don't need to give so much ground with their southern defensive line, and that dead British expedition to Le Dand is all the less British to defend against. Those plans the British were laying out for where to set up in Le Dand reminded me of all those German plans to set up at the western edge of Effyaders.

I feel like the northernmost German unit is in a great position for...something, but I can't for the life of me think of what. They've missed their chance to easily take out the artillery, though they can still try if they're so bold. Maybe they could circle round and attack the British from behind while they send another unit to attack from the front? But they really don't have the men to risk that sort of move, or the positioning to really make that work well. As it is, they're just keeping their heads down and getting slowly shelled into oblivion.

I don't see much of anything for the British to do now, they've got a pretty good defensive position, and they don't have enough men to keep their defensive line intact while making any offensive moves. All they can really do is plug holes and hope the Germans crash against them.

And what's that goober doing on the northern road just chilling next to a corpse, far away from any officer to rush him back to the front?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Oh you jerk, if you're going to second-guess your amazing perfect stellar immaculate guess, you could at least do it in time to change your orders.

Also it looks like the Germans are planning to attack the central trenches (but not charge and attempt to occupy them?) while the British are planning to vacate them. Amazing.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Another turn where things have gone as bad as possible for the Germans. Operation: Boomerang was not only useless and ineffective, it exposed previously safe and hidden units to death just to shoot at nothing. Sniper4625 is going to be feeling real stupid after the battle ends and he can read everything else that happened.

Lenoon's line of fire searching for the German artillery seems reasonable, they already knew the artillery were right up next to the river with aerial spotting, so it follows that they'd cross and try to get up as close to the forest as possible, and the barbed wire provides a line that already guides the eye along those lines. His orders were also a wee bit further south than where the main gunline was actually set up, and at a slightly different angle.

quote:

quote:

The only thing that makes me dubious is his bizarre last second freakout about how he probably got the location wrong right when it was too late to change orders, because that makes this whole thing just a bit too idiotically serendipitous. Also this whole affair is juxtaposed with the grand German artillery plan of...??????? I don't think the westernmost ones even fired in the update, and the last plan on where to shoot I saw was more piling shells into those same central trenches, as if all that extra firepower can build up and go back in time to save the 4th cavalry from being wiped out during their riverside stroll.

And if I understand correctly, some British engineer got drunk and demolished a bridge on their side? Is that some old order from when they were panicking? Because the Germans are now definitely not going to be taking any more ground than what the British foolishly give to them any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The objectives for this game were never a simple "get men to this point" like the last game had. It was all about limiting the German advance westward, and they've still got Germans in Stethoscope, Chemin Creux, and across the river in Effyaders (although there's now the possibility they might get pushed back out of the forest at this rate). Even if they did punch all the way through La Dand, Trin mentioned being able to extend the map if need be.

I really have to wonder what all the civilians (or NCOs if they have them there?) think of this crazy British man on a horse slashing at every phone wire he sees. Seems like the sort of thing that would make some noise. He'll probably get wiped up by the first reinforcements that come through La Dand, but he might get off a lucky shot before he goes down.

• Locked thread