Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Les boches ne passeront pas!

Sign me up for Entente

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Parisians Celebrating Flags (On the Same Day as the Battle of St. Croissant)

Cheers to the Germans for taking their hits and powering through a pretty unfortunate opening deployment.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 4, 2017

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

xthetenth posted:

ARF also did a decent amount of the work of making the charge stick by picking off units routing suppressed, and Hunt's division paid a lot of the cost in blood of the cav charge. Croissant wasn't going anywhere unless maybe if we had more morning time to play with to get a big sweeping encirclement off with all our forces.

Actually, maybe setting things up so that the timer progressed at full speed overnight was a mistake because it amplified the problems from the map giving St. C to the Germans since so much of it passed during the night.

My Dad's heroic sacrifice (Or rather, his choice to take the field at all), was what really gimped us during the night. The timer had nothing to do with it.

It will be my opinion to the last of my days that our final attack on St. Croissant would have worked. The German defences were all oriented south, and if we were able to actually give orders, we would have smashed around 60 chits into 20, right at dawn.

It's also possible that every all of our attacking brigades would have taken 2 companies of damage and then rout. But I was willing to believe in Elan.

As things turned out, we could only attempt to change orders once every 4 turns. One failure meant another 4 turns of waiting. So, everything was called off.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I don't think the balance of the map was unduly skewed. The French did well to overcome the outrageous German advantage in firepower, and our worst performances came down to misunderstandings and unfortunate orders. Our biggest missed opportunity was allowing 6th Division to settle in for 18 hours and accomplish nothing besides pasting 2 unfortunate infantry companies.

We were quite lucky that the German opening was ultra-hosed. 96e and 98e, our insane bayonet chargers, did almost nothing to St. Croissants defenders, but managed to rout a really confused German Brigade that was caught in between St. C and Baguette. If things hadn't worked out that way, we would have lost 2 brigades for no gain whatsoever. The biggest factor in their loss was how St. C was basically surrounded on all sides by German forces. We didn't have anything in the pre-battle orders that could call off those attacks.

54e had orders that really made me nervous. Their path took them into Bois de Baguette, but instead of deploying along the forest, their orders had them marching with half the brigade on each end of the forest, sideswiping Baguette. They were in a bad spot, but I think they only routed as quick as they did because they were split in two and exposed to boot.

The poor 119e, had orders to advance into a small forest, but ended up deploying all of its infantry companies completely outside of cover. In effect, they burst out of the woods directly into the sights of a zillion German MGs and infantry and were turned into dust.

These, and along with my dad's wild ride, were the worst exchanges made by our side. On the whole, I think the French units were quite capable. I think our strategy of distinguishing "support" and "assault" brigades was sound, but as things turned out, all of our "assault" brigades were obliterated in the first 6 hours and three of them (96, 98, 54) were routed for little gain. After that, we lost the ability to make concentrated assaults, until our cavalry and BEF reinforcements arrived.

None of this is meant to be shaming or anything, but just a counter to the argument that the French only had a chance because the Germans hosed up. For the later battles on Dejeuner especially, we were far too passive with out unengaged forces, and overly optimistic with our active forces. We took more of our own forces out of the fight, figuratively speaking, than the Germans managed to kill.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Mar 6, 2017

• Locked thread