Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I want to be in the Hon Hon Hontente (Give me some random french command, I want to be DLC content)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

HEY GAIL posted:

and the poetry has to be bad. i cannot stress enough how terrible it must be.

Is good poetry a '16 or '17 unlock?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I agree with my dad about the map, and I'm glad that someone else felt similarly to me about it. The road system is a huge advantage for the Germans, and it's kind of funny that trying desperately to make up for it helped us get things right off the bat.

Just be a dear next time Trin, and factor in the map/everything balance into the win conditions. It's fine and cool to know that we might be the underdogs and one of three objectives is all we need to count as coming out ahead or that we might badly outnumber them and need all our objectives to win, but grade us on that scale. Honestly it's a really cool idea and it plays up something more than grand battleplans drawn up ahead of time, and I think that's a good thing.

steinrokkan posted:

I will take full credit for failing to notice that all brigades of my division had conditional orders not to stop marching even if they encounter an enemy. That was a baffling decision, and I don't remember how it came to be, and why. I think it may have been decided as a default setting for the entire corps? I just know it happened.

Anyway, the strong initial push for St. Croissant and its execution weren't problems. Problem was that even after identifying an enemy threat, our conditional orders were the worst possible thing that could have happened.

The attack at Q and its execution were debated in the thread, and unfortunately the things I was worried about happened. We should have waited a couple turns for an opportunity to reinforce the assault force, instead of rushing it for no good reason. That would have also reduced the likelihood of a total tactical failure happening due to negligence.

That's totally understandable. First orders of the game. For reference, even I, the fabled hero of Dejeuner Ridge (:v:), blatantly loving whiffed my first orders. I had everything planned out, it was a masterpiece, I had plans for multiple cases of enemies west of St. Croissant for whether or not I could take up aggressive positions. You know what I didn't have? Any orders for enemies east of there. I thought about it and I just didn't have any cases for falling back to plan merde (where I'd set up short and prep the arty) even though I knew there'd be possibilities where I couldn't get things done. I don't think any of my other orders were flawed, but that was a big one for my brigade, and part of learning is mistakes like that.

Also I nearly made a big mistake once by copying a default block order for stance, so that's totally understandable.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

HEY GAIL posted:

If I see that french cav, I will tip my hat to them as gallant foes.

Thanks, but actually seriously a lot of the blame there goes to my dad. He was dead on with that opening. I do think I did a good job with the orders there, but it was two parts opportunity for one part execution at least (also I'm pretty sure I win the coveted Trin Tragula "can this guy stop typing for once in his drat life" award for my orders).

Also congrats to the Germans for having a better handle on the objectives and how they worked. Trin, I think that in the future we might want take and hold to be the order of the day lest we both slam mobile forces past each other into the stretch goal and then write them off.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

my dad posted:

In honor of another certain person, you know who you are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afhMMcAHlKw

Wow rude.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

Partly what this man said, with a small slice of "well, if my initial instincts tell me the line should go about there (which was slightly more generous to you in places), if I move the line back to halfway on Dejeuner and back off Pasteur to about here, that opens up some more interesting possibilities for 1915". I may tweak that line further, and you will have some discretion in where you place the actual trenches before the battle begins; that might mean an opportunity to shove forward again some more with (abstracted) local attacks before the big push.

That's cool with me. As a heads up from one GM to another (Yes you're a GM running a campaign, just in an RP system with a very combat biased ruleset :getin:), a good way to handle this in the future is acknowledge the players' achievements, and put the blame for things going that way on the NPCs.

I know you're running a tabletop wargame that happens to have been part of a narrative campaign so you might not have even thought to use that toolkit, but it plays a lot better if you use the fact that the NPCs are all your units to do it. Just a brief mention of something like "Despite the French units holding out on Dejeuner and Pasteur, their reinforcements were in worse order and came off worse for it. Later historians would agree this would prove to be important in later battles." would address the criticism and give you more free reign to make gameplay choices without worrying about ruffling feathers.

lenoon posted:

Not so, both sides expected long edge deployment - if we'd have expected short edge and planned for it, we would not have lost ridiculously hard as we'd probably have rolled up on st croissant en masse shortly after they Germans arrived.

Now we can go back through the threads, the observer thread figures this out immediately and the scale of panic leading to those German reserves being called up suggests that our accidental move towards this strategy caused some serious worries.

As it was, both sides did that whole ships of the line thing on their way to the objectives, when north south deployment would have crossed the T and continued to do so while the Germans scrambled to redeploy.

Funny how quickly the armchair strategy develops after a battle, eh?

Just because the French plan worked better for the objective doesn't mean that it wasn't disrupted. Remember that we thought there were solid odds that we'd be staging to Pasteur ridge for part of an attack on St. C with our eastern forces, instead of them getting drawn into a bloody slugging match.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Jaguars! posted:

The real question here is which general earned the moniker "the butcher of St Croissant"?

I'm just sad Mon Pere rode off rather than bringing in a full assault when the BEF came so I could make my joke about Croissant full of wurst and drizzled in the creme anglais sounding like an American breakfast sandwich.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 6, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

ARF also did a decent amount of the work of making the charge stick by picking off units routing suppressed, and Hunt's division paid a lot of the cost in blood of the cav charge. Croissant wasn't going anywhere unless maybe if we had more morning time to play with to get a big sweeping encirclement off with all our forces.

Actually, maybe setting things up so that the timer progressed at full speed overnight was a mistake because it amplified the problems from the map giving St. C to the Germans since so much of it passed during the night.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Tias posted:

Who commanded the french unit initially moving onto La Oeuf? Looking back on it I don't think my jägers stood a chance, but considering that we eventually consolidated, I guess I held them up for a while :shobon:

The cav was me, the inf was Hunt, which was serving as a sort of reserve.

Also that's a good point about the French orders. Not a single brigade as far as I can tell had successfully written contingency plans for the strength of the German position around St. C and the way they'd deployed. Just because we'd considered it in our overall planning didn't mean we'd truly incorporated thought about what we'd need to do and not do in case purple. Even my obsessive orders which took me forever to write whiffed when presented with enemies from that direction.

I do think that Croissant was the German objective to lose though, it's not like the French orders were a collective fit of elan larping madness, they were a conscious choice in response to the knowledge that we would not get to croissant first. I will point out that our failure to consider the case of the DZs existed, but it was more that we considered that the plan would be fine without realizing early contact would pull the supporting elements apart.

Also, objectives that compelled attack and enemies with three times the expected MGs was a Rude surprise.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Hey Frenchies, are we keeping the gang together?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Heck yeah for getting the band back together.

Crazycryodude posted:

Well, if you insist

Mon pere is dead, non? :v: Come be a corps commander!

It might actually be better to have you on staff to poke holes in the scenario and challenge assumptions whichever side you're on. Honestly given the state of French morale you might be better off staying German despite my blatant poaching attempts.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 6, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

Ich bin ein Berliner.

I feel personally betrayed, you were cool to hang out with. (Have fun, and good luck!)

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

Seconding that non-playing staff officers who want to restrict themselves to one thread and give advice and opinions without having to command their own brigade are more than welcome.

Slim Jim was one of the most useful people on the French staff and he didn't command a brigade, there's a lot of roles for people like that.

Also you'd be surprised how many people messed up with the rules.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Oh no, it is actually going to be a cav brigade command chit joust, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I will confess to being incredibly jealous of the German helmets. Especially the private issue ones with gorgeous Wappen (front plate).

Look at that, it's a thing of beauty.

• Locked thread