Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

You still haven't provided a single example of a charge against positions from last game, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
In both of those cases there are no prepared positions, just ad-hoc stands where contact was made. At STC we were faster at bringing up reinforcements and they never even closed in to charge. Around Pasteur, calling what we had a "prepared position" would be simply untrue.

We have still no idea what happens when a peer force charges a peer force in an entrenchment. All we know is that charges are deadly enough as is, and trenches are only likely to make it worse.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Trin, could you give that German division and its brigades some designations? I'd like to make a new batch of banners, I know the CP are mulching through them way faster than they ought to, but c'est la vie.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
What is with those dice? In two scenarios, the Germans have never once been favoured by the initiative. When they want to charge, they lose it. When they want to fire, they get it. Three brigades routed this turn, while Entente consistently rolls Retreat Suppressed whenever stuff looks bad, which is probably the best possible result nine times out of ten. Shaking my drat head.

EDIT: also I thought planes could not see into cover?

EDIT2: also how did the German indirect fire do? I thought they were supposed to target that huge cluster of BEF troops in the southern FdE trench?

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 29, 2017

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

wedgekree posted:

this has been fairly messy - 2:1 casualties inflicted by the Brits as far as companies and neither side has quite gottne thier full artillery complement online yet.

I love how Bacarruda somehow counted six German cavalry brigades and three infantry brigades dead.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Trin said you can't roll off the map, it bounces you back with an unspecified movement penalty.

So yeah, I'd say 2:1 odds they never make it past the river. And about a 5% chance they wake up in Effyaders City.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Also, I've just run a count. The Germans have lost 22 chits to routing. That's a brigade and a half.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
So how many turns did the 86th or whatever number are those remnants that were supposed to go south to block such a manoeuvre stand around doing nothing?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
The Germans could break through anywhere they chose, that much is a fact. But unless they can restore their phones quickly (and stop those brigades that I'm fairly sure still have orders to move on?), they won't be able to capitalise on that.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Das Panzer posted:

Oh man , this thread. :shepface:
Glad I'm finally done moving and can actually stay caught up with this thread.

On a different note, what is with everyone and ditching trenches? Is it some sort of aversion to trench warfare, or just MAX SPEED charge obsession due to French lunatics waggling sabres? Regardless it's ruddy brilliant.

I think it's because they have a very ugly colour on the battle map

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
You could get some ugly on your chits, then, and you probably do. Just look at how they spread it whenever they park anywhere for too long!

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I think it's because you can't win a battle sitting in the trenches all day.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I just realised something.

People who want to push, to manoeuvre, to outflank, to be aggressive - they are the people who seek to win the war on the battlefield. They see opportunities and appreciate how fleeting they are.

People who want to sit in the trenches until Judgement Day are the people who recognise the war cannot be wan on the battlefield. They see the dangers and appreciate that the only way to win is to turn the conflict into a war of attrition. And the only way to win a war of attrition is to make the enemy attrition himself more in a wearing-out battle.

It is you. It is you who is Douglas Haig.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Looks like that good engagement with 20th Brigade brought some wind back in the Germans' sails. Jaguars! is planning an offensive, however limited it may be. The planning for it is quite thorough, I have to say.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

SlothfulCobra posted:

This has probably been the best turn for the Germans in a while. That southern trench along the river is free again to take up again, so they don't need to give so much ground with their southern defensive line, and that dead British expedition to Le Dand is all the less British to defend against. Those plans the British were laying out for where to set up in Le Dand reminded me of all those German plans to set up at the western edge of Effyaders.

I feel like the northernmost German unit is in a great position for...something, but I can't for the life of me think of what. They've missed their chance to easily take out the artillery, though they can still try if they're so bold. Maybe they could circle round and attack the British from behind while they send another unit to attack from the front? But they really don't have the men to risk that sort of move, or the positioning to really make that work well. As it is, they're just keeping their heads down and getting slowly shelled into oblivion.

I don't see much of anything for the British to do now, they've got a pretty good defensive position, and they don't have enough men to keep their defensive line intact while making any offensive moves. All they can really do is plug holes and hope the Germans crash against them.

And what's that goober doing on the northern road just chilling next to a corpse, far away from any officer to rush him back to the front?

I'm not sure about the sight ranges, but I would find it terribly funny if the Germans decided to send that brigade on a reverse La Dand trip. Do the British have phones on this side of the final river? Because if their phone endpoint is Effyaders, then the Germans just need to cut one road in order to sever the phone link. And from there the brigade would be home free (except not at all).

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
He's a single chit. I think he does fight like a regular coy, but when reinforcements come in and he gets swatted by a full brigade, he doesn't really stand a chance.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Honestly, steinrokkan works best when he is not put under any kind of pressure. In those conditions, he is a great asset. When I was Corps, I knew I could rely on him to come up with plans and ideas, and never forget to point out something I was forgetting.

But the moment he does get into a situation where there is pressure and something does not go his way, he immediately starts playing the blame game like a champ. He gets salty as all hell and does not hesitate to export it to others. Sandman being in his division last game was a perpetual feedback loop that only stopped when they both ran out of troops and could chill out for a while. (Then they both got more troops and it started again, albeit not as strongly.)

I think the only position where he could actually be an asset when on the offence is Corps Command. That way, he can't pass the buck any more and has to deal with things rather than yell at others/Trin for dealing with them poorly with the benefit of hindsight. And although I disagree with his perpetually defensive inclination, I think he could put some work in when on that level.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Remember when back during Grey's LP the Entente thread started figuring out what the Germans were getting up to by checking the reply counter of their thread? That was fun times.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Eh, I don't recall anyone actually getting anything accurate out of it. It was mostly "oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo THEY ARE POSTING SO MUCH GUYS they must be playing seven-dimensional Jumanji on their end with their eight army corps!"

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

TildeATH posted:

You read posting counts of the enemy thread, then you read the enemy thread, then you claim to understand what people are planning based on your posting count analysis.

That's rude and a completely baseless accusation that casts aspersion upon the honour of my former teammates :colbert:

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
The problem with both of these concepts right now is that neither side has enough troops to really man the front line. If you create communication trenches to your back lines, but have nothing in your back lines, then all you've done was give the enemy a free trench when they attack. If you create reserves, but leave gaps in your line or render it too spread out to hold off an attack, then all you've done was help the enemy defeat you in detail.

EDIT: also this game does not simulate different kinds of trenches or the fact that a trench is designed to be a lot more protective from the front than from the back, meaning that counter-attacking a lost trench is going to be nearly as deadly as attacking the enemy line in the first place, while creating a communication trench lets the enemy approach you at leisure if they so desire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
You know, I do not recall ever reading anyone telling me what they think of my command style.

Maybe it's for the better.

• Locked thread