Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I recently read Si Spurrier's run of X-Men Legacy: Legion (or whatever the proper name of that series is), and was pretty surprised by how much the show had in common with it. So that was kinda neat.
The overt racism in that series was a bit less neat though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Farouk saved this show imo. The actor nailed every single scene

I never got the transition from fat blob monster to suave and chill man though

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Fartbox posted:

Farouk saved this show imo. The actor nailed every single scene

I never got the transition from fat blob monster to suave and chill man though

Fat blob monster was a form he took just to frighten David. Suave and chill man is his "true" form.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
With how the show progressed I never understood why he was trying so hard to frighten David either, when they later reveal that he is actually fond of David. When he's possessing Lenny he's not really acting like Farouk either. There was a very clear shift from season 1

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Yeah, I like where the character went, but it's a pretty big swerve even from what they were doing in the second season.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

The reason I watched Legion is not because the narrative made sense.

I'm usually all about story structure and character development, but Legion was so creative and different that the lack of anything straightforward didn't bother me much. In fact, I was only really bothered when things were straightforward.

From a pure critical analysis perspective I'm kind of failing here because I don't think I'm doing a very good job of elucidating just what it was that I found so good about the show. But it was different, it had a unique voice, and it was playful and experimental and while niche, I think it will prove to be a touchstone for future works. I don't know what it will be or when it will happen, but there's going to be some big TV or movie scene or element that will be embraced by popular culture, and we'll be able to say "You know what show did that first? Legion."

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t know how innovative it was but it was neat and did something different with comic book characters which I hope more people run with. Especially z list ones Marvel couldn’t or wouldn’t be able to do something with. It was the kind of special that the Hannibal show had. I’m glad it exists.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Corte posted:

I appreciate your perspective and that's definitely a better way to look at it but I'm pretty sure they specifically state at some point that David can't be saved.
Sorry for resurrecting a dead thread but Hulu *just* put S3 up on, like, Monday morning so I went and got a chance to finish the series out.

From a very certain perspective, no, the David that we know can't be saved. That's kind of what this whole season was about -- he's doing that obsessive perseveration thing that accompanies traumatic breakups and comes to the conclusion that he can Fix This if he just goes back and gives things a nudge.

It's like "if I had picked up the groceries that day, she wouldn't have been stressed, we wouldn't have fought, I wouldn't have blacked out drunk and..."

But that's a cop-out. He's still the David that used his power in a really creepy way to force/persuade Syd. That still happens, that's still a part of who he is. I had some really complicated feelings at the beginning of S3 because I didn't want the show to shy away from the ramifications of that action, or of his running away with Lenny as a result. And overall, I think they did quite well with it. Every season's been concerned with how David deals with his baggage. The first season was the ambiguity between his power and his disease, along with Farouk's influence. Second was harnessing his abilities, growing into his own, but being held back because he was just covering his faults with power leading to major fuckups and not having the capability to accept that he hosed up. The third really became a question of how you fix something and make it go away -- and you can't, you just have to become a different person. I like that there were big questions about the weirdo cult he had created at the onset, how he was using this facade to force himself to be calm and collected and at peace when he was still, fundamentally, trying desperately to find a way to fix everything.

Farouk's unexpected growth at the end was a pretty good touch. He doesn't slay the monster or banish it, but transforms it.

I still think the tonal shifts between seasons was something rough, and the series doesn't quite capture that essence of "Is this in my head, or is this a result of my power" that S1 brought, but it's definitely a great watch. Mostly, I think, because it doesn't feel like it was tampered with too much to meet a studio or network expectation.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
The best part of Legion was the music videos.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Heard of a voice on Castlevania season 3 and I was all. "Where have I heard that wonderfully accented voice before, it's so familiar?"

It was Navid Negahban, bringing in his excellence.

night slime
May 14, 2014
That's crazy he's in it. Legion and Castlevania were my two favorite shows from recent years. He deserves all the roles IMO

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Mraagvpeine posted:

The best part of Legion was the music videos.

I often describe Legion to my friends as the longest music video in existence.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Watching Sesame Street with my toddler and juuust made the connection between Carey and Mr. Noodle.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Watching Sesame Street with my toddler and juuust made the connection between Carey and Mr. Noodle.

Hooooo-lyyyyy shiiiiit. My toddler was watching Sesame Street today and I was just sitting there thinking Mr. Noodle looked so familiar. (Even stranger, I had just wistfully looked at my Control Panel threads and thought, "Man, it's a shame that no one is talking about Legion anymore.")

night slime
May 14, 2014
Mr Noodle's debut is Season 4 of Legion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

night slime
May 14, 2014

Zzulu posted:

With how the show progressed I never understood why he was trying so hard to frighten David either, when they later reveal that he is actually fond of David. When he's possessing Lenny he's not really acting like Farouk either. There was a very clear shift from season 1

There's not really thematic consistency between seasons I agree. The best way I can think of it is that he's not directly possessing or embodying Lenny, but Lenny is like a messenger/avatar doing his bidding. I.e., Lenny has a core personality that shines through (think the early scene where she taunts him in the Haller house) but it's distorted most of the time by being given orders to carry out. It seems like the scenes that are most "Farouk" are the Bolero sequence, the psychiatrist stuff, or the S1 finale fight.

My guess with the apparent tonal shift in the way he regards David, in light of the parenting themes prominent in S3, is that S1 he's like some sort of abusive dad trying to get him to do whatever he wants, since he knows or fears they're inevitably going to split soon. S2 they're both apart and struggling, and S3 they just want to fix things.