Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

or he was just lying, which would explain why charles-era farouk looks younger than david-era farouk and also provides a more reasonable timeframe for his personal growth instead of 2000 yo psychic parasite suddenly discovers the power of love

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Video
Jan 17, 2004

xaiver did also hit him with that brain bullet. it was played as if it had no real effect, but maybe it did change something in farouk?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Echo Video posted:

xaiver did also hit him with that brain bullet. it was played as if it had no real effect, but maybe it did change something in farouk?

I figured that maybe Xavier tried that trick the first time around, so Farouk knew better.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ex post facho posted:

i guess oliver's prediction was right in the end after all

Do we think 1+1 that Oliver said was really "one + one" as in "one's self" and not the number one. And thusly Farouk plus Farouk.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Echo Video posted:

Pretty sure that they brain bullet & mace were only meant to transport Farouk into Xavier & David’s own minds where they’d have an advantage.

David hit young Farouk with his mace and *poof* they’re inside Legion and the many different David’s attack. Xavier hits old Farouk with the bullet and *poof* they’re in the blank white calm of Xaviers mind.

Echo Video
Jan 17, 2004

beanieson posted:

Pretty sure that they brain bullet & mace were only meant to transport Farouk into Xavier & David’s own minds where they’d have an advantage.

David hit young Farouk with his mace and *poof* they’re inside Legion and the many different David’s attack. Xavier hits old Farouk with the bullet and *poof* they’re in the blank white calm of Xaviers mind.

Yeah, that is probably it. Good thinking.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Never mind, I was being snarky

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 14, 2019

night slime
May 14, 2014
The scene with David hitting Farouk with the morning star is funny as gently caress, especially the scream

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Odd series in the end. Think they should have had more episodes or maybe another series to be at the point they ended up at. Farouk was a grade A monster up until this series. I think you can project his arc but you never really see why his arc would end up where it did. In a game of thrones kind of way you can assume it but its not in the material.

I think David 'winning' would have been more palatable if he had made people more objectively miserable. Like he was no prize but his impact was more abstract in a way most of the time. Like he wrecks Clark's life for the second time but the first time around they showed the impact of what he did, the recovery, the body horror. In season 3 I couldn't really remember what his husband looks like then he get alzheimered and then Clark gets tossed out the airlock immediately. Or like the Syd rape was totally disconnected to what he was doing in season 2 in general. Like he spends like 3 or 4 episodes trying to learn to see where people are coming from or in the absence of empathy working letting them tell you. Rapists don't give a poo poo where their victims are coming from, it's part of the whole crime. Was just dissonant to everything else. Dunno maybe the internet has made me self induce adhd but I just didn't give a poo poo because I felt disconnected or the show whiplashed too often.

I wish we had gotten more Switch. She was emotionally invested for reasons that were not entirely transparent, had cool abilities, had I thought good screen presence and she just gets abused and then becomes a time Jesus and goes to her home planet. Wish we had more there, not too much but it seems like an opportunity missed.

In the complete opposite direction I didn't give a poo poo about professor x and his wife. I didn't read the comics, I don't care about the movies. It would have been better if future farouk had tried to resolve the situation between David and past Farouk and himself. He grows up adopted but not hosed by Farouk or guided by a non malevolent Farouk who's been trying to make the connection for a while. Anything but English guy who you're supposed to assume is so good.

I dunno for all my complaints the show was visually fantastic, you couldn't ever predict what it wanted to do episode to episode. Like every fight scene in the mind exceeded any marvel movie I've seen by a considerable distance. Give me rap battles, shape shifter battles, dance battles and tuning forks anyday of the week over oafs punching each other or doing lasers.

Also the guy who plays Farouk is a Golden God. I need to see him more things. Season 1 Aubrey Plaza was to me a stand out performance for her. Think they wanted her around the other seasons as a name because she wasn't up to much someone else couldn't have been doing. Kerry shoot the tuning fork, what have we lost. David, Switch, Oliver, Cary/Kerry were also very good. Syd was pretty good but there's a lot of David idolizing her in there so I don't think she got the space to do what she could do when she's being idolised. She had her moments

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 14, 2019

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Goofballs posted:

In the complete opposite direction I didn't give a poo poo about professor x and his wife. I didn't read the comics, I don't care about the movies. It would have been better if future farouk had tried to resolve the situation between David and past Farouk and himself. He grows up adopted but not hosed by Farouk or guided by a non malevolent Farouk who's been trying to make the connection for a while. Anything but English guy who you're supposed to assume is so good.

Yeah, I think this would have been way better. Having two characters come in halfway through the last season, take up an entire boring episode for their intro, then play the driving force for resolving the conflict in the finale is pretty bad storytelling.

The theme of yearning for love being the cause for conflict is a good one. Farouk could make the overture and Syd's 2nd upbringing is what makes David willing to try. Makes the story neater though I'm not sure anything makes it jive with Season 1 Farouk. Might have to do a rewatch.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I watched season 1 but not season 2 recently. Season 1 Farouk is a pure monster who gets off on the amount of terror he can inflict. The shift should have happened season 2 or in a longer running season 3. There are things there in season 2 I think but they could just as or more easily be read as Farouk continuing to gently caress with him especially given the other things Farouk is doing, ie Lenny abuse and sister murder

night slime
May 14, 2014

rapeface posted:

Yeah, I think this would have been way better. Having two characters come in halfway through the last season, take up an entire boring episode for their intro, then play the driving force for resolving the conflict in the finale is pretty bad storytelling.

The theme of yearning for love being the cause for conflict is a good one. Farouk could make the overture and Syd's 2nd upbringing is what makes David willing to try. Makes the story neater though I'm not sure anything makes it jive with Season 1 Farouk. Might have to do a rewatch.

The show was kinda gimped by having X-Men movies come out concurrently, because of Professor X not beng able to show up. Think they relented this season cause Dark Phoenix was the last one.

A lot of the most interesting stuff was just relegated to offscreen. A season showing David destroy the world that ends with the orb thing, a season showing Farouk and Charles's original battle, they would have been nice.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

night slime posted:

a season showing Farouk and Charles's original battle, they would have been nice.

They had that scene in S1

night slime
May 14, 2014

regulargonzalez posted:

They had that scene in S1

I mean like the fallout and adoption whatever else. It would be a nice juxtaposition with a world-ending season I think.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

ex post facho posted:

now I want to rewatch all the farouk scenes. Really hope this comes to bluray soon, its one of the few pieces of media I always want available.

It's not physical media, but the entire show is available for purchase on google play. Probably itunes too, if you're into that sort of thing.

I don't get any tv channels at home, but this show was an instant buy for me.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Wafflecopper posted:

or he was just lying, which would explain why charles-era farouk looks younger than david-era farouk and also provides a more reasonable timeframe for his personal growth instead of 2000 yo psychic parasite suddenly discovers the power of love

Him being 2000 years old doesn't necessarily mean his current body is.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

It may not even needed to really be "growth." It really does seem like a smart move for Farouk to just not gently caress with Xavier or his son, let them be. Farouk gets to live on in his body havin' a good ole time, and all he really has to worry about is steering clear of those guys

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Slightly Absurd posted:

It may not even needed to really be "growth." It really does seem like a smart move for Farouk to just not gently caress with Xavier or his son, let them be. Farouk gets to live on in his body havin' a good ole time, and all he really has to worry about is steering clear of those guys

Ha yeah, he even puts out a feeler to David ... "So, wanna come see me later and rule the world together?"

He didn't suddenly switch to Lawful Good. Maybe a change from Neutral Evil to True Neutral or something.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Here's a good, high-quality version of the "Mother" cover by Dan Stevens (there's a slight hitch at ~5:03, but otherwise, its perfect).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9VOhnj43K8

One thing I will never forget about this show is the way they selected their music choices. They were stellar through the entire series, and the cover interpretations were universally both good and unique takes on the original material.

And here's "Peace, Love and Understanding"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjVFeWMY0Z0

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 14, 2019

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Him being 2000 years old doesn't necessarily mean his current body is.

How many years were spent on the Astral Plane? How quickly does time pass there, and does it vary based upon your intentions? A world of pure imagination might suck you in for a while your first couple times.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

DaveKap posted:

This series finale was bad.

And I loved it.

This was a bad series finale and I'm glad it was because in the end, it still accomplished the one thing Legion has always been good at. Subverting expectations. *Cue circus music*

Goodbye Legion. It's been a trip!

Well put. I loved the finale and show as a whole, if anyone has any recommendations for similar works to fill the black hole in my heart that Legion has left it would be greatly appreciated. I hope they release the covers for season 3 soon.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

I kind of dig that, in LEGION's telling, it was Xavier's knowledge of his failure as a father, and it's consequences, that motivated him to become Professor X.

I also agree that the Shadow King's turn toward decency was unearned (writing-wise), but I thought that the ending was great anyway.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 14, 2019

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Corte posted:

Well put. I loved the finale and show as a whole, if anyone has any recommendations for similar works to fill the black hole in my heart that Legion has left it would be greatly appreciated. I hope they release the covers for season 3 soon.

twin peaks season 3 is what legion aspired towards

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

ex post facho posted:

Here's a good, high-quality version of the "Mother" cover by Dan Stevens (there's a slight hitch at ~5:03, but otherwise, its perfect).

One thing I will never forget about this show is the way they selected their music choices. They were stellar through the entire series, and the cover interpretations were universally both good and unique takes on the original material.

I think I posted this a while ago in this thread, but for those of you who haven't seen it, here's an interview with the woman who curates the music for the show. she worked on Fargo too.

https://blog.tunefind.com/2017/04/legion-soundtrack/

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

scary ghost dog posted:

twin peaks season 3 is what legion aspired towards

In what way? They seem very different to me, even on a surface level.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Necrothatcher posted:

IDK, I agree that Legion often aspired to Lynch / TP style weirdness. All of the visual time-glitching stuff seemed right out of TP S3e3. But on a larger, more thematic scale both shows try to tell their stories in non-conventional, "arty" ways. I love The Wire and consider it capital-A Art but it's a very different style of Art than TP S3 and Legion. The presentation of TP S3 and Legion can be described as function following form, rather than the obverse which is where most shows land. The presentation and art style of these two shows are handled equally to the plot, whereas 99% of shows are "ok, here's the plot. Now, how much time and money do we want to invest in the style (but definitely as an afterthought to the actual storyline, natch)?"

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

neither of them ever really cared about telling a coherent story, but twin peaks s3 was much more clear about that from the start. legions biggest shortcomings are its attempts to offer the audience closure at the expense of its art. twin peaks never bothers with closure and is much better for it

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Corte posted:

It depends entirely on what it is you liked about Legion.

Time travel? Netflix's German series "Dark" (Season 2 just aired, filming for final season happening now)
Purely entertaining but poorly paced? Preacher (Final season, 4, airing now)
Weird poo poo? Twin Peaks Season 3 (Likely the last time Lynch will work on television but we can all hope it's not)
Something that had a cohesive and amazing first season then had it all fall apart in a frustrating way? Mr. Robot (Final season, 4, airing this year [honestly just watch season 1 if you want a solidly good block of television])
A dramatic show with dark themes circling around people with super powers as a Harry Potter parody? The Magicians (ongoing but current season's finale actually felt like a series finale so binging the whole thing now works great [also note that this one starts weak but gets stronger over time])
A dramatic show with dark themes circling around people with super powers as a DC/Marvel parody? The Boys (Season 1 recently released, S2 apparently mid-filming right now)
Something that's just straight up dramatic and strange but without dabbling in fantasy or sci-fi? Patriot. (Cancelled after Season 2, no if it ends on a cliffhanger because I haven't finished it)

And if you're looking for the good cinematography, acting, and directing that Legion had, most of these fit that bill, so go hog wild!

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 14, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Carnivale is probably the closest thing I can think of to Legion. Of course it has the opposite problem, in that it ends exactly 1/3 of the way through the story they wanted to tell and never gets any kind of ending. :v:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The show that Legion most reminds me of is Hannibal.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
What did the Karys say to each other at the end there?

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

DaveKap posted:

It depends entirely on what it is you liked about Legion.

Time travel? Netflix's German series "Dark" (Season 2 just aired, filming for final season happening now)
Purely entertaining but poorly paced? Preacher (Final season, 4, airing now)
Weird poo poo? Twin Peaks Season 3 (Likely the last time Lynch will work on television but we can all hope it's not)
Something that had a cohesive and amazing first season then had it all fall apart in a frustrating way? Mr. Robot (Final season, 4, airing this year [honestly just watch season 1 if you want a solidly good block of television])
A dramatic show with dark themes circling around people with super powers as a Harry Potter parody? The Magicians (ongoing but current season's finale actually felt like a series finale so binging the whole thing now works great [also note that this one starts weak but gets stronger over time])
A dramatic show with dark themes circling around people with super powers as a DC/Marvel parody? The Boys (Season 1 recently released, S2 apparently mid-filming right now)
Something that's just straight up dramatic and strange but without dabbling in fantasy or sci-fi? Patriot. (Cancelled after Season 2, no if it ends on a cliffhanger because I haven't finished it)

And if you're looking for the good cinematography, acting, and directing that Legion had, most of these fit that bill, so go hog wild!

Good point and thanks for the suggestions. It's hard to pin down given I loved almost everything about Legion. I suppose what I appreciated the most was how thought provoking it could be and how much it connected with me on an emotional level. Another thing that definitely sticks out is how great and fitting the music selections were. Thanks to whoever linked the interview to the music supervisor, that was a good read.

Levin fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 15, 2019

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Carnivale is probably the closest thing I can think of to Legion.

That was a fantastic show and its a crying shame it didn't get the time it deserved. To me its up there with Deadwood for shows that should been let play out whatever it costs shareholders.

Can't think of too much like Legion. Listening to Bjork?

Hannibal is a strong suggestion as well. Imagine if David and Farouk are in love and you have Hannibal. If you had to pick one I would say Carnivale.

Legion for all its problems was an extremely sincere show. It was genre but there was no layer or genre or irony it was trying to hide behind as an excuse. I'm still thinking on David saying I'm a good person, I deserve love and Farouk saying no you don't. He's right in a way and its pitiless but oddly hopeful, no one is owed anything and nothing is guaranteed. Its kind of a negative of I want you to always know where you can find me in Hannibal. And I'll shut up at point.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Medullah posted:

What did the Karys say to each other at the end there?

She called him brother

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

ex post facho posted:

I also really enjoyed the cover version of Cornflake girl.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Corte posted:

Good point and thanks for the suggestions. It's hard to pin down given I loved almost everything about Legion. I suppose what I appreciated the most was how thought provoking it could be and how much it connected with me on an emotional level. Another thing that definitely sticks out is how great and fitting the music selections were. Thanks to whoever linked the interview to the music supervisor, that was a good read.
That's next to impossible to suggest for, all things considered, but out of everything I suggested I'll say Magicians was the only one to make me emotional so that's my highest rec.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

night slime posted:

She called him brother

Okay I thought it was "lover" which bothered me because I never saw their relationship like that.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

DaveKap posted:

Season 2 was definitely a step down, but Season 3 was excellent and a true return to form.

Hey, that sounds like Legion!

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Corte posted:

Rick and Morty. Noah Hawley's own Fargo TV series. And yeah, Mr. Robot. Westworld has great music, but thought-provoking it is not. (Though it pretends to be.) Just get the soundtrack, it's better than putting yourself through Westworld.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
its weird to say but rick and morty really is the only show with a protagonist that approaches david in his omnipotence