Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It does look kind of a lot like Peter Kay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, I keep thinking he looks a bit like that alien Peter Kay played in that Doctor Who episode.

He's pretty unnerving for looking like a rejected Doom enemy though. Maybe it's because he always turns up in the dark and that's a bit spooky. :ghost:

Also, The Guest, that's why he looks familiar. That was a weird but entertaining film. His character calls himself David in that too. I don't see this one rolling grenades into a diner quite yet though

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Cael posted:

After just watching the second episode, I'll throw another wrench in (that someone can make fun of me for). In each of Syd's appearances in the episode, I felt like she was acting differently: sensitive on the bench in the sunset, scared and aprehensive on the swingset, and kind of stand-off-ish in the elevator. Distinctly different. And in each appearance, they've varied up the combination of what she's wearing for gloves and her scarf. If you had easily triggered body swap powers, wouldn't you ALWAYS wear the gloves?

An actor playing a character with emotion and moods. And they change clothes! Wow!

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

gohmak posted:

Still waiting on my gif people!

I stumbled on one today!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
gohmak, did you want it as an avatar? because if not I'd love to use that.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Escobarbarian posted:

gohmak, did you want it as an avatar? because if not I'd love to use that.

go for it

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Legion: Great story, I don't really care

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
So Syd is real and that's a relief to me.

Rock Or Roll
Feb 18, 2013
Oh hey... there was a giant X behind him in that one scene. Not super subtle but I didn't see it at first. I really dig that there's no reference to the X-Men, movies or otherwise. But that also makes it kind of weird that they just jump in to "oh hey mutants are a thing" without quite explaining it. It's a little jarring for people that aren't familiar with the comics or anything.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
I caught the X in the circle in the window. Nice imagery there.

AndyElusive posted:

Is the fat guy in David's mind a mutant that he killed with his powers when he was a kid and now has a mental block preventing him from remembering? Is that why fat guy is skulking around inside his mind and memories? Is he the one who allows David to shift and manipulate matter?
Comic stuff:
Visually he references Mojo (a yellow eyed demon lord from a twisted reality TV universe) but I believe he is leading up to being The Shadow King, a major Marvel villain, who also has yellow eyes who has a lot of history in the comics with David. Regardless yellow is a recurring bad colour for David.

Syd mentions her mom, who would entertain all kinds of people. I realize the Rogue parallels are pretty much thrown out, but do note that Rogue's adopted mother was Mystique. Also remember that David killed Mystique's wife, Destiny. Baseless loose thoughts

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got that frog gif down to avatar size, would love suggestions for quotes from the show so far to go underneath!

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I have claustrophobia and this episode made me panic a little.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Grem posted:

I have claustrophobia and this episode made me panic a little.

loving hell, great episode.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

So the credited actor for the Demon is Quinton Boisclair, a man with no photos who has never done any other work except this show, and the only solid indication of being a real person is that his name is in the credits. Assuming that's just an alias, I'm not sure exactly who they'd be covering for but it smells like the kind of thing you'd do to avoid spoiling a big twist.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rock Or Roll posted:

Oh hey... there was a giant X behind him in that one scene. Not super subtle but I didn't see it at first. I really dig that there's no reference to the X-Men, movies or otherwise. But that also makes it kind of weird that they just jump in to "oh hey mutants are a thing" without quite explaining it. It's a little jarring for people that aren't familiar with the comics or anything.

Are you referring to this episode or just in general? Because the Division 3 guys that were interrogating him in the pilot said something like "he's the most powerful mutant we've ever encountered" and there was a big block of exposition about mutants in episode 2.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sanschel posted:

So the credited actor for the Demon is Quinton Boisclair, a man with no photos who has never done any other work except this show, and the only solid indication of being a real person is that his name is in the credits. Assuming that's just an alias, I'm not sure exactly who they'd be covering for but it smells like the kind of thing you'd do to avoid spoiling a big twist.

There is a Quinton Boisclair on Facebook but it definitely doesn't look like the same guy.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
each episode since the pilot cements that Rachel Keller is great, and I expect her to go on to bigger and better things.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am continually baffled that a show about Legion is not only good, but great.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Got that frog gif down to avatar size, would love suggestions for quotes from the show so far to go underneath!

Can you post the avatar sized one because I'd like to steal it too

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
Does anybody get the feeling that the children's book character and yellow eyed demon are aspects of davids mind or personality that have splintered from his original? The yellow eyed demon seems linked to teleportation.

Maybe the recently acquired Lenny will be linked to a power too or become a separate identity within his mind. In his mind to help or hinder him?

Either that or the idea of it being the Shadow King is a solid one in my eyes. Possibly both as I don't think the Shadow King would be a singular entity within his mind but tinkering and adjusting things to lead David towards giving up control of his mind.

All I can say is I'm loving this show so far and hope they keep building up the suspense for a satisfying ending.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Looten Plunder posted:

Can you post the avatar sized one because I'd like to steal it too

best be for another forum mah'fucker:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Catsplosion posted:

The yellow eyed demon seems linked to teleportation.

David's teleportation- all his powers, really- seems to be provoked by a desire to escape from things that terrify or threaten him. And nothing terrifies him like The Devil With Yellow Eyes.

The Devil is also closely linked to the kitchen explosion and the asylum meltdown, remember, both of which were telekinetic episodes.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The World's Angriest Boy In The World (god, I love that title) seems to be a defense mechanism, he pops up a lot whenever some hidden/blocked/painful memories get accessed and is directly associated with the identity of David's father, the most conspicuously blocked memory of all. The fat yellow-eyed demon seems actively malicious and invasive on the other hand, so it's harder to tell at this stage whether it's an outside force preying on David or is a representation of his dark impulses/id/etc. struggling for control of his power Hulk-style.

I bet this show is catnip for nerdy psychoanalysts.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 24, 2017

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

I'll wait for you to change yours again on a whim. I've gone 10 years without getting one yet, I can wait a little longer.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

McSpanky posted:

The World's Angriest Boy In The World (god, I love that title) seems to be a defense mechanism, he pops up a lot whenever some hidden/blocked/painful memories get accessed and is directly associated with the identity of David's father, the most conspicuously blocked memory of all.

I have absolutely no idea what the significance is, but when Syd followed kid-David into his mind, they ran through his old home at one point and you saw his mother and father sitting at a table.

You could see his father's face as he sat next to his telescope.

So Syd could see his face, but David can't.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I have absolutely no idea what the significance is, but when Syd followed kid-David into his mind, they ran through his old home at one point and you saw his mother and father sitting at a table.

You could see his father's face as he sat next to his telescope.

So Syd could see his face, but David can't.

Well it's possible that she can see him because she has no reason to doubt the memory, and he can't because he knows it isn't his real dad.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Escobarbarian posted:

Dear lord tell me this show is doing OK in the ratings and hasn't put people off with how insane it is.

It's like David Lynch directed a superhero show at his prime.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Ornithology posted:

Was I the only one who got legitimately creeped the gently caress out by that clown looking monster thing? The messed up children's book and his father with no face was creepy as hell too.

Did Ornithology watch Ep.3 yet?

Is he okay?

:ohdear:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Blazing Ownager posted:

Dear lord tell me this show is doing OK in the ratings and hasn't put people off with how insane it is.

It's on FX, they don't care about traditional ratings.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Blazing Ownager posted:

With sets by Kubrick.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

howe_sam posted:

It's on FX, they don't care about traditional ratings.

They've gotta care to some degree. It's not premium cable.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Henchman of Santa posted:

They've gotta care to some degree. It's not premium cable.

I believe John Landgraf has said that, these days at least, there are three factors to whether or not a show gets renewed:

• Is the audience there? (Not as much as Fargo or People vs. O.J., which is what you'd hope for with an expensive Marvel show, but they're not terrible.)
• Do the critics like it? (Hell yes they do.)
• Do the suits like it? (Hard to say for sure, but they loving love Noah Hawley.)

A show gets renewed if it can hit two out of three. That's why The Americans sticks around while The Bastard Executioner gets the axe.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Catsplosion posted:

Maybe the recently acquired Lenny will be linked to a power too or become a separate identity within his mind. In his mind to help or hinder him?

I think Lenny is there as his id to keep him moving. She's ultimately helping him (warns him about Section 3 coming after him, provokes him enough he can project in and see what's up with his sister), but in the absolutely worst and crudest way possible.

The real tragedy is Syd didn't absorb the stove with her :(

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

DivisionPost posted:

I believe John Landgraf has said that, these days at least, there are three factors to whether or not a show gets renewed:

• Is the audience there? (Not as much as Fargo or People vs. O.J., which is what you'd hope for with an expensive Marvel show, but they're not terrible.)
• Do the critics like it? (Hell yes they do.)
• Do the suits like it? (Hard to say for sure, but they loving love Noah Hawley.)

A show gets renewed if it can hit two out of three. That's why The Americans sticks around while The Bastard Executioner gets the axe.

At least they're being honest about factor #3 and balancing it. The then-president of Fox canned The Critic even though it was doing ratings gangbusters and had the best post-Simpsons audience retention of any show that ever had the slot, solely because he was terrible at humor and hated it :argh:

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Blazing Ownager posted:

Good timing. Sepinwall just tweeted that episode 4 is the weirdest thing he's ever seen on TV not involving Lynch.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
That goddamn boilerplate child giggle SFX is killing me. Otherwise, amazing show.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Webbeh posted:

That goddamn boilerplate child giggle SFX is killing me. Otherwise, amazing show.

I wish someone would delete this from all media forever or at least find some new kids to laugh for you. This stupid stock sound pulls me out of any show/movie i hear it in and all I can think about is Roller Coaster Tycoon.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I'm looking through all the bad reviews out of curiosity. They seem to consist of:

- It's confusing and even by episode 3 I still don't understand the plot which makes it boring.
- It's difficult to follow.
- Jumpy storyline. No structure.
- It's pretentious. Trying to be like Kubrick.

I dunno, sounds like people expected something somewhat similar to a typical Marvel superhero plot line and structure. Personally I would've rated this show lower if it ended up as one so I'm glad it went in this direction. I'm also a fan of Kubrick/Refn/Lynch so the style is up my ally. I personally enjoyed Hannibal season 3 which people made similar complaints about, so I guess I'm the "pretentious" type

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

nawcom posted:

I'm looking through all the bad reviews out of curiosity. They seem to consist of:

- It's confusing and even by episode 3 I still don't understand the plot which makes it boring.
- It's difficult to follow.
- Jumpy storyline. No structure.
- It's pretentious. Trying to be like Kubrick.

I dunno, sounds like people expected something somewhat similar to a typical Marvel superhero plot line and structure. Personally I would've rated this show lower if it ended up as one so I'm glad it went in this direction. I'm also a fan of Kubrick/Refn/Lynch so the style is up my ally. I personally enjoyed Hannibal season 3 which people made similar complaints about, so I guess I'm the "pretentious" type

Almost all of the media outlet/professional reviews I've read are positive. Who is writing negative reviews besides random social media people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Oh I'm referring to IMDB reviews and a couple Metacritic reviews - I should've been specific regarding that. Looks like in IMDB it's starting to reach 90% but it was low 80s and was curious on the reasoning behind the low scores.