Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

telekinetic guy was definitely not real considering they're all "You might be a very powerful telekinetic!" why be so excited if you already have a telekinetic that can throw around boulders and tanks at will?

Yeah, because you totally wouldn't want two of those guys. Or because that's a result that they've already seen, so it's a proven outcome that they can share with David - "you could be a powerful telekinetic just like Bill over here!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

They have Chris Evans and Robert Downey Jr. lined up for the finale.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

whowhatwhere posted:

Also Syd has consistently been the worst-written part of the show but this episode was just cringeworthy. "He's my man"? Really show? Like even if you're going to go for the "she's at the same cognitive level as a puppy because now she can have sex" thing at least have a better line to sell it.

I dunno, it doesn't seem that off for someone who's had such a stunted childhood and bounced around through psych hospitals. She's probably somewhere on the autistic spectrum, and it makes sense that she's got a teenager's sense of relationships in a lot of respects. It's a little creepy to watch, because I get the sense that neither of them really has all their marbles, but I feel like they've done a pretty good job of showing a relationship between two people with mental development issues.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

Word on the street is that it's entirely Ike Perlmutter being a petty douche. Keep in mind, though, that Perlmutter makes a convenient fall guy for anyone and anything because if you're even halfway familiar with what goes on behind the scenes at Marvel, your reflexive response to hearing that name is most likely "gently caress IKE PERLMUTTER."

I wouldn't try to blame this on anyone specifically, this is one of those things where it kinda makes sense to keep the divide between TV and movies. Coulson's death was a major plot beat in their multi-billion-dollar movie franchise that draws millions of viewers who don't follow Marvel on the internet and couldn't have picked Captain America out of a lineup before he was played by Chris Evans. You can't just have Coulson pop up in the next movie and say "Yeah, I was resurrected on this low-rated TV show that hardly anyone in the theater knows about, so don't worry about all that grief from before."

DaveKap posted:

As I said in my post, I'd like to not have plot movement triggered by the "machina" in "deus ex machina." My own opinion aside, it just plain matters if you see future tech being used in the past. Being shown a world that's in the 70's get interrupted by a technology from the 00's means 1 of 2 things: Either there's time travel or there's deus ex machina. This does not include alternate-tech, which was used liberally in the show to fantastic use, via the cloth monitors and the strange floaty orb.

To be honest, I thought the floaty orb was pretty deus ex machina. That was a level of technology head and shoulders above what we're shown previously, and it begs the question why they didn't use it right away. Or why they have enemies at all, if they can just suck them up into a pokeball. It may be explained really well next season, but out of nowhere it seemed pretty jarring, and felt like a weird misstep.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Fartbox posted:

Aubrey is born to play roles like these cuz she got real real natural crazy eyes that they used to great effect in this show

Even in parks and rec which is a heartwarming comedy show she looked like she wanted to kill and eat a lot of people a lot of the time

I think she's kind of a nutball in real life, too. At one point she spontaneously decided to make out with a much-older co-star on some Late Night show because she thought it would be funny, and according to him, she just randomly leaned over during one of the breaks and said "it would be hilarious if we made out." I kinda imagine her character on Parks as a slightly more obnoxious version of who she really is, and whatever, I guess that lends itself well to weird roles like Lenny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

NowonSA posted:

bonus points because I've never seen anything quite like it.

what