Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

BlackJosh posted:

Yeah I too got a strong Hannibal vibe and it definitely has me on the hook for at least a few more episodes. Very interesting and adventurous visually and aurally.

Hannibal was snobbishly artsy (In a good way) This is straight up trippy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

Does anybody get the feeling that the children's book character and yellow eyed demon are aspects of davids mind or personality that have splintered from his original? The yellow eyed demon seems linked to teleportation.

Maybe the recently acquired Lenny will be linked to a power too or become a separate identity within his mind. In his mind to help or hinder him?

Either that or the idea of it being the Shadow King is a solid one in my eyes. Possibly both as I don't think the Shadow King would be a singular entity within his mind but tinkering and adjusting things to lead David towards giving up control of his mind.

All I can say is I'm loving this show so far and hope they keep building up the suspense for a satisfying ending.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

Elite posted:

Think of it as the opposite of 2 characters fusing together.

So say in Legends of Tomorrow, Professor Stein and Jax Jackson are 2 separate characters but they can fuse together to become Firestorm (2 separate egos contained within one body). Many other examples of this.

Cary/Kerry is naturally 2 different egos inhabiting the same body, but they can separate out to become 2 different egos in 2 different bodies. When they're combined Kerry is dormant most of the time, but she must still be there because Cary can have conversations with her without her physically needing to surface.

Does anybody see it as two sides of one person. The inner child of Cary? He's the intelligent, boring, academic and shes the inner child full of imagination and energy who loves the idea of fighting ninjas.

Thats the way it seems to be portrayed. It could easily be two separate people with opposite personalities inhabiting the same body. Both ideas work.

Catsplosion fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 5, 2017

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

Merrill Grinch posted:

Is the Angry Boy actually a manifestation of ol' Yellow Eyes, or a construct of David's to combat the demon?

I can't recall the Angry Boy actually doing anything besides being very menacing and the intimation that it killed a dog in that Halloween scene -- a dog that didn't actually exist and was an earlier manifestation of the demon. And in that last episode, the Angry Boy explicitly leads Syd to where David is. Right now I'm leaning towards Angry Boy's persona allowing David to fight the demon when push finally comes to shove.

I've spent far too long thinking about this show.

The angry boy chases Syd and young David towards the vent and then the demon slinks through the vent after them. I think the angry boy was a way the parents used to control the demon they knew was inside of David (or possibly his power in their eyes) but the demon was far too powerful to be ruled by davids fear and is now using that against him. It's pretty clear the parents drilled that story into his mind often before bed.

Nevvy Z posted:

Assuming the Angriest Boy is separate, TYED could control it the same way it controls David, potentially.

It's separate but the TYED has had a fair amount of control over David and has even more now so it can take on its form and use it against David. Corrupting what I imagine was it's original purpose.

What I want to know is if Benny existed in reality. I think it was mentioned that he did and that he was a bad influence on David. What this means is that there are 2 people within Davids mind but 1 of them is under TYED control at the moment (along with the angry kid mental construct / defence mechanism). Lenny is the corrupted version of Benny that is under TYED control too.

"David’s ex-girlfriend remembers Benny instead of Lenny"

Catsplosion fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 10, 2017

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I'm sure his sister has mentioned that book. Both Ptonomy and Melanie have seen it but only in his memories.

That's why I say it's clear. It also seems likely. Otherwise they created a character from a book that he created in his mind and as crazy as this show is that I think is far too pointless and convoluted.

I guess the DYE could have corrupted a real memory of his father reading him a bedtime story into that to create a character he could use to instil fear into David to keep him away from questioning his memories. That actually makes a lot of sense now I think about it.

But I don't understand why it seems that it is on Davids side or working against the TYED sometimes if that was the case. gently caress this show is confusing.

I'm starting to think all of the characters we have seen are in his head after the end of the last episode.

Catsplosion fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 11, 2017

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

Another way of looking at the scene inside of Davids mind where Melanie gets her hand crippled by the book after TYED appearing behind her is that the demon closed the book to stop the angriest boy from appearing. The scenes we see of it chasing David could actually be it protecting David by chasing TYED. A construct of fear created by his father that taps into his anger and rage on a subconscious level.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

Affi posted:

This is such a good piece of television (probably the best i've ever seen) and I can't even convince people to watch it. They're like "So its a show about a dude in a mental hospital only he's a mutant?"

Dan Stevens has been a favorite ever since The Guest where he's amazing and Aubrey Plaza is consistently great in everything she's in. But this? Them? If they don't win ALL the awards then I dont know what.

Tell them it's a schizophrenic LSD trip with an interesting story interwoven through an incredible aesthetic style lead by a very sexy and outstanding Aubrey Plaza.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

dogboy posted:

I love this show but it could be a bit more compact and faster paced. Like in Tropic Thunder where advice is beeing given that you don't go "full retarded", this show can easily slip into too much meta.

The show is asking that it's viewers have a lot of faith in it going somewhere, yes.

I've read the original material it's based on and can see why some people have these issues with it but i think you'll change your mind with the finale. Keep watching!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

They could not have found a better song for the end credits.