Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
this is a good show and I like it a lot

well thanks for listening bye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dark Off posted:

well what if syd is real but nobody else is.

what if David's real and we're fake. makes u think *takes gigantic Vapor hit off of frog vaporizer*

I really like this show a whole, whole lot. It's doing a fantastic job at showing just how off balance Legion is without descending into incoherence. And god drat Syd and David are just the cutest, their workaround for holding hands in the pilot with the ribbon was the biggest :3: moment I've seen in a long time.

David eventually gonna refine his powers and get incorporeally freaky with her :mmmhmm:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ArmZ posted:

the last scene of the show is david in a hospital bed catatonic, and it's all just one big hallucination

then he wakes up to take a shower, as the camera zooms out to reveal he's inside a snow globe, which the autistic kid drops while saying "Rosebud"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
In the comics, David only picks up personalities if they die while he's around them. Thanks to Syd his buddy is now his permanent headmate.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

telekinetic guy was definitely not real considering they're all "You might be a very powerful telekinetic!" why be so excited if you already have a telekinetic that can throw around boulders and tanks at will?

David isn't just a telekinetic, that's just one expression of his abilities. He can clearly rearrange matter when the fat guy makes him lose control of his poo poo, hence Syd accidentally sealing all the cells (and bisecting his buddy in the process) or teleporting the entire MRI machine into the forest.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

AndyElusive posted:

Is the fat guy in David's mind a mutant that he killed with his powers when he was a kid and now has a mental block preventing him from remembering? Is that why fat guy is skulking around inside his mind and memories? Is he the one who allows David to shift and manipulate matter?

p sure he's an actual Marvel villain but idk if they're going the literal route or the Villain Is David Himself thing

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Catsplosion posted:

Maybe the recently acquired Lenny will be linked to a power too or become a separate identity within his mind. In his mind to help or hinder him?

I think Lenny is there as his id to keep him moving. She's ultimately helping him (warns him about Section 3 coming after him, provokes him enough he can project in and see what's up with his sister), but in the absolutely worst and crudest way possible.

The real tragedy is Syd didn't absorb the stove with her :(

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

McDragon posted:

It's definitely one of the few shows I watch where I have to actually watch it as opposed to watch while fiddling with something else. If I don't concentrate I'm lost.

Also that book crushing her hand was hosed up.

You don't gently caress with the World's Angriest Boy in the World. :colbert:

Also, my guess is that the Shadow King possessed David and he did some very bad things to people as a kid that were so outlandish no one blamed him.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

McSpanky posted:

I hope this means we get a hilarious/horrifying episode down the line where people keep bodyswapping with Syd and causing havoc with each others' powers.

I think she can only do one swap at a time until it wears off and she comes back home. The doctor literally dragged her/David off after their swap, and it seemed like her power was temporarily disabled.

I'd like to state again what a delight Lenny is. She lights up every scene she's in with her incredible crudeness. :allears:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ViggyNash posted:

Up until the last episode, he was a curiosity. An element of mystery.

But now that we're starting to get hints as to its nature, he's becoming pretty creepy. He's not just manifested fear, he's a literal psychic invader that has taken control of and locked away parts of David's mind, and controls David through irrational fear.

David's major trigger seems to be intense, Hulk-style emotion. Lenny leveraged it for good (astral projection to find his sister), whereas Fat Guy does Very Bad Things™ with it (horizontally bisecting Lenny).

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I don't know, I don't think that's it entirely. Remember Lenny was hosed when his powers were in the hands of someone more sane.

I think emotions falling out of control is only one half of the puzzle.

don't hand a newbie an etc.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure peeling back a layer or two won't even begin to cover it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
dis fukken show right here

Pan Dulce posted:

Benny was real and TYED probably convoluted his memory to keep control of David at Clockworks. That's his endgame, I think. To fully control David.

Here's something fun: Did any of the inmates ever acknowledge Lenny or interact with her in any way, shape, or form? It's entirely possible she was the TYED that only David could see, and that Syd actually beat the poo poo out of him and bisected him in David's mind when she took the wheel.

Or maybe none of this actually happened and we're all inside David's head

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Seriously though eventually David's going to figure out TYED's presence in his head and boot him out, and the fight scene is going to be incredible. Just two big ol God level telepaths goin' full ham on each other for a good 15 minutes. :allears:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Holy poo poo I just realized something.

TYED is morbidly obese, right? in the comics that's kind of Shadow King's thing

doesn't Benny look kind of ... husky

Is it possible he got transferred from host to host?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
me every week after this show: :f5h::staredog:

I audibly breathed "jesus christ" without meaning to when they showed the carnage SK/David left in their wake. Also my wife and I were already both going :stonklol: when Syd was relating that her first time was with her mother's boyfriend when she was 16 and then it got a million times worse.

I love this goddamn show.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 10, 2017

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
also he's legit disturbing but the entire time during SK's reveal at the end the only thing I could think is GIMME A HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUG

Probably wanted to make his face a little more malevolent there guys

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Ossipago posted:

If only Syd could swap with the Shadow King.

and then they swap back

:stonk:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Sanschel posted:

I really hope they delve more into the Eye next episode, he's oddly intriguing. I also have no idea what his actual powers are; it seemed like shapeshifting via hypnosis but might actually be actual shapeshifting but also hypnosis?

It looks like all his poo poo is optics related,. He can probably project optical illusions, see into the astral plane, notice where bullets are going and not be there, etc.

How he made memory guy pass out just by putting a hand on his head, I dunno. Maybe he made him see something traumatic. Or maybe he's just "is powerful don't question it" levels.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I haven't questioned it until now because I just didn't know what the gently caress was going on anyways, but now that we have a better sense of what's happening, does anyone know why there are gerbil tubes with gerbils all over the base?

Carey's got some really weird ideas when it comes to emails

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Disgusting Coward posted:

I think that's maybe deliberate? Like, Peter Kay Demon, World's Angriest Boy and little adorable Lenny aren't exactly the scariest visuals in the world, but they all seemed to scare the poo poo out of people when viewed through the lens of David's unconscious mind. Kinda like how you can have a nightmare that leaves you wrecked and covered in sweat, then when you wake up you realise there's actually nothing scary at all about your shoes having minds of their own or your grandma chasing you down an infinitely long corridor.

Nah, the brief shots up until that point were really sinister but the full reveal was a waddling HELLO NICE TO MEET YOU because they went for leering on the face and ended up with goofy.

It ended up being sufficiently bizarre but not particularly frightening imo.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Plucky Brit posted:

My solution would be to give it some unnatural quality, for example it suddenly moving very fast.

Literally all they had to do was change the expression on his face and it'd be a million times better. They have CGI, I dunno why they didn't just reshoot. :shrug:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
DIS FUKKIN SHOW :magical:

Also, rawr Lenny. Blobs of grey desiccated flesh have never looked so foxy.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Xand_Man posted:

I hope there's some pay-off for Kerry; it's pretty tiring to have her be "The Warrior" of the group in attitude but the damsel in distress for most of her on-screen time.

Well. Right now she's freaked out because she's being blocked from remembering who she is and her body-partner's just been dumped out of this area of the astral plane without her.

Lenny's control is breaking down and Walter's going to get very disappointed when she remembers how to fight and brings out the spiked baseball bat.

Also I was rooting for The Eye to be a mercenary so he could be reintegrated into the team but uh. I don't think I want that anymore :stare:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

notthegoatseguy posted:

I'm wondering if Walter "remembers" more than what he's letting on. Why else would he start stalking Karrie again?

My guess is that he knows exactly what's going on because SK is starting to attach itself to Walter. He's already a straight up sociopathic loon, might as well hop on board and get in on that sweet sweet optical control action.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Grem posted:

I could see her being a fractured part of Shadow King turning up every once in a while to be a loving weirdo with no real power.

My hope is that David finally boots SK out of his mind, it turns out he was just attached to Lenny's mental patterns, and we segue into the "David absorbs personalities from the dead" story arc.

Lenny is just so delightfully nutty that I hope she never goes away. :allears:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Shageletic posted:

So I'm going to buy this as my avatar

Anyone got any suggestions to write below it? I'm trying to think of a quote that something to do about tapes. You get extra points if it's related to Trump/politics. Thanks!

SHADOW KING

*click*

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Chadzok posted:

I really hope the end of this season is "So David, the good news is we got rid of the parasitic dimension warping evil super mutant that was misdiagnosed as schizophrenia. The bad news is you actually literally have schizophrenia anyway."

Pretty sure this is the end game plus a helping of "oh and we've uncovered your DID too."

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
My favorite part about all this is, even without Farouk's influence, David is still a twitchy, spazzy weirdo. There's something very appealing about the World's Most Powerful Telekinetic being in a perpetually bewildered state. :allears:

Although the best part of an already incredible episode was Oliver not dropping his martini being held at gunpoint.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

While I still loving love this gif it's just not as much fun without Kerry and Syd doing the same head tilt afterwards.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

mikeraskol posted:

gently caress, I actually just did that but I didn't include the head tilt for the other girls. I still like it though.

Honestly, with that quote, it works better without.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Holy poo poo was that kill one for the ages. That poo poo would be a horror movie classic on par with Scanners in a different time.

Jesus Christ. This show understands horror better than any horror show ever and it's not even one.

The best horror writing is writing that doesn't try to be a "horror genre" at all. The writer is familiar with human failings and fears, taps into those as an antagonist, and then later looks at everyone going :stare: and is all like, wut.

(hello I have experience except for the "best" part)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bust Rodd posted:

I put the 1st episode on while he was cooking us dinner andby the end of it he told me that he couldn't remember a TV show ever making him that uncomfortable before because it triggered him so terribly, and that was why we had to watch the whole thing pretty much right now. He said trying to address mental illness in TV is kind of like "going full retard" to quote Tropic Thunder... like it absolutely can be done, but the idea is that its so easy to do it wrong and so very hard to do it right that most attempts fail utterly, so this show not only depicting a schizophrenic but accurately recreating the sensations of being insane for the viewers at home took it to a whole 'nother level.

It's not just the schizophrenia. The episode where David is given bipolar in Farouk's/Lenny's asylum simulation is very on point, as is making a list based on logic (cognative behavioral) to help work through issues. Someone did their loving homework on mental illness and is actually depicting it accurately from the inside out.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Longbaugh01 posted:

Interesting that when asked about why the Shadow King/Devil With The Yellow Eyes looked like Mojo, Hawley didn't bring up that--in the comics--Shadow King's long-term host bodies (at least) are usually really really fat because of SK's innate lack of self-control. That includes Farouk.

Yup, that's actual comic book cannon. SK's such a hedonist that after a couple of decades his host invariably ends up a buttertub. :btroll:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

savinhill posted:

I'm not familiar with the comic book version of the Shadow King, but on this show, both his and The Angriest Boy in the World's look and design remind me most of the aesthetics of some of the creatures and characters from Floyd's The Wall movie. I'm curious if that's specifically the case, as Floyd has been a big influence in other ways for Hawley with the making of Legion.

If SK shows up as a talking rear end then I think I'm checking out for the rest of the season. :stonk:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I disagree that this wasn't a good conclusion. The stuff with evil government guy actually having a familly and loving husband, the cross-plane brawl with Farouk jumping from host to host, and Oliver getting blown back into the power corridor only to pop right back out with a song in his heart and a Shadow King in his head made this episode pretty satisfying. Seeing David just shrug and create a PILLAR OF FLESH with the soldiers was also pretty entertaining. It was creepy at first, but all of them were still alive and in one piece, so they'll be fine.

I hope. I mean, he did remember to turn that off. Right? :ohdear:

The sphere bit was actually pretty funny to me just for the final exchange. They smashed it out of the park all season, so I'm willing to see what the lead in is.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

savinhill posted:

I think people were just expecting a less conventionally straight forward finale, especially the final showdown between David and SK. Also, more things to be expounded on that were running subplots/elements, especially things like The Angriest Boy in the World, David's missing and replaced memories(drug buddy Benny, psychiatric session) and maybe his sister. I even thought they might expand and tie some of them together more neatly when it had David and SK Lenny in front of the various pivotal scenes of his life we've seen before. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed the episode, and it was by no means bad, I just thought it was going to be so much more in my expectations.

Well, and they can't solve everything ever if they want a second season. Leaving a few dangling ends to be explored is a good thing.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Longbaugh01 posted:

Alright so no to an Astral Plane battle but how about just something more climactic than two people running at each other, colliding, and being thrown backwards.

Yeah I wondered that myself since there was a lot of emphasis on it.

My guess is twofold: Kerry thinks it's a security concern and Clark could take advantage of close contact with Cary, and Kerry doesn't want Cary touching Clark because Cary touching Clark might be like Kerry herself touching Clark and she doesn't want that.

It was very much a security thing: otherwise he's within a hand's distance of a captor and being handed glass to attack with.

You can tell by his eyes that he was going to pull something, too. He's military-ish, he knows tactics. Fortunately for the Not X-Men, Kerry is real good at fighting and tactics, too.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

jng2058 posted:

I'm pretty sure they were taking him out to the woods to bury, so I'm thinking he dead.

Nah, they were walking back after David's teleport and kept reassuring him while they were carrying him. I mean it's possible it was a rest in peace thing but it's probably more likely he was written off and we'll never see him again. :v:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

flosofl posted:

This guy.

He was in the mental institution in ep1 as well.

"I'M MAN THING "
"no you're not Steve, we've been over this, you're wearing a tree costume"
"MY TOUCH CAN MELT FLESH "
" Steve. Steve, you're holding a stuffed owl"
" I DO NOT UNDERSTAND YOU, MY BRAIN HAS BEEN REPLACED BY VEGETATION "
"Just... Just ignore him."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Slightly Absurd posted: