Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

sticklefifer posted:

I'm still unsure what to think about this show. The individual parts are extremely well done and really interesting to watch, but I feel like it's not... I don't know, cohesive enough. A disjointed narrative is fine for a story that starts somewhere familiar and then breaks down, but I felt like they never really established a base to work from. There's no way to tell what, if anything, is real from the very beginning. There's no weight to any specific element of it because it's so disorienting and surreal right off the bat, so why invest in anything? Why even speculate? I hope it'll start to become clearer soon, but until then it's like scene salad.

He's one of the least likely characters to ever get a tv show in the entire X-Men universe, because literally every moment of his existence is a ridiculous mindfuck. Like you can't have his super power and ever truly be sane and human. You get to choose one, and that's it. And I don't know how you convey even a fraction of that while keeping people invested, but it should be fun to see at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

sticklefifer posted:

While that is definitely true, my issue is more that you engage a viewer by showing your character's "ordinary world" in act one.

That's exactly what you are getting. There was no happy, normal childhood. By his early twenties he was already 'schizophrenic', and he'd had problems before that, and as we've seen his flashbacks to his childhood don't quite track, and are filled with plenty of disturbing information. I mean when you hear a story like "Sometimes my dad would drive me out into a field to look at the stars, and the stars would talk to me, and I must never share what they say" what made you think he ever had a more normal life? This *is* his normal. You are totally watching the day to day slice of life of David Haller. They aren't doing a one for one of any particular comic, or even taking parts of any of them really, more like a general idea. And as far as the general idea goes, "Always broken" is pretty much par for the course as far as David goes. Poor dude never had a chance.

I'd imagine that it's more about building toward the realization that his powers are actually far more debilitating than schizophrenia, and that they are wildly unequipped to deal with him.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

I read the wiki a while ago for Legion, doesn't David have multiple personalities with different powers?

No, David has one personality and a lot of roommates.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Piell posted:

Syd is real, Lenny was real before she died, memory guy is real, telekinetic guy is real.

What makes you think Lenny isn't real just because she died?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Sure she does. It's just not her original one.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

I have absolutely no idea what the significance is, but when Syd followed kid-David into his mind, they ran through his old home at one point and you saw his mother and father sitting at a table.

You could see his father's face as he sat next to his telescope.

So Syd could see his face, but David can't.

Well it's possible that she can see him because she has no reason to doubt the memory, and he can't because he knows it isn't his real dad.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
There's a binary assumption at work in those examples that might not entirely fly depending on how they work out David's situation.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

JawnV6 posted:

For the comically inclined, how close is Legion stuff to Push? It seems like a lot of similar powers, but that might just be coincidence since nobody's screamed yet.

Well it's the X-Men universe, and David's one trick lends itself to crazy poo poo in there. Some of his crazier powers are the ability to answer any three questions someone asks, the ability to siphon love, and being a centaur.

I don't see them carrying any of those over to the tv show.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

El Jeffe posted:

Why is he still using Lenny's image? Does he just like the look?

He's not really a person, or a he, so all the images it chooses to project are equally affectation. It's as much the vamp as the fat man, and it's really neither. Both are ways of expressing the hedonistic side of itself. It's truest form is probably the one it called it's favorite, The World's Angriest Boy. That's all it really is. Just pure nihilistic hatred that wants to tear everyone and everything else to pieces. The hedonism is just a way of expressing it's power and superiority before it gets down to oblivion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
What you do is never name the characters and just make two scripts that have lines for one and direction for the other for each character. Then just randomly let them pick which script they pick up day to day.