Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Qmass posted:

err the main guy actually doing stuff (that isn't "David"), throwing all the dudes and poo poo around gets shot through the shoulder and you see the wound... ?

plus I don't think zodiac with an old lady on it makes a convincing personality

I'm on board with the "crew is David's personalities/different powers" theory. The telekinetic guy who gets shot doesn't have a wound at all when you briefly see him on the beach standing next to everyone, not even a bullet hole in his clothing. David could have been shot there and had a personality/power to heal himself, and he just isn't aware that he's doing it. When you see someone physically interacting with a guard, he could be the one doing that part of the fighting. I don't think it quite meshes with how his powers are depicted in the comics, but he may be physically projecting these personalities into the world around him.

To me it's more interesting if some of them are his hallucinations, and some aren't. Like, maybe the people who show up to rescue him (the three by the pool) are real, but everything else that's happening is his powers just going ham on everyone trying to kill him and he hallucinates the different personalities doing those actions. Of course, it's not like it'll be bad if Bird is the only real person there either.

Very good pilot though, glad to see him out in the wild at the end of the episode.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Syd isn't Rogue. Rogue doesn't have mind-swap powers.

I mean, that's true, but you could have accomplished something pretty similar if it had been Rogue and she gained David's powers without being able to control them, which causes crazy poo poo to happen and David escapes in the confusion.

I think maybe they just wanted some more crazy poo poo to happen in their crazy poo poo show, and "mind swap" is crazier than power drain.

One thing I haven't seen discussed is the fact that it seems like when Syd's powers run out, rather than just the minds swapping back and the bodies staying in their physical locations your physical body instantly goes to wherever you've moved the body you took over, and vice versa. Like, if it had worked how we normally see mind swaps go then when the time was up Syd would be back in her body at that little outdoor cafe and David would be back in the mental hospital. I wonder if we'll get more info on how that works later on, because it's actually a much more versatile power that way and becomes much better for spying. You could kidnap a general, swap with him, walk right into a secure military base and get all sorts of intelligence, then when it runs out you swap right back to wherever you tied the general up and he's back at the base. You don't even have to worry about your allies not realizing if you're back or not, since your physical form will change. Anyway, it's some sort of mind swap and teleport combo that I've literally never seen before, so kudos on them for coming up with a new wrinkle on a common power.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

frgildan posted:

I'm wondering if any of its real. We saw that he hung himself in the beginning. There's a chance this is all just his brain random firing before death.

So you're saying Jacob's Ladder? I'm down with that. So nice to get to drop this How Did This Get Made leitmotif in here.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yep, Hawley just continues to bust out super rad T.V. shows, ever since Fargo all he's done is spin pure gold. I hope he's also the head guy running the show in season 2. I figure you can add a few new characters to the hero side and a few low-level mutants and a super strong mutant on the evil government side and do a fun show with Shadow King out of his head (either entirely or just greatly diminished) and David vs. the government big gun. I'd certainly be behind David meeting his dad as well somewhere in the mix.

I think there's also rich ground to be mined about how David's power level is super terrifying even if he's 100% in control of it, melding people into surfaces and basically making whatever he wants to have happen, happen. You could do a fun angle with someone on the good guy side, maybe even his adoptive sister, betraying him just because they think he's too powerful to have in the world on any level. I mean, heroes (most notably Batman) have acted against Superman for that same reason, now imagine Superman recently hosted a crazy evil mind parasite and just generally acts barely sane.

Give Hawley another 10 years or so making shows like this and he'll have earned some kind of lifetime achievement award at the Emmys or some other major formal recognition, in my view he's more than halfway there already he just needs to string together a larger body of work at this same quality level.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Megaspel posted:

What powers did David lose when he broke up with the Shadow King? Shadow King can teleport right, and probably like large scale telekinetic stuff? He had to use them to hold those soldiers in a big ball, so I'm guessing he can't do stuff like that any more. The teleporting/disintegrating thing seems pretty SK as well. What does that leave David with? The power to create mind palaces and telepathy?

My take on it was that Shadow King had rocking telepathy and that's it, but then he started pulling off wild powers in other people's bodies so now I'm not as sure. I feel like it's more likely that King picked up some powers from being in David for so long, rather than David only having those powers because of Shadow King's presence.

Still, it makes sense to depower David somewhat in season 2, since otherwise it basically boils down to finding out where Shadow King is, and as soon as you do David should be able to poof right to him and defeat him fairly easily. He could probably even handle the finding telepathically. I'd totally get behind David finding himself suddenly far less crazy, but much weaker since Shadow King was actually revving up his powers to the max for his own purposes, and now he has to put in the time to actually learn how to handle all the crazy stuff he can do, maybe generally focusing on learning one fancy power at a time.

Ultimately, whatever Hawley comes up with will inevitably be awesome though, so I ain't worried.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

drat, that was a really cool and well done visual effect, and bonus points because I've never seen anything quite like it. Maybe face shifts between a few people, but usually it's far more glaring and sudden and this had a real nice flow to it on top of using a ton of faces and voices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

DaveKap posted:

It took me way too long to get to this point but I'm here with you now. Legion just plain can't have proper seasonal plot pacing. Period. So just sit back, relax, and enjoy each episode as its own individual amazingness. Considering Noah Hawley has a semi-mastery of seasonal anthology (via fargo... s3 forced me to add the "semi") it would make sense that he's failing a bit on a "proper" fully serialized plotline. That said, I'm now super curious how he'd handle an episodic anthology ala Black Mirror or Tales from the Crypt.

As emotionally engaging, draining, and amazing as this episode was, I'm still holding out hope for a solid 5-minute scene in this season that makes me feel as excited and entertained as S1's Bolero scene. This ep was like an hour long sad version of that.

Edit: I am just now realizing that my favorite Hawley work (s1/2 of Fargo) I binged all at once while my lesser favorite work (Fargo s3 and s1 Legion) was watched weekly. I'm now convinced that Hawley's work all has to be fully binged. Get this man a Netflix deal, please!

This feeling of Hawley needing to be binged is exactly why I'm waiting to watch this whole season in one sitting, I felt that same sense of impatience and desire to see the next step all the way through each Fargo season and especially in S1 of Legion, so now I'm just giving in and waiting on all things Hawley.

This probably won't hold up for a S4 of Fargo since I love that show too drat much to resist, but I'm holding to it so far on Legion despite really liking S1.