Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Lowtechs posted:

drat too many comic book nerds in the thread over thinking things.

It's actually the non-comic book nerds over thinking things when it comes to what might actually be going on in the overarching plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

neoaxd posted:

I got a real kick out of David doing a dubious Patrick Stewart impression in the classroom when talking about his father.

Yeah this coupled with the probably-x-wheels-wheelchair flash, coupled with the way he drew his father bald and how that's pretty much how Xavier's first battle with Shadow King went down, all add up to there being no bones about who his real father is in this adaptation.

Also in the same episode that it's not a doubt it's some variation of the Shadow King or that specific host with the name drop.

I think all the cards have been pretty much laid out on the table going back many episodes, and I don't understand why people here and elsewhere think up these crazy convoluted theories except that it's become habit/they enjoy it from experiences with shows in the past (I can think of one show in the past that definitely exploded this trend.) Noah Hawley said all along that this show wasn't going to be a puzzle box.

ozza posted:

Another good ep of a good show. One aesthetic misstep though I think has been making the Shadow King a CG character. Would have been more effective / menacing if it had the weight of a real person in ugly fat slug prosthetics, I think.

Again, the kind of post that makes me wonder if people even really pay attention to the poo poo they watch or if they're on their phones the whole time.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Klungar posted:

I felt like the official Shadow King reveal with Cary and Oliver lacked something. How do these people know who the Shadow King/Farouk is? If they were that intimately familiar with him before, why did they not jump to this conclusion before? There were some obviously a lot of exposition dumps in this episode, but the others worked a lot better for me than this one.

At some point in the episode someone asked Cary/Bill Irwin who Farouk was when he mentioned it and he said something like "It's a long story..." Which is basically code for "maybe it'll be explained later."

As for why they didn't jump to that conclusion before, well, maybe they only knew him as Farouk who was a human host, and not SK/TYED. Basically, maybe wait and it'll be explained. Maybe not and oh well or it will be explained in Season 2.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Interesting that when asked about why the Shadow King/Devil With The Yellow Eyes looked like Mojo, Hawley didn't bring up that--in the comics--Shadow King's long-term host bodies (at least) are usually really really fat because of SK's innate lack of self-control. That includes Farouk.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Well, overall the series was great and a breath of fresh air in a genre I enjoy, but this finale was underwhelming, fine and perfectly serviceable, but more was probably expected by everyone. And this seems to be the more universal sentiment at this point.

Wasn't expecting a "Boom goes the dynamite" reference.

I like that a lot of you are shocked by that wtf post-credits ending (though it is wtf), when this isn't new when it comes to a Hawley ending. See the end of Fargo S2.

A current theory about the ending is a Shi'ar device. Look it up. I don't remember enough about the Shi'ar or any involvement they may have had with David or Shadow King to make a judgement.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

MiddleOne posted:

I'm still not entirely sure what even happened beyond the shadow king running off in Icemans body.

That's what happened.

Tried to get SK out of David, Syd I guess believes SK about killing David before SK would ever leave him and intercedes, SK transfers to Syd, SK transfers to Kary/Cary, SK as Cary/Kary clashes with David and I guess gets forced out of that host, closest host is Oliver, SK escapes in Oliver's body, David gets kidnapped by Mr.Terrific's T-Sphere.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Serf posted:

We never did find out what was in the drat cage! :argh:

It was a dog. Shocking, I know.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Chadzok posted:

I do agree they could have killed off one or more characters. I thought for a second he was gonna run off in Syd; that could have been a hook for the next season - and also in character, loving with David in a major way.

Hawley might be consciously trying to stay away from the whole killing off characters thing since it has tended to be overdone in the past several years.

Chadzok posted:

A bit disappointed that David seems to not be generally insane apart from the parasite. Not really faithful to the character.

I don't know how that's what you got out of all of this and the finale, both because of the rather long scene with David and Syd in the woods where he ruminates on the very subject, and because ambiguity doesn't mean definiteness.

Klungar posted:

The Shi'ar don't really have much to do with David, but they have a TON to do with Professor X.

Ah, yeah. That much I remember.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

double negative posted:

Someone needs to take that gun away from Ptonomy

God, this. This so much. It was all I could think about during that scene but forgot to mention it.

To maybe answer one of a recent poster's questions: I think SK just wants full control of a very powerful mutant and that's why he'd been working on David from within for decades.

Now I think at the end what SK references looking for is just another powerful mutant, and I'm guessing that will be in Season 2.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Phylodox posted:

I think Lenny's definitely looking for something. There was that scene in the map room in David's head where it kept saying "Where is it? Where did he hide it?" So it's probably looking for some doohickey that Xavier hid and thought the answer might be in David's head.

Hmm. You're right I forgot about that.

Crusader posted:

Any guesses on who the guy hanging out with the military brass was? He seemed to be too young (and was, well, standing) to be Xavier, but there seemed to be recognition of SK in the flashes also.

Um. That was the burned guy's husband, who you just saw minutes earlier at the beginning of the episode? I think that's about it at this point.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

mikeraskol posted:

SK being a hedonist and ending up in Oliver is pretty funny. Almost a little too on the nose.

Someone please explain something to me, because I think I missed something. I thought they fired a missile at the house. They were holding off for a while but then the military guy ordered it. What ever happened to that? Or could it not have been a missile, but instead was the post-credit device?

The general guy just said to prepare it, we never actually saw or heard a command to fire/launch it. He called it the Peacekeeper or Peacemaker or something.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Honestly, I think what I--and maybe many other people--were hoping for was a crazy and visually creative Astral Plane battle like the original one between Xavier and Farouk both from the comics and alluded to in this series in the scene with David in the classroom.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Bust Rodd posted:

I think if we had gotten the Astral Plane Goku vs Mewtwo psychic bubble battle that would have been lame.

That's not necessarily what we meant. I for one said "crazy and visually creative." I wanted Noah Hawley's version of an Astral Plane battle as the climactic set-piece.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Alright so no to an Astral Plane battle but how about just something more climactic than two people running at each other, colliding, and being thrown backwards.

AndyElusive posted:

What's the deal with the strange moment when Clark (the burned interrogator dude) is being offered a glass of water and Kerry demands that he takes it from the table?

Was it just awkwardness relating to the firestorm at The Pool?

Yeah I wondered that myself since there was a lot of emphasis on it.

My guess is twofold: Kerry thinks it's a security concern and Clark could take advantage of close contact with Cary, and Kerry doesn't want Cary touching Clark because Cary touching Clark might be like Kerry herself touching Clark and she doesn't want that.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Comics Farouk was Shadow King's host body for hundreds of years iirc.

So after that much time they might refer to him/it by that name anyway.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Nevvy Z posted:

Is there a word for shapes made of men like that?

I nominate Human Topiary.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

DrunkPanda posted:

I agree with Syd being horrible. That's the SECOND time she's tried to sabotage the team's plans in some ill thought out attempt to save David. I don't know why Melanie hasn't kicked her out or had her killed. Esp as the second time directly led to her losing Oliver again

This is overstating it if the presumption what that David really was going to die if they kept trying to force SK out that way and soon.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
From the reaction of like Cary, the physical state that David was in and getting worse, and the fact they were going to apply even more power to the process, it really didn't look like it was going well or going to end well.

Edit: vvv I never knew I wanted this until now.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 3, 2017

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Mr. Unlucky posted:

this show is dumb as gently caress and so was fargo.

Cool! Thanks for dropping by!

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I think people are unnecessarily criticizing Syd's characterization.

She had agency. She saved David and other people more than once. She has her own issues, which Stack Goat pointed out (I mean remember the how she lost her virginity story?) She's not just there to be the girlfriend, and she chose David as much as he chose her.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Mr. Nemo posted:

Someone posted earlier that Shadow King might be looking for another very powerful mutant now that David is no longer an option. Considering he was looking for something Xavier knew about, anyone else think he may be looking for Cerebro? When I first thought that I said "too comic booky", but then again, a floating orb kidnapped David, so now I'm on the maybe camp.

I said that I think, but I don't remember when it was said or implied that whatever he's looking for is something Xavier knew about.

I think Cerebro is something too closely identifiable with X-Men for that to be in S2.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Grem posted:

Hey look Aubrey Plaza gets her first starring role.

What. She had a starring role in Life After Beth and some other movie about two guys needing wedding dates or something. Also, Safety Not Guaranteed.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Leading role and starring role mean pretty much the same thing nowadays as far as I know.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

flosofl posted:

You base that on?

I think you can purely base it on Division 13 or 19 or whatever they were called.

...though I suppose they could be working internationally.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

STAC Goat posted:

You know, after they deal with that whole Pokemon thing.

"Gotta catch them all. All the mutants" Combining Pokemon and X-Men 2 dialogue.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Megaspel posted:

Honestly I think it's sometime between the last wolverine movie and the last x men movie.

You think It's somewhere between Logan and Apocalypse? Why? (Guessing you mean the reverse, but I understood your meaning.)

Ultimately, yeah, the answer is it doesn't really matter for now, and it's supposed to make you feel out of place and uncomfortable like characters on the show are feeling.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Megaspel posted:

I forgot Apocalypse was set a bit in the past, I just meant I think it's near future, definitely before Logan where all the mutants are extinct or whatever. I'm not sure how much the Marvel TV series tie into the canon of the movies, traditionally they haven't linked them too much, remember agents of whatever being dismissed as a dead man's dream.

None of them connect because everything X-Men related is not in the MCU.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Spatula City posted:

I love it, but I guess I get why wiki-nerds hate it. Noah Hawley seems to be making it part of his mission to troll those people. :allears:

Sure, the time period thing is a non-issue and adds to the show instead of detracting, but Hawley trolling "wiki-nerds" (whatever that is unless you just mean people who obsessively edit wiki pages)? :cmon:

I don't think Hawley is being disingenuous, insincere, or trolling anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Chokes McGee posted:

I have a nasty secret to confess.

I liked Iron Fist a lot :blush:

Ouch.