Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Me and a friend were catching up on Agents of Shield and Hulu autoplayed the first episode of Legion after AoS ended. Man, even knowing what was going to happen it was just a great episode. My friend has been dragging his feet on watching Legion because [reasons], so hopefully it'll get him to pick it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
"His blood pressure is 90 over 120."
"Just like the others."

This is physiologically impossible. That also doesn't really mean it's wrong in this show, though I'd be interested in seeing how you'd come up with a number like that using a blood pressure cuff.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Flyinglemur posted:

OMG you guys are right. This is the worst documentary ever.

It really is, I find myself way more confused about telepathy and dance-offs after watching it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

swickles posted:

That hit me hard too, to the point that I can't see this as an actual error, but maybe thinking the time travel stuff is in effect, or the "virus" causes a reversal in circulation or something.

That's exactly what I was thinking, too. I love that the show is so hosed up that it could have been completely intentional. (I like how blasé they are about it, too. "Welp, another physiologic impossibility, it must be Tuesday!")

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Milo and POTUS posted:

idk poo poo about this so why

The upper number is how much pressure is generated by the heart squeezing. The lower number is the pressure in between beats. So if the lower number was greater, when the heart was squeezing it would somehow be generating negative pressure, which would reverse blood flow (and require nonfunctional valves).

Thing is, when you measure blood pressure with a cuff you're just looking at a dial while slowly decreasing pressure and marking when you start to hear beats and when the noise goes away. So you'd still parse it as 120/90. You'd need an arterial pressure catheter to tell the difference, because then you could see the pressure wave mismatch.

Or, you know, Sci fi magic. So it might be a flub or it might not. They didn't shock asystole or anything, so they're still okay in my book.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

MiddleOne posted:

Seriously what is with Hollywood and loving typecasting.

The same thing as "what is it with Hollywood and remakes/sequels/rebranding something to another popular intellectual property?" Why take a risk when you can try to cash in on something that worked before?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

Yeah, and I also had a hard time believing that the guy who politely spoke with agent Clarice Starling was the same Dr. Lecture who kills a guard and mutilates it to look like an angel. As we all know, monsters always seem like monsters and never hide behind a charming facade.

I mean, I know he was patronizing and everything, but give the guy a break, he rarely got to talk to people.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Man, I thought I'd clicked on the thread for season two of The Handmaid's Tale and I was all :raise: at it being described as "wacky."

I got nothin' else. I'm just really looking forward to the next episode (of both, but Legion is definitely a less tense viewing experience).

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
I loved the episode. At first I thought it was the remnants of Amy in Lenny, emphasizing how much of her life was focused on David. A "multiverse exploration" concept is a bit less interesting to me but Dan Stevens did a superb job. Show remains excellent, hyped for more. What's weird is that as dark as it is, it's still a more enjoyable watch lately than Agents of Shield, which has an overwhelming aura of depressing inevitability to it despite the fact that you know they have to resolve that condition in a few episodes.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Jesus, I would easily choose watching an entire episode of Homeless David wandering around with his shopping cart instead of The Walking Dead, so I find it hard to compare the two in any way. But I can understand why this episode is polarizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Watching Sesame Street with my toddler and juuust made the connection between Carey and Mr. Noodle.

Hooooo-lyyyyy shiiiiit. My toddler was watching Sesame Street today and I was just sitting there thinking Mr. Noodle looked so familiar. (Even stranger, I had just wistfully looked at my Control Panel threads and thought, "Man, it's a shame that no one is talking about Legion anymore.")