Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So, pretty confusing so far, but very pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That barely looks like Jemaine Clement.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, pretty sure that the Devil with the Yellow Eyes is the Shadow King.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Good episode. The Shadow King is pretending to be Lenny, who was actually Benny?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm pretty sure Lenny was indeed real, but only the one at the psychiatric center. There's probably a reason why she was the only one killed, and it was because the Shadow King didn't like her being so close to David.

So then the Shadow King started to change David's memories around and also appear to him in a less-threatening version than as the Demon with Yellow Eyes, so he could get David to trust him more and open up more of his powers. Replacing Benny with Lenny to earn even more trust as it seemed that he had known her longer. Seems as if he's spent David's entire life trying to be his best friend/confidant to keep building David and his own powers up. First the teddy bear, then the dog, and then David's only and best friend.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I love how they worked the Shadow King into this.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That was loving terrifying.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'm absolutely into this show, but part of me is a bit disappointed they're only going with the one extra personality. I mean, he's bloody well called "legion" for a reason.

Remember that David heard voices telling him to not try and hang himself, and we've seen scenes where he's surrounded by people yelling at him.

I think they're in there, but the Shadow King has suppressed or scared them, or maybe even absorbed them which would be why he appears so fat.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Megaspel posted:

Jay from Jay and Miles Explain the X-Men was saying that the show will most likely end in the destruction of the world. He hasn't actually watched it yet, but is guessing based on who's writing it. Makes a lot of sense, sorta seems like an inevitability with uncontrolled unlimited power.

Eh, I disagree. The show is very, very personal. Expanding that to a world-ending scenario seems to be getting away from the focus on the individuals and more on the outside world.

I would guess it's much more likely to end the way X-Men Legacy did when David was the star.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Well I don't know what that scene was, but I liked it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dmitri-9 posted:

Lenny is Legion's version of Cassandra Nova

Nah, it's the Shadow King for sure. Maybe Xavier defeated him and he hid or took refuge in David when he was young, and was going to possess him before he learned how powerful David was.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Shadow King namedrop!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

His real accent!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That was a great episode.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

DrPlump posted:

Another relevant thing I noticed when David was locked in the mental coffin last episode you could head hundreds of other voices calling him stupid. I am guessing these other people in his mind might help him with the shadow king.

I'm gonna guess that the way David defeats the Shadow King is by freeing all the other voices or personalities in his head, and that will allow them to overpower and destroy or permanently imprison the Shadow King.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

That would be a pretty smart set up for season 2's main plot - the only thing that can beat David is David.

Yeah, and I mean, this is called Legion and we've only seen one other voice in his head besides the Shadow King. So it would make sense to have the next season be about the actual legion in David's head.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I hope the Shadow King shows up in Oliver's head next year and is played by Bret McKenzie.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That scene was wonderful.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm gonna take a stab at who the villain is and say that it isn't David, but is going to be another interpretation of an X-Men villain. So my guesses are Proteus, who is in David's body, or some new version of Onslaught.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

David is unquestionably more powerful, but the Shadow King is more experienced.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ugh I hate that teeth chattering sound. It's so uncomfortable

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, this seems to take the history from the comics in that the Shadow King was the most powerful entity around until Xavier showed up and defeated him.

And we don't know where Xavier is, so it's possible that if the other characters think he's off the board, that they're afraid there's nothing to stop the Shadow King except an inexperienced and possibly compromised David.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dmitri-9 posted:

I think we kind of caught Shadow King in a lie about the teeth chattering. He deflects it onto the monk but the rest of the monks displayed hysterical laughter, contagious suicidal ideation, and teeth chattering BECAUSE of their proximity to the Shadow King's body.

Also this episode seems to imply that the oil chicken of delusion is related to the monk and the teeth chattering. It is obviously contagious having affected Syd and now Ptonomy and I wonder if the delusion is that they can trust the Shadow King.

I dunno, I think it might be possible that something else inhabited the Shadow King's body. Or the absence of him in his body caused something worse to happen. There must be a reason that he wants his body back so much when we've already seen that he can control other people and still use his powers. The body itself might contain some power, and without a driving conscious, it's let loose.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sublime is a good idea. Though with that and the talk about Morrison, now I want to see Legion use Cassandra Nova. That would be incredible.

And they could have Aubrey Plaza play her.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It seems to be that the Shadow King's body itself is dangerous and can cause madness and other ailments. So it might make sense that in the future, because David kills the Shadow King, the body continues to spread all of that unchecked. Or maybe David ends up putting his consciousness in it and that corrupts him, which is why future Syd was coy about where David was in the future.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Haha, Jon Hamm was voicing a car commercial and I wasn't looking and thought it was the show coming back on.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

drat, this is a hell of a show.

I guess we can see why David killed the Shadow King in future Syd's timeline.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

There is definitely something up with Fukuyama. Amy having a dream about being Vermillion and the Shadow King knowing how to track where she was points to a connection with Fukuyama. Then Ptonomy seeing him when he looked in Lenny's memories seems to be connected to the delusion infecting him. Is Fukuyama the Shadow King's body and the search for it just one giant misdirection in order to weaken David?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I have no idea what's going on.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So... was that just a what if episode showing alternate timelines? Or was that a clue that this is all in David's head?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

flatluigi posted:

there was only a quick flash of a video to confirm it, but trillionaire David was fully taken over by Fahrouk.

I don't know where the happy family David fit in with the other timelines, but I imagine its inclusion was to show that what David's mind was desperately searching for was not purely happiness for himself

Was that the same one as the one he saw Syd in?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Well, :rip: Ptonomy

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Syd parachuting out of a plane like it's no big deal owns.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

There just doesn't seem to be much to talk about. The show moves so slow. It's a great watch, but it hasn't done much to answer the questions it's put out, and speculation is near impossible.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Is there a list of where the minotaur has shown up? I'm surprised I haven't heard about it before.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I really like Cary and Kerry.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I hope Syd isn't going for this poo poo.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Come on, Syd. Punch her lights out.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yay, Kerry got to kick to some butt!

Uh, for a little bit at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Farouk is back in his body, David is questioning himself after being tricked into doing a horrible thing and finding himself liking that, his girlfriend apparently has lost faith in him, everyone from Division 3 is in pretty big danger, and David might not be strong enough to defeat the Shadow King in his body.

It set up a lot. Though I was half expecting that last shot of the Shadow King to be interrupted with Lenny shooting him in the head.