Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That sequence was incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Boo, Syd. You suck.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

David screwed up in erasing Syd's memories, but Syd was totally tricked by the Shadow King.

Well, David just needs to grab Lenny and get out so those two can go on the run together.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So the Shadow King created a self-fulfilling prophecy when he turned Syd against David, which lead to these events where they all now believe David is a villain. Plus it was totally lovely of them to put David on trial for things he hadn't done, when Farouk has actually done a ton of bad poo poo.

Season 3 with David and Lenny on the run should be real good though.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, if Hawley is trying to make everyone root against David and for Syd... I uh, don't think that'll work. Especially David with Lenny, who is probably the most popular character on the show.

The non-consensual sex thing was gross and wrong, but seems like an easy way for someone to go "they're a villain!" And if he's trying to set up Syd as the protagonist, I think they messed that up when they had her spend an hour getting manipulated by the Shadow King and falling for his tricks. Because now it seems like everyone thinks David is a bad guy because the Shadow King manipulated them to think that. Especially now that they seem to have forgiven the Shadow King for, you know, killing a whole bunch of their guys and David's sister.

"Well we know you're a murderer and have possessed our friends and allowed them to be tortured and killed scores of people... but you say that the guy who stopped you is going to do bad stuff in the future? Well poo poo, welcome to the team!"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This is not a failing of the series. You absolutely should think that, for a second; it's exactly what David's thinking and we're along for the ride with him.

Then you should have a moment of introspection and realize how hosed up and self-serving that is.

I think everyone realizes how bad that was and his actions afterwards were even worse.

But then the other people join up with a remorseless mass murderer and uh, they kind of lose the moral high ground.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

"Agree to treatment or we will terminate you" is NOT offering help. That's backing someone into a corner, all the while his lifelong tormentor is standing off to the side having apparently been given a pass. We've seen a future where David is on his meds, and he's a zombie incapable of doing anything. We've also seen a future where he is left alone and off his meds, and he's a relatively harmless hobo (unless provoked).

If they truly wanted to offer him help, they would have been upfront and honest with him and not put him into a cage where his choices are "zombie or death." David has constantly shown that he will listen and that he wants to do the right thing, but struggles in understanding what that is or how to get it.

And lest we forget that Division 3 still had Lenny locked up. Why? If she was the Shadow King's thrall, well they're letting him run around. She was instrumental in helping to capture him in the first place. She's been one of the Shadow King's victims, and they treated her worse than they did him.

And come on, implanting suggestions to help defeat the enemy because the enemy can read minds isn't bad. He didn't force them to do anything. But the Shadow King forced Melanie to assault Clark, then kidnapped Syd, and ordered Oliver to pretend to still be possessed while he possessed Melanie. It is way loving stupid to have the Shadow King walking around freely after all of this.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Unless provoked, in which case he could literally end the world.

I don't think you guys are grasping how bad "god-like powers" and "unmedicated schizophrenic" are as a combination. Farouk is more vile but he's not "unstable." He wants power, obedience, and luxury and would be bored out of his wits without people to rule over. Aside from the fact that he's one man with psychic powers and not a nation-state, we deal with that every day anyways.

In that timeline, he got killed by Kerry without too much of an issue.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

glad she is dead posted:

What you're calling "the good guy" tortured a man to death, then brainwashed and raped his girlfriend.

He didn't kill Oliver.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

In the comics, David has been portrayed as very sympathetic and not evil or irreparably broken. I can't really think of an arc where he is actually treated like he can't be helped. Even his biggest moment came out of a misguided attempt to help his father.

So I think the TV show has been pretty faithful to his character. Well-meaning, naive, crazy, prone to screwing up, and just searching for approval and validation.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I had no idea this was back on so soon

I also have no idea what the hell is going on

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 25, 2019

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like bringing in a time traveler since it pretty much takes from Legon's most famous moment

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So David definitely wants to go back in time and either kill his father or just erase himself from existence.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kerry, Cary, and Switch are the only pure characters on the show. Everyone else alternates between sympathetic and vile.

It's still hilarious that they're letting the Shadow King strut around after all the terrible poo poo he's done but want to straight up murder David.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Oh man, are we getting Xavier vs. Shadow King here? That would rule.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

eke out posted:

oh god they're doing the "david meddling with his own past drove his mother crazy" thing aren't they

It seems like maybe Farouk took over his mother?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

She called him "my boy" just like the Shadow King does.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I kind of feel like Farouk had some influence over Gabrielle. And him calling David "my beautiful boy" just like she did has to mean something. Maybe he actually does see David as his son and wants him to live? It would make sense since when he found out Syd killed him before they time traveled, he tried to talk her out of going again.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

No, I'm pretty sure it all happened.

I missed why she was in the institution in the first place. Xavier goes because he's traumatized at using his powers to have someone kill themselves.

But it seemed like she was under the Shadow King's influence a little while there.

They then leave and have a kid and then Xavier builds Cerebro, finds the Shadow King and goes to meet him. He eventually confronts and kills the body and expels his mind. That goes to the Haller household to attach itself to David.

The real question is when did the Shadow King start to influence the house.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

David didn't kill Cary or Kerry so he's not all bad.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Man this should be one hell of a finale.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Farouk has always been evil. He lured Xavier to him and clearly is trying to take his mind over and insert himself in there. Failing that we've seen him take an interest in David even before he meets Xavier.

I'm looking forward to the Xavier and David tag team.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Here's hoping Xavier can hold his own against old Shadow King

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I think Farouk had an unearned face turn at the end there. It needed more time or clues. It still almost worked though because the actor is so cool.