Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am never a fan of Alice In Wonderland imagry, it feels so cliche and hackish for anything weird. But i'm into 60s guru david.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This very easily could be like a Grant Morrison X-men, he loves doing weird surreal poo poo like this, though he'd have David be bald, because he only writes characters that are self inserts.

Only things I did not like about this episode was seeing Kerri get killed a bunch of times and one of the hippies in the musical number was really, really out of time with the music and it was distracting. But everything else, oh man, I wanna see more. Gimme this weird rear end show straight into my veins.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm not sure Lenny is on David's side for anything other than the power it gives her. She straight up said that she was his #2, and no one better gently caress with that.

I looked into the thread and wondering what people were talking about with Bill Irwin doing a clown routine and was wondering what you meant, then I saw it. That was fantastic. Also great scene of him and Kerri mirroring each other. Have I mentioned how much I love Amber Midthunder? I do with we could see her kicking rear end more often though.

So, this show is expensive right? Like the sets are all amazing and intricate and would have to take a lot of work to build them

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Vernacular posted:

The blatant Alice in Wonderland stuff all feels a little hackneyed and kind of detracts from the show's unique feel. Hopefully we don't get more trite Mad Hatter etc. references, the Legion aesthetic is strong enough to manage without them.

Otherwise I'm thoroughly enjoying everything.

Yea, I hope that's the only time we see it. I've said many times, mostly in Batman related threads where the Mad Hatter is featured, that making Alice In Wonderland referances, either subtle or blatant, when things get weird is really hackneyed and lazy writing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was thinking about the little sphere thing. Didn'y Cary say "wait I built this"; which makes me think it was built by the Cary that's at David's cult, sent back in time by switch to, change David somehow? Or maybe bring past David to meet with current David.

I really hate they threw in that "its not Shi'iar" still, because I know it was an easter egg for X-men fans, but it suggests a massive, huge thing that will never be followed up on.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

night slime posted:

Isn't Professor X involved with the Shi'iar or something? They could still bring it up.

Yea that's one of the things that it implies. David's biological dad is banging a space bird jerk empress.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Lenny has some level of control over David because she's an enabler.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was legit surprised that they did admit to him being Charles. Also surprised they did this part of his origin story. Too bad they didn't show him in the Hospital with his bff Erik.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Chuck did a lot of fuckin' you see. At least when Logan does it, it's a fun tumble in the hay, Xavier makes it this big thing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

beanieson posted:

So comics Xavier was loving one of his patients in the mental health unit 😬

It has been noted before, but Professer X is a Jerk.

Like he's literally the worst.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SardonicTyrant posted:

My personal Xavier is the 90s X-men show one, who's generically pleasant and also has a girlfriend who is a bird.

He doesn't go off into space to bang his bird girlfriend, leaving all the X-men and New Mutants to fend for themselves or have Magneto babysit them in that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

night slime posted:

When I was a kid I thought Xavier was weird as poo poo cause there was this Ultimate X-Men panel that implied he was keeping Mystique tranformed as a pet cat. I read a bit ago that it ended up being just the cat's name.

I realized a few years ago that outside of Spider-Man, Ultimate comics were pretty poo poo.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Oasx posted:

First two volumes of Ultimates were great, there were also a few good limited series.

Basically anything Loeb did was garbage. Most of Millar was trash too. Bendis was like the only one that wasn't just trying to be edgy.

You know understand old man, twins gently caress all the time in our world! Says Pietro to Captain America while he bangs Wanda with Wolverine watching.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's awesome when Aunt May slaps Cap at Peter's Funeral because he was directly responsible for Peter's death.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really liked that, but I am always a fan of "broken" time episodes. But yea, Cary taking Switch with him realizing that David was controlling them was great. David is clearly going to go off the deepend because he has zero moderating influence, as Lenny is just going to push him to be worse and worse, and without Switch he can't fix time the way he wants.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

By popular demand posted:

They were Practically built and then enhanced with CGI, which I find to be the best approach unless you got major motion picture kind of money.

E: images from that spoiler article:

So they're Blue Meanies? They looked like that dude from Nier to me.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So David isn't supposed to be sympatheic right? Because him going around and killing everyone willy nilly and saying it doesn't matter because he is going to fix everything makes him a selfish, spoiled rear end in a top hat. Like rather than stop being a needy, selfish jerk and try to be a better person, naw he'd just change reality so that's fine!

I don't know why Switch went with him so easily though. Going to assume that David planted a trigger inside of her to get her to do whatever he says later.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea i figure that will come to play later.

But isn't David's motivation "don't I deserve love? Don't I deserve happiness?", but he doesn't care about what that does to other people. Only him being loved and him being happy matters.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was just getting that David feels entitled to love and happiness, and only he is entitled to that. He needs to fix the world so he can have Syd, so that his enemies are gone, his family is together.

It reminds me of that line in BoJack Horseman were Todd yells at BoJack and says "You can't just keep doing lovely things and then feeling bad about it, BE BETTER".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am not a fan of the "hey this huge world is actually inside the small thing!" stuff that gets used a lot lately, but this worked really well. I was dreading the rap battle, but it pulled it off. It could have very easily been the Robin Williams old white guy who raps, but nope. It was still a Dad Rap Battle, but it was really good.

Looked like they were going to leave Kerri behind so fight the blue meanies, but nope, she casually kicks one and then walks into the time portal.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DaveKap posted:

You know Jemaine Clement is one half of the Flight of the Conchords which did this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYVIFGqorLI
So as soon as he said "rap battle" I was like "I don't even loving care how useless this episode will be to the whole series, this is now the best episode of the season" and then the rap happened and it was the best episode of the season.
And

Oh yea, but isn't the thing with FotC is they're supposed to be bad and thats with them writing it, not someone else. I did not know what to expect from it. I really should just trust this show, its never let me down so far.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DaveKap posted:

No. They're good. Genuinely good. They go on tours. In the show they are portrayed as bad when you, the watcher, understand them to be good. I don't know if that's what you mean or not but I also came into it with the perspective that they let Bill Irwin do his clown act so they were letting Jemaine do his musical act, thus I trusted he did the writing for it and was immediately struck with excitement and glee. I get your perspective either way, I just wanted to make sure you weren't missing out on Flight of the Conchords because if anyone loves Jemaine in this show, they need to know about his earlier, fantastic work. :)

That's what I meant, in the universe of the show, FotC are supposed to be a bad band, as the joke is their only fan is Kristen Schaal. At least that's how I remember the show.

I've seen to many things with rap battles between two white(ish) guys that are super cringy. As I said, I should have learned to trust this show by now. I'll thrown in What We Do In The Shadows for another amazing Jermaine thing. Hell, he's good as the villain Men in Black 3. It's like he's really amazing or something.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Take that Adam Ant!

Corte posted:

Sold, I'll now be disappointed if it's anything else, maybe splash in some Evangelion with everyone clapping for Syd

Get in the Basket or Cary will have to pilot it again.

So did Farouk take peoples minds and shove them in that monkey and little girl? I wonder if that is something that increases his power or he just likes keeping them around to torture them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Watch it is a time loop and that David is the cause of all his own misery.