Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Spoiling my guess about the mental hospital sequences, not sure how much of the show it could be true for, probably none of it. But I've read the books and that may have influenced my guesses even if I don't remember them great.
None of this is real, david's done a bunch of crazy poo poo and the whole episode is in his head where he is trying to stay in control, or others are trying to keep him under control in telepathic constructs. He's aware and in on it. At least, that's what I immediately started guessing when he turned to his sister and said "something new needs to happen" and that fact that he wasn't allowed to get too close, in case they touch accidentally. He's getting bored and then his subconscious brought his sluggy TK buddy out to play, then later a cute girl personality because david wants to be touched, as the therapist references, but he can't touch her because she's not real.Also that weird green guy hiding on the wall in the cafeteria. No mental hospital would let a patient do that.

Edit- Or everyone who talks to her, which means everyone David interacts with and one of the nurses, is one of his alternates.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

dangerdoom volvo posted:

I dont think this show will be very related to comics legion. Which is good because they would gently caress it up

That's the quick and easy explanation for what that little chubby TK power character is who follows him around, as well as any other characters who arent real. The Shadowking theories are also interesting though, I only know him as Storm's old enemy personally.

A huge chunk of his comics recently are about him living in his head and learning ways to manage the other's that are there with him which is what I thought we were seeing throughout the first episode.

I do think that in the first episode any/all of the hospital and other past scenes had stuff going on that maybe didn't happen at the time. Green guy, the guy he saw getting out of the car that was in the room with him, and the girl when she walks out of the back of the dudes head which of course she tells us explicitly. All of these scenes were an unfriendly telepath exploring his memories. Maybe the green guy is a friendly TP spying on the bad guys?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I can't figure out what makes them so bad, but I hated all of them except Deadpool.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

lokipunk posted:

Oh man the dog's name is king.

We saw the dog get murdered though?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

The Benny/Lenny thing is pretty interesting, since Plaza stated that originally her part was written for a man (And noted that Hawley being willing to just throw that out and let her play it was a big reason she decided to do the show). So I wonder if Hawley and his writers just got the idea to do that later on or if it was always going to be that way from the start.

Her part was originally written for a man because the things she says are the things that a man said in David's past. She's just pasted into the event.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Sanschel posted:

I really hope they delve more into the Eye next episode, he's oddly intriguing. I also have no idea what his actual powers are; it seemed like shapeshifting via hypnosis but might actually be actual shapeshifting but also hypnosis?

I think he was able to disguise himself because he understood that it was a psychic projection.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's clearly Shadow King, even if they never quite call it that or it's not the same as the books. It's definitely based on Shadow King whether it came to David from the outside or from within. Also unclear who has what powers as far as David is concerned. In the books, David can use powers of his other personalities and they can theoretically take over his body. We see some of both of these things happening with King. King has TK powers? Or does he have teleport powers, and when he destroys things he does so by teleporting bits of them away? David has telepathy? Or another facet of David's mind has that power?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Elite posted:

When TYED is revealing himself to Amy he manifests as the Angry Boy too, but as you say there are also times where it looks like the Angry Boy actively works against TYED. Possibly it's some kind of defence mechanism, that's been partially co-opted/corrupted because TYED has burrowed so deeply into David.

Anyway I liked this episode a lot. I thought the aftermath scenes did a great job of selling the idea of implied action. And just in general I thought the episode was really unsettling.

I also like the irony of that ending scene. Here are all these people who've told David that he isn't crazy, and now TYED is going to make them question their own sanity.

Assuming the Angriest Boy is separate, TYED could control it the same way it controls David, potentially.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Emmy voters are not going to give a poo poo about a superhero show

Yeah, totally apt description of this show. :rolleyes:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I hope we see more of tree guy now. I bet he's a parasite too, just a chill little weak one with minor powers. :) Had to hide with Farouk around. Now it's safe to come out and play.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Is there a word for shapes made of men like that? Like the Agent Smith monster. Or the best action scene of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yysbbPStfWw

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Invalid Validation posted:

Shadow King better make Oliver sing the whole next season.

I can't imagine why they wouldn't make as much use of his brilliance as possible.

I'm really hoping we get to see Pete Wisdom in this show someday. He's in a great issue of Legion and the character could fit well into this world. He's something like a mutant James Bond. I think.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 2, 2017

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

The bodies switch places, as shown in the episodes where that happens.

It's this, but I think first the minds switch. So she touched her mom and swapped into her mom's body, then her own body swapped in while they were loving.

Then, presumably, she got swapped into his body...

Serf posted:

It took me roughly half the run of the show to realize that Syd was not some sort of agent for these people sent to get close to David. They treat her like she's part of their group.

Maybe they do that with everyone?

Or do we know how long it was between the hospital and rescuing David from the pool?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

The more time passes the more I think they filmed the pilot ahead of the rest of the show and their fire starter mutant just got cut for time/casting constraints

This seems likely.

They could have lost someone saving him and left that on the cutting room floor, or just decided they didn't need the character.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I kinda got worried that the thing that kills everyone is the Pheonix, but I doubt they're going to do that. Sublime or something on that level would be more realistic.

Though it could be a easter egg as you said.

Oooooh Hamm as Sublime seems to work pretty well based on what I remember.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Did we ever find out about the grassy guy and his whole deal from S1?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It was a lil cringy but after last weeks about how other people, possibly those same people you treat like they don't matter, sufficiently scared can murder the gently caress out of you I'm curious how these are gonna wind up tying in to the story.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I was half expecting her to swap into the minotaur.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Did Farouk use the transform gun on Melanie to restore his body? I didn't notice.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Shitenshi posted:

I think she had gotten her bearings back and they were just talking like old times once he visits her with his mental projection.

Ya know how we know she hadn't?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Monglo posted:

There's a lot of hot takes the finale ITT, but what's the explanation for them just releasing the totalitarian mind controlling mutant loose? They were bent on apprehending him and stopping him from getting his body, but then suddenly let him walk free and potentially mind-control them all?

This is very much a comic books thing.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Lid posted:

The David is a rapist plot point clashes hard with the episode where we spend meandering in She's memories for showing she's an unrepentant rapist herself that claims that these scars build character while people around her go to prison for her manipulations but in no way judges her. It's blatantly hypocritical but more so the show has become everyone are unlikable douche bags except Cary and Kerry.

Uh, who is a hypocrite?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
How many times did he say "we love each other" to Syd in this show previously? I thought that was an interesting moment. I might have to rewatch S1.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It goes back to what Cary said about reconciling who he thinks he is with what everyone else sees. When they tell him he's done bad things, he rejects it. Now he's telling himself that he "deserves to be loved". This is an absolute statement that does not consider any of his actions or behaviors. This is going further down that path of becoming a monster by convincing himself that he didn't err, and if he did he didn't mean it, etc... I think we are all familiar with the Narcissist's Creed.

It's not that he did bad things it's that he's not really seeking to improve himself but to somehow just undo them without really changing or growing as a person.

The flip side of this is that this is fantasy. I understand what's Syd said to him, but I'm not sure she's right, since he's using time travel it may be possible for him to actually undo himself in a way that the real world doesn't allow.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 5, 2019

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
People can do good things and also bad things

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
This is the least annoying character he has ever played

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

jerry seinfel posted:

Something I realized, maybe it won't matter

The Farouk that goes into baby David doesn't wear Jovial Farouk's clothes, it's Effortlessly Cool Farouk. Maybe it's an oversight, or they didn't have Past Farouk's look down, or Farouk changes his clothes when he travels but hm.

good catch I doubt this is an oversight.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

thumper57 posted:

Anyone else think maybe David doesn't actually have DID, but rather all the Legions are just previous iterations of himself having jumped into his baby self after losing a time-traveling conflict with Farouk?

Well I do NOW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Farouk is lonely. He tried to make a friend, and then he tried to make a friend. Now he's trying something else.