Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Why would anyone want fake memories over real experience? It's a pretty common refrain on these forums that people wish they could watch their favourite shows blind again, having the memory implanted would just put you at that point without ever actually experiencing the show fresh. Even real memories are never as good as the actual experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

God drat it's good to have this show back

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Isn't that a bit like saying you wish Breaking Bad didn't rely so heavily on drug dealing for its story telling?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

Navid Negahban loving nailed that scene.

Classy, French and menacing is such a great combination.

Isn't Farouk Moroccan? They do speak French there but also Arabic and Italian. He spoke a bunch of languages in that scene, not just French and English

e: Spanish not Italian

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 12, 2018

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

The intro-style "FX presents..." right at the end was interesting, seems to suggest poo poo is about to get real. Or unreal given that it's Legion. Can't wait.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Cool Cream cover!

The soundtrack for this episode was great

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Yes. There might be a contrarian naysayer or two (there always is) but overall the thread consensus has been that it's great.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Nick Rivers posted:

This was one of the better episodes of TV I have seen in a while.

This but for every episode of Legion

Skizzzer posted:

that was hosed up

This but for every episode of Legion

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

You forgot the most important question:

What is Oliver's plan to kill Farouk?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

dead comedy forums posted:

I don't think Farouk understood it. Some hypotheses:

1) Hubris: what is 1+1 is rather obvious. In this sense, Oliver means that is a pretty much natural conclusion that Farouk is going to get himself owned hard because he fundamentally doesn't get it how powerful David even after all those years in his head. Farouk went all last ditch effort to lock him down in a corner of his mind as a last resort in season one, only for David to spontaneously manifest a splinter personality that got their poo poo together pretty quick.

2) David is Legion: 1+1 is not equal 2 if David has, well, multiple personalities. Farouk ultimately can't have his powers without David being the "core" aspect keeping it together, because as per season one if he tries to destroy David's mind another personality simply comes up more than capable of loving up the shadow king.

3) The whole is more than the sum of its parts: just because you get David's body doesn't mean you are getting his powers, or that the Shadow King getting his own back means he can be all-powerful. Indeed, Xavier kicked his rear end when he had a body, so what stops David from doing so again only this time much harder?

None of these work imo, because they're all based around David killing Farouk. Oliver's threat was that he would kill Farouk. I really like Chokes McGee's guess, it works with the riddle too: Oliver is one, Farouk is one, but together they don't make two. They're still just one, which Oliver can kill.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Has Division 3/this show always been so full of hexagons? There were a lot of hexagons in this ep.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I really want to see this season every episode end with another psychic dance battle

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

double nine posted:

drat you David, you've ruined Lastly, Kerry kind of needs to learn all of the normal human stuff, like eating. And figures of speech.

And making GBS threads

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

So no-one has mentioned how Farouk rose from the dead and wore a crown of thorns

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Yeah I think the implication is he's an anti-christ figure.

Also, I really hope David and Lenny aren't gonna be an item now, given whose body Lenny is in and whose mind is still in there somewhere

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

:frogout:

Frog bong is best bong

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Idk I think it'd be kinda weird having Patrick Stewart in Legion when the show is separate to and has no continuity with the xmen movies

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

He might not have physically forced himself on her, but he did use mind powers to make her forget she didn't want to have sex with him. (Regardless of whether he made Sid love him in the first place or not.) As Sid herself puts it, he effectively drugged her and had sex with her, which is rape by any reasonable definition. I think from David's point of view he was just "fixing" Farouk's fuckery and he didn't realise that what he was doing was wrong, not that that makes it okay.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Oh okay that first sentence sounded like "oh it wasn't rape he just made her forget he's a bad guy", sorry if I misread it

Yeah I think that's just implied. Although it seems David is powerful enough and messed up enough that he might have done it subconsciously. I dunno if he's a "bad guy" as in like a villain at all, just a very messed up guy who means well but doesn't understand what's right and wrong sometimes and has unintentionally done a very bad thing. Which, while not at all justified, is somewhat understandable given his history of playing host to a psychic parasite for most of his life and also dealing with basically being a god and being feared/marginalised for it while just wanting a normal life.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Feb 14, 2019

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

You apologize to Jemaine Clement right loving now

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Haven't read the posts since the episode dropped but I'm 12 minutes in right now and yup I'm watching a Legion episode alright

e: that owned and I'm so glad this show is back

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jun 25, 2019

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

So if Switch can only safely go back a couple of hours at most, I guess David wanting to go way back and change past mistakes isn't gonna happen. Unless she like, levels up or defeats the time monster or something. I feel that trying to predict this show is pretty pointless though, pretty much anything is on the cards when you have god-level psychic wizards and time travelers in the mix. I should probably just sit back and enjoy the ride. The only thing I feel safeish guessing is that David will get a redemption arc and/or a tragic ending. Most likely both, he's a pretty tragic figure and between what he is and what he's been through I don't know how he could ever become a well-adjusted person who can properly empathise with normal people.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

IShallRiseAgain posted:

^Comic book Legion absorbs the personalities of the people he kills.

idk much about marvel or comics but i thought that was deadpool?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

bring back old gbs posted:

no deadpool is immortal and pined for by big titty goth Death

oh ok

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

So we've seen Farouk can interfere with Switch's time travel powers such as when he met her, and was that the Yellow King lurking in the time travel hall in ep 1? Is it possible he discovered baby David by following Switch and adult David back in time?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I dunno I watched all of Legion and Fargo week by week and enjoyed them all just fine

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Yeah I got the distinct impression we haven't seen the last of the past. I imagine we'll be getting the aftermath of Xavier's return home and some more of Xavier vs Farouk

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

why the gently caress would you skip eps on a first watch, because some guide told you to? watch the fuckin eps and make up your own mind god drat

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Rocksicles posted:

I thought it was a brilliant episode. Even Especially the sepia postcard action movie.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I don't know why Switch went with him so easily though. Going to assume that David planted a trigger inside of her to get her to do whatever he says later.

I read the song at the end as David psychically forcing Switch to help him. Last time he wanted to go back she was refusing and he was threatening to force her. Song and dance have been used to represent psychic control/battles in the show before, and after the song he just assumes she's willing, and she raises no objection.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

What if he can't fix it?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Corte posted:

I think that's a bit of a stretch. Just because you have examples of powers being used during musical numbers does not necessarily mean that all musical numbers are meant to symbolize use of powers. I don't think the musical number at the end of the latest episode was meant to signify David using his power. I think it was a device used to allow the viewer to reflect on themes of the show and see how far all the character's have come.

So why is Switch suddenly co-operative when previously she was refusing?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Corte posted:

I didn't interpret their interaction as her refusing David, she certainly was questioning him about how he felt about murdering most of Division 3.

I wasn't referring to that, I meant in the time demon episode when he was saying (paraphrasing) "we have to go back again!" and she was saying "no I can't it's too much", he says "do I have to force you?" before they're interrupted by the demons.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Navid Negahban was (as always) awesome too. I really enjoyed the more jovial Farouk and especially the rattled Farouk. Really all the acting on this show is consistently good and I feel like the actors are all really into their roles and enjoying themselves.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

or he was just lying, which would explain why charles-era farouk looks younger than david-era farouk and also provides a more reasonable timeframe for his personal growth instead of 2000 yo psychic parasite suddenly discovers the power of love

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

IUG posted:

Kindof hosed up for Switch to say that everyone in that room mattered, and not say Kari/Carrie's name.

I thought that was due to the temporal fuckery of them sharing a body. They did it to confuse the time demons, maybe switch couldn’t see them or something