Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I honestly don't know where the show is going and that's one of my favourite things about it. I agree there's been a pretty liberal use of flashbacks but it hasn't felt egregious yet. Part of me hopes that Melanie has some agency in the end and isn't a complete puppet but I think I'd be fine is that's the case. I really liked the cold open of future David on his throne, definitely felt like something pulled from the comics. Aubrey Plaza continues to kill it and I'm so glad she's corporeal again, I loved the "big payback" line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

So I've watched the finale twice now and I'm still trying to digest everything. If we take Chapter Ten at face value is David becoming the version we see at the start of episode ten inevitable? I'll be sad if that's the last we see of Jermaine Clement but at least we got what we did. Where did Chapter Eleven go?! I agree with the consensus that there were a lot of loose threads left dangling and I'm not convinced they'll necessarily follow up on all of them next season. The opening scene kicked all sorts of rear end and set pieces like that might be my favourite part of season two.

I understand that what David did to Syd is unforgivable but I can see how given that he's mentally unstable he could convince himself he wasn't doing something wrong or that it wasn't as bad as it was. I'm curious how much of this is his psychosis and how much is a delusion encouraged/planted by Farouk either through manipulating others or maybe directly? I guess the want to keep that ambiguous. Farouk was clearly trying to manipulate Syd into believing that it was inevitable that David would become to villain. Up to the point where David stole her memories I don't think anything he did was unforgivable or irredeemable. He seemed able to identify that a part of him would revel in killing Farouk and maybe recognized it could lead down a dark path, he did seem to struggle with it in the scene with Cary.

I like to think that there is a middle-ground to be had which leaves open the possibility of redemption for David if he gets the help he needs because I don't find a storyline with an inevitable conclusion as engaging. I'm hoping for a season where Lenny and him go on a bizarre road trip that introduces a host of new personalities while Divsion 3 ineptly hunts them, maybe some heavy Looney Tunes references.

I must say I love that the show makes me uncomfortable and question things, haven't felt this engaged with a work in a long time.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Love the show, glad it's back. Great musical number! I think Switch is a great addition and introduces new possibilities which is exciting. I thought having David throw Farouk in that room was a nice touch, did a good job of showing the power level difference.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

AnEdgelord posted:

I thought that he got thrown in that room by a pair of David's groupies that jumped him?

You clearly work for the forces of division. Yes the Magic Man's true believers assisted in pushing him into the room but you can see the door shut on its own and I think it's implied David is able to contain Farouk until he bursts out.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

JazzFlight posted:

I'm feeling a bit iffy on this second episode. I don't like watching the show as much when all the characters are bad people. I liked the introduction of Switch in the premiere because she's a fresh innocent, but the second episode didn't feature her as much so we're back to characters manipulating one another. I just want to feel like I'm on at least one person's side instead of feeling gross when David or Farouk brainwashes someone.

How are all the characters bad people? Cary is a goddamn treasure. I enjoyed the second episode but not as much as the first, there was a lot of setup. I'm interested to see where Lenny's path leads. I would like to see another scene between the various Davids like the one in last season.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

DaveKap posted:

Whether he's being direct with his powers or passive by using as little of his power as possible for fun, I'd still consider the entire Division 3 group to be acting under false pretenses Farouk set up for them.

Farouk is still the 2,000 year old Shadow King who they are allowing to hang around purely because they believe, with extremely thin proof and extremely thick Farouk suggestion, David might end the world. Even if you thought you'd need this extreme shield to combat an extreme sword, you'd still put it under lock and key until you needed it, not let it chill out wherever it pleased.

The two times they managed to kill David, Farouk wasn't even necessary to have around. That sorta already proves how pointless it is to let him be as free as they have.

That's quite the leap given the show seems to specifically be trying to blur the lines and leave it to the viewer to interpret or answer later. I can't recall any point where the show explicitly states that anyone is under Farouk's control in the present. I think the closest we get is him manipulating Syd into thinking that David has already turned villain but it's still not clear if any psychic powers were involved. I honestly don't think there was for a couple reasons:
1. I think Farouk is smart enough to know he might get caught if he blatantly uses his powers to manipulate her and why take the chance if it's not necessary
2. I think Farouk would find it more gratifying to pull the puppet strings simply with his words, speaks to the gamesmanship someone else noted

I can understand getting frustrated with the blurred lines and not having a clear protagonist/antagonist dynamic but I feel like you might be mistaking that for poor writing which i don't think is fair.

Another thing to remember is that there is no evidence Farouk is that old outside of him telling us that he is. I believe Division 3 stated they have evidence of him in the 18th century? If I recall they even remark on how legends grow and it's unlikely he's some ancient powerful entity.

The two times they managed to kill David the Shadow King was there, just because he didn't land the killing blow doesn't mean he wasn't needed. In fact the second instance he is the distraction that allows Syd to get the shot.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Ersatz posted:

Didn't season 2's finale explicitly show Farouk's rats scurrying around division 3 planting suggestions? It's not a stretch to see the entire organization as hopelessly compromised, with Farouk continuing to pull strings.

Here are the scenes after David confronts Farouk in his cell:
- Baskethead is looking at cameras and sees Syd having psychic sex stating she loves David
- Cary recreates the scene and sees David mess with Syd's memories stating "it's treachery"
- There is a short on Farouk's crown which allows him to whisper a message to a rodent
- David is telepathically watching over Syd then fades away, rodent climbs up and shares Farouk's message
- Title card: Chapter Twelve: Trial of the Shadow King
In the end what is the sound of truth?
Waves on a beach, the laugh of a child.
Or perhaps there are competing truths.
The truth of the mind, the truth of the heart.
If all the apples are bruised, it is the unbruised apple that is bad,
the sane man who’s crazy.
For what is normal is that upon which nine wise men can agree,
leaving the tenth to swing from a hangman’s rope.

I think that's vague enough that it's not clear what exactly Farouk did and whether it was psychic manipulation or just informing Syd of the facts. I think given the rest of the show anything is possible. Honestly it's part of what I love about Legion, it's not a static or binary, but I can see how that may not be everyone's cup of tea.

One thing I noticed in David's house was the use of nests as furniture or bedding for his followers which I thought was a nice touch given the theme of delusions and eggs from last season.

Levin fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 3, 2019

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

So I went back and watched a few parts of season 2 to get a better handle on the discussion. Something I think that isn't being discussed or noted is that David did not think he was raping Syd. I'm not saying this justifies or excuses his actions. Reviewing the scene where he uses his powers on Syd my interpretation is that he removed her memories of her interactions with Melanie that he believed was manipulation from Farouk causing her to turn on him. It's possible I'm mistaken and David's psychic manipulation went further. Assuming this he believed he was just reverting her back to the "real Syd" before she was twisted by the Shadow King. I guess I'm just trying to point out that perhaps intention should matter when considering the subject.

Again I am not condoning or suggesting his actions were in any way acceptable. It doesn't make what he did any less heinous but if the intention wasn't to cause harm or commit wrong is he inherently evil and irredeemable? I think this is important because as many have pointed out if that is the case he becomes a less interesting and more limited character. I also think it doesn't make sense from a development perspective as some have pointed out as it's quite jarring if that scene or event was the no turning back point. I think the intention was for that to be one of the first steps down a dark path, "the road to hell is paved with good intentions", which lead to him ending the world.

I'm with most of you in that I would have preferred they'd done something different or handled the subject better as it's clearly divisive and tainted the show for some which is a shame.

Some random thoughts having gone back a bit:
- Episode 6 of season 2 still rules and the ending sequence with the Superman cover is amazing
- Wasn't there a bit where Amy Haller appeared as a ghost to Lenny to make her be good or help David? Was that resolved? If not it could be interesting if she made an appearance this season.
- Was there any ever discussion of Oliver's riddle about Farouk's weakness: "what does one plus one equal?" - my guess is that it refers to the power of connection between people, specifically Syd and David, which Farouk isn't capable of given his belief that he is above everyone else
- I love the scene between Lenny and Kerry in episode 10:
"Nah I'm supposed to wait here"
"For what?"
"The big payback" *poo poo eating grin*
- Has "the choke" come up since season 2? I think it's an interesting plot device that they could probably get another good scene out of.
- Any theories on the timeline shenanigans? As I understand it Older Syd originally comes from a future where Farouk is killed and David eventually ends the world. Are we still in the same timeline? I suppose David could still kill Farouk. Something disappointing about this plot line is that it assumes David will inevitably end the world which is limiting.
- When did David's other personalities first appear? If I recall it was some time in season 2 when you hear them talking in his head. I'm curious what the catalyst was to bring them into existence or if they always existed why they were dormant until then. I guess Farouk could have suppressed or created them?

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

AnEdgelord posted:

David talked to his "rational mind" towards the end of season one so its been an element for a while.

That's right! Oh man, it's been too long since I've watched season one, I loved that sequence!

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

DaveKap posted:

That's exactly what I feel like they're just never going to go back and reconcile. The way I perceived it, he was reversing brainwashing. That's how he perceived it as well. The fact nobody else in the show perceives it that way is what bugs me most and nobody is going to probably ever talk about it because sexual assault is such an awful piece of subject matter to use as a plot point, especially if it's a question of whether it actually happened or if it's literally a brainwasher's lie. If it happened, that's hosed up. If it's a brainwasher manipulating someone into thinking it's what happened, that's hosed up. It's awful either way. I bet it seemed real interesting in the writer's room but it massively fucks up conversations about anyone's intentions in this show.

Personally I don't think Farouk brainwashed Syd in the strictest sense of the word, meaning he didn't psychically manipulate her. Reflecting on it I think one of the main goals of the Shadow King in season 2 was to push David into crossing the line he did. There is the scene where Farouk states that he and David are gods able to create or shape the reality they live in. To Farouk everything is permitted because he is superior to everyone else and he wanted to get David on the same page. Assuming that we do get some progression throughout the season of David being willing to compromise his morals or beliefs for a greater goal, ends justifying the means. Where it gets confusing or messy is that it all started because of him being abducted for a year and manipulated by Future Syd... My hope is that it doesn't end up that she is from the same timeline because if she is then I can't really make sense of it.

Levin fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 6, 2019

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Ersatz posted:

Borderline personality disorder and schizophrenia are different conditions. She's definitely not borderline.

As for the robots, I don't think that she meant it literally when she told Farouk that she's helping David because David is a man and Farouk is a robot. I took it as her way of telling Farouk that he's a soulless monster, and David, despite his many and obvious flaws, is not.

Daddy issues? Definitely.

I think they were using borderline to mean she is bordering on schizophrenia. I'm not agreeing with the diagnosis just clarifying. Excited for today's episode, I'm hoping we get to know more about Switch and her motivations as I'm worried about her just being used as a plot device.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

DaveKap posted:

One more thing to note, apparently Melanie's actress hasn't even been cast in this season. So, uh.... yeah.... that's a thing.

They wrote out Melanie and Oliver last season in the finale. They are living it up in the cube and no longer concern themselves with the petty squabbles of the world outside.

Generally a disappointing episode. I enjoyed the performances from David's parents but agree it feels like it didn't necessarily require 1/8th of the final season.

So we got the story of how his parents met which had some nice parallels and sweet moments but glaring questions as well. The other thing we got is David and Switch's attempt to go back in time and change things which either was what caused the issue in the first place or failed to change anything. I would have liked to seen the rest of the story up to when David is given away, maybe they'll get to it before the end.

I wonder if this was actually a budget bottle episode of sorts given the majority of the cast doesn't appear.

Levin fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 13, 2019

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

He's a 2000 year old brain wizard. There's not much that he's likely to be too worked up by and is likely playing with the god boy who can break reality this whole time because literally wtf else are you gonna do all day at that point? He's probably already done the cult of drugs and hot chicks thing in every place and time where both were available since the invention of freak. Sure everyone else is worried that time is being eaten by demons but to him it's Tuesday #9857 with blue ones this time and he just wants to get back to having some fun.

Just a friendly reminder that there is no evidence of how old he is and I'm not sure I'd take his word. I believe someone from Division 3 dated him back to the 18th century. I personally don't think he's 2000 years old as I feel like he would have easily been able to control the world in that era and likely would have been a god emperor by the time the events of Legion happen.

That said your general point about him toying with everyone and playing games is certainly valid. I reckon even after 200 years without anyone to challenge you or compete on your level you get bored and need to find new ways to amuse yourself. I don't think he has the level of control you're suggesting though.

I loved the episode, definitely some hallmarks from past great episodes with the creative directing, visual elements and music sequences.

I think Lenny's arc might have hit me the hardest. On the one hand she only got to see snippets of her child's life but what was shown seemed to be a healthy and beautiful relationship. I loved Lenny refusing to be sedated and acknowledging her need to feel the pain of the loss. I think an interesting direction to take would be to have her realize this proves she can be a good person and leads to her changing.

I thought David's speech to Lenny was pretty great too: "I'm gonna fix this, whatever it takes, whatever the universe throws at me, Division 3, time demons, send them all, I'll slay 'em all, 'cause this is my time, this is David's time and he's got things to do so...". It was a good example of him unraveling and losing control, the follow up later in the episode was great too. I would like it if they delved more deeply into his personalities as I thought the scene in the last finale was very informative and interesting.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Loved the episode start to finish. I think whoever pointed out how great the subtlety they use to express Farouk and David's powers was spot on. The first scene with David and the bus was a good example of this.

I enjoyed Lenny's exit, I'm glad there was a payoff from the last episode. I thought it was a great counterpoint to David's "we'll just go back in time and fix everything" argument. Lenny was finally able to find something good and she refused to let him erase it. I agree with whoever noted that they failed to follow up on David's sister being inside her still which is a shame, maybe they couldn't get the actor who played her to come back?

I thought they wrapped up Clark's arc really well and kudos to that actor. I remember thinking he was great in the first episode then forgetting about him only to have him come back in the season one finale with a great backstory but I figured he's probably not going to be relevant going forward but nope Division 3 team up and he's been killing it ever since. I could listen to him sarcastically pick apart other people's lies all day.

They continue to kill it with their song selection and musical numbers. The last scene reminded me of a similar one in a UK series called Skins where one of the leads sings Wild World by Cat Stevens at the end of the finale.

DaveKap posted:

I loved the episode. Considering I'm the guy complaining about Farouk tricking Syd, it was nice to hear her admit that she finally understood how hosed the situation was. Too bad David's too far into his time travel plan to forgive.

Seeing as how David's personality is now officially split into Legion (despite the fact it's probably been that way his whole life) the only good end I can see is one where his personalities are merged back into a singular, innocent David at the cost of his power. I actually wouldn't be too surprised if that Pokeball was, in fact, grabbing the most lucid and singular David from the end of Season 1 to fight the final form of Legion. My only problem then would be... what happened to this guy?

I appreciate your contributions to the thread as it has made me consider angles and theories I otherwise might not have. I had a different interpretation of the interaction between Syd and David. I believe she was telling him what he wanted to hear so she could get close enough to touch him and switch bodies. The reason I believe this to be the case is her calm reaction when David tells her Farouk betrayed them: "he didn't like our plan". I don't think Syd has ever trusted Farouk just saw him as a necessary evil to combat David and prevent the end of the world. That doesn't mean there wasn't truth in her words but I don't think it's exactly what she believes.

Remember we don't know if we're still in that timeline or if Future Syd was able to change things or if that's even what she meant to do? Farouk is still alive so if we take Future Syd at her word they haven't reached her time period yet or are on a different track. I think your theory on how they could potentially end the series has merit and I wouldn't mind if they went that route but I think there are a number of ways they could choose to go. We have three episodes left right? Given it's Legion a whole lot could still happen.

Levin fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 25, 2019

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Zachack posted:

But that box already opened in the first episode of the season when Switch undid David's death. Syd is already erased. So is David. Time travel and souls don't really mesh. So if Switch went back in time to the last 15 minutes of season 2 and kicked David in the nuts then from David and Syds perspective everything would be fine and David would still be with the Syd he knows.

I don't think they were referring to the concept of a soul or how it would be affected, simply that the current Syd as she exists now would be erased and replaced with a new version based on whatever changes David makes. If David goes back and does something that fundamentally changes the timeline so he no longer goes to Clockworks they will never meet and fall in love. Also I don't think we got her exact feelings or thoughts on the subject as she was sweet talking David to get close enough to touch him.

I'm really enjoying this thread of the story as I think it touches on something commonly experienced which is regret and a desire for a second chance. The difference is David is a traumatized schizophrenic with the power to actually make it happen. If you were given the chance to have a "do over" would you take it knowing the consequences? You would no longer be you. I don't want to conflate but would you be committing suicide in essence?

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

DaveKap posted:

Oh, no, don't get me wrong here. I know she was sweet talking him. She likely doesn't believe what she's saying to him but what she's saying to him is what actually happened. As show watchers, we have definitive proof that a manipulated Melanie bent the truth and context of situations in order to control Syd and convince her of incorrect information. Just hearing her admit it feels nice to me, as a viewer, so I know the show writers understand what they've set up so that we, along with David, can feel the sympathy with the primary difference between the viewer and David being that the viewer knows it's deception while the foregone David does not. In the end, it's actually loving crazy to me that they pulled this off the way they did. I still think it's gross that rape had to be involved to get to this place but at least it wasn't left on the cutting room floor as "a mistake the previous writers made." It really feels like they're going to tie everything (within reason... I'm looking at you, stupid Minotaur cave) up in these last episodes, even David's sister in Lenny's body is likely getting a payoff. (Nobody seemed to mention it but did ya'll notice she's merging with that tree she's dead on? Remind anyone of what Ptonomy went through?) I'm certainly more hopeful now than I was when the season began.

I'm loving the optimism and understand what you meant. I think it's great on another level too in that Syd is self-aware of these events, I can't recall if there had ever been a previous scene where she showed recognition that she was manipulated in the cave. I guess she may not believe that still but I think it's more interesting if she recognizes the mistake and still stays on her path because stopping the end of the world is more important.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

rapeface posted:

I'm sold on the theory there was some unconcious manipulation of Syd the first time she met David. I thought it was a little weird that she seemed so quick to become so possessive/protective of him but I chalked it to loneliness/the style.

Same with Switch. I'm pretty set on every dance number representing psychic activity.
That's a cool thing I hadn't noticed. Though I think that's more like privilege or patriarchy or something to believe you know best and that your actions are always justified.

I have to disagree for the reasons DaveKap already listed. I would also add that the show has clearly shown Switch being manipulated by David whereas the same cannot be said for Syd. It would also cheapen the big build up around him wiping her memory at the end of season 2. The only way it would make sense is if it David did it unconsciously which I guess is possible. I wonder if I could relate this to the Jon Hamm bits from season 2 about how we perceive reality...

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I was a bit sceptical of the idea at the start, but the first episode of season 2, with the dance battle in the nightclub cemented it for me.

Even the final battle of wills at the end of the season was set to Blue Eyes.

The only time the show's ever used musical/dance numbers is when psychic fuckery is going on.

I think that's a bit of a stretch. Just because you have examples of powers being used during musical numbers does not necessarily mean that all musical numbers are meant to symbolize use of powers. I don't think the musical number at the end of the latest episode was meant to signify David using his power. I think it was a device used to allow the viewer to reflect on themes of the show and see how far all the character's have come.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Wafflecopper posted:

So why is Switch suddenly co-operative when previously she was refusing?

I'm not saying Switch isn't being influenced by David. There's the scene where he is preaching to his flock and sends out those good vibes, Switch is clearly affected by that. Otherwise I haven't seen anything to suggest David is controlling her directly. Keep in mind she came to him and clearly has her own motivations, it also just makes for a more interesting story. If you're saying the last scene was meant to show David exerting his power to control Switch I didn't read it that way. I didn't interpret their interaction as her refusing David, she certainly was questioning him about how he felt about murdering most of Division 3. I think the musical sequence was a creative device to bookend this arc of the season, reflect on how far the characters have come and lead us into the final stretch.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Wafflecopper posted:

I wasn't referring to that, I meant in the time demon episode when he was saying (paraphrasing) "we have to go back again!" and she was saying "no I can't it's too much", he says "do I have to force you?" before they're interrupted by the demons.
I would interpret that as him not having done so yet, I'm not saying he isn't capable or willing to and he's clearly become more unhinged since then.

Vernacular posted:

I think the musical sequences are most definitely Noah Hawley in part doing his thing and creating a weird Legion aesthetic, but these tropes of synchronization/choreography are just so prevalent and fit in too well with the show's overarching themes of power and control for us to outright shrug off the possibility that they directly signify psychic powers at work.

Also, just fyi David quite literally said something to the effect of "wake up my darling" before Switch emerged from that protective pod and relegated Farouk to the world beyond time. So yeah there's that, the druggy cult scene where she partakes in the blue stuff, the fact that she's "willing" to inflict self-harm to serve David's agenda, the bit where she appears as a wind-up robot...again, too much going on there to discount the possibility that David is just using his powers on her. Though I do agree that her backstory (with her time traveling dad and robot-phobia) is still a big question mark so who knows what's really going on with them (maybe Switch's pops is being trapped in time by the blue meanies beyond her powers, and David himself is being used to help him get free).

Nonetheless I do think the nature of being controlled directly via powers vs. indirectly via personal insecurities being taken advantage of etc. is one of the show's central contrasts, so yeah they're also being purposefully ambiguous about it at times. Like Farouk could very well be manipulating Division 3 through his powers, but he's also leveraging their very understandable fear of David in a strategic fashion. Lenny was mind-controlled on a couple occasions, but was also kind of indebted to David for rescuing her from Division 3. Etc, etc.
I'm not arguing that Switch isn't under David's influence just that I don't think the final scene was meant to symbolize him manipulating her but I could be mistaken. I agree with your point about control and also would add that it's about what you would do if you had David's problems and power.

scary ghost dog posted:

idk if any of u have caught the extremely subtle drug use allegories and metaphors that are sprinkled very sparingly throughout the show, but imo, they point towards a theme of addiction, not abuse
It's almost like the show could have multiple themes and address more than one particular subject... but that's just ridiculous.

JossiRossi posted:

I think the choice of David singing Peace Love and Understanding when Switch was clearly uncomfortable with the idea of another big time jump was him stating how he wants everyone around David to treat him, and Switch being gungho to go after the song I think is pretty supportive of this
It's possible but I don't see it like that, she didn't appear any different to me after the song. She was still hesitant and nervous about going through with what David was asking. Keep in mind Switch came to David's cult of her own free will and saved his life multiple times before he could ever exert control over her. Even in the latest episode she helped send a phased out Farouk to the time between time.

I go back to what DaveKap stressed which is that if you choose to believe these characters have no, or little, agency and are directly under David's or Farouk's influence the story is far less interesting.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

ashpanash posted:

Falling in love with a manic pixie dream girl doesn't actually solve your deep seeded issues, cute as it may be.

Ahem, let me please direct you to Zach Braff's classic Garden State. Maybe Syd just isn't MPDG enough.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Shageletic posted:

Didn't David literally say "Don't make me force you-" before being interrupted a couple eps ago?

Wafflecopter brought this up and I suggested that could mean he hasn't forced her to do anything yet. Even if he isn't overtly or directly manipulating her with his powers he is still a charismatic leader that is influencing her.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

DaveKap posted:

The point I was trying to make was that the specific flip-flop Legion made was one that exploited its viewers. This is why you get posts like this:

Season 1 had a very positive and obvious theme. Abandoned and hunted people who were victims of their own birth came together against those who hunted them. The audience is brought in for something familiar but wild set against the mutant super powers that most of the mutants felt was a curse. It was great!

Season 2 had a very confusing theme. You had the pokeball, Farouk's body, future Syd, the Minotaur, the desert, the monk, chattering teeth, Division 3... in the end the whole thing felt like it was being weird for weird's sake and not because it had anything to say. But Season 2 ended with a specific point. The Season 1 "good guys" believed David raped Syd.

Again, before this scene happened, I never read anyone mention that they thought David was manipulating Syd in any way. Yet now that this scene is out there, the positive theme of Season 1 clashes with the themes of power, abuse, and manipulation in a way that, to some, could easily feel like an exploitation of the positive feelings one had for Season 1 of the show.
"Remember how you enjoyed this scene, audience member?"
https://i.imgur.com/hpshAQI.mp4
"David manipulated Syd into doing that! You never should have enjoyed that! Haw haw!"
In a way, it's brilliant. The show has exploited the viewer in the same way David may have exploited Syd. That's some solid immersion! In another way, that's how you lose enough viewers to have to cut your show down to a 3-season stint. (Was it always supposed to be 3 seasons? I actually don't know.) The flip flopped too hard and rubs people the wrong way. And in the end, I still have no idea if half the crazy poo poo that happened in Season 2 was for any good reason for anyone, be it characters in the show, how the show is perceived by an audience, or some long-term plot that's going to get snuffed 3 episodes from now.

Actually, since some of ya'll are rewatching older episodes, maybe you can help me out. What was the point of transforming David's sister? What was the point of the Minotuar's existence in the cave? I'm still hopeful we get an answer about that pokeball in the final episodes.

Even if I'm wrong about all this, I think this is a great discussion and at the very least have to credit the show for making it worth talking about.

Great post, I appreciate the amount of thought you put into it. I agree generally with your analysis and think it's a very fair criticism of the show. I personally felt season 2 was pretty good until the finale. Was it as well put together as season 1? Heck no! But to be fair I imagine season 1 was sold as a contained story, perhaps as a miniseries with little thought given to the possibility of subsequent seasons. Season 2 was definitely a bit of a mess at times but it still had a lot of great moments, incredible performances and interesting things to say I feel. I'm very curious about how the finale was written, weren't they given an extra episode? Was this tacked on or the plan all along? I'll also reiterate that I didn't have a problem with them choosing to go the route they did but do feel it was executed poorly and clearly alienated a lot of the audience.

With regards to David's sister I feel that if they had not introduced Ghost Amy I would have been fine with it ending with her becoming Lenny. I feel the show did a reasonable job of justifying the action behind it. Farouk was testing an experimental device that would allow him to transfer himself into a new body. It also acted as a way of provoking David, it follows up on his speech regarding them being Gods and reality being what they make it. But then they did Ghost Amy and yeah, what the gently caress?

I always got the impression that the Minotaur and the maze were extensions of either the Shadow King or existed as a part of the ever-changing desert where his body was. Either way they were clearly under his control and felt like devices to symbolize him using his powers to control or manipulate others. It also was probably a follow up to the yellow-eyed monster haunting David in season one too.

I don't know, I'm fine with weird poo poo coming up that isn't necessarily explained or fully delved into. For example why did a seemingly endless number of monks with bizarre sling-like sonic weapons come out of a giant sink drain in the desert? Because we need a reason to watch Kerry kick some rear end and that's fine by me, in moderation not at the expense of the story etc...

I'm pretty pumped for the final stretch, can't stop listening to their cover of Peace, Love and Understanding. Anyone who says there is no one to root for can go gently caress themselves, I'm sending out all my good vibes to get a happy ending for Cary/Kerry.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

loving amazing episode, I had sworn that we wouldn't see Oliver or Melanie again and couldn't be happier to eat my own words. I'm going to be inconsolable once the series is done. I can't think of anything that is nearly as imaginative or fun as this show can be at its peaks. I have faith that they can land this and give us a satisfying ending but regardless I've loved the journey.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Brilliant, thanks for sharing. I definitely loved the use of that song as a David's telepathic defense. I'm curious if the people shown in David's head are actual minds like the ones trapped inside that girl Xavier reads. Another great episode, a lot to wrap up but I'm keeping faith that they'll stick the landing.

I really liked Charles challenging David on his objectification of Switch. Poor Switch, I hope she gets a good resolution. I thought New Syd chopping wood was a great way to build on Oliver and Melanie having her build the stone wall so she would know how to work hard.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

jerry seinfel posted:

It's definitely heading that way, which means it's instead going to be a musical number where Syd takes both of the Farouk's powers and recreates reality with love

Sold, I'll now be disappointed if it's anything else, maybe splash in some Evangelion with everyone clapping for Syd

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

So did Farouk take peoples minds and shove them in that monkey and little girl? I wonder if that is something that increases his power or he just likes keeping them around to torture them.

He's definitely used other people's minds and bodies previously for survival and sadism. That's why I was curious about the flash of David's mind we see where it's the cult house and his followers are partying. I think it's possible he's crammed a ton of minds into his head to stifle Farouk's attempts to read him but could be wrong.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Was flipping through some old episodes to reminisce and stumbled upon the conversation where Oliver says he's going to kill Farouk and gives him the riddle. I'm pretty sure one plus one is meant to symbolize connection and the strength of bonds which Farouk is unwilling or incapable of making. I love that Oliver and Melanie got to essentially be fairy godparents for Syd.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

DaveKap posted:

This series finale was bad.

And I loved it.

This was a bad series finale and I'm glad it was because in the end, it still accomplished the one thing Legion has always been good at. Subverting expectations. *Cue circus music*

Goodbye Legion. It's been a trip!

Well put. I loved the finale and show as a whole, if anyone has any recommendations for similar works to fill the black hole in my heart that Legion has left it would be greatly appreciated. I hope they release the covers for season 3 soon.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

DaveKap posted:

It depends entirely on what it is you liked about Legion.

Time travel? Netflix's German series "Dark" (Season 2 just aired, filming for final season happening now)
Purely entertaining but poorly paced? Preacher (Final season, 4, airing now)
Weird poo poo? Twin Peaks Season 3 (Likely the last time Lynch will work on television but we can all hope it's not)
Something that had a cohesive and amazing first season then had it all fall apart in a frustrating way? Mr. Robot (Final season, 4, airing this year [honestly just watch season 1 if you want a solidly good block of television])
A dramatic show with dark themes circling around people with super powers as a Harry Potter parody? The Magicians (ongoing but current season's finale actually felt like a series finale so binging the whole thing now works great [also note that this one starts weak but gets stronger over time])
A dramatic show with dark themes circling around people with super powers as a DC/Marvel parody? The Boys (Season 1 recently released, S2 apparently mid-filming right now)
Something that's just straight up dramatic and strange but without dabbling in fantasy or sci-fi? Patriot. (Cancelled after Season 2, no if it ends on a cliffhanger because I haven't finished it)

And if you're looking for the good cinematography, acting, and directing that Legion had, most of these fit that bill, so go hog wild!

Good point and thanks for the suggestions. It's hard to pin down given I loved almost everything about Legion. I suppose what I appreciated the most was how thought provoking it could be and how much it connected with me on an emotional level. Another thing that definitely sticks out is how great and fitting the music selections were. Thanks to whoever linked the interview to the music supervisor, that was a good read.

Levin fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 15, 2019

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

DaveKap posted:

That's next to impossible to suggest for, all things considered, but out of everything I suggested I'll say Magicians was the only one to make me emotional so that's my highest rec.

Thinking about it you're right since what connects with me emotionally won't necessarily resonate with others and what I find thought provoking someone else might find cliche or banal. I knew it was a tall order when I asked but thanks for trying, I'll definitely check out Magicians.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Accidental double post :(

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

AtraMorS posted:

Did anybody suggest Maniac on Netflix? It has a similar kind of style, especially how they mix together technology props from a lot of different eras and treat them all like it's the most advanced poo poo on the planet. There's also some similar subject matter because a lot of it's about a mentally ill character.

It does have a little more style than substance, but I still enjoyed it a lot.

That's a great suggestion! Too bad I've already seen it but I definitely can see the parallels and think it's the closest to the mark so far. I'm not saying it was perfect but it definitely hit some of the same notes for me as Legion

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

here's a secret: I actually like johnny the homicidal maniac and invader zim. I think jhonen vasquez is talented and funny.

i can never admit that in public because i'll get some absolute waste screaming "TACOS" within five seconds.

Hahaha I totally get what you mean. I'm excited for the new Netflix movie!

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I think the main point was that a child who grows up in a healthy environment with proper support is likely to turn out different than one who does not. Something that sortof bothered me was the belief that certain people were beyond redemption or saving like Syd's sister in her second childhood or David, I think it's a fair stance to take and might be true but I can't accept that personally.

I'm with those that would have enjoyed seeing a glimpse of the new timeline but am fine with them ending it the way they did. I also agree that it felt like an oversight for Switch to not mention the Loudermilks. One justification I came up with is that they had led fulfilling lives and were content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

HardKase posted:

It wasn't that they were beyond redemption, but rather didn't want to be saved. That could change in the future but it's impossible to save someone who doesn't want it.

I appreciate your perspective and that's definitely a better way to look at it but I'm pretty sure they specifically state at some point that David can't be saved.

I'm going back through season one now and I have to admit it does feel tonally different, you can argue that of course the tone will change over the course of a show but it's a pretty stark contrast. I had almost forgotten how sweet and endearing it could be at times, really enjoying watching the romance between Syd and David unfold again.