Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

When David is getting interviewed by the man in the brown suit the guy has a distinctly high tech tablet computer that looks like a folder.

Yeah for a while I was kind of thinking that it might be set in the 70s or some poo poo, but that high tech tablet made me think modern day.

BJPaskoff posted:

Is this a one-season series, or is there a plan to keep it going forever? I read somewhere that it plans to tie into the cinematic universe with maybe a cameo by Professor X, but the Fargo talk has me thinking it's a 8-12 hour movie and it'll have a satisfying ending. I don't have the endurance to watch a show that goes on and on and on way past where it should stop, especially when it starts out this good.

Honestly I don't think it matters in this story. X-Men Movie Verse is pretty drat convoluted anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Mulva posted:

He's one of the least likely characters to ever get a tv show in the entire X-Men universe, because literally every moment of his existence is a ridiculous mindfuck. Like you can't have his super power and ever truly be sane and human. You get to choose one, and that's it. And I don't know how you convey even a fraction of that while keeping people invested, but it should be fun to see at least.

The producer said he sees the story as one long movie rather than 8 or 12 individual episodes so I imagine it'll be better to watch in one sitting via streaming or DVD.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Invalid Validation posted:

I read the wiki a while ago for Legion, doesn't David have multiple personalities with different powers?

In the most recent run of Legion comics, he actually managed to de-power himself and achieve some level of stability, but that's only because he spends so much energy containing the demons within. Then Cyclops straight up murders Xavier and that kind of mindfucks him.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I don't know if I go so far as to say "it was all a dream" but there are two things that stick out to me that don't really make "sense" in this world:

Lenny really could well be a figment of David's imagination. I don't want to go so far as to say the scenes Lenny is in are fake, but maybe just the character. Maybe she's covering up something else. There's just something really off about her character.

The guy at the end of the first episode who was Force Pushing people away. I don't know why, but that "power" really seems out of place in this universe. Most powers that we've seen have been destructive, or the people who use them don't have control. This guy seems to have way too much control over his power.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

nawcom posted:

I'm looking through all the bad reviews out of curiosity. They seem to consist of:

- It's confusing and even by episode 3 I still don't understand the plot which makes it boring.
- It's difficult to follow.
- Jumpy storyline. No structure.
- It's pretentious. Trying to be like Kubrick.

I dunno, sounds like people expected something somewhat similar to a typical Marvel superhero plot line and structure. Personally I would've rated this show lower if it ended up as one so I'm glad it went in this direction. I'm also a fan of Kubrick/Refn/Lynch so the style is up my ally. I personally enjoyed Hannibal season 3 which people made similar complaints about, so I guess I'm the "pretentious" type

Almost all of the media outlet/professional reviews I've read are positive. Who is writing negative reviews besides random social media people?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Grinning Goblin posted:

The comic storylines involving Legion are dumb and bad. Avoid them at all costs because at best, they are going to give away mild spoilers about the show so far.

While I haven't read a lot of Legion comics (and reading all of Claremont's 20+ year run is probably nearly impossible) , the recent X-Men Legacy: Legion by Simon Spurrier is a really good series. Even though it is connected to the larger Marvel Universe, it is mainly doing its own thing. I can't say the show is taking much from that run since Legion is a clearly established character in the Marvel Universe and that series gives him some level of control over his power.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Help Im watching both this and twin peaks and now I think Im schizophrenic

I just finished Twin Peaks last night. It drags a lot in the middle of season 2 but ends strong.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

whowhatwhere posted:

I don't think focusing on the Demon with Yellow Eyes effect that clearly in that bright a room for that long was a good idea though. Thing looked really loving derpy.

Also Syd has consistently been the worst-written part of the show but this episode was just cringeworthy. "He's my man"? Really show? Like even if you're going to go for the "she's at the same cognitive level as a puppy because now she can have sex" thing at least have a better line to sell it.

I think Syd's talk of "He's my man" is because she's seriously infatuated with Legion, or possibly being subtly mind controlled (they're dressing alike in the first half of last week's episode). As we get later into the episode, her speech and body language changes a lot to show she's kind of snapped out of whatever voodoo got a hold of her earlier.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I think Hulu gets some shows while the season airs because they are owned by some of the same owners who own cable/network outlets. In contrast, Netflix is its own venture and giving them shows as-they-air would probably create competition for ABC or Fox's lovely streaming services.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

So...what exactly are Walter's powers? Is he a teleporter? When one of the mutants with the resistance is shooting at him, he doesn't seem to be concerned about bullets at all. He also seems to take the place of the Force Push mutant in last week's episode in a bit of static.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

Force Push / Door Flinger / Rudy is shown going upstairs and wandering off away from the room Lenny's in. Cary pushes in the door with Ptolemy and Melanie on edge, then they chat, and leave the door open for Walter to wander in at his leisure, he takes on Rudy's appearance before going into the room with Lenny. Walter's able to project an image of someone else, did the same thing with doctor in a previous episode, he's just mimicking Rudy because he wasn't in the room.

That makes a bit more sense. I just re-watched last week's episode last night but maybe I need to watch Walter's scenes again.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Chokes McGee posted:

Also I was rooting for The Eye to be a mercenary so he could be reintegrated into the team but uh. I don't think I want that anymore :stare:

I'm wondering if Walter "remembers" more than what he's letting on. Why else would he start stalking Karrie again?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

I'm saying yes she's great there, but as someone whose watched all 7 season 2-3 times, she is almost defined by her reserved mannerism and monotone delivery. We get the teeeeeeensiest little glimpses of her behind the mask like a handful of times at the end, and a bunch of haughty teen angst stuff up front when she starts dating Andy... but we get more expression and range from her in the first episode of Legion than we get from, literally the entire run of parks & Rec, that's why I'm so into her character here.

Parks and Rec is great but particularly for the cast who had been there since the beginning, a lot of the storylines are retreads. How many times did they do "April is maturing and wanting to become X"?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

screech on the beach posted:

Oh poo poo, I missed the scene. What happened?

David gets abducted by some weird rear end Pokeball like technology.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I'm kind of glad that they didn't end the Shadow King story. Plaza is so great in the role, but removing him for a while we'll get to see what David is really like without a parasite loving with him.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

anothergod posted:

Haha. Has Marvel ever cast an Asian person in any of their leading roles?

Daisy and May in AOS. Though I guess you could argue that is an ensemble cast.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I vaguely remember The Office improving in its very last season, but I didn't care enough on my recent re-watch. I stopped after Scott left.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I now really want a restaurant where my food is delivered via boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Only watched the first episode but I have a question on Switch. Is she speaking different languages like Farouke? I know I could hear some Japanese, but when the sub titles said "robot", I did not hear "Robotto" when she spoke.