Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
"There’s, whatever, 9,000 superhero stories right now. They’ve got all the running and kicking covered. I think my goal with this is to do something whimsical and imaginative and unexpected. Not just because I want to do something different, but because it feels like the right way to tell this story.

"We’ve got the time, right? It’s not a two-hour movie. It’s an 8- or a 10- or a 12-hour movie. Let’s tell the parts of the story that you couldn’t tell on the big screen. What is it really like to hear voices or to be able to move things with your mind or to think you can move things with your mind, but you’ve been hospitalized and they’ve been talking you out of the idea that you can actually move things with your mind. If there’s one thing that television doesn’t really do, and has never really done, is to tell a surreal story."

That's Noah Hawley, the dude who put UFOs in a motherfucking Fargo adaptation and somehow made it work, explaining his approach to the X-Men spinoff he was developing at the time Vanity Fair interviewed him. And in his defense -- not that he needs one at this point, given that he's one of the most exciting storytellers working today -- most comic book nerds will tell you that he's probably right.

Legion is the name given to David Haller (Dan Stevens, Downton Abbey, The Guest). As a young man, he was diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic and committed to a mental asylum. As an adult, he bonds with Syd Barrett (Rachel Keller, who played Simone Gerhardt in season 2 of Fargo), a young woman who cannot be touched. Together, they come to realize that they may, in fact, be powerful mutants.

That's the basic gist of it. The show also stars Aubrey Plaza as David's best friend Lenny, and Jean Smart -- another Fargo S2 alum -- as a therapist working with David. Reviews can tell you more, but it sounds like this is a show best discovered tabula rasa given that they all say poo poo like:

Alan Sepinwall, for Uproxx, posted:

Legion is so strange, so idiosyncratic, so outside the norms of anything we’ve come to expect from modern comic book adaptations, on the big screen or small, that it was hard not to wonder if I was just imagining the whole thing, or if it was an elaborate, expensive prank perpetrated by FX and Fargo creator Noah Hawley...

Maureen Ryan, for Variety, posted:

...offers a jittery take on many of the genre’s familiar themes, and it hurls them together with such boldness that the entire concoction ends up carrying quite a kick...it won’t be for everyone, but those who are pulled into the surreal, jagged orbit of this distinctive drama are likely to stay there for the full eight-episode run. It is, literally and figuratively, a trip — and it’s often an exhilarating one.

Todd VanDerWerff, for Vox, posted:

Every time I thought I had Legion figured out, Hawley would jet off in some new direction.

Danette Chavez, for The AV Club, posted:

David might be the most powerful mutant, or he might be a young man with a mental illness. Though the evidence leans in one direction more than the other, viewers shouldn’t get too comfortable with what they think they’ve seen or heard. Hawley’s mind is playing tricks on us. The sonic layers made up by the soundtrack, voiceovers, and dialogue are as disorienting to the viewer as David; try to filter one out to understand the other, and you could miss out on something important.

So yeah, doesn't seem like Hawley's loving around on this one, and judging by the 100% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes (at least at the time of this writing), seems like it's working for him. So who am I to get in the way of that?

Legion premieres tonight at 10 ET on FX.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

oliwan posted:

I put Fargo season two in the absolutely top tier of TV together with the wire, the sopranos and mad men. It's unreal how good it is.

Remember when Noah Hawley opened up the finale with an unexpected Raising Arizona homage and then used that to go into a sort-of chase scene set to loving "War Pigs"?

God dammit why is it not 10 o'clock yet.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

poo poo, that makes way more sense. Maybe season 2 can be the intergalactic gladiator show.

Nah, then it'd be too James Gunn

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

THF13 posted:

Did anyone make out any interesting from the background noise? One of the PA announcements I think said that an advanced time travel class was cancelled.

Oh, that's another thing, if you have a 5.1 surround sound setup in your home, that's the way to watch this show. The mix on this thing is sick-nasty.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Henchman of Santa posted:

They've gotta care to some degree. It's not premium cable.

I believe John Landgraf has said that, these days at least, there are three factors to whether or not a show gets renewed:

• Is the audience there? (Not as much as Fargo or People vs. O.J., which is what you'd hope for with an expensive Marvel show, but they're not terrible.)
• Do the critics like it? (Hell yes they do.)
• Do the suits like it? (Hard to say for sure, but they loving love Noah Hawley.)

A show gets renewed if it can hit two out of three. That's why The Americans sticks around while The Bastard Executioner gets the axe.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Codependent Poster posted:

Good episode. The Shadow King is pretending to be Lenny, who was actually Benny?

My guess? Lenny is actually The Demon With the Yellow Eyes (I'm not calling him/her Shadow King until the show does), or at least how David projects the rational version of it on top of Benny, who appeared to Syd as Lenny because Syd inherited David's mental dysfunction along with his powers when they swapped bodies JESUS loving CHRIST I LOVE THIS SHOW

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

night slime posted:

As a kid, he talks to an invisible dog named King. Pretty clever.

:stare:

No seriously

:stare:

(Not at you, just...holy loving poo poo)

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

El Jebus posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuck.

The usual rule is that the current season doesn't drop on Hulu until at least a year after it concludes; maybe longer, if they want to hold it until just before the next season starts up.

My guess? The Legion premiere, according to Deadline Hollywood, actually drew similar numbers to the premiere of The Bastard Executioner of all shows, which is NOT the kind of comparison you ever want to make when you're talking about the big expensive Marvel-branded show you're airing. Those numbers have been shrinking ever since. The difference is that the critics actually adore Legion, and the suits love it too -- or at the very least, love Noah Hawley and/or Marvel.

So, how do you bring more viewers to a heavily-serialized TV show that critics really loving love? Simple: Make it easier to catch up on. Put that poo poo up on Hulu immediately, with just enough of a delay to incentivize watching it when it airs. FX must have really liked what it saw in the Hulu numbers because the renewal announcement came like a week after those episodes went up.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

thrakkorzog posted:

I'm scaroused after watching her dance number.

This, but after that last therapy session.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Well good news, not only is season 2 a lock, the show's ratings went from mediocre to really drat good for FX.

http://deadline.com/2017/02/legion-premiere-live3-ratings-record-fx-1201910846/

Show's seen a pretty big surge in viewers.

That's an old article from a month ago.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

howe_sam posted:

Heads up, according to critics who've already seen the episode there is a little extra something something during the credits tonight. Just in case you aren't like me and sit in mute shock as the credits roll trying to process what you just saw.

That's kinda like me, except I'm not so much "sitting in mute shock" as I am "applauding and laughing over the fact that this show even exists."

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

JawnV6 posted:

It's not uncommon, someone higher than Joss (I wanna say Kevin Feig?) is super-opposed to Coulson coming back into the movies.

Word on the street is that it's entirely Ike Perlmutter being a petty douche. Keep in mind, though, that Perlmutter makes a convenient fall guy for anyone and anything because if you're even halfway familiar with what goes on behind the scenes at Marvel, your reflexive response to hearing that name is most likely "gently caress IKE PERLMUTTER."

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Hold up...

drat. The contexts aren't similar enough to be too significant, but I never noticed that parallel before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Chokes McGee posted:

God drat, the Farouk reveal owned. No fireworks, just a quiet "sup it's actually me this time" followed by one of the most sinister monologues I've ever put into my eyeballs.

Farouk is loving terrifying. His scene with Lenny when she was asking for a new body, Jesus.

"What will you do with this new life?"
"I'm gonna live the poo poo out of it!"
"And then?"
"...Die, I guess."
"...And then?"

:stonklol: