Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The poll
CON AIR
Fifth Element
Face/Off
Jurassic Park 2
Air Force One
Double Team
007 Tomorrow Never Dies
The Jackal
MORTAL KOMBAT ANNHILATION
Starship Troopers
The Saint
Speed 2
Kevin Sorbo's Kull The Conqueror
Men In Black
Mr. Nice Guy
View Results

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

1997 was a golden age for hollywood action movies, with several classics being released. What is BV's 1997 action movie of the year? For me it's Con Air, one of the most insane movies ever made with Nicholas Cage playing a plantation owner/marine stopping scenery muncher John Malkovich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You're crazy if you think Con Air is cooler than Face/Off

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Starship Troopers isn't a good action movie, but it's a fantastic satire.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

face off is an excuse to get two over actors to be even crazier and i love it

lsv
Dec 16, 2016
It's a toss up between Fifth Element and Starship Troppers for me. But in the end the Fifth Element wins, it's something I enjoyed when I was a pre-teen with my mother, Starship Troopers is something I enjoy on my own.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I've never seen Conair, oh no

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

face/off wins easy evn though i like fifth element nd maybe men in black more

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

CON AIR because of the memes, OP

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

poo poo, I voted Kull by mistake.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I voted Starship Troopers, the correct option.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I think it's Fifth Element then Face/Off then Con Air but that's just m humble o

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

oldpainless posted:

I voted Starship Troopers, the correct option.

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIyvSKCnBnk

still voted starship troopers

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
Men in Black came out too

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I was gonna complain you left off Saving Private Ryan but it turns out that was released in '98 so I'm gonna say Fifth Element

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
one voter ITT is dumb as loving poo poo just FYI

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
While I enjoyed Starship Troopers, The Fifth Element is so good that it isn't even a fair choice

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
someone actually voted for Speed 2

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
People poo poo on the Lost World, but this scene transition completely makes up for the stupid gymnastics scene
https://twitter.com/ANNZac/status/829841299196948480
That and Roland is one of the best characters in the entire series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vJiNQJEWN4
The score for The Lost World is better than original JP too :colbert:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

How come the poll has 8x as many people that post in this forum. There aren't even regulars or anything, who's lurking this forum right now thinking "nah not for me".

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

In Training posted:

How come the poll has 8x as many people that post in this forum. There aren't even regulars or anything, who's lurking this forum right now thinking "nah not for me".

Vote early, vote often

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

i didn't even vote because i found it too stressful to decide

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

In Training posted:

The guy who voted for Tomorrow Never Dies really needs to step up to get his rear end kicked.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

In Training posted:

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Plutonis posted:

The guy who voted for Tomorrow Never Dies really needs to step up to get his rear end kicked.

agrred

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Surprisingly, the best action movie from 1997 is actually The Rock (1996)... not sure how that happened, but it's true.

Please correct the poll to reflect this.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

zenintrude posted:

Surprisingly, the best action movie from 1997 is actually The Rock (1996)... not sure how that happened, but it's true.

Please correct the poll to reflect this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R07cCydCeY&t=79s

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4i8UYUpAKQ&t=38s

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Face/Off's plot had people trade faces...so they had their FACEs taken OFF and on someone else. You can't beat that.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i saw jurassic park 2 in theaters and i was ready for it to end at the scene where the t-rex breaks out of the boat. at that point, i realized it was going to be another 30 minutes

also the correct answer is Con-Air

Oni Elem
Jun 1, 2008

that is a lot of cool movies, maybe I'll watch Mr Nice Guy again soon

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the answer's Grosse Pointe Blank, op

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Fifth Element is a fantastic movie, but in terms of best action movie? Face/Off. It's gotta be.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Alaois posted:

the answer's Grosse Pointe Blank, op
it's no CON-AIR, but that's an underrated, overlooked gem and people should watch it

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Goddamn Nic Cage was on a loving roll for a few years there, wasn't he? Too bad he never stopped making 90's action movies. I wonder if you can order those scripts in bulk and poo poo like Next and Knowing were just on the bottom of the pile from his last Costco run.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Oh god It's honestly a toss up between The Fifth Element and Starship Troopers. I rewatched both recently and I must say they both aged so well. Hell the satire in Starship Troopers is even still relevant today and The Fifth Element fleshed out it universe in one two hour movie more than Marvel has done in like, what is it? thirteen, fourteen movies?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

David D. Davidson posted:

Oh god It's honestly a toss up between The Fifth Element and Starship Troopers. I rewatched both recently and I must say they both aged so well. Hell the satire in Starship Troopers is even still relevant today and The Fifth Element fleshed out it universe in one two hour movie more than Marvel has done in like, what is it? thirteen, fourteen movies?

I rewatched Fifth Element recently and the world in particular still looked fantastic, I think cause it was made in that last gasp before cheap cgi completely took over.

Also John Cusack appeared to be on a real upswing then huh.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The Fifth Element is insanely good, it should stand next to Blade Runner when it comes to depicting authentic living sci-fi worlds. The humor adds to it a lot as well.

Also:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The greatest pull my finger joke in cinema since Beavis and Butthead a year prior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Con Air was the last movie that really thrilled me in the theater. Only the Matrix after that really came close and that was because I'd never even heard of the film before a friend took me to see it.

I seem to have terrible taste.

• Locked thread