Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shayl
Apr 11, 2007

I'm a web developer who works with the React framework, and no, you don't need certifications for this stuff or a degree, especially on the front end, its a waste of money.

The only thing you need to do is make stuff, and prove you can make stuff. I have an art degree, and 0 certifications and I'm almost at the 6 figure mark nowadays working with front end javascript. It took a while to get here (and I started with really basic stuff like design and html/css only) but javascript and angular2/react and node are a big deal right now in the industry. I'd probably be more junior than I am if I wasn't a huge CSS whiz. My javascript is much weaker but I'm getting there, and I do know javascript well enough to make things.

So, here's what I would do if I were you. Pick a framework (angular2 and react are the big ones), look up webpack, and make something. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, but it will make you look awesome if you have some projects up on github and you can speak this language.

The frameworks are here to stay and they are awesome for front end software. Websites don't really need them, but if you want to really, truly get your foot into the door and make good money (and have recruiters banging down your door), learn how to setup webpack and npm scripts, learn core javascript, and make something and push it to github. What this does is make you marketable to basically all the companies that are making cloud-based SASS (which is basically every software company these days). Customers demand better interfaces that aren't cludgy webforms, and this is where front end developers come in.

I wouldn't have given you this advice a year ago, I thought this stuff was crap. I was so, so wrong. I moved to the east coast and I still have recruiters bothering me every week because I know this stuff. There is a huge demand for front end UI development with javascript.

Here are some links. This stuff might be very overwhelming to you if you're still a beginner, but at least give them a look:

https://webpack.github.io/docs/tutorials/getting-started/

http://ccoenraets.github.io/es6-tutorial/setup-webpack/

Also, I recommend the Mozilla developer network for learning, as well as the Udemy course: https://www.udemy.com/understand-javascript/

THAT course is 100% worth the money, and the Mozilla network even cites it as a source. It's on sale right now and I can't believe how much I learned.

Shayl fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread