Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

Not one that actual patients would be comfortable with.

Actually, there have been studies on hospitals who have altered their antibiotic regimens in order to prove this. If I remember right, it's a few years before the class of antibiotics you're avoiding becomes really effective again and then you could cycle back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I mean I've got an anecdote about use of IV antibiotics inappropriately but I don't know about studies.

Doc told me it was a super low chance I had something that would be antibiotic responsive and said he'd get me ciprofloxacin IV, I replied that if it was super low I'd rather take the chance and not contribute to antibiotic resistance. He shrugged and gave the order to the nurse who proceeded to hook it up and get the pump going then not connect it to my IV line. I pointed it out and they gave me the remainder half that was still in the bag. That was an interesting night.

The whole bit about the role of antibiotic use in animals is interesting, and hopefully the new feed directives starting this year that outlaw use of antibiotics as growth promoters and requirement of a prescription for any antibiotic use in livestock will not only make people think twice, but also start generating data on usage. One of the main antibiotics used in Ag is monensin which has no related drug used in human med and apparently doesn't confer cross-protection. Interestingly enough, there's been some data to show some organic farms with more resistant organisms since organic farms are allowed one antibiotic administration (so theory is that instead of using lower tier antibiotics they're just reaching for higher tier off the bat).

Heck there's even evidence that feeding pigs zinc as an antimicrobial agent leads to some vancomycin resistant strains.

There's a lot of weird things in animal med. There needs to be more funding and more research in this.

That being said, its highly likely the issue isn't the use of antibiotics itself, but rather the cramped and terrible conditions livestock live in on factory farms leading to the need of antimicrobials, but that's a whole other discussion.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Because it was the doc's plan to use it while it wasn't actually indicated. I wasn't exactly in a good state to sit there arguing about it either and felt that I should point out the fact that they didn't connect up the thing that was running (that they were charging me for).

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What are you basing any of this on?

His own admission of low likelihood and having an understanding of medicine.

• Locked thread