Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Shbobdb posted:

It's been a long time since I've been in the antibiotics space but the hotness ~15 years ago was that antibiotics are generally means for cross species communication. That's why soil bacteria (organisms that exist in a highly heterogeneous matrix) produce all kinds of antibiotics.

If you up the dosage, they become a "killing word" where you start to seriously gently caress poo poo up. That's a nicely selective give-and-take game, where you can have peaceful communication as well as biological warfare, depending on expression levels.

We've been using antibiotics outside of their context. If you live in a world of screams, deafness makes sense. Same principle applies, only it's more often a gain of function or overexpression of existing mechanisms. Hearing so well you block out the screams, if you will.

bacteria aren't people dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Neurolimal posted:

As was mentioned before, these antibiotic resistances consume organism resources that make the bacteria less competitive against those not resistant against the bacteria (in the absence of the antibiotic, obviously). My guess is that it could be a plan to make a pattern of propagating antibiotics, phage treatments, and other effective cures in periods so that, as they become resistant to one solution, a new solution is implemented + the old solution halted and the prior organisms are beaten by the originals and the new bact resistant to the newer solution

I'm not a scientist so for all I know I just said a bunch of gibberish, so vOv

No in principle this is a useful strategy but in reality it's really hard to implement because given the wide variety of resistances you'll
1) have to do it strictly so eventually you're going to run into cases where you have to tell some patient "yeah we could save you but welp gotta manage some resistances so thank you for your sacrifice for future generations" or
2) have an unregulatable mess where you have to trust that antibiotics declared to be last resort will actually only be used as last resort until they get rotated back into regular use (lol no we already can't manage that even for one or two poo poo rear end old antibiotics)

• Locked thread