Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

It's not that hard to make new antibiotics. There is just no will to do it because there isn't (yet) enough of a financial return. It's expensive to bring a drug to market and antibiotics tend to be sold cheaply. Eventually (and after many avoidable deaths) there will be sufficient profit motivation to bring new classes of antibiotic drugs to market.

We can't really make new antibiotics on demand, finding something that kills bacteria while not disproportionately harming a human being or the beneficial human microbiome is pretty difficult.

In theory, the solution to this problem is really easy: Don't give people antibiotics for minor infections that will go away on their own, or for infections that aren't bacterial to begin with. And more importantly don't give antibiotics to healthy farm animals for "prevention" or because they promote growth. The problem is that we need very large numbers of people to cooperate for this to work, and that's arguably harder than finding new antibiotics.

Maybe alternative approaches like viruses and antibodies will save us, but it's a huge problem that will probably kill thousands if not millions of people over the next decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Alhazred posted:

Here's an interesting thing: Scientists recreated an ancient remedy, tested it on MRSA and it loving worked:
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-32117815

I don't want cow bile in my eye though

I know that some plant recipes are very effective against certain bacteria, there's a similar thing happening with horseradish and UTIs. I always wonder whether bacteria aren't just going to become resistant to those things as well, I don't imagine the underlying mechanism is fundamentally different from modern antibiotics

• Locked thread