Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
The question is, I suppose, whether the Faibleimpot attack should be a surgical strike from Haltebruit and La Oeuf, or part of a concentrated push involving a whole division, swiveling on St Croissant. The former could give away our objective and be vulnerable to being cut off, but the latter is a much more ambitious push and would leave us vulnerable to our entire flank collapsing, should it fail.

Either way, I think we should put troops on La Cote, at least at first. As xthetenth points out, it's basically free since we can almost certainly get there firstest with the mostest, and once we have it we can either hold it and be a thorn in the enemy's side, or force them to expend men retaking a piece of terrain we don't need anyway, or rebuff a probe and then withdraw, leaving them thinking we've got forces there and either leaving forces of their own tied up with our ghost brigade or massing for an attack that will keep even more of their forces busy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

xthetenth posted:

I think establishing a presence in St. Croissant does more to weaken a position on Le Oeuf than vice versa, but I do like the focus of that plan and the heavy concentration of artillery towards an objective.

On the other hand, holding Croissant without Oeuf means we pretty much have to hold Baguette and means we definitely need to hold Bois de Baguette lest we get cut off. It's no fun being the forlorn hope if nobody relieves you in time to have some survivors to bury under medals.

I agree about Baguette. Much of the plane hinges around holding the Baguette area. However - I'm very confident we can get there first, thanks to the road network.

thatbastardken posted:

Général de Division Tebeka

Failing to occupy and move forward from La Cote renders us highly vulnerable to German flanking maneuvers or cavalry attacks addressed at our reserves or headquarters.

By all means we should fight concentrated, but not at the cost of being enveloped.

Additionally you make no provision in your plan for the attack on Faibleimpot.

Le Cote is hard for the Germans to get to quickly because it isn't connected to the German's road network, so I'm not extremely concerned.

We can modify the plan, if you'd like. Send one reserve brigade, plus 2-3 75mm guns to take and hold Le Cote for the duration of the battle and lock down our flank.

As for Faibleimpot, I figured we'd see what the situation was like towards the end of the battle before we plotted our attack. We're going to be pretty beat-up from the fighting and we'll need to stay flexible.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I feel like La Cote is important to hold at least up until we see what they are doing.

Whether we go for a 'surgical strike' on Faibleimpot should depend on whether they will be able to realistically stop us in time. We don't have to hold it for all time, just until reinforcements arrive (although this could take a very long time). Once there we need to make sure we are in a position which causes any fast response on Faibleimpot to be very costly.

I'm not actually offering any solutions because that is above my pay grade. :downs:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Bacarruda posted:

Le Cote is hard for the Germans to get to quickly because it isn't connected to the German's road network, so I'm not extremely concerned.

We can modify the plan, if you'd like. Send one reserve brigade, plus 2-3 75mm guns to take and hold Le Cote for the duration of the battle and lock down our flank.

As for Faibleimpot, I figured we'd see what the situation was like towards the end of the battle before we plotted our attack. We're going to be pretty beat-up from the fighting and we'll need to stay flexible.

Basically my thought was the division that was holding Clemencau in your plan would work well for Le Cote, does that make sense to you?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
A new proposal, then: Plan Agressive.

Each line of advance represents two brigades and a 'phase' of movement (Not fully measured to the speed of troops, this is purely a conceptual work at this time)

As you can see this concentrates four brigades into an assault on St Croissants, while the other half of Red Division wheels around to prevent German flank attacks while threatening the Boche to distract them from our true objective. With St Croissant taken the forces there can advance to the indicated positions and pin the enemy in place while the other half of Blue (Hopefully still fresh, or at least intact) hits Faibleimpot

The Corps Cavalry reserve, as in my esteemed comrade's plan, race to secure La Oeuf for elements of Blue division, then advance to Brioche village to secure the road there when relieved.

Reserve Infantry Brigades should be moved up in the wake of the advance to secure Clemenceau and Baguende.

I have marked the entire north as a potential German entry point, as our information does not extend to more than half the compass at this time.

Disposition of Division artillery and cavalry to be determined by the brigade commanders in accordance with field conditions.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Pretty much any plan of attack is going to have to deal with the Kraut artillery being set up along the Pasteur ridge. Assuming that one of their goals is to seize the vital boulangeries of St. Croissant, they will likely set up their fiendish Krupp steel guns along the ridge to support the attack. If our artillery can set up on La Cote before they can set up, it will allow us to have an advantage in the artillery duel, as well as supporting an attack up the hill to spike the guns. The downside, of course, is that it would limit our artillery to action on the eastern side of the map, since it takes forever for those lazy engineers to set up and take down their guns.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Général de Division Bacarrette

While we're debating Le Cote vs. Le Oeuf - let's look at which plan makes the best use of each one.

Here's my original plan, Plan SUD

We focus on taking the southern part of the map, then push north.

Pro: slow-moving artillery gets into support positions faster, artillery able to support attack for more of the battle
Con: more movement over open ground, effectively surrenders Le Oeuf, leaving
Key terrain: Baguette village, Baguette forest, Le Oeuf hill

Plan EST

We focus on taking the eastern ridges then make a westward advance to take our objectives.

Pro: early control of high ground, chance to cut off German forces on Le Oeuf by taking La Sanglant Femme late-game
Con: northern advance slowed by rough terrain
Key terrain: Le Cote ridge, Pasteur ridge, Clemenceau ridge.

At the moment, I actually think Plan EST is the best one. If we commit the cavalry to taking Pasteur Ridge, we could have lots of excellent high ground with great artillery coverage of the approaches to Saint Croissant.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

sullat posted:

Pretty much any plan of attack is going to have to deal with the Kraut artillery being set up along the Pasteur ridge. Assuming that one of their goals is to seize the vital boulangeries of St. Croissant, they will likely set up their fiendish Krupp steel guns along the ridge to support the attack. If our artillery can set up on La Cote before they can set up, it will allow us to have an advantage in the artillery duel, as well as supporting an attack up the hill to spike the guns. The downside, of course, is that it would limit our artillery to action on the eastern side of the map, since it takes forever for those lazy engineers to set up and take down their guns.

Why are we assuming the Germans will have a bigger deployment area than us?

Faiblempot is our objective -- it makes sense to me that the Germans will be coming at us from that direction. In which case, we'll be abel to get Pasteur first, if we chose to do so.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I like the moxie of Plan Aggressive, but it does seem to doom the half of Red Division sent off to flank and harass. Of course, sacrifices must be made in war and should my own brigade be one of those chosen for the task I would be honoured to fulfill it, but I think the same forces placed on La Cote with a few guns would distract the enemy just as well with much less risk. Because of Bois de Gooneville blocking line of sight between most of La Saglant Femme and the southern approach to St Croissant, I feel it is all but inevitable that the Kraut guns will be positioned instead on Pasteur Ridge, so if we cross their T with guns of our own they would have no choice but to respond in force - pulling forces away from our objectives of St Croissant and Faibleimpot.

E:

Bacarruda posted:

Faiblempot is our objective -- it makes sense to me that the Germans will be coming at us from that direction. In which case, we'll be abel to get Pasteur first, if we chose to do so.

my dad posted:

General Mon Pere, Corps Commander

The high command told us that the German forces are advancing from the North. It would, therefore, be prudent to expect German attacks from the general North of our deployment zone.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

I concur with plan Est, as it stands.

Général Mon Pere, your thoughts?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Bacarruda posted:

Yes, if the Germans deploy from the Faiblempot/Veine roads, then the easiest path of their advance would be down those roads towards Le Oeuf and St. Croissant via the Bois de Gooneville. However, they may also be advancing down from Bouelcort instead. Would it be possible to send one of these new-fangled aeroplanes out to see where the enemy is advancing from? I am not sure if the aeroplane has any significant role in the noble art of warfare, but I suppose if High command saw fit to attach one to our little army, we may as well humor them by attempting to use it.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

sullat posted:

Yes, if the Germans deploy from the Faiblempot/Veine roads, then the easiest path of their advance would be down those roads towards Le Oeuf and St. Croissant via the Bois de Gooneville. However, they may also be advancing down from Bouelcort instead. Would it be possible to send one of these new-fangled aeroplanes out to see where the enemy is advancing from? I am not sure if the aeroplane has any significant role in the noble art of warfare, but I suppose if High command saw fit to attach one to our little army, we may as well humor them by attempting to use it.

We do have a spotter plane.

And if we're banking on the Germans coming in from the entire north, then Plan Est is way too risky. Plan Sud is a safer option,

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

119th reserve brigade "Janterer's elévès"

A startled subaltern pipes up around the planning table:

Sirs! The cent Dix neuf brigade stands ready and willing to sweep the boche into Alsace!

But.... the plan sirs. In leveé training we were told to concentrate our forces. Don't these plans commit us to fighting on the broadest possible front? If we are moving on the railway from the east, doesn't it make sense to present a front running north-south in great force rather than stringing us out east-west? After all sirs, the result of one brigade against one is linear, while two against one is quadratic!

The subaltern stands rigid at attention and trembles nervously

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

It takes grand courage to speak out at a staff meeting like this, son. I appreciate that. And to a large extent you are correct - March Divided, but Fight Concentrated is one of the oldest military maxims. But! Consider the terrain! A single front would be funneled by high ground, forests, and towns into areas that the Boches could hammer with artillery and rifle fire. Multiple forces, moving with elan, will be less constrained by the ground and still able to support each other.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Holding La Cote is non-negotiable, gentlemen. It is too valuable of a position on our flank, and holding it is too small of a price to pay for not having to worry about Boche going through my liquor cabinet. If, and only if, our scouting from its peak shows no enemy forces in the surrounding area, can the brigade there move forward.

The original plan includes 4 brigades attacking La Eouf and another 5 attacking Saint Croissants. How exactly does any of these other plans increase the force concentration there?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Firing rules, or, PEW PEW BANG BANG rAttATaTTarAttATaTTa BOOOOOOOOOM

Here are the rules on what happens when you shoot at things.

Firing Range

The base firing ranges are as follows.

quote:

Infantry/Cavalry: 8"
*Machine-Guns: 12" (but see below)
Artillery: 18"

When eligible to do so, any company may fire in any direction at any enemy company which it has Spotted on the current turn, subject to the order of priority (see below). Firing occurs after all movement by both sides has been resolved; there is a mechanic to govern what happens if company moves into and then out of an enemy's firing range. If a company is in Cover and firing at an enemy inside the same piece of Cover, firing range is limited to 4".

Fire and Friendly Units

There is no friendly fire. Infantry and Cavalry cannot fire through friendly units (although they may move through a friendly unit's space, so long as there's room for it to do so). Artillery may only fire through a friendly unit if it fulfils the requirements for Overhead Fire.

Machine-Gun Fire

Machine Guns may fire through friendly units. If they are in a Wood or Trench and in base-to-base contact with an Infantry or Cavalry company; or in a Town and in base-to-base contact with a company in the Outskirts, their firing range is calculated from the company they are in contact with.

This has now become known as the Billy Bonus, and is further described here.

Overhead Fire

A unit's Firing range is not affected by being on a hill.

Artillery may fire over the heads of friendly companies on the same elevation, provided that the company is at least 2" away from the guns and 2" away from the target.

Any company which is is entirely on one level of a hill may fire over the head of friendly units who are entirely 1 or more levels below where this would otherwise not be possible. Companies with elevation cannot fire at targets that have a friendly company within 2".

Other Restrictions on Artillery

Artillery may only fire out of a wood if its edge is touching the edge of the wood; it may only fire out of a town if in the Outskirts; no artillery in a wood may fire into the wood; no artillery in the Outskirts may fire into a town; no artillery in a town may fire at all.

The Order of Combat

Combat proceeds in the following phases:

quote:

Indirect Fire Artillery
Direct Fire Artillery
Machine Guns
Stationary Infantry
Stationary Cavalry
Moving Infantry
Moving Cavalry
(Morale Check 1)
Cavalry Charge
Bayonet Charge
(Morale Check 2)
(Rally)

Combat is not resolved like movement; in combat, Team A's artillery fires, then Team B's artillery fires; then Team A's MGs, then Team B's MGs, etc.

The Order of Priority

A company which fires always attacks the closest company it is allowed to fire at, subject to the Order of Priority, which is based on a "like to like" principle.

Artillery must fire at artillery if available, then machine-guns, then any other target
Machine Guns are the exception: they target Rifle Companies (infantry and cavalry) first, then any other target
Rifle Companies must target other Rifle Companies, then Machine Guns, then Artillery.
HQ Units and Runners are always last in the Order of Priority and may only be shot at when there is no other valid target.

Close Combat

Rifle Companies which, during their movement, move into base-to-base contact with an enemy company which it Spotted on a previous turn, initiate Close Combat. Infantry companies perform a Bayonet Charge; Cavalry performs a Cavalry Charge. Units who are being charged suspend the Order of Priority rules and instead fire on the charging company. A unit may be charged by multiple opponents at once. A unit in Close Combat may not be targeted by enemy artillery.

Any other unit that would move into base-to-base contact with an enemy stops 1" short, as does any company which would move into base-to-base contact on the same turn that an enemy company is Spotted, and any company which is Suppressed (see below) while charging.

A charge which scores a hit (which is more likely than a hit with rifle fire) either kills the charged company or forces it to retreat suppressed. A successful Bayonet Charge allows the company to attack one more enemy within range; a successful Cavalry Charge may attack up to three more enemies.

FIBUA, FISH, and FIPAC (or, Special Rules for Towns)

In a town, all firing ranges are restricted to 4", and a unit may enter Close Combat without first Spotting its enemy.

(Fighting In Built Up Areas, Fighting In Someone's House, and Fighting In Pubs And Clubs. Guess which the British Army does the most?)

Firing Mechanics

I roll dice and determine who gets hit. There will be no discussion of the exact mechanics.

Results of Fire, Suppression

Firing results in one of three outcomes: Miss, Suppression, Kill. A company that is missed is unaffected; a company that is killed is removed; a company that is suppressed remains on the board and may not move or fire. If a company is hit while suppressed, it is killed. In the Rally phase, all surviving Suppressed companies attempt to remove their suppression; if successful they continue trying to carry out their orders.

Morale

There are two Morale phases, immediately before and immediately after close combat. On the turn that it occurs, if a Regular brigade is reduced to 1/2 or 1/3 of its original strength (not including attached units), it makes a Morale Check. Your two Reserve brigades must make an additional morale check at 2/3 strength. (They don't keep making checks on every turn; only on the turn on which they are reduced.)

There are three possible results: Rout, Retreat Suppressed, and Unaffected. If the Brigade routs, all its Companies are removed, including attached units. If the Brigade Retreats Suppressed, on its next turn all its companies (including suppressed and attached companies) Break Off; when they finish breaking off, all units are suppressed. (Suppressed units who retreated due to a Morale Check are not Killed.) Any Orders the Brigade was trying to carry out are disregarded; any units that Rally go into Defend stance.

Night Operations

A few of the rules about firing and spotting change during the hours of darkness: see this post for details.

Supplemental: The Engineer

Not really part of firing rules, but I think I'm pretty much done with stuff to explain, and he's not worth his own post, although he is a lot of fun...

An Engineer has many uses; in Grey's game they spent a shitload of time building bridges. It's a fighting stand, and when on the board, it moves/spots/defends itself as though it were Infantry. However, I keep Engineer chits off-board and operating in an abstract manner unless they're within 12" of an enemy company, or specifically ordered to come on-board (for instance, if they're needed to replace a killed infantry company).

An Engineer can move around freely when it has a task to perform, regardless of the stance of its Brigade; takes 4 turns to entrench itself (a regular Company on Defend Orders takes 6); it produces 3" of trench on each side of itself (the regular company produces 1"); and it goes on working even if it Spots an enemy or is fired on, although it's not allowed to fire while working. It also carries onto the map 3" of barbed wire, which takes 4 turns to place, and it can also steal loot requisition 3" of barbed wire from a Farm by spending a turn stationary inside the Farm's boundary; it can carry up to 9" at a time. Finally, it can spend 6 turns to create a Roadblock, which annoys the poo poo out of anyone who's trying to travel on that road.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Bonejorr monsewers, it's Staff Officer Slim Jim Pickens from the Corps de la Géographie.

Submitting a tentative surveyor's map of battlefield sightlines. Trin, is this is reasonable approximation of the line of sight for a single company holding position on top of la Oeuf sur la Teton?

Woods block line of sight and provide spotting cover to units inside them. (Mistakes like this are why the normal rules say that spotting is something that's done to you, not something that you do - it's very easy to overlook the conditional that's in effect at t'other end; if you calculate from the unit being spotted, you just go "oh, he's in the wood" and remember he's hidden.)

:siren: edit: FYI: I've been doing a few quick playtests of my various house rules, and I'm going to need to revamp the rules about when brigade commanders can give new orders because there's still too much scope for interrupting the flow of the game; file it under "things that work fine in person but not in an internet game". Fortunately, you guys aren't really thinking of brigade-level operations yet. I'll be quick. Sorry.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 9, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

my dad posted:

Holding La Cote is non-negotiable, gentlemen. It is too valuable of a position on our flank, and holding it is too small of a price to pay for not having to worry about Boche going through my liquor cabinet. If, and only if, our scouting from its peak shows no enemy forces in the surrounding area, can the brigade there move forward.

The original plan includes 4 brigades attacking La Eouf and another 5 attacking Saint Croissants. How exactly does any of these other plans increase the force concentration there?

I understand about Le Cote, mon general. Shall we give the task to a reserve brigade and two 75mm guns?

My hesitation is that we could have half our forces attacking two different areas at the same time - with no ability to support or communicate with each other. What if the La Eouf attack needs help? The Saint Croissant troops can do nothing to help them.

I'm simply suggesting we alter the timetable of your plan. Focus on securing La Eouf, Clemenceau, Baguette and Le Cote first. Then, we make an attack with a 5-6 brigade front -- with an additional five brigades in reserve ready to move behind them in support. It doubles our overall attacking strength -- plus, it lets us give much more artillery fire in support of our attack.

From what Trin's just told us - taking casualties (and any attack on Saint Croissant will take heavy losses) is going to cause brigades to dissolve. We need following brigades to fill in the gaps and keep the attack going.

I am very concerned that a five brigade attack on Saint Croissant could get some bad rolls and lose 20-40% of its fighting strength, which would stall the attack and force us to retreat for no gain.

We both want to take Saint Croissant -- let's do it with a plan that gives us the most reserves and lets each division fully support each other.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Feb 10, 2017

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

Woods block line of sight and provide spotting cover to units inside them. (Mistakes like this are why the normal rules say that spotting is something that's done to you, not something that you do - it's very easy to overlook the conditional that's in effect at t'other end; if you calculate from the unit being spotted, you just go "oh, he's in the wood" and remember he's hidden.)

Thanks for clarifying. Does the rest of the map pass review?

Another question, for a company inside woods on top of a hill, which set of rules applies their visibility and vision? For example, for a wood on top of a level 3 hill, does an immobile company still spot enemies in open terrain 48' away? And would a moving company on that wooded hill be spottable from 48' away, or only 4'?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Revised brigade ordering rules are up; basically, they can only make a Change of Orders when a Runner from a higher HQ gets to them, and I'm asking for a list of Auto-Response settings in your brigade orders so I can answer questions like "do you want to break off yet?" (which will be occurring multiple times a turn every turn once battle is properly joined) without interrupting the game; if I'm going to interrupt the game, I want it to be because someone has to make a strategically important decision.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Thanks for clarifying. Does the rest of the map pass review?

Another question, for a company inside woods on top of a hill, which set of rules applies their visibility and vision? For example, for a wood on top of a level 3 hill, does an immobile company still spot enemies in open terrain 48' away? And would a moving company on that wooded hill be spottable from 48' away, or only 4'?

If something provides cover, it always provides cover. Once a company enters a wood it is in cover. If a company is in position to see out of an elevated wood, it gets the vision bonus for being on elevation. For everyone else's spotting purposes, the offending company is in a wood, not on a hill.

The rest of the map looks good enough for LOS.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 11, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

Revised brigade ordering rules are up; basically, they can only make a Change of Orders when a Runner from a higher HQ gets to them, and I'm asking for a list of Auto-Response settings in your brigade orders so I can answer questions like "do you want to break off yet?" (which will be occurring multiple times a turn every turn once battle is properly joined) without interrupting the game; if I'm going to interrupt the game, I want it to be because someone has to make a strategically important decision.

Some questions. What if a unit gets cut off and can't receive runners? Can our spotter plane try to drop them a message? Can they attempt a breakout? Or are they just stuck?

Trin Tragula posted:

edit: here is a French default Battle Order, positioned on the map with my 4/8/12/16 range bullseye over the top

this design is not, repeat not, guaranteed to be at all effective at anything other than dying, but there it is for brigadiers who want a little help with their deployments - note that it does not include any corps or division assets.

Regular units can't fire over the heads of friendlies troops in base-to-base contact, right? Only MGs can do that, correct? Can they fire over the heads of friendlies if they're at a higher elevation

In general, artillery (75mm field guns and the 155mm howitzers) fire of the heads of friendlies? What if the artillery is in base-to-base contact with friendlies? What if the guns are at a higher elevation?

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 11, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I am going to start trying to set up something on roll20. In the meantime...

General Tebeka, your 6th division is to assume the role of force Red. General Bacarrette, your 22nd division is to assume the role of force Blue.

You are to do the following:
  • Make a more fleshed out version of plan Chardonnay for your force, including assigning specific tasks and additional units to specific brigades, as outline by me in this post.
  • Make a more fleshed out version of plan Pinot noir for your force, including assigning specific tasks and additional units to specific brigades, as outlined by General Bacarrette in this post.
  • You are encouraged to tailor brigadess to specific tasks rather than just giving each brigade the same amount of artillery support. It goes without saying that the cavalry brigade gets the extra cavalry company of force Blue.
  • You are allowed to make an additional plan based on a modification of the above two, as long as it is equally fleshed out, and working on it doesn't require you to neglect the above.
  • While doing so, take into consideration my notes about Le Cote (don't neglect to defend) and Faibleimpot (don't neglect to attack).
  • The cavalry brigade is to be allocated to force Blue. Remaining reserves and artillery are to be split evenly among the divisions, for now (let's say, 199th to 6th, 120th to 22nd). You are allowed to request extras if you believe it will be needed, but remember that they will have to be taken from the other force.

REMEMBER, THIS IS NOT THE FINAL STAGE OF PLANNING.

Brigade generals, you are to start considering how you want to deploy your brigade, and specifics of formations, routes taken, and positions held/attacked. Try to keep your planning specific to what your division general expects your brigade to do, but don't focus on the details too much - we're trying to get an idea which of the plans works best when set in motion, no need to spend too much effort yet. Once you have done this, you may consider helping out the staff officers.

Staff officers, your tasks are threefold. In order of priority, they are:
  • Design brigade formations to maximize combat effectiveness. Most important formations would be offroad marching formation (expecting eventual frontal contact with the enemy at an unknown position), offroad marching formation when at risk of flanking (expecting eventual frontal contact with the enemy, but also prepared to fight an enemy striking from a specific flank), generic defensive formations on featureless terrain, defensive formations on specific terrain features we are expected to hold or take, and assault formations for taking out fortified positions when supported by other brigades. Attention is to be paid to weapons range, protection of artillery and the brigade HQ, and maximizing fire output while minimizing frontage (unless explicitly trying to envelop the enemy). As an idea, consider leaving narrow gaps between companies to ensure the second line can fire through the gap, keeping your artillery at least [two inches, which is a bit less than two companies' width] away from your infantry, and placing your MG unit in such a way as to maximize its ability to [use its adjacency bonus] (flanked guys, this one is especially important for you).
  • Make plans for a brigade of your choice, as if your were its brigade general. I would highly encourage focusing on brigades for which no specific plan exists as of yet. Who knows, there may be a promotion in it for you if [a brigade commanding goon is absent for too long].
  • Provide advice and help to generals of all ranks. Do some analysis of your own which you think may be important to our chances of success. Be creative here.

Vive la France!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Bacarruda posted:

Some questions. What if a unit gets cut off and can't receive runners? Can our spotter plane try to drop them a message? Can they attempt a breakout? Or are they just stuck?

They're hosed. The thing is, if cut-off units can try to break out, then people can use player knowledge to break out in an advantageous direction, and they'll also know when the tipping point is from "this is a calculated risk" to "oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress". It's a recurring story again and again in WW1 that units got cut off and took hideous casualties because they advanced too far, or in an unwise direction, and nobody knew what they were getting themselves into until it was too late to do anything about it, to the point where I'd call it a defining feature of the war.

That's another of the philosophies behind the orders rules that I've put in place; as far as possible, it nullifies the effect of player knowledge from all being in one thread reading everyone's updates. It now matters a lot less that individual brigadiers know more about what everyone else in the army is doing than they should, because your ability to act is limited to times when higher command would be able to communicate the knowledge to you.

Bacarruda posted:

Regular units can't fire over the heads of friendlies troops in base-to-base contact, right? Only MGs can do that, correct? Can they fire over the heads of friendlies if they're at a higher elevation

Yes, so long as both units are entirely on different levels; but they have to obey the 2" rule for targeting.

quote:

In general, artillery (75mm field guns and the 155mm howitzers) fire of the heads of friendlies? What if the artillery is in base-to-base contact with friendlies? What if the guns are at a higher elevation?

Artillery can fire over the heads of units on the same elevation if there is 2" of clearance at both ends. Artillery cannot fire through base-to-base contact.

edit: since the order has been made to start considering them

Notes on Brigade Formations

For a formation in which all units are positioned within the inner (8") Command Radius of BHQ, it will take one turn to adopt the formation.

For a formation in which any unit* is positioned within the outer (16") Command Radius of BHQ, it will take two turns to adopt the formation.

The formation will not move until all units are in position.

Cavalry attached to an infantry brigade may move 12" away from it in one turn. Road bonuses are not considered when moving into formation. The Cavalry Brigade's Command Radius is 12/24.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 11, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
:ducksiren:ROLL20 UP:ducksiren:

You can join if you follow :siren:this:siren: link. I'll GM y'all as soon as I read you post your roll20 name in the thread.

Just follow the guidelines I'm setting here:
  • Don't vandalize the main 3 pages. If you want to draw squiggleys, of which I highly approve of in this serious bussiness of marching pixelmans to their doom on the internet, make a new page and have at it.
  • Observers, look but please don't touch or talk about anything you've seen unless you're in the observer thread. I'm not worried about the German team, I'm assuming everyone in this game will play fair, but chatty observers can sometimes accidentally cause problems.
  • Keep the Brigade Planning page clear of anything but chits. Any drawings are to be done on the Division Planning page or a new page you make. I'll probably make a spare map or two for everyone to play around in however they want, but feel free to beat me to it.
  • There is a page with all of the chit types placed on the object layer. Copy them from there and paste them wherever you need them. Once you placed your copied chits, double click on them to change their name from the unit type to the name of your brigade or your username to avoid confusion. There's gonna be a shitload of chits on the map and we'll need a way to tell them apart. Please don't mess with the original chits on the chits page. It's not that big of a hassle to replace them, but why replace them in the first place?
  • Pay attention to which layer you're on when you're drawing and placing things.
  • Have fun!

Do note that we're not supposed to be hiding there. Try to at least mention everything important that happens there in this thread, or provide a screenshot every once in a while.

General Hunt11 was shot and wounded by the terrible German sniper, Friedrich Drumpf. One of the staff officers is required to volunteer to temporarily replace him in his duties. Officers are highly suggested to avoid personally visiting the frontlines in places such as l'Dand and Effyaders while their services are requires in this offensive.

my dad fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 11, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Same name as in thread, 6ᵉ Cavalerie

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Confirmation post for the Roll20, mon général! :france:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

The outskirts length given is 50mm, is that getting rounded to 2 inches?

Also, what happens if a unit is partially in there?

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 11, 2017

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Likewise same Roll20 name as on here.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
General Francois Sullat reporting for the planning conference.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

my dad posted:

General Tebeka, your 6th division is to assume the role of force Red. General Bacarrette, your 22nd division is to assume the role of force Blue.

You are to do the following:

Plan Chardonnay
22nd Division Organization
96th Brigade: Tehan - Role: Assault; Attachments: Cavalry
97th Brigade: Hunt11 - Role: Maneuver, Overwatch; Attachments: 5x 75mm Artillery, Engineers
98th Brigade: AbortRetryFail - Role: Assault; Attachments:
99th Brigade: Loel - Role: Manuever, Flank Protection; Attachments: 4x 75mm Artillery
6th Cavalry Brigade(+): xthetenth - Role: Recon, Vanguard; Attachments: 1x Cavalry Company

Plan Pinot Noir
22nd Division Organization
96th Brigade: Tehan - Role: Assault; Attachments: Cavalry
97th Brigade: Hunt11 - Role: Maneuver, Overwatch; Attachments: 6x 75mm Artillery, Engineers
98th Brigade: AbortRetryFail - Role: Assault; Attachments:
99th Brigade: Loel - Role: Manuever, Flank Protection; Attachments: 3x 75mm Artillery
6th Cavalry Brigade: xthetenth - Role: Recon, Vanguard; Attachments: N/A

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Roll20 name is Bacarruda.

Sixkiller
Mar 2, 2015

Sanguine Sanguinary
Roll20 name is Raj Gurung (or Sixkiller).

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
On roll20 as Slim Jim.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

xthetenth posted:

The outskirts length given is 50mm, is that getting rounded to 2 inches?

The Outskirts are the precise width of a unit in base contact with the edge of a town and they only exist when a unit specifically declares it is inside them. Things that perhaps should have gone in the rules posts, vol. 211...

edit: since someone else asked in the other thread, the railway has no in-game mechanical use. Trains would not have been run anywhere remotely close to where there might possibly perhaps maybe be fighting.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 12, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

The Outskirts are the precise width of a unit in base contact with the edge of a town and they only exist when a unit specifically declares it is inside them. Things that perhaps should have gone in the rules posts, vol. 211...

Okay, so a unit with a flat edge of its base in contact with the town that declare they're in them is in the outskirts? Gotcha.

(Making note of this, this makes artillery exceedingly inconvenient to make work with outskirts).

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 11, 2017

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

confirming that i am in the roll20

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

ARFLORD on Roll20 (98th Brigade)

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Staff Officers!

6th Division needs an official cartographer to assist with MS Paint related duties, as currently my maps are as ugly as the enemy!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Hacker voice Im in

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

thatbastardken posted:

Staff Officers!

6th Division needs an official cartographer to assist with MS Paint related duties, as currently my maps are as ugly as the enemy!

Staff officer F. Movitz reporting for duty, how can I be of assistance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Rules Question

Is vision shared between all companies in a brigade?

E.g. On a completely empty map, If I have a field gun set up and have infantry in front of it that can spot a non-firing, stationary enemy, can the field gun fire on them if it is in firing range (even though it cannot see them itself)?

• Locked thread