Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Phoneposting because boche saboteurs and/or the lp curse have claimed my PSU. Will hopefully be back online within a day or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

General Mon Pere, Corps Commander

:siren:THESE ARE MY ORDERS TO THE IV CORPS:siren:

The scout aircraft is to deploy to the following location at the earliest opportunity:

Corps assets are assigned as follows:
  • 6th Cavalry Brigade -> 22nd Division
  • 119th Brigade, 120th Brigade -> 6th Division
  • 2 155mm guns, 4 75mm guns -> 22nd Division
  • 8 75mm guns -> 6th Division

General Tebeka, your 6th Division is given the following objectives:

Primary:
  • Secure La Cote and Baguend.
  • Advance on and capture Saint Croissant in conjuction with the 22nd Division.
  • Secure Saint Croissant and advance on Faibleimpot.
Secondary:
  • Secure Baguette.
  • Protect 22nd Division's North flank.
Tertiary:
  • Secure the Northeast and advance on Pasteur Ridge.
  • Kill as many Boche as possible.
  • Survive.

General Bacarrette, your 22nd Division is given the following objectives:

Primary:
  • Secure Clemenceau and establish artillery overwatch on St. Croissant from there.
  • Advance on and capture Saint Croissant in conjunction with the 6th Division.
  • Press West and advance on Faibleimpot.
Secondary:
  • Advance your cavalry brigade towards St. Croissant as rapidly as possible, and set it up in an advantageous position for an assault or ambush somewhere in the general vicinity.
  • Establish presence on Dejeneur Ridge after St. Croissant is taken.
Tertiary:
  • Establish presence Dejeneur Ridge before St. Croissant is taken.
  • Kill as many Boche as possible.
  • Survive.

Vive la France! En avant!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
And now some out of character clarifications:

I didn't include any map other than for the spotter on purpose. The orders above don't exist in a vacuum. Please apply everything we've discussed so far, and feel free to consult the rest of the players if something isn't 100% clear to you - don't be a literal genie. For example, from our discussions it's clear that the two 155mm artillery chits should go to whichever brigade you assign to hold the Clemencau foothils, and the brigade in question should deploy its guns on the edge of the hill, and the infantry in front them on lower altitude, so that the guns can reach St. Croissant, even though the orders don't say this explicitly. But beyond this example, I'm not going to go into specifics of things like this because then I'd be playing the game in your stead, and nobody wants that.

Some minor directions I wish to give to you: Have a clear role in mind for each of your brigades, and assign assets to them accordingly. Take into account the possible Boche deployments discussed earlier when making your plans. Have alternatives prepared, and consider placing yoursef in optimal positions for ease of communication with your brigadiers and the HQ. We're going to encounter the Germans earlier than we planned, that's 100% certain. Keep that in mind. Try to design your orders to be as resistant to that as possible, while considering opportunities to disrupt the enemy in the same way. At the same time, keep in mind that they may well not show up where we expect them, and try to include an option to exploit this if possible.

Brigade Generals, please pay close attention to what your brigade should be doing, and tailor your formation accordingly. Feel free to ask other players for advice. Even getting just one extra figure to shoot at the enemy is an important gain.
Talk to each-another, and try to combine your plans. The Division General has the first and final word, but that doesn't mean you can't get the second.

As for any codewords that you may establish for messages, I suggest beers for spotting the enemy. Czech beers, Polish beer, maybe an American beer. If you spot something elite-looking, I hear Danish beers are nice and cold this time of the year.

To make things easier for the observers, try to include more information about who you are, where you are, and what you are doing into your post.

Carefully read the rules again

Have fun. :) I probably won't have much of a say beyond this point, at least until something major happens in the battle.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Général de Division Tebeka

Finalized order of battle:

• Division HQ, thatbastardken - Role: Command and Control, Link to Corps HQ
  • 52nd Brigade, Comrade Koba - Role: Scouting, Attack, Maneuver - Divisional Cavalry, 1x Corps 75mm Gun
  • 53rd Brigade, sixkiller - Role: Attack, Maneuver - 1x Corps 75mm Gun
  • 54th Brigade, Hephasto - Role: Attack, Vanguard- No Attachments
  • 55th Brigade, sullat - Attack, Support - 9x Divisional 75mm gun,
  • 119th (Reserve) Brigade, lenoon - Defense, Support - Divisional Engineers, 3x Corps 75mm Gun
  • 120th (Reserve) Brigade, Arbite - Defense, Support - 3x Corps 75mm Gun

Gentlemen. 6th Division are in the honorable position of being most likely first to face the foe today. General Mon Pere relies on us to hold the north and pave the way for our bold comrades in the 22nd to smash the foe with their counterattack. The blood of our martyrs shall water the meadows of France. Your orders are in these perfumed envelopes, on stationary purchased at vast expense. Go, do your duty.

And as always, Kill Hitler.

All Brigades:

• If in contact with the enemy, hold position and attack with support where possible
  • Preserve your forces - not to the point of timidity, but be mindful of the circumstances
  • If your situation appears critical, you may withdraw to Clemenceau or La Cote, but no further.

52nd Brigade Objectives
  • Scout and secure La Cote Ridge
  • If La Cote is threatened, destroy enemy forces, then move into the forest south of Pasteur ridge
  • Reinforce or support the assault on Saint Croissant
  • Secure St Croissant against counter attack
  • (secondary) Maintain contact with 53rd Brigade

53rd Brigade Objectives:
  • Secure La Cote Ridge
  • If La Cote is threatened, destroy enemy forces, then move into Baguette village
  • Reinforce or support the assault on Saint Croissant
  • Secure Baguette against counter attack
  • (secondary) Maintain contact with 52nd Brigade

54th Brigade Objectives:

• Make best speed to Bois de Baguette
  • Assault and secure Saint Croissant - this attack is to be coordinated with elements of 22nd Division, and must take place no later than 1200 hours
  • Once Saint Croissant is secure proceed to Veine village,
  • Once Veine is secured attack overland to secure Faibleimpot.
  • (secondary) Maintain contact with 55th

55th Brigade Objectives:

• Make best speed to Baguette village
  • Use artillery to deny Pasteur ridge to the enemy
  • Use artillery to support 54th assault on Saint Croissant/
  • Once Saint Croissant is secured follow 54th to Veine Village, supporting and reinforcing as necessary.
  • Once Veine is secured follow 54th to Faibleimpot, supporting and reinforcing as necessary.
  • (secondary) Maintain contact with 54th

119th Reserve Brigade Objectives

• Proceed to La Cote ridge south, following 52nd brigade
  • Reinforce or support any action to secure La Cote Ridge
  • Once the ridge is secure, occupy Baguende and the southern ridge
  • Entrench and fortify that position
  • Hold until relieved.
  • (secondary) Maintain contact with 120th

120th Reserve Brigade Objectives:

• Proceed to La Cote ridge north, following 53rd brigade
  • Reinforce or support any action to secure La Cote Ridge
  • Once the ridge is secure, occupy the northern ridge
  • Entrench and fortify that position
  • Hold until relieved.
  • (secondary) Maintain contact with 119th

Divisional HQ objectives:
  • Occupy Livredepot until 10am
  • Move to Baguende
  • Occupy Baguende

maps, because apparently some big babies refuse to go to war without visual aids:

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 14, 2017

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

ooc - this is subject to some further deliberation, just wanted to get something out so my brigade commanders can start planning.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

:siren: Brigade Orders, Automatic Orders, Runners, and Other Associated and Miscellaneous Crap :siren:

Right then. First I owe thanks to everyone in both sides' Roll20 for letting me talk at them for a while yesterday, which has really helped me nail down the flaws in the original presentation of the rules and get them closer to what I was intending. I'll go back and revise the original rules now.

HOW TO WRITE BRIGADE ORDERS

You must include a map with an arrow indicating how your forces will move. The arrow is non-negotiable. I cannot properly adjudicate moves without an arrow. Any orders without an arrow are invalid and will fail.

You should include pictures of all Battle Order formations you wish to use (or at least a link to them; perhaps Corps HQ could collate a list of formations that everyone could refer to and not clog their orders up with too many images?). You may use more than one at various points; transitioning from one formation to another occurs "on the move". Any orders given without reference to a formation shall use the default formation.

You should tell me what the brigade is to do when it arrives at its finishing point, and you are encouraged to be as exact as possible about the final location of Brigade HQ. When a brigade arrives at the finishing point of its orders it will automatically switch to Defend, and entrench itself.

Conditionals

It is allowed to include in your orders a condition for your brigade to follow: for instance "If an enemy is sighted, retreat in direction X; otherwise, continue to [TOWN_NAME]." However, please remember that I have a lot of brigades to move around the board. The more complicated your orders, the more conditions they include, the more likely I am to misunderstand something, forget a particular permutation, or implement the orders in a way other than you intended. I will not re-adjudicate turns if this happens; you are responsible for giving clear orders.

You may not use conditionals to vary the Standing Orders or override game rules, such as the firing Order of Priority. It is invalid to, for instance, order infantry companies to "Fire first on artillery, then on machine guns"; they will always obey the rules. There is one exception: I will in certain situations accept "Hold your fire unless..." orders if, for instance, you want to fully bait the enemy into a trap before firing on them.

Breaking Off

It is permissible to, when writing a Change of Orders, give orders for "Break Off and then move as follows:" you will switch to Attack at the end of the break-off and move accordingly. You may not write a break-off conditional in your initial orders. However, if you break off due to a Standing Order, your men lose their orders, automatically switch to Defend stance, and must receive a Change of Orders to move again.

Attack and Defend stance, and obligatory movement

As a general principle: an infantry company on Attack must move its full movement on every turn. An MG or artillery company must move its full movement unless there is an enemy company within firing range, in which case it stops to fire. All three types of company must remain stationary on Defend stance.

These rules are interpreted very loosely when a brigade arrives at a point where it intends to stay; as long as the brigade is coming to a stop, it's permitted to have e.g. companies who arrived at their final point last turn, who do not move on this turn, while other companies are still moving into their final positions because they lacked the movement to make it all the way last turn.

Standing Orders

Standing Orders cover the following common situations. When the condition is triggered, the brigade automatically reacts as specified without the need for intervention by you. If you've played isometric RPGs like Baldur's Gate, think of them as being kind of like auto-pause settings.

Please note that you may not add extra Standing Orders, or change the options available to you. If what you want to do is not listed below, you are not setting a Standing Order, you're adding a conditional to your orders. They're at risk of being disregarded or misinterpreted if you've put them in with your Standing Orders.

The list of Standing Orders is as follows. If you do not explicitly set a Standing Order, it automatically is set to the default. It is always best to use the wording that I give here.

Default order
Optional order

quote:

When sighting an enemy on Attack stance:

Keep moving along original path
Turn and move directly towards enemy
Halt and switch to Defend orders.

If you select "turn and move", a new arrow will be drawn pointing directly at the enemy and your formation turns to face its new direction. Once no enemy companies remain in spotting range, your brigade will move back towards the path of its original movement arrow, re-adopt my closest approximation of your original formation, and continue moving towards its destination. (This, and all procedures, assumes that you have not in the meantime made a Change of Orders.)

quote:

When attacking the enemy:

Launch a Bayonet Charge / Cavalry Charge
Use rifle fire

Brigades default to charging, but may advance using rifle fire if you want. Brigades on Defend orders must remain stationary and use rifle fire to defend themselves. Only rifle companies charge; MG and artillery companies remain stationary and support the charge.

quote:

When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed:

Pursue the enemy
Do not pursue

The brigade suspends its original orders and chases after the retreating companies until they're no longer spottable. The same rule for returning to its original arrow applies to automatic pursuit as it does for "turn and move" up above - the pursuit continues until the enemy is gone and then you return to your original orders. The Senlac Hill Rule says that Brigades on Defend stance do not pursue retreats regardless of this setting; to do that you need a Change of Orders and a switch to Attack stance. You cannot tempt a defender out of good defensive positions by attacking and immediately breaking off to trigger a Standing Order; if a brigade is going to do that, it needs a human to order it.

quote:

Break Off automatically when:

1/4 casualties are taken
1/2 casualties are taken
2/3 casualties are taken
3/4 casualties are taken
Fight to the last man

This is to allow Brigades to set how aggressive they want to be. As mentioned above, Brigades which Break Off due to a Standing Order switch to Defend and require a Change of Orders before they can move again.

You may not add new Standing Orders or alter these orders.

[SUPERCEDED INFORMATION ABOUT RUNNERS HAS BEEN REMOVED]

I do believe I'm done. Feel free to keep asking questions, but hopefully all the big holes are closed and now we're just looking at edge cases.

edit: At General Mon Pere's chateau, the telephone rings...

The Goon With The Pointiest Hat Of Them All posted:

Hello? Yes, hello? Is this the French field telephone? How splendid! Would you kindly get me the corps commander? Yes?

Hello? This is Ze Germans. We are calling to confirm the receipt of leaflets and we wanted to say gently caress you very much. We could have answered in kind, but there is this awkward fact that you lot can't read. You are also ugly. We are informed that your collective wives are of a Cricetinaeid persuasion, no doubt causing problems for your prospective offspring down the line. We also hear you personally, kind Sir, broadcast olfactory sensations of sambucus, but this we shall verify when the day is done and you're safe as our guest.

If you would kindly switch us to your field 2600 baud fax, that would be wonderful, we have an image to send.

One moment...

Good night and die in a fire.

The speaker identified himself as Generalleutnant Tevery Spitzehut Unhofflichmann Beste von Polieren.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 9, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
EXAMPLE FORMATION:

This is an idea of a formation for advancing when there's a risk of being flanked from the right side. Notice that it is relatively compact, that the second row can fire through the gaps in the front row, and that the staggered deployment allows the frontal chits an increased angle of fire to engage enemies coming from otherwise problematic angles. The artillery is place in such a way as to be able to shoot in any direction. The guns could have actually been somewhat closer to each-other if the assumption is that the enemy won't come from the direction they're blocking each-other in. The machine gun can shoot through your own chits without problems. The command and artillery chits are placed in such a way to both maximize their relevant range and protect them as much as possible from infantry fire.
In theory, every single chit other than the commander would be able to shoot at an enemy attacking directly from the front in the final pre-bayonet phase of shooting)

THIS IS NOT A FORMATION YOU WANT TO BE PERFORMING GLORIOUS BAYONET CHARGES WITH.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Ok I am back from a weekend of rugby and will be getting on the roll d20 and doing all that sort of thing as soon as I return to my computer messenger pigeon coop

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Trin Tragula posted:

The speaker identified himself as Generalleutnant Tevery Spitzehut Unhofflichmann Beste von Polieren.

I say he doesn't have a pointy hat at all, he's probably a back rank artillerist with a decidedly non-sharp Kugelhelm, rather than a proper pointy helmet like someone with elan.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Général de brigade Comrade Koba

Orders for 52nd Brigade

Brigade will enter the field deployed in the formation below:

Brigade will then march towards La Cote, as indicated by the arrow. Cavalry company will move ahead of the main column and scout the advance.

Upon reaching the objective, the brigade will take up positions on the easternwestern half of La Cote, as pictured below.

Brigade will defend La Cote until any nearby enemy units have been destroyed or driven off.

When La Cote is deemed to be secure, the brigade will first move into the forest northeast of Baguette. When this area is secured, the brigade will march on towards Saint Croissant.

The brigade will take up positions in the city and on its western side. The cavalry company and three infantry companies will set up in Bois de Gooneville to defend against any flanking maneuvers.

Standing orders

When sighting an enemy on Attack stance: Keep moving along original path
When attacking the enemy: Use rifle fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Pursue the enemy
Break Off automatically when: 2/3 casualties are taken

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Feb 15, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

:siren: ATTN. ALL BRIGADE COMMANDERS :siren:

Comrade Koba posted:

Orders for 52nd Brigade

Brigade will then march towards La Cote, as indicated by the arrow. Cavalry company will move ahead of the main column and scout the advance.

Upon reaching the objective, the brigade will take up positions on the eastern half of La Cote, as pictured below.

Standing orders

See this? This is good. Do your orders just like this.

edit: Corps commanders, please check your players are still present, there is a distinct lack of activity for there needing to be 9 brigadiers all hashing out their orders

edit edit: here is your telephone map

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 13, 2017

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Still here, will put up orders tomorrow after work. Deadline is 2/15, right?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Deadline is on thursday, but do try to get it done by late wednesday, since then we're going into emergency mode and trying to get replacements for people who aren't being active at that point.

Feel free to ask for help doing formations or something if you're pressed for time. I'm sure someone will help you.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Comrade Koba posted:

Orders for 52nd Brigade

Upon reaching the objective, the brigade will take up positions on the eastern half of La Cote, as pictured below.

Standing orders

Good formating, but you're taking the wrong route north. Please check with Staff Officer Slim Pickens for remedial orienteering.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

"UP AND AT'EM UP AND AT'EM"

Initial Positions

99th Brigade shall follow the cavalry west to Clemenceau
99th Brigade has road priority after cavalry, but before anyone else

Final Positions. Unit shall dig in here.
Enemy units will be fired upon as sighted

Standing orders

When attacking the enemy: Use rifle / MG / artillery fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Fire from dug in positions, artillery fire support

Once other brigades advance into Croissant, non-artillery units shall advance and support.
Artillery will remain on the ridgeline and support by fire.

Like so

Standing orders

When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Infantry advance by fire, Artillery fire from ridgeline

Once Croissant is taken, artillery will move to the new location

When ordered, 99th will fire on Pastuer Ridge, OR advance into Bois de Goonville to support attack on Le Sanglant Femme

When order is given, Brigade will advance up Le Sanglant Femme

When order is given, Brigade will prepare for assault on Faibleimpot

When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Infantry advance by fire, Artillery fire from emplacements
Companies shall deploy in such a manner that they can fire upon the enemy
The above rule takes precedent over the broad stroke maps.

Tactical doctrine

Loel fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 14, 2017

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

thatbastardken posted:

Good formating, but you're taking the wrong route north. Please check with Staff Officer Slim Pickens for remedial orienteering.

Yes, in order to make our generous timetable, 52e Brigade must deploy in Battle order, and make for positions in and West of Baguende, as shown in these initial deployment maps. Afterwards, they will either advance westwards in accordance to 6th division standing orders, or sight Boche and prepare to repulse the hun!

Failure to abide by these deployments may result in your brigades being delayed in their advance, denying them the glory of a proper assault under fire!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Also, please remember to post FULL orders for your brigade, not just up to their first checkpoint.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

l'Sabbat Noir posted:

Généraux réunis dans leurs masses
Tout comme les sorcières aux masses noires
Les esprits maléfiques qui tracent la destruction
Sorciers de la construction de la mort
Dans les champs, les corps brûlent
Comme la machine de guerre tourne
Mort et haine envers l'humanité
Envenimer leurs cerveaux
Oh seigneur oui!
Les politiciens se cachent
Ils ont seulement commencé la guerre
Pourquoi devraient-ils sortir pour se battre?
Ils laissent ce rôle aux pauvres
Ouais
Le temps parlera de leur pouvoir
Faire la guerre juste pour s'amuser
Traiter les gens comme des pions dans les échecs
Attendez que leur jour du jugement arrive
Ouais!
Maintenant dans l'obscurité, le monde s'arrête
Cendres où brûlent les corps
Plus de porcs de guerre ont le pouvoir
La main de Dieu a frappé l'heure
Journée de jugement, Dieu appelle
Sur les genoux, le cochon de guerre rampe
Mendier la miséricorde pour leurs péchés
Satan riant écarte ses ailes
Oh seigneur oui!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

could all brigade commanders please confirm you have received your orders? a simple oui will suffice.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Bacarruda posted:

99th Brigade(+) will take Clemenceau with infantry and artillery and set up over-watch positions.
98th Brigade will assault Saint Croissant.
96th Brigade will assault the Bois de Gooneville.
97th Brigade(+) will scout the Le Oeuf with its attach cavalry company and then take the high ground. It will emplace artillery to overwatch St. Croissant and entrench using its engineers.

These are the orders I have received.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

98th Brigade, 22nd Division

I have not made any specific plans other than I am going to a farm at some point to make sure they are clear of horses, and even that is up in the air.

Since I am going to be attacking what is probably an enemy stronghold (St. Crossaints) I'm waiting on the detailed division plan (If there are more details coming).

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

AbortRetryFail posted:

98th Brigade, 22nd Division

I have not made any specific plans other than I am going to a farm at some point to make sure they are clear of horses, and even that is up in the air.

Since I am going to be attacking what is probably an enemy stronghold (St. Crossaints) I'm waiting on the detailed division plan (If there are more details coming).

Improvise forcefully in the general direction of the enemy.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I for one stand ready to give the lives of my men for the glory of France :black101:

More detailed orders to follow sometime today.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

thatbastardken posted:

could all brigade commanders please confirm you have received your orders? a simple oui will suffice.

non :v:

6ᵉ Cavalerie

(Is Loel just starting the 40k thing? If so, okay:)

Great, it's that time of war when I have to stop being dashing and trying to drink champagne from actresses' slippers, isn't it? Oh well, I guess I need to show elan and initiative in orders. To avoid insubordination, I'm merely confirming my place in barracuda's well known plan (also I would like confirmation from the gentlemen in timetables)

Confirming with the staff regarding the timetable:

At my second turn I'm going to be close to/in Clemenceau with sightlines roughly like so:

So that'll let me react if they've brought cavalry down from the Veine road and go for La Oeuf instead of getting murdered in Fraise-Champs, correct? The other possible deployment I could spot is through the Nainville road en route to Baguette, in which case I'm going to be setting up for attacks from the east instead of a mixed deployment, correct?

Then at the end of the third turn I'll be at the T-junction marked in light blue on the picture, and potentially getting some vision. By that point I'll be deploying into battle formation and thus committed, right? Or is it a matter of if I spot enemies deploy to that position rather than into Fraise-champs?

Finally if they haven't shown, I'm going to get into Fraise-Champs, am I also putting a company into Saint-Croissant outskirts to give them a harder time as well as setting up the whole rest of the formation in Fraise-Champs for cover?

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 14, 2017

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Tehan posted:

I for one stand ready to give the lives of my men for the glory of France :black101:

More detailed orders to follow sometime today.

excellent, please pop in to the roll20 when you can.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
Orders will be up soon. Sorry for the delay.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Bacarruda posted:

Orders will be up soon. Sorry for the delay.

I have scouted the orders, mon general!

(It's fine, I only got home like an hour ago)

Edit:

Looks like I'm going to be working with three conditionals:

1 - Spot German cav at turn 2, deploy somewhere else.
2 - Spot German inf coming from bouclecourt at turn 2, deploy somewhere else
3 - Spot German inf in gooneville at turn 3, turn 180 and march away
Or otherwise deploy in Fraise-champs

Somewhere else is going to be La Oeuf barring something unanticipated, partially because it's the next best and partially to avoid flowchart bloat when I try to figure out orders for after initial contact.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 14, 2017

Hephasto
Oct 11, 2007
I agree, I agree, it's all about that skreee.
Orders for the 54ème Brigade

The 54th enters the map near Dallas.

It then proceeds to advance towards the Bois de Baguette as depicted below:

Upon nearing the Eastern edge of the Bois de Baguette, the brigade will assume the following combat formation:

The 54th will then to proceed West, pausing at the other edge of the wood (Bois de Baguette). At this point:

If St. Croissant is clear, the 54th will advance on the town.
Otherwise, the 54th will hold their attack until 11:30am/Turn 9, 22nd Div. elements start moving on the town, or the 55th brigade begins assaulting the town (whichever comes first).

Once St. Croissant is clear, the 54th will advance north via the eastern side of the railway towards the town of Veine, keeping pace with the 55th brigade. Once the town is reached, the 54th will assault the town and clear it of all enemy elements.

After the enemy has been driven from Veine, the 54th will advance West towards Faibleimpot and assault the town.

Automatic orders:

When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Do not pursue
Break Off automatically when: 3/4 casualties are taken

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
:siren:55th Brigade's orders:siren:

We march onto the map, in battle stance, singing la Marseillaise like so:

The brigade's band strikes up a jaunty tune as we head NW across the fields of la France towards Baguette.

If the vile Hun is spotted sacking the town of Baguette, we deploy like so. Once the artillery has delivered 75 mm justice to the Boche, we will advance into the town to sweep out the remainder.

If no Germans are spotted in Baguette, and/or once the town is cleared of the Hun, we switch to defensive stance and take up positions in and around Baguette like so. Manhandling the artillery into position if necessary. Placing some of the artillery on the W outskirts of the town.

Like true Gentlemen, we will graciously allow the 54th to assault the town while we provide fire support. Once they have finished this task, and no living Germans are in sight, we will limber up the artillery, switch to attack stance and head North, keeping pace with the 54th, like so.

If the enemy is spotted on Pasteur ridge, we will stop, switch to defensive stance, allow the artillery to unlimber in position to shell the enemy into oblivion. Otherwise, we will continue on to Veine and support the 54th's attack like so, switching to defensive stance. It is anticipated that all companies will still be with us thanks to our superior elan and the enemy's uncertain moral fibre, but if not, the position can be condensed somewhat.

Standing orders
When sighting an enemy on attack stance, switch to defend.
When attacking an enemy use rifle fire.
When an enemy company breaks off, do not pursue.
Break off at 1/2 casualties.

Conditional orders
It is anticipated that we shall be in Baguette by lunchtime; I shall set up my BHQ in the finest restaurant still standing. I will have roast duck in orange sauce, paired with a fine merlot. If duck is not available, then I will have the veal cutlets cooked with apple, and of course, lightly seared asparagus on the side. Assuming the battle for St. C is won, I shall regretfully go without dessert; if the battle continues for some time, I will have crepe suzette with a glass of brandy. Two if time allows.

sullat fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 16, 2017

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

thatbastardken posted:

quote:

52nd Brigade Objectives

Scout and secure La Cote Ridge
If La Cote is threatened, destroy enemy forces, then move into the forest south of Pasteur ridge
Reinforce or support the assault on Saint Croissant
Secure St Croissant against counter attack
(secondary) Maintain contact with 53rd Brigade

These were the orders given; no particular route to the objective was specified.

In the future, try to include any specifics with the orders so us brigade commanders don't have to flip through the entire thread and double check the Roll20 to make sure we didn't miss something. :)

Will try to amend the orders, but I'm not sure I'll have the time to do it today.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Général de Division Bacarruda

SITUATION
German Forces have crossed the border into France. They are making for the vital crossroads of SAINT CROISSANT.

Enemy Forces:
Unknown. Expect a Corps-sized enemy formation (2 divisions + support assets), with up to a division of enemy reinforcements.

Friendly Forces:

22ND DIVISIONS’S Order of Battle will be as follows.
Division HQ: Bacarruda
96th Brigade: Tehan
97th Brigade(+): Hunt11 - Attachments: 7x 75mm Artillery (2 Divisional, 2 Corps), Cavalry
98th Brigade: AbortRetryFail
99th Brigade(+): Loel - Attachments: 6x 75mm Artillery (4 Divisional, 2 Corps) 2x 155mm Howitzers (Corps), Engineers
6th Cavalry Brigade: xthetenth

MISSION
We are the left Flank of IV CORP’S advance on ST. CROISSANT and FAIBLEMPOT. Our missions are as follows:
1. Locate Enemy forces
2. Secure the CLEMENCEAU RIDGE
3. Secure LE OUEF
4. Secure SAINT CROISSANT
5. Secure BOIS DE GOONEVILLE
6. Secure LA SANGLANT FEMME
7. Secure FAIBLEMPOT
8. Destroy enemy forces

EXECUTION
Here are the basic tasks for each Brigade:

6th Cavalry Brigade: will observe SAINT CROISSANT and attempt to secure FRAIS-CHAMPS. If this is not feasible, they will provide fire support for 96th and 98th brigade’s assault.
99th Brigade(+) will take CLEMENCEAU with infantry and artillery and set up over-watch positions.
98th Brigade will assault SAINT CROISSANT.
96th Brigade will assault the BOIS DE GOONEVILLE.
97th Brigade(+) will scout the LE OEUF with its attach cavalry company and then take the high ground. It will emplace artillery to overwatch ST. CROISSANT and entrench using its engineers.

Before I give you more detailed instructions – here are some recommendations:

1. Post maps with all orders. Make sure the maps show where each individual unit will be deployed and have arrows that show the path of your units.

2. Have clear standing orders. Here is what I recommend
When sighting an enemy on Attack stance: Keep moving along original path.
When attacking the enemy: Use rifle/MG/artillery
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Assault units = pursue. Support/Overwatch Units = hold.
Break Off automatically when: ½ to around 2/3 casualties are taken

3. Auto-send runners in these situations:
If you take ½ casualties
Opening fire
Break Off or Suppressed Retreat
Failed Morale check
Complete your orders
Kill or capture and enemy runner

4. Use this (or something close to it) as your basic battle formation.

-----

Our operation will follow Ten Phases. Some phases will go into action automatically. All (or most) of others will commence only when I say so.

NOTE: I’ve included detailed notes about what battle order to use to cover our asses from the rules’ planning requirements --- this is not intended as a micromanagement. If you have a better idea about how to employ your Brigade and the rules permit it, by all means go ahead!

Phase 1 (T1): Deploy – DO AUTOMATICALLY

Deploy as marked.
6th CAV BRIGADE, 99thBRIGADEand 97th BRIGADE in MARCHING ORDER –moving along the road.
96th, 98th in BATTLE ORDER moving along the road.

Phase 2 (T3): MARCH – DO AUTOMATICALLY

DIV HQ – move to CLEMENCEAU VILLAGE. Make contact with IV CORPS HQ and 6th DIVISION HQ.
6th CAV BRIGADE move to the crossroads south of SAINT CROISSANT– if you take fire at this point, immediately fall back out of range and hold position.
96th BRIGADE and 98th BRIGADE move to the North-Western flank of CLEMENCEAU ridge en route to your assault jump-off positions.
97th BRIGADE move down the CLEMENCEAU ROAD en route to LE OEUF.
99th BRIGADE move towards the NW corner of CLEMENCEAU ridge.

Phase 3 (T5): Prepare – DO AUTOMATICALLY

DIV HQ – stay in CLEMENCEAU VILLAGE
6th CAV BRIGADE move to the FRAISE-CHAMPS FARM in BATTLE ORDER. Get your troops and artillery deployed so they can fire down the BOISE DE GOONEVILLE ROAD and at SAINT CROISSANT if you take fire at this point, immediately fall back out of range and hold position at the marked position.
96th BRIGADE and 98th BRIGADE get into a line abreast formation and prepare to assault SAINT CROISSANT.
97th BRIGADE.
99th BRIGADE deploy on the NW corner of CLEMENCEAU RIDGE. Make sure your artillery can fire on SAINT CROISSANT. Begin entrenching your guns on the ridge.

Phase 4 (~T7): Assault – DO AUTOMATICALLY, unless countermanded by my orders

DIV HQ [map is incorrect] stay in CLEMENCEAU VILLAGE
6th CAV BRIGADE support 96th and 98th Brigade’s assault with fire.
96th BRIGADE assault and take BOIS DE GOONEVILLE. If 98th BRIGADE takes 1/3 casualties – swtich the focus of your attack to SAINT CROISSANT. Unless you take 50% casualties, do not break off the attack.
98th BRIGADE assault and take SAINT CROISSANT. Unless you take 50% casualties, do not break off the attack.
97th BRIGADE get into BATTLE ORDER and take LE OEUF. I suggest you use your cavalry to scout LE OEUF.
99th BRIGADE support 96th and 98th BRIGADE’S attack with artillery fire.

Phase 5 (~T9): Seize – DO AUTOMATICALLY, unless countermanded by my orders

DIV HQ [map incorrect] – leave in CLEMENCEAU village.
6th CAV BRIGADE if 98th BRIGADE’S assault is doing well and they have taken SAINT CROISSANT, make sure you are in FRAISE-CHAMPS farm and can bring weapons to bear on the BOIS DE GOONEVILLE. If 98th BRIGADE’S assault has stalled – focus on providing fire support for them.
96th BRIGADE if 98th BRIGADE’S assault is doing well and they have taken SAINT CROISSANT, then attack the BOIS DE GOONEVILLE. If 98th BRIGADES assault has failed or needs help, focus on attacking and taking SAINT CROISSANT.
98th BRIGADE assault and take SAINT CROISSANT.
97th BRIGADE get all your artillery on the DEJUENNER RIDGE and provide artillery support for the attacking brigades. Consider sending your cav to scout BRIOCHE.
99th BRIGADE if feasible, leave your artillery on the CLEMENCEAU RIDGE to provide fire support. Move your infantry forwards towards SAINT CROISSANT to support these assault there.

Phase 6 (~T11): Push – DO AUTOMATICALLY, unless countermanded by my orders

DIV HQ – move to SAINT CROISSANT
6th CAV BRIGADE – move into the BOIS DE GOONEVILLE. If you hear heavy firing to your eastern flank – get on the eastern flank of the forest and train your artillery on PASTEUR RIDGE. If not, stay on the western side of the forest.
96th BRIGADE and 98th BRIGADE –- move into the BOIS DE GOONEVILLE and get your weapons trained on LA SANGLANT FEMME.
97th BRIGADE – move up some men and guns to BRIOCHE and so they can scout and fire on BOIS DE HAUTE. Keep some forces on LE OUEF.
99th BRIGADE – move into SAINT CROISSANT. If you hear heavy firing on your eastern flank and there is enough space, deploy your men and guns into SAINT CROISSANT to fire on PASTEUR RIDGE.

Phase 7 (~13): Rally – DO AUTOMATICALLY, unless countermanded by my orders

DIV HQ [map incorrect] stay in SAINT CROISSANT
6th CAV BRIGADE deploy in the BOIS DE GOONVILLE. If there is fighting to our east. If you hear heavy firing to your eastern flank – get on the eastern flank of the forest and train your artillery on PASTEUR RIDGE. If not, deploy on the western edge of the forest and be prepared to support 96th and 98th BRIGADE'S coming attack on LA SANGLANTE FEMME.
96th BRIGADE and 98th BRIGADE -- prepare to assault LA SANGLANTE FEMME. 98th BRIGADE, make room for 99th BRIGADE to deploy their guns at the northern edge of the forest.
97th BRIGADE secure BRIOCHE and get your men moving on the BOIS DE HAUTE. Make sure your guns can support your attack. If you come under fire, keep moving forwards.
99th BRIGADE get your guns deployed on the edge of the BOIS DE GOONEVILLE, ready to support 96th and 98th BRIGADE'S attack.

Phase 8 (~14): -- ONLY DO WHEN ORDERED (except for 97th BRIGADE -- for you, go unless ordered to stop).

DIV HQ -- stay in SAINT CROISSANT
6th CAV BRIGADE get your guns and men into a position to support 96th and 98th BRIGADES' attack on the LA SANGLANTE FEMME.
96th BRIGADE and 98th BRIGADE -- When I give you the order -- assault LA SANGLANTE FEMME
97th BRIGADE assault BOIS DE HAUTE.
99th BRIGADE provide support by fire to 96th and 98th BRIGADE. Be prepared to send your infantry into the fight to support their attack.

Phase 9:

DIV HQ -- move to LA SANGLANTE FEMME
6th CAV BRIGADE -- secure LA SANGLANTE FEMME.
96th BRIGADE and 98th BRIGADE -- secure LA SANGLANTE FEMME.
97th BRIGADE -- secure BOIS DE HAUTE.
99th BRIGADE -- move up LA SANGLANTE FEMME and get your guns on the crest. Be prepared to fire towards PASTEUR RIDGE or towards FAILBLEMPOT

Phase 10:

ALL UNITS - get in battle line and move towards FAIBLEMPOT.

COMMAND AND COMMUNICATIONS
Please note where my division HQ will be during each phase of the operation – make sure your runners know where to find me at all times.

To avoid the enemy from getting too much information if they capture a runner, use these code words:

Unit Names
  • Napoleon – Division HQ
  • Grouchy – 96th Brigade
  • Soult – 98th Brigade
  • Ney -- 98th Brigade
  • Massena – 99th Brigade
  • Murat -- 6th Cavalry Brigade

Actions
  • Attack – Austerlitz
  • Defend – Leipzig
  • Move -- Borodino
  • Battle Order – Grenadier
  • Marching Order – Chasseur

Locations

• Clemenceau – Breakfast
  • St. Croissant – Lunch
  • Bois de Gooneville – Dinner
  • Frais-Champs – Stables
  • Le Oeuf – Le Teton
  • Dejeunner – Mademoiselle
  • Brioche – Cheese Factory
  • La Sanglante Femme – Matterhorn
  • Bois de Haute – Le Paul Bunyan
  • Veine – Hamlet
  • Faiblempot – Kitchen

QUESTIONS?

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Feb 14, 2017

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Bacarruda posted:

EXECUTION
Here are the basic tasks for each Brigade. Do not expect these missions

You seem to have trailed off here, general.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Général de Brigade Téhan, 96th Brigade

Phase 1 - est T1:
With maximum elan, the glorious 96th will form up in the L'espace Envahisseur formation as outlined below and advance in battle formation through the woods, and then head towards a position just next to the farm of Fraise-champs. Note the final position will be within rifle range of the town; they will fire upon any enemy sighted thereby.

It is expected that the time elapsed at this point will be three hours after the commencement of battle, but delays and setbacks occur to us all. If the time is not yet three point five hours after the commencement of battle (turn 7), we shall wait until that point, exchanging fire with any vile Boche in the town and forcing them to reveal themselves to artillery fire. Once that point is reached, or if it is already past that point when we finish those movements, we will move on to Phase 2. At this point, the standing order for attacking changes to bayonet charges.

Phase 2 - est T7:
The 96th Brigade will head north and swivel west around the farm, reforming to match this formation:

At this point, we shall exchange fire with any perfidious Boche we have the misfortune of clapping our French eyes upon. The weight of incoming fire will decide our next move. Should there no longer be any foul German lead pouring from Saint Croissant, or should our brother regiment of the 98th be above 2/3 of their original number, then the 96th will perform a bayonet charge into the Bois de Gooneville forest as outlined in phase 2a. Otherwise, phase 2b will be performed.

Phase 2a - est T8:

This charge shall continue until the 96th run out of either men to do the charging or forest to charge through. Should there be no enemy troops in the forest to perforate with French steel, then a standard march will be sufficient. Should casualties make this exact formation impossible, priority will be given to placing the riflemen screening the machine gun. After this, phase 4 begins, skipping phase 3 altogether.

Phase 2b - est T8:

Our men will swivel back towards the town of St Croissant and charge home with bayonets mounted, exchanging the croissants the foul invaders are no doubt feasting upon with a lean diet of cold steel. Again, in case of casualties, screening the machine gun has priority. Once any enemy on the outskirts are defeated, the troops will advance into the town proper and fall upon any enemies found within. After this, phase 3 begins.

Phase 3 - est T11:

If the 96th joined the assault on St Croissant, then it is possible, verging on likely, that the woods are still crawling with damnable Teutonics. As such, the 96th will charge forth from the town as such with bayonets still mounted and ideally already covered in the blood of invaders:

They shall advance through the forest until it is secured once more for the glory of France, at which point they will move on to Phase 4, as if they had assaulted the forest instead of the town in phase 2.

Phase 4 - est T11-T14:

Once the forest is taken, move to the following formation at the northern edge of the forest:

The brigade will shift to a defensive formation, fire at any foes unwise enough to be visible, entrench if we can see no foes, and await further orders. Should our brother regiment of the 98th have routed or be otherwise absent from the eastern side of the forest, the following alternate formation will be used instead:

Vive le France, gentlemen.

Standing orders:

When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Do not pursue
Break off automatically when: 3/4 casualties are taken

E: corrected a reference to a non-existent Phase 3a to Phase 4.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 15, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

[eliminated superceded stuff about runners]

edit:

Many Goons posted:

MGs that are in base contact with an infantry unit can fire as if they stood where that infantry unit does, but remain protected from enemy fire by the presence of said infantry.

This is a fine point that has confused people on both sides, so let's clarify it for both threads.

MGs can fire through friendly units at all times.

MGs in base-to-base contact with a Rifle Company only reckon their firing range from the rifle company if the MG is in a Wood or Trench; or if the MG is in a Town and its Rifle Company is in the Outskirts.

These MGs both get the Billy Bonus:

Only the bottom MG gets the Billy Bonus:

Please note that I use red chits as markers; they do not belong to any side, and if they accidentally get left on any map that you see, do not panic.

edit edit: in accordance with the battle theories of General Mon Pere, the default French formation is now as follows

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 1, 2017

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Comrade Koba posted:

These were the orders given; no particular route to the objective was specified.

In the future, try to include any specifics with the orders so us brigade commanders don't have to flip through the entire thread and double check the Roll20 to make sure we didn't miss something. :)

Will try to amend the orders, but I'm not sure I'll have the time to do it today.

No huge rush, I'll work on striking a balance between clear instructions and encouraging initiative.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Tehan posted:

Général de Brigade Téhan, 96th Brigade

Orders

Looks great! The conditionals look solid.

Vivre Le France!

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

TO: GEN. MON PERE, IV CORPS HQ

I just noticed this. Isn't he supposed to be in Morocco right now?

Also, what a character he was.

Wikipedia posted:

Lyautey has been called "perhaps France's most distinguished – or infamous – homosexual." Prime Minister Georges Clemenceau – whom Lyautey despised, as he did most politicians – joked that Lyautey was "an admirable and courageous man who always had balls up to his rear end. It's just a shame that they are not always his."

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

This is not quite the First World War as we remember it, so yes, in this reality General Lyautey did not go to Morocco. Similarly, the German army commander is one Kuno Augustus Friedrich Karl Detlev Graf von Moltke, who in OTL was sacked as military governor of Berlin after a journalist found out he was having it off with Prince Philipp of Eulenberg (to the point where Kuno's wife filed for divorce on the grounds that her husband was more interested in shagging Phillipp than her), one of the Kaiser's best friends and chief counsellors. The Great Goon War, however, takes place in very, very, very slightly more enlightened times.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Feb 14, 2017

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Edit: some stuff what was wrong was here

lenoon fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Feb 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

My original orders have been amended and extended.

• Locked thread