Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

we've done one failed comedy option, thats all the spectators get :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

:argh: More comedy options for the comedy god :argh:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Crazycryodude posted:

know whats funny? watching Boche walk into prepared gunlines.

always funny :D

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
The only orphaned brigade is the artillery that was under the 7th. IMO that can be folded under ARF's new division command to keep things simple.

That said, if we do jam the new units into the existing holes in our line it means that both our divisions are going to be spread out across the entire vertical length of the map. But I can't really think of a way to reshuffle units around without inviting disaster. Maybe we can take another look once the new units arrive, though.

If we're reorganizing our org chart, it might be a good idea to fold all the artillery under the command of a new all-artillery division, formalizing the ad-hoc communications that already exist between our artillery brigades.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 9, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Tehan posted:

The only orphaned brigade is the artillery that was under the 7th. IMO that can be folded under ARF's new division command to keep things simple.

If it can be done and the 7th Division HQ chit is decommissioned that is fine.

I think it's important we keep the artillery under the existing 8th and 9th divisions though rather than have an artillery division. Everyone clamoring at a single person for artillery support doesn't seem like a good idea.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There is a reason that Divisions have organic artillery units. Let's not go nuts re-inventing the square wheel.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Crazycryodude posted:

The lurkers demand blood

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Sorry I'm doing everything I can guys.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

i81icu812 posted:

The lurkers demand blood

Im happy to give them boche blood.

Day before deadline, lets get those orders in.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Nobody has anything to say about a Northern Attack?

Our defense plans are calling for the new brigades to squeeze into absurdly small frontages.

That's like, 8/20 chits if we pack them as closely as possible. It's totally wasteful, because engaged brigades will take fatigue points regardless of how many chits enter combat. Furthermore, it increases artillery casualties, and so far that's been the main source of German kills.

Ignore the other markings, just look at the pale boxes. This is about how much space one of our brigades needs to occupy a section of the frontline.

Even if we don't want to attack with the extra brigade, keep it in reserve or something instead of packing into the trenches like sardines.

Also seriously, no discussion of the Effyaders Woods attack plan?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Well, I dont think we can do much until the new troops arrive.

This turn: New troops get put in line
Next turn: Options for night attacks, feints, etc

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'd like X's guys to take that trench up north, after a barrage, if anyhow possible. We need to plug that gap.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

The exact placement Im leaving to the division commanders, but I do think this is a strong opening.

Get troops on the line, anticipate any enemy attacks, and prepare for our own assault.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
So I'll be shifting over to the southern trenches once the reinforcements arrive?

Although, maybe we should keep divisions together. Can join our buddies in the north, don't want to let them have all the fun of attacking enemy fortifications in the dark.

sullat fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 9, 2017

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

There is a reason that Divisions have organic artillery units. Let's not go nuts re-inventing the square wheel.

That's a good point. Once we've got a second division's worth of troops, we can split the map between the two and have each unit supporting their own division's troops.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

sullat posted:

So I'll be shifting over to the southern trenches once the reinforcements arrive?

Although, maybe we should keep divisions together. Can join our buddies in the north, don't want to let them have all the fun of attacking enemy fortifications in the dark.

If your commander wants you to walk all the way up there in the middle of an attack so be it.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I can't find it written anywhere so I ask again, what turn is the division arriving?

Edit: it's turn 40.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 10, 2017

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

AbortRetryFail posted:

I can't find it written anywhere so I ask again, what turn is the division arriving?

Edit: it's turn 40.

So we're just going to hang tight until the fresh troops come up next turn, right? Not going to leave the south undefended, and if nothing's doing up north, we needn't do much other than hope the enemy wastes his artillery on more empty trenches.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Thinking about it our best option may be for the fresh Division to take position in Foret de Effyaders relieving the fatigued units and allowing them to march south to shore up Bois de Blob. In this situation 25th Brigade would slide south to block the road and occupy the south-eastern corner of the wood, while 24th Brigade takes the northern chunk and fortifies back along the outskirts of the wood. 23rd Brigade, being rather battered, would retreat into the Vallee to provide security there. This would also ensure that all Brigade HQs are within range of a Divisional HQ placed in the region of Lenoon's battery and in the situation that we find ourselves wanting to advance on either flank we know we won't run into problems with failed order checks. We could send the fresh troops south instead, but it seems that the enemy is pushing hardest in the north of the field and the shift above might allow for some fatigue to be restored.

While we don't strictly need to conduct an offensive, or really to do anything other than let them die on our guns at this point, I think the spirit of the day compells us to think aggressively in the long term, so setting up for a concerted attack is the best option.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

my dad posted:

I'd like X's guys to take that trench up north, after a barrage, if anyhow possible. We need to plug that gap.

Agreed. I'll write up the artillery orders.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Maintain position, supporting fire. Let's roll them bones.

Conduct the following fire mission for 3 rounds. Blue indicates 60lb cannons, yellow is 18lb cannons.

Switch to the following pattern for the fire mission then continue for a further 2 rounds.

5 Rounds total fire. If the enemy advances out of the woods to assault the artillery directly, direct fire has priority.

pre:
Standing Orders

Override Ordered Fire to support friendly brigades?
Yes

Minimum number of fire missions remaining to use Supporting Fire

Break off automatically when enemy companies are Spotted within
Stay Where You Are
Fight Where You Are
Die Where You Are

When multiple requests for support are received, favour requests from
Nearest brigade

When two brigades issue requests for support
Support one brigade with all guns 

professor_curly fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 10, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
:siren:I'm authorizing emergency orders for my brigade, and also for xthetenth's.:siren: X's guys should listen for the start of the barrage, move into distance 2-3 inches from the enemy trench on turn 5 of bombardment, and charge the trench the turn after. Be BLOODY SURE to use turns of curly's fire as a reference, rather than time, otherwise we're in for some bad poo poo. On the turn X's guys move out, my guys should spread out to cover the whole trench system, staying in the commander's 16 inch radius (feel free to move the command chit a bit to cover them all). Keep the pickets as is.

I might be able to get my orders in time, but better to be safe than sorry.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Infantry Engineer 2: Once the wire is up head to the Vallee and await further orders.

Infantry Engineer 3: Build a series of trenches that connect the J trench to the bottom of the map.

Infantry Engineer 4: Set up a third piece of wire as indicated on the map.

Mounted Engineer 2: Connect the trench lines in the Vallee to those in Bois De Blob whilst making sure to leave two inches in between the trench and the gun pit.

Conditional orders: If Enemy forces come within sight range then the engineer will fall back and extend current trench lines.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 10, 2017

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
:siren:25th Brigade :siren:

Hold Tight.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

oh yeah I should probably remember to post and say that the adjudication's underway

edit: don't look for it before tomorrow

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 10, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Any idea when the next turn will be up?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

This can only mean everyone on the other side did a futile charge into our guns.

We win :D

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Or Bacc solo'd a brigade in the alleys and byways of La Dand.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

sullat posted:

Or Bacc solo'd a brigade in the alleys and byways of La Dand.

Very Metal Gear Solid.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Ramc posted:

Very Metal Gear Solid.
(observer here)

Metal Gear Rising: Reichvengeance

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

In the name of the Allies, we accept the Boche surrender. :D

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

In case there is no round of orders after this you can all appreciate the effort I went to in updating my banner for my new command.

You're welcome.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

AbortRetryFail posted:

In case there is no round of orders after this you can all appreciate the effort I went to in updating my banner for my new command.

You're welcome.

Excellent, I have just the mission for you :D

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Operation: Boil-Boche

This plan is predicated on the idea that there are no major changes in enemy activity this round.
Primary target is the eastern trenches of Effyaders.
Assets allocated: sixkiller, xthetenth, mydad
Fire support: professorcurly, lenoon
Conditional support: slimjim

This gives us 53 infantry, 4 MG in the primary assault
12x 18 lb and 4x 60 lb in fire support
20 infantry and 1 MG in the reserve force

It is my belief that this force can retake Effyanders before enemy reinforcements can support the target trenches.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The game is on suspension until next week, at least; I'm just too busy at the moment to run turns.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am sorry to hear that but thank you for giving us an update on the game status.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
No problem man, good luck with things.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Sounds good. Maybe we can figure out a way to play soccer between the threads while we're on break.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Based on conversations in chat:

We can assume that these are the last substantial reinforcements.
We know that theyve scattered at least two brigades to hunt for our wirecutters.
Their line is therefore thin, and we have a moment to take advantage.
If we dont commit to an attack, the current lines will probably remain as is.
This will probably be a tie.
Therefore, if we commit now and Im right, we have a major success. If Im wrong, we will lose a lot of troops. And if we dont commit, we are probably getting a tie.

Based on my logic (theyve thinned their lines to find wirecutters / their reinforcements wont get there in time) how likely do you think it is we can break them? :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

What I meant by my tie comment if that is what you are referring to, is that that is one possible argument for attacking now, but I don't think it is likely. Additionally, even if we metagame attack we do not know the actual scoring mechanism if there even is one. I don't think we should be worrying about ties and focus on not falling back too far while minimising casualties based on the circumstances.

For the thread record I think attacking now is a mistake and doing so may actually cause a tie due to the vagaries of a favourable outcome.

As I stated I'm fairly certain the majority consensus is to hold the line, but you are the commanding officer so we will do what you ask.

It doesn't matter too much since next update is going to turn everything on it's head like it always does anyway.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 15, 2017

• Locked thread