Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kangra
May 7, 2012

I just wanted to note that I'm here as a staff officer/observer, I'm just not able to make many contributions at this point. (By next week I'll have more time, so I'm long-term reserve / waking up from heavy hangover).

Although I will note to the 119th Reserve (lenoon), aren't you supposed to allow the main force to occupy Le Côte (and ensure that there aren't any enemy forces there) before moving up? If that's the case, you probably have to put your orders on a delay/pending a runner to Div HQ to okay the move.

And to the 56th Brigade (Koba?), you don't need your MG in the first rank unless you must have the range. It should be surrounded by infantry, since it can always fire through them, and it'll be less likely to be lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

So, this is highlight of all cities that rest on crossroads. I think its safe to say some/all of them will be enemy priorities.

These are possible entry points.

Path Red

Path Blue

Path Yellow

Path Purple

My personal hunch is a Blue or Yellow opening towards Saint Croissant/Graisse, but that can be disproved via cavalry in turn 3.

Loel fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 14, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

:frogsiren:WARNING:frogsiren:

Your artillery is completely blocked from firing North because the hilltop is in their way. To achieve the effect you want, line up your infantry on the lower altitude slope North, and place your artillery on the hilltop. Also, your brigade is a reserve brigade. You do not have 15 infantry chits.

Please read Trin's rules posts, and, in particular, the OP.

Your engineer should be laying down barbed wire. To do this, you need to A) actually order him to place barbed wire and B) have him run up to farms to grab some once his supply runs out.

Also, lenoon, did you follow the join link for roll20? I can't find you on the list of players, and because of how roll20 works, I need to GM you to allow you play around with maps, arrows, and chits.
Found you.

my dad fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 15, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
FELLOW DEFENDERS OF FRANCE

WE ARE RUNNING OUT OF TIME.

Brigade commanders who don't post at least a general "head that-a-way" set of orders for their brigade soon will be replaced.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

98th Brigade's Orders

98th BRIGADE will deploy in the following formation. If your companies can't fit on the battlefield like this, just show up however you like, men. I'm not fussed. JUST DO WHATEVER YOU WANT, as long as you try be in this formation as much as possible. I need to be in a line at some point to check box that I attempted to follow divisional formation orders!

- Proceed through Bois De Tigre to our rally point.
- On arrival, change formation as below to allow the 99th room to set up their guns. We're counting on them.
- All companies should remain over 12 inches from the outskirts of town to avoid German MG fire. It would be a shame to be standing around doing nothing while we all get shot by a machine gun.

Once the assault begins at the turn specified by the division commander (TURN 7):
- I will have you switch to my own personal formation I came up with after many hours locked in my study drinking. This formation protects the most valuable man on the battlefield (myself) while still providing strong firepower to the front. Advance on the enemy position of St. Croissant, and keep the rifles firing.
- If able, commence a bayonet charge once in 8" range.
- Break off the attack if 50% casualties are taken, and await further orders.

Okay, that will be all gentlemen.

B-But sir, what do we do after we capture the town of St. Croissants?

Hahaha, you must have lost your mind, recruit! I'll humor you though.

After somehow managing to kill all the Boche scum inside of the town:
- Adopt the formation presented in the diagram below. Surely by now we will have lost some men, so focus positioning companies to the front rather than the sides.
- Move through the rightmost side of Bois de Gooneville while holding your bayonets out in front of you. If you manage to stab any Germans along the way, that's fine.
- Set up the MG and companies so that it may fire on the hill to our Northwest, and keep all companies in cover of the forest.

Once the 99th reach our position:
- Fall back to allow the 99th to set up their artillery. Try to adopt the formation pictured, however make room for any 99th company.
- Keep remaining inside the cover of the forest as a priority.
- Hold this position and start entrenching while awaiting further orders.

Await further orders!

Standing orders

When sighting an enemy on Attack stance: Keep moving along original path
When attacking the enemy: Use bayonet charge
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Do not pursue
Break off automatically when: 1/2 casualties are taken

EDIT: I seem to have forgotten about two whole companies of men and I was going to leave them behind at the deployment zone. They can follow me into battle, I guess. Here's an updated formation guide, numbered in sequential order. If everything goes to plan they *should* die attacking St. Croissants.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 15, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Housekeeping notes:

:siren: The soft deadline for orders is 2pm GMT Thursday 16th. Orders that arrive after the deadline but before I begin the adjudication may or may not accepted at my discretion. You will be informed when the adjudication has begun and no orders whatsoever will be accepted after that point. :siren:

Also, I will not be offering critiques of everyone's orders. Someone in here has produced Good and Cool orders that I approve of. It is now the job of senior commanders to get everything shipshape and Bristol fashion. I am still available for clarification of rules. I will also accept emergency orders from Divisional commanders for brigades whose commanders' whereabouts are uncertain.

Also I'll be posting a short questionnaire so y'all and the observer thread have something to do/watch while you wait. Participation is greatly appreciated.

Checklist for Corps commanders:

Have I assigned the Corps assets to divisions?
Have I ordered the spotter plane?
Have I collected everyone's orders into one place to make things easy for certain persons whom it would be well to keep happy?

Checklist for Divisional commanders:

Have I attached the Divisional assets to brigades?
Have I given legal orders for the movement of my Divisional HQ?
Have all my brigadiers given legal orders?

Checklist for Brigade commanders

Am I aware of all rules that might be relevant to what I'm trying to do?
Are my orders legal and compliant with the latest guidelines?
Am I sure that I have posted them in the thread, clearly marked?
and, finally,
Am I as offensive as I might be?

This last one, is clearly, most important.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I will have my orders up tonight. Also Bacarruda you have two 98th Brigades in your unit names so you may want to edit that.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
97th Brigade reporting for duty.

Movement will follow this path.

Phase 1

97th Brigade Artillery, Brigade Command, and Infantry follow 99th along the road towards Clemenceau whilst making sure to give them road priority.

Phase 2

97th Brigade Command take position in Clemenceau whilst rest of the Brigade continues to march forward.

Attached Cavalry proceed to La Oeuf

Phase 3

97th Brigade adopt Battle Orders and march towards La Oeuf once artillery have unlimbered.

Attached Cavalry reach top of La Oeuf and send runner to HQ with update on enemy positioning and requests for new orders.

Standing Orders

When sighting an enemy on Attack stance: Assume this formation and adopt attack stance.

Artillery when firing: Fire until there is nothing left in sight then wait for further orders.
Infantry in artillery dual when enemy artillery has support.: Fire at anything approaching the artillery then wait for further orders.
Infantry in artillery dual when enemy artillery has no support. Move forwards to finish of artillery before retreating back to the unit.
Cavalry sightin an enemy on Attack stance: Fall back to the Brigade and support further operations
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Do not pursue.
Break off automatically when: 1/2 casualties are taken.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 15, 2017

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Comrade Koba posted:

Général de brigade Comrade Koba

Orders for 52nd Brigade

Brigade will enter the field deployed in the formation below:

Brigade will then march towards La Cote, as indicated by the arrow. Cavalry company will move ahead of the main column and scout the advance.

Slim Jim Pickens, Chief of Staff

Brigadier General, the current orders you have submitted has your brigade entering the battlefield behind even the reservists! I would not object to your orders otherwise, but this is a serious case of deployment most a coq en haut.

Please change you initial position to be more like so:

I have been informed by the highest possible power (Trin) that this is acceptable, and our overall plan hinges on aggressive action from your brigade most immediately.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 15, 2017

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Unless I am mistaken, brigade HQ does need to be near the brigades in case orders need to be altered on the fly. If you don't stay within 8" of your mans, you can't order them around.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
To reduce my workload confusion in communications 6 Division will use the same code-phrases as 22 dive, with unit names and additional locations coded based on La Chanson de Roland.

Bacarruda posted:

COMMAND AND COMMUNICATIONS
Please note where my division HQ will be during each phase of the operation – make sure your runners know where to find me at all times.

To avoid the enemy from getting too much information if they capture a runner, use these code words:

Unit Names
  • Charlemagne– Division HQ
  • Roland – 52nd Brigade
  • Oliver – 53rd Brigade
  • Turpin -- 54th Brigade
  • Godefery – 55thBrigade
  • Milon -- 119th Reserve Brigade
  • Othon -- 120th Reserve Brigade

Actions
  • Attack – Austerlitz
  • Defend – Leipzig
  • Move -- Borodino
  • Battle Order – Grenadier
  • Marching Order – Chasseur

Locations

• Clemenceau – Breakfast
  • St. Croissant – Lunch
  • Bois de Gooneville – Dinner
  • Frais-Champs – Stables
  • Le Oeuf – Le Teton
  • Dejeunner – Mademoiselle
  • Brioche – Cheese Factory
  • La Sanglante Femme – Matterhorn
  • Bois de Haute – Le Paul Bunyan
  • Veine – Hamlet
  • Faiblempot – Kitchen
  • Baguende - Sargossa
  • La Cote - Roncevaux
  • Baguette - Oltre Mer
  • Pastuer Ridge - Aix
  • Bois de Baguette - Ebro
  • Nainville - Babylon

QUESTIONS?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

sullat posted:

Unless I am mistaken, brigade HQ does need to be near the brigades in case orders need to be altered on the fly. If you don't stay within 8" of your mans, you can't order them around.

It's not against the rules per se, it's just very bad for your units if the brigadier is too busy eating brioche to respond to Boche

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Do we need to write the posts in code, or can we assume a captured messenger will be translated?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Slim Jim Pickens, Chief of Staff

Brigadier General, the current orders you have submitted has your brigade entering the battlefield behind even the reservists! I would not object to your orders otherwise, but this is a serious case of deployment most a coq en haut.

Please change you initial position to be more like so:

I have been informed by the highest possible power (Trin) that this is acceptable, and our overall plan hinges on aggressive action from your brigade most immediately.

Confirming that this is a legitimate instruction. I appreciate that you have other duties to attend to, General Koba, but some time in the Roll20 planning salon might help make the intent of our strategy a little clearer for you.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

It's not against the rules per se, it's just very bad for your units if the brigadier is too busy eating brioche to respond to Boche

Right, although I don't have the authority to order my fellow brigadiers to stay with theur brigades, this is a polite suggestion.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Trin Tragula posted:

Am I as offensive as I might be?

This last one, is clearly, most important.

http://i.imgur.com/gKw0B2B.gifv

En avant!

6ᵉ Cavalerie

This order is OBSOLETED and kept only for historical reasons

The first turn, we will be the first out of the gate, and from there we will move eastward on the road through Clemenceau. If we are not interrupted by spotting an enemy, the goal will to spend the first three turns rushing up on Fraise-champs. Hopefully the second turn will look something like this as far as my position just shy of Clemenceau:

If we do not spot enemies west of Saint Croissant, we will continue on as such, west until the junction and then as far north as possible:
(Other officers, is there a potential location east of Croissant for enemies that should get me to punch out rather than continue and bank on being faster than them?)

If we do spot enemies west of Saint Croissant we go to Operation Merde!

Turns Three, Four and Five go as such:

Three is going as far west along the road and then north, trying to get in that yellow rectangle where I can see if enemies are coming from Bois de Gooneville, in which case I remain in marching order, and back off hard the next turn, moving south and dropping into Operation Merde. We will probably be in range so we will be shouting racial epithets as we do so. (Staff officers, is there another case to remember here?)

In turn four, we drop into battle order and turn five the positions pictured. The cavalry companies should turn into infantry and entrenched infantry as fast as is practicable.

We will be on defense in this position, and the standing orders apply.

Operation Merde!

We will engage in unspecified fallback behavior for an officer and a gentleman does not plan for anything but success at the sabrepoint (or bullet, I can't go on a charge with half artillery can I?)

Slim Jim and others, I'm planning to fall back where they can have me if they really want me badly enough to get me they can have me and then realize that I've traded well with my arty and they're now under the guns of Clemenceau, where do I go to do this? I'm not going to take a stupid risk here, because Horse Arty is ludicrously useful sounding for overwatch on the offensive

General Elaboration post-Croissant

We will shoot it out with the enemy, screening the mg and arty with the cav. We will likely be issuing any further orders from the spectator thread in the sky, but if that is not the case, we will attempt to maintain support positions by friendly infantry and get into artillery range of the enemy with as much of an infantry screening formation as possible, then blast them with the guns. Basically pair up with a brigade on the left flank and walk with them to get my artillery in range before firing the guns until I run out of enemies to shoot or friendlies to support, at which point I get back into supporting positions.

This is my idea of what a generic formation to drop into looks like:

Peel cav companies off the side away from enemies first, if pointed directly at all enemies, peel them off the side closer to allies.

Standing Orders:

When sighting an enemy on Attack stance: Drop to Defensive stance and take up formation
When attacking the enemy: Use rifle/mg/arty fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Hold position
Break Off automatically when: 1/2 casualties are taken Should I raise the threshold to 2/3rds so I can regroup as I choose?

Auto-send runners in these situations:
If you take ½ casualties
Opening fire
Break Off or Suppressed Retreat
Failed Morale check
Complete your orders
Kill or capture an enemy runner
(can/should I send them if I spot enemies in one of the positions that would confirm their start location?)

Note: I have five cav companies in a few places (the formation mainly), I'm not getting the scout cav, but the formation is designed to and has instructions for degrading so I'm not concerned about it.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 15, 2017

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

General de Division Tebeka

To explain some of our strategic thinking:

We are outrageously drunk at all times

General Mon Pere is concerned that the Boche outnumber us locally, and insists on maintaining a posture from which we can repel assaults against our deployment zone, while still committing enough forces to seize our objectives should the battle go our way easier than expected.

General Bacarruda would prefer to solidy concentrate our forces in the center and make continuous strikes until the day is won.

I would prefer a bold flanking manuever to the north, cutting the Boche off from reinforcements while trapping them against our lines.

Chief of Staff Pickens makes recommendations based on worst case scenarios of rapid and effective enemy deployment.

Then we all argue about the best way to get sight lines for artillery and how far a Cavalry company can scout.

quote:

Have I attached the Divisional assets to brigades?
Have I given legal orders for the movement of my Divisional HQ?
Have all my brigadiers given legal orders?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Gommier Rouge posted:

Maman et papa et Denny ont vu le défilé défilé à Puckapunyal
C'était une longue marche des cadets
Le sixième bataillon était le prochain à la tournée et c'était moi qui a dessiné la carte
Nous avons fait Canungra et Shoalwater avant de partir

Et Townsville aligné les sentiers comme nous avons marché vers le bas au quai
Cet écrêtage du papier nous montre jeune et fort et propre
Et il ya moi en moi chapeau slouch avec moi SLR et les verts
Dieu m'aide - j'avais seulement dix-neuf

De Vung Tau équitation Chinooks à la poussière à Nui Dat
J'étais entré et sorti des hélicoptères depuis des mois
Et nous avons fait de nos tentes une maison, V.B. Et pinups sur les casiers
Et un coucher de soleil orange asiatique à travers le gommage

Et pouvez-vous me dire, docteur, pourquoi je n'arrive toujours pas à dormir?
Et la nuit est juste une jungle sombre et un aboiement M.16?
Et quelle est cette éruption qui va et vient, pouvez-vous me dire ce que cela signifie?
Dieu m'aide - j'avais seulement dix-neuf

Une opération de quatre semaines, quand chaque étape peut signifier votre dernier sur deux jambes
C'était une guerre en vous-même
Mais vous ne laisseriez pas vos compagnons baisser
Alors vous avez fermé les yeux et pensé à autre chose

Et puis quelqu'un a crié "Contact", et le mec derrière moi a juré
Nous nous sommes accrochés là pendant des heures, puis un Dieu tout-puissant rugissement
Et Frankie a donné un coup de pied dans une mine le jour où l'humanité a lancé la lune
Dieu m'aide - il rentrait chez lui en juin

Et je peux encore voir Frankie, buvant des tinnies dans le Grand Hôtel
Sur une rec de trente-six heures. À Vung Tau
Et je peux encore entendre Frankie, couché en hurlant dans la jungle
Jusqu'à ce que la morphine vint et tua la sanglante rangée

Et les légendes d'Anzac ne mentionnaient pas la boue, le sang et les larmes
Et les histoires que mon père m'a racontées ne semblaient jamais assez réelles
J'ai attrapé quelques morceaux dans mon dos que je ne me sentais même pas
Dieu m'aide, j'avais seulement 19 ans

Et pouvez-vous me dire, docteur, pourquoi je n'arrive toujours pas à dormir?
Pourquoi la chaîne Seven chopper me fait-elle frissonner?
Et quelle est cette éruption qui va et vient, pouvez-vous me dire ce que cela signifie?
Dieu m'aide - j'avais seulement 19 ans

attributed to Indochinese colonial troops

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I am arguing incredibly hard and fretting massively over a few inches on my fallback position after starting from the idea of falling back to La Oeuf to secure that if I couldn't get the preferred plan and being persuaded that that'd be too far and to go where barracuda's plan had me. I'm convinced everyone else in the staff hates me, but that's alright the boche will too.

Conceptually the idea for the fallback is on turn three there's a real danger of infantry coming down from Veine via the Bois de Gooneville road, and they'd mince me artillery or no, so I'm going to instead drop back to the T junction or maybe behind it. The question is do I sit at the T junction which has the advantage of being in arty range of Croissant and the significant disadvantage of being in arty range of Croissant about two turns before our arty sets up at Clemenceau.

I am unreasonably terrified by this because I don't do plans that aren't aggressive, I am a cavalryman with elan dammit.

Also, I met a very tall actress with very large slippers so I might have had way too much champagne. I blame the boche.

I will no doubt end up at the spear point against a full division and destroyed utterly just in time to be reincarnated as a reservist of shudder infantry.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 15, 2017

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

xthetenth posted:

If we do not spot enemies west of Saint Croissant, we will continue on as such, west until the junction and then as far north as possible:
(Other officers, is there a potential location east of Croissant for enemies that should get me to punch out rather than continue and bank on being faster than them?)

There is a chance you might spot some Boche entering St. Croissant from the eastern roads. In that situation, I wouldn't think Fraise-champs is tenable. However, remaining around will probably just draw Boche towards Clemenceau while it's still weak, so continuing to move either West is probably best.

xthetenth posted:

Three is going as far west along the road and then north, trying to get in that yellow rectangle where I can see if enemies are coming from Bois de Gooneville, in which case I remain in marching order, and back off hard the next turn, moving south and dropping into Operation Merde. We will probably be in range so we will be shouting racial epithets as we do so. (Staff officers, is there another case to remember here?)

In turn four, we drop into battle order and turn five the positions pictured, sending that attached cavalry company out towards La Oeuf. The cavalry companies should turn into infantry and entrenched infantry as fast as is practicable.

By this point, Case Purple and Yellow should have been confirmed or cleared already, while Case Blue will be confirmed or not by whether you see a German infantry brigade on the St. Croissant road on turn 3.

quote:

Operation Merde!

We will engage in unspecified fallback behavior for an officer and a gentleman does not plan for anything but success at the sabrepoint (or bullet, I can't go on a charge with half artillery can I?)

Slim Jim and others, I'm planning to fall back where they can have me if they really want me badly enough to get me they can have me and then realize that I've traded well with my arty and they're now under the guns of Clemenceau, where do I go to do this? I'm not going to take a stupid risk here, because Horse Arty is ludicrously useful sounding for overwatch on the offensive

The obvious hitch to any quick retreat is that fact you start off in Marching Order, and it takes you a whole turn to switch to Battle. If you don't retreat far enough away, a Boche attack order might just wipe you out before you can fire back. In case Blue, you are most definitely spotted at turn 3.

In that event, the Boche are either marching past you in St. Croissant (Where you can't go), or stopping and deploying to Battle order. In both cases, you can't attack them safely because you also need spend that turn switching to Battle Order, and they will be prepared to receive you.

You've got something in roll20 right now that's a decent retreating position. It's far away enough that enemy arty will have to unlimber one turn, move one turn, and THEN fire, which lets you be safe. It's spread out and not in the way of our infantry deployments. You also get to bomb any boche that stray to close to Clemenceau. I think that's a fine position for Operation Merde.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

xthetenth posted:

I am arguing incredibly hard and fretting massively over a few inches on my fallback position. I'm convinced everyone else in the staff hates me, but that's alright the boche will too.

Conceptually the idea for the fallback is on turn three there's a real danger of infantry coming down from Veine via the Bois de Gooneville road, and they'd mince me artillery or no, so I'm going to instead drop back to the T junction or maybe behind it. The question is do I sit at the T junction which has the advantage of being in arty range of Croissant and the significant disadvantage of being in arty range of Croissant about two turns before our arty sets up at Clemenceau.

I am unreasonably terrified by this because I don't do plans that aren't aggressive, I am a cavalryman with elan dammit.

Also, I met a very tall actress with very large slippers so I might have had way too much champagne. I blame the boche.

I will no doubt end up at the spear point against a full division and destroyed utterly just in time to be reincarnated as a reservist of shudder infantry.

Infantry will be marching up the Clemencau road, calculate how long it will take them to get to the T-junction, and then fall back far enough that your pursuers get T-boned by an advancing infantry column,

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

General Mon Pere, Corps Commander

Rumors that General Arbite has been shot for desertion have been greatly exaggerated. He was merely transferred to Guyana via boat through several German submarine patrol zones.

:frogsiren: 120th Reserve Brigade can now be claimed by a staff officer! :frogsiren:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I apologize for not posting more about my thoughts and analysis of the situation, but my hands are quite full.

For further information about the nature of my duties, please read the following article.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Okay then. Another crack at the full thing then:

6ᵉ Cavalerie
:siren:This supersedes the previous draft of the orders. It includes niceties like a concession to the logisticians who say I might not get to Fraise-Champs first.:siren:

The first turn, we will be the first out of the gate, and from there we will move eastward on the road through Clemenceau. If we are not interrupted by spotting an enemy, the goal will to spend the first three turns rushing up on Fraise-champs. Hopefully the second turn will look something like this as far as my position just shy of Clemenceau:

If we do spot enemies west of Saint Croissant we go to Operation Merde!

Three is going West along the road and taking the North turn. I'll go as far North as I can this turn, trying to get in that yellow rectangle where I can see if enemies are coming from Bois de Gooneville. If I see enemies in firing range (even in marching order, since they can get in battle formation as fast as me) I will remain in marching order, and move south next turn, shifting into Operation Merde. We will probably be in range so we will be shouting racial epithets as we do so.

In turn four, we drop into battle order and turn five the positions pictured. The cavalry companies should dismount and entrench as fast as is practicable.

Operation Merde!

If I start Operation Merde, I will fall back to the brown M by Toilette-Champs (wow this is getting to be pretty on the nose). I will deploy in battle order (the formation noted below with the fourth company on the left wing) pointed north. I will trade artillery fire until the 96th and 98th are established north of my position AND (not or) I am out of targets to engage with my artillery at which I will proceed to the previously noted target position for turn 5, stopping to trade artillery fire en route if relevant.

The positions I draw up on point M will look about like this:

The front line of infantry will be drawn up about even with the label on La Oeuf (if I have the movement to make it that far).

General Elaboration post-Croissant

We will shoot it out with the enemy, screening the mg and arty with the cav. We will likely be issuing any further orders from the spectator thread in the sky, but if that is not the case, we will attempt to maintain support positions by friendly infantry and get into artillery range of enemies to shell them. Basically I want to pair up with a brigade on the left flank and walk with them to get my artillery in range before firing the guns until I run out of enemies to shoot or friendlies to support. At that point I'll move with the friendlies or trade fire with the enemy until forced to back off, respectively.

This is my idea of what a generic formation to drop into looks like:

Peel cav companies off the side away from enemies first, if pointed directly at all enemies, peel them off the side closer to allies. Don't put two companies on one wing and none on the other, just use the three in the middle. This has five companies and I only have four but this way you know it's symmetric and just peel off the missing company according to the direction.

If these conditions happen, they're here as a guide to when to engage in various activities if we are successful in taking St. Croissant.
The relevant labels are on the summary map below.

Red 1 is the position to go to when the 96th, 98th or 99th (acting in place of one of the other two) enters St. Croissant. Once they are no longer in contact with enemies I can see on the east side of Bois de Gooneville, shift so that the centerline of the formation is pointing northwest.

Red 2a is the position to go to if I see enemies fighting on Pasteur Ridge by the time any remaining brigades of the 96th, 98th, or 99th are in Bois de Gooneville. If there are no enemies on Pasteur and all those brigades are in the Bois, I will set up on 2b instead. In that position I'm trying to set my artillery up for shots but concealing them as much as possible with cavalry. Same for the MG.

Red 3 is the position I will seek to take after the assault on La Sanglant Femme is done. To go there from 2, I will take the route marked by the arrow, leveraging my artillery and MG heavily and not trying to get into rifle range.

As a general principle, shooting the enemy, if possible, will always be done in preference to moving up, and will be done without moving if possible.

Summary Map

Standing Orders:

When sighting an enemy on Attack stance: Drop to Defensive stance and take up formation if the enemy is in artillery range
When attacking the enemy: Use rifle/mg/arty fire, do not move closer if arty is already in range
Break Off automatically when: 1/2 casualties are taken

If you take ½ casualties
Opening fire
Break Off or Suppressed Retreat
Failed Morale check
Complete your orders
Kill or capture an enemy runner

Now, unless I have made an oversight, I will return to bedchambers. I will be sure to let you know whose they are once I know.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 15, 2017

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

From the memoirs of Slim Jim Pickens, Chief of Staff, entitled The Great Tragedy of France: Glorious Enlightenment Reversed by Treacherous Bismarckians - WWI Explained Through the Eyes of the Informed, the Laws of the French Army (a Diary Most Disproving of Socialism)

A Summary of My Time Spent Pondering the Nature of our Existence and the Limits of our Physical Being

Lo, as this war descends upon our fine nation, the curious and visceral-minded vultures of Germania, eager to feast upon fine French culture like a dog slobbering over pate, may we stop and bless our great and most powerful savior, admiring of his blessed people, (Of all nations who are blessed, the French are most blessed), he has come upon myself and delivered guidance in these arriving times of great disaster.

By his name, Trin, I will invoke my train of thought as best can be delivered, for his words are armed so with double meanings, his gravity, unspeakable! Yet I fear not to utter my queries, whoa, so I announce, my trifling, my hesitation, but the air trembles and the responses destroy every illusion I hold, yes there is order! There is a code to our universe! I declare this most assuredly, there may be malcontents who enjoy spreading falsehoods, but do not abide their attempts to deceive! I compile here: My most transformative revelatory thoughts!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Be it so that a brigade, even a French brigade, forced to change orders from a March order into a Battle , it will deploy over the course of ONE TURN, with no ability to affect combat nor maneuver. (I recall several brigade orders in my experience with no such consideration)

A brigade's formation can be changed with no difficult maneuvering, so long as the axis of maneuver remains centered on the brigadier's headquarters. The guidance of our esteemed officer's makes this violation of so called "laws of physics" facilely executed.

Much maligned is the common man, in spirit and mind, but for no reason should we chance his might. The average soldiers manning an ARTILLERY COMPANY, may for several streches of TWO HOURS move an UNLIMBERED artillery piece and support a shifting firing position.

Despite the opinion of the civilian population, ARTILLERY is NOT capable of pernicious fire over TERRAIN WHICH BLOCKS LINE OF SIGHT. It is true, those cannons may elevate to a near vertical level, but the inaccuracy and waste of indirect fire offend the sense of sensible officers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I'm very sorry, life has gotten crazy all of a sudden, I must resign my commission with the 120th. Bonne chance, mon amis.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

*reserve battalion mumbles about "recall" and "can't be expected to remember training, I'm a farmer not a soldier, scared blue and death of my life!"*

119th Reserve Battalion

After entering the field, proceed to position shown below, then follow the black arrow to Le Cote and Baguende.

Deploy as shown below, with 75mm guns unlimbering on the outskirts of Baguende, with fields of fire to the NW. Infantry arrayed as shown on the slope below. Brigade command should be in range of central infantry units.

Edit: I completely forgot to move the 75mms that appear to be in the town. I would appreciate them being on the outskirts. If there's a ranging or LOS problem there, I'm sorry but won't get a chance to amend the map before the deadline.

Rifles:

Dig in, fire on any enemy target in range

Engineers:

Dig in, deploy barbed wire NE-SW along the infantry line. Free to restock when necessary.

75mms:

Fire on any enemy target on Pasteur ridge, or along the road line along the ridge. IF enemy is present in these positions, fire until enemy is no longer present. IF enemy is elsewhere, fire provisional on brigade HQ orders.

ALL: IF enemy targets are on Le Cote before we arrive, 75mm guns open fire, all ranks fix bayonets and charge.

lenoon fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 16, 2017

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

thatbastardken posted:

Confirming that this is a legitimate instruction. I appreciate that you have other duties to attend to, General Koba, but some time in the Roll20 planning salon might help make the intent of our strategy a little clearer for you.

I was under the impression that all units would enter, in turn, from the corner marked "French point of entry". Misunderstanding now clarified, orders amended again.

Sixkiller
Mar 2, 2015

Sanguine Sanguinary
Général de Brigade Sixkiller, 53rd Brigade

The 53rd Brigade is to enter the battlefield deployed in these positions:

Phase one:
Alongside the fateful 52nd Brigade, our Brigade is to advance up to La Cote with the primary objective being to occupy said hill. Any German who stands in our path shall be crushed.

Phase two:
Once La Cote is taken, the 53rd will crush any enemy who dares to takes the hill from France. If no enemies are seen, the brigade is to advance up to Baguette, taking it.

Phase three:
If Saint Croissant is being threatened, the 53rd shall rush to its rescue like gallant knights of old. Otherwise, the brigade is to dig in and wait for further instruction.

When sighting an enemy on Attack stance: Drop to Defensive stance and take up formation if the enemy is in artillery range

When attacking the enemy: Use rifle/mg/arty fire.

Break Off automatically when: 2/3 casualties are taken

2/3 casualties is taken.

A fight breaks out with the enemy.

If we break off or are in a state of suppressed retreat.

We failed our morale check.

Complete our orders.

Kill or capture an enemy runner.

(wip)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

You put your artillery in the town. Artillery can't shoot out of towns. I would like to politely ask you to read the rules, General Lenoon.

You might also want to consider slightly altering the placement of the MG, as it 's blocking your artillery lines of fire somawhat dude to being on the hilltop

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

lenoon posted:

*reserve battalion mumbles about "recall" and "can't be expected to remember training, I'm a farmer not a soldier, scared blue and death of my life!"*

119th Reserve Battalion

After entering the field, proceed to position shown below, then follow the black arrow to Le Cote and Baguende.

Deploy as shown below, with 75mm guns unlimbering on the outskirts of Baguende, with fields of fire to the NW. Infantry arrayed as shown on the slope below. Brigade command should be in range of central infantry units.

Rifles:

Dig in, fire on any enemy target in range

Engineers:

Dig in, deploy barbed wire NE-SW along the infantry line. Free to restock when necessary.

75mms:

Fire on any enemy target on Pasteur ridge, or along the road line along the ridge. IF enemy is present in these positions, fire until enemy is no longer present. IF enemy is elsewhere, fire provisional on brigade HQ orders.

ALL: IF enemy targets are on Le Cote before we arrive, 75mm guns open fire, all ranks fix bayonets and charge.

not bad but the artillery in Baguende need to be slightly more outside the town - spread them out a little if you need to.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Arbite posted:

I'm very sorry, life has gotten crazy all of a sudden, I must resign my commission with the 120th. Bonne chance, mon amis.

Real life is more important that internet pixelmans. Best of luck.

:frogsiren:Staff officers, please claim the 120th Reserve Brigade:frogsiren:

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

my dad posted:

You put your artillery in the town. Artillery can't shoot out of towns. I would like to politely ask you to read the rules, General Lenoon.

You might also want to consider slightly altering the placement of the MG, as it 's blocking your artillery lines of fire somawhat dude to being on the hilltop

It was an attempt to put them on the outskirts - I think I specified that. Read the rules, but where on the town blob is the outskirts and where is the edge?

They look pretty outskirts-ish, but I'll move them a bit when I get back from work.

Edit:

quote:

Deploy as shown below, with 75mm guns unlimbering on the outskirts

Will this do?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

The outskirts are defined as being in base contact with but not inside the town on the map.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Official Historian's Survey: Turn 0

In among the vast amount of paperwork for a general officer to deal with on the eve of battle, you find a note from the Official Historian, urging you to set out your honest and unrestrained views now for posterity and the benefit of future officers and servants of the Empire. He asks that you answer all, some, or fewer of the following questions, and assures you that they will be kept most secret until the end of the war.

1. How do you feel the planning for this battle has gone, in general?

2. How confident are you in the plans and orders that you personally have laid for this battle?

3. How confident are you in fulfilling the various objectives set by the Army Commander?

4. Is there any one aspect of the battle that seems to you will be most critical, on which success or failure is most likely to turn?

5. Thinking optimistically, what do you think the likely result of the battle will be?

6. Thinking pessimistically, what do you think the likely result of the battle will be?

Post ITT. Keep the observer thread supplied with content.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Trin Tragula posted:

In among the vast amount of paperwork for a general officer to deal with on the eve of battle, you find a note from the Official Historian, urging you to set out your honest and unrestrained views now for posterity and the benefit of future officers and servants of the Empire. He asks that you answer all, some, or fewer of the following questions, and assures you that they will be kept most secret until the end of the war.

2. How confident are you in the plans and orders that you personally have laid for this battle?

3. How confident are you in fulfilling the various objectives set by the Army Commander?

4. Is there any one aspect of the battle that seems to you will be most critical, on which success or failure is most likely to turn?

5. Thinking optimistically, what do you think the likely result of the battle will be?

6. Thinking pessimistically, what do you think the likely result of the battle will be?

1. Overall I think the planning has gone well. Of course that view could change once we have a more complete understanding of the battle.

2. Either my orders will carry my brigade to victory or get them all killed.

3. Somewhat confident depending on what happens with Saint Croissant.

4. Whoever can hold the area around Saint Croissant will control the flow of the game.

5. After a bloody conflict we will be able to slowly force back the German forces.

6. Our forces are overwhelmed by a wave of artillery and we are slowly hemmed back towards our deployment area.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

I feel a certain amount of concern that these orders seem built for an army on the offensive, when it is the Boche that are defiling our French soil with their vile jackboots. However, I cannot deny that our objectives require a certain amount of offensiveness. I only hope that the inevitable collision of four divisions in the middle of the map won't render our plans entirely moot.

The entire road from St Croissant to the eastern edge of the map is an interlocking doom fortress of conditional orders supporting each other, but once one enters the western half of the map, support is much rarer until very, very late in our plans. Much depends on the brigades who will be clearing Le Teton and overlooking our assault on St Croissants, for if we do find ourselves flanked, they will have a great weight upon their shoulders.

I have a certain amount of hope that the enemies will trust too much in their weapons, and find themselves vulnerable to eight inches of steel to the throat. If they are reading too much into what pie-in-the-sky academics are calling the future of warfare, they may believe that offense is suicide and defense is impregnable - but that time is not yet upon us, and I intend to prove it by sweeping the Boche out of St Croissants and the nearby forest.

I can too easily foresee a meatgrinder where a few brigades being effectively wiped out will cause us to pile up as Mon Pere desperately tries to reorganize things to work around the lost brigades - especially if the enemy manages to pick off runners going along the road east of St Croissant with artillery. This would leave us awaiting orders that will not come in positions that were meant to be temporary. That said, I am not familiar enough with the other division's orders to comment on how vulnerable their runners may be.

Additionally, with my brigade being the point of the bayonet, I can too easily foresee my men being necessary casualties of war and me personally being left to wander the countryside with nothing but a machine gun team to keep me company.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

1. It has been harmonious. If that is because everybody is right, everybody is wrong, or it's irrelevant if we were right or wrong, time will tell.

2. I am reasonably confident. I think I have planned well for if things go decently and if they don't go decently I doubt my orders will be followed. Also my fallback point is on a farm like my glorious planned position, so I can pick (an) apple(s) for my mistress(es) and they won't know if I had to back off.

3. I am reasonably confident about St. Croissant. I am not sanguine about Faibleimpot because of my sanguinary suspicions of the boche between us and there.

4. I think if the coordination of the assaults on St. Croissant and Pasteur Ridge falls apart, we'll get torn up.

5. An attack that catches the enemy off guard with concentrated force and picks them apart so we can exploit up towards Faibleimpot

6. A failed assault of St. Croissant that makes us try to mount a desperate defense with the remaining forces.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

General de Division Tebeka

The night before the battle General Tebeka is seated at a writing desk in his quarters in the commandeered chateau. The room smells strongly of brandy and perfume, the bed contains a selection of the finest local prostitutes. Even so, the general's face is troubled as he writes a letter to his beloved wife:

quote:

My dearest Evangeline, tomorrow I lead my division into battle to defend France against the German invaders. I have every confidence in the fighting spirit of my soldiers and the quality of their arms, and my brother officers are all as dedicated as I am to the cause of victory. But war, she is a dangerous creature, unpredictable and fierce as an unbroken horse. The Boches, for all their dishonorable and deplorable ways, are no cowards, and we can expect the battle to be hard fought. Our staff college has covered many scenarios and we have a good strategy, but no plan can account for all the vagaries of fate. Additionally we have had to replace the brigadier of one of my reserve formations due to illness, and the staff officer promoted in his stead, while very competent, is reluctant to lead men. He feels perhaps he has not earned his command. He will have his chance tomorrow, as the reserve brigades will have a key role to play in holding our flank. Of course, on a night like this a man's mind turns to all that he could have done better - have my orders been precise enough, or too restricting? I have perhaps erred on the side of optimism, and trusted in my subordinates to react should the enemy press us harder than anticipated. General Mon Pere has given us our final orders, and they are achievable with courage and God's grace. If we can take the town of S____ C________ by noon then the foe will have to dance to our tune, and we shall play them a lively one indeed. They desire to push hard to the south, and if they wish to dash themselves against our guns we will oblige them! Should things go harder, we will have to dig in our heels and give them the bayonet. The soldiers are keen for it, but many of them are boys and have never seen war.

Evangeline, by the time this letter reaches you the battle will be done for good or ill. I will return to you, I swear it.

Yours Forever,
Alois Tebeka (General de Division)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Slam Jam Packens, Chief of Staff120e Reservistes Brigade

120e Brigade will deploy roughly hereabouts in Battle Order, behind all other deployed brigades in 6th Division. It will advance to the foot of La Cote and adopt this formation, taking care not to interfere with other brigades.

At the foot of La Cote, 120th Brigade will halt and defend, unlimber artillery, and await news from 53e and 52e brigades. If they are under attack, 120e will remain defending.

However, if they are not attacked, 120e brigade expects to see 6th division's regulars to march off La Cote. In this situation, 120e is to advance up La Cote and adopt this formation.

120e will Defend, entrench, and await further orders.

When sighting an enemy on Attack stance: Keep moving along original path
When attacking the enemy: Use rifle fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Do not pursue.
Break Off automatically when: Fight to the last man

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 16, 2017

• Locked thread