Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Loel posted:

Based on conversations in chat:

We can assume that these are the last substantial reinforcements.
We know that theyve scattered at least two brigades to hunt for our wirecutters.
Their line is therefore thin, and we have a moment to take advantage.
If we dont commit to an attack, the current lines will probably remain as is.
This will probably be a tie.
Therefore, if we commit now and Im right, we have a major success. If Im wrong, we will lose a lot of troops. And if we dont commit, we are probably getting a tie.

Based on my logic (theyve thinned their lines to find wirecutters / their reinforcements wont get there in time) how likely do you think it is we can break them? :D

They haven't thinned their lines. We know that those brigades turned back. Unless we attack right now, they will have made it back to their lines with no problem, and that's before we consider their reinforcements arriving. I still recommend the most interesting thing we could do is try and get Baccaruda to our lines and take advantage of whatever intelligence/experience his infiltration mission has gained, and prevent the Germans from just capturing a Division commander. That seems to me like it would be a huge penalty at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Polite reminder that we're getting reinforcements in the middle of the night, with all the issues that this entails.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think we are starting to forget that we are supposed to be playing defense. Right now we are roughly holding the line at the most reasonable point for us to do so. As I said in the chat it is time for us to redraw our lines to a slightly more practical placement and wait to see what the Germans have in store for us.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
My biggest fear is honestly a general redeployment by the Germans to the south. Our lines are weak there, and we don't have artillery left to erase any potential attackers.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

AbortRetryFail posted:

As I stated I'm fairly certain the majority consensus is to hold the line, but you are the commanding officer so we will do what you ask.

I am a consensus commander :D if I cant persuade my officers on the merits of my idea, how can I ask ten thousand soldiers to march for it?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Loel posted:

I am a consensus commander :D if I cant persuade my officers on the merits of my idea, how can I ask ten thousand soldiers to march for it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdXQJS3Yv0Y

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Loel posted:

You can't, but what you can do is order them. :v:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Im getting the feeling that the officers dont want any blame if it goes badly, but will take credit if Im right :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Ahh, the chains of command. :allears:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

my dad posted:

Ahh, the chains of command. :allears:

:v:

How about this :v:

A, this is an awesome idea
B, Im not betting my career on it, but I want credit if Loel is right
C, This is such a bad idea I will resign in protest

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Voted checkbox.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Loel posted:

Im getting the feeling that the officers dont want any blame if it goes badly, but will take credit if Im right :v:

That's why you have to preempt them. Take credit for any and all wins, blame subordinates if something goes wrong. It works for everyone except the privates.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

That does not seem like good leadership :cheeky:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Refuge in Audacity

I have found in Mon Pere's things a small collection of papers, describing his thoughts on the war thus far. I have collected them in what I believe was the intended order, as well as adding a few small notes of my own. It is my hope that my efforts help the war effort, and perhaps immortalize his voice as I knew it.

-Pere Loel

Elan vital

The moral is to the physical as three to one. - Napoleon

The strength of the Boche is his clockwork focus on the task at hand - a clattering, clanking mind that focuses solely on the objective. It is a mind of clocks and gears, and when left uninterrupted, it can achieve great things. Consider Clausewitz's creation of the General Staff, and their ability to prepare for war.

However, like a clock, it is easily interrupted, and when interrupted, prone to shattering. In this first battle of Pastuer Ridge, an entire division of Boche was surprised and annihilated. This must always be remembered - to win the battlefield, the Boche must be interrupted, surprised, and overcome by Elan Vital.

Napoleon noted that moral was 3:1, but not 3:0. It was this unfortunate incident that ended our Mon Pere in his prime. - Pere Loel

I will say, however, that I took his advice into consideration when I assumed command. The first task was to interrupt their tempo, throw sand in their gears - and placing units outside Stethoscope disrupted their timetables. Indeed, that resulted the disorientation we observed later. - Pere Loel

One additional note I would like to add - the Boche are almost mindlessly focused on their timetables, and can endure great hardship when following them. However, when they are conclusively interrupted, their morale shatters and breaks. They are brittle. Our armies, by contrast, are like water - fickle, emotional, and powerful. We are the flooding river. - Pere Loel

Deception

The Decisive Point

These pages are only sketches

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

^^^^ well, I'm sufficiently pepped.

Holy poo poo guys, I'm caught up. Give me a day or so and I'll get into Roll20 (which is not supported on my phone, how dare them) and try to learn how to timetables and chits to contribute as staff.

So that brigade of artillery way up in the northern line are coming in at 2000, so... We really, reeeeeeally need to refresh the fatigued dudes (23rd?) before we get friendly fire and desertions. If we can shuffle the 24th and 25th north a touch, not even an inch, we can possibly cover the incoming artillery, and keep enough eyes on the foret to turn and attack any intruding boche.

But except for the resting brigade, we should start clearing the foret after we get that new artillery. I'm thinking have them back behind the front and only tasked with taking out boche artillery and MGs.

The center and south brigades can sit tight, enjoy a night of rest, and get ready for more shits and giggles tomorrow.

New ammo arrives at 0800, right? We have a whole days worth of ammo to unload on some poor bastards overnight.

Edit: also I'm in Mountain Daylight Time, so that's GMT-6 according to my husband. I'm also gonna go crash for a while because I stayed up all night and day getting caught up on the Grande Shenanigans du Goon.

cat_herder fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 18, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Welcome aboard. :)

Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016
Yo, handy fact, Cat Herder: Roll 20 supports mobile, however, either the room owner has to have plus/pro membership, or the user entering the room has to have plus/pro. Plus Is about 5$ a month, which isn't bad, tbqh, and is pretty useful for GMs in general.

Mobile doesn't have app support, though, and opening r20 via browser can be either laggy or literally unloadable depending on how big/clustered the maps are.

E: mobile browser, I should specify.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Yeah, I don't have the money to get plus right now, but my internet will be fixed pretty soon. Thank you, though! my dad, I'm told you're the one who has to invite me, please? Pretty sure my username is the same as on here, or maybe without the underscore.

edit: :toot: IT'S FIXED

cat_herder fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 18, 2017

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Back from holiday all. Orders in for this round (thank you!) so let's see what survives a no doubt crippling hail of counterbattery for next time!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

lenoon posted:

Back from holiday all. Orders in for this round (thank you!) so let's see what survives a no doubt crippling hail of counterbattery for next time!

Lenoon, when you have time, tell me how arty could do a rolling bombard of Effyaders before infantry moves East :D

Something like this. Half arty on enemy trenches, half arty rolling and followed by infantry.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

cat_herder posted:

Yeah, I don't have the money to get plus right now, but my internet will be fixed pretty soon. Thank you, though! my dad, I'm told you're the one who has to invite me, please? Pretty sure my username is the same as on here, or maybe without the underscore.

edit: :toot: IT'S FIXED

You need to follow this link to join:

https://app.roll20.net/join/2004056/9ONgKg

I'm just the one who GMs people so they can actually tinker with the maps. Just post in the thread when you're in and I'll GM you as soon as I'm around.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

my dad posted:

You need to follow this link to join:

https://app.roll20.net/join/2004056/9ONgKg

I'm just the one who GMs people so they can actually tinker with the maps. Just post in the thread when you're in and I'll GM you as soon as I'm around.

K, she's logged in as Cat H.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Loel posted:

K, she's logged in as Cat H.

Done. :)

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Loel posted:

Lenoon, when you have time, tell me how arty could do a rolling bombard of Effyaders before infantry moves East :D

Something like this. Half arty on enemy trenches, half arty rolling and followed by infantry.

Dear god, dear god, dear god nooooooooo

We shall not have a rolling bombardment at night time, when orders will fail.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Dear god, dear god, dear god nooooooooo

We shall not have a rolling bombardment at night time, when orders will fail.

We cant give them the orders prior and say "at 4am, blow up this forest"?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Loel posted:

We cant give them the orders prior and say "at 4am, blow up this forest"?

I suppose that might work, although we never had a chance to confirm it last game.

I don't think rolling barrages make any sense in our ruleset. It's not like the Germans can react in real-time to shift troops around. Support Orders will accomplish the same thing, with less waste.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Oh hey I found some journals from the war effort :v:

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-186

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

gracias, Pere Loel. I was in danger of possibly sleeping tonight. :v:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

SCP is good for you :D

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

My assistant has declared that I must sleep anyway and fulfill my 2 hours of cuddling quota. She was very adamant about this. She's elderly and also loud and pointy, so I conceded.

Also, there are SCP apps on android and my phone's memory is enormous.

we'll see what wins out in the end.

edit: my apologies on killing the thread. Trin, how's the adjudication going?

cat_herder fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 20, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Any update on the game situation?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

A good war takes time to mature, like a fine cheese, or wine. Only bratwurst and sauerkraut is prepared immediately

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
I unbookmarked this thread before checking to see if I was going to have to stop reading it and I guess that was completely unnecessary? Hopefully the war will come back in it's own good time.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Pinging to see if there's any word on Trin's status / LP plans.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Just posting to say I'm also curious about how things are going re: running this game, and also posting to say I am still in it whenever it should start up again.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Is our Trin the same Trin that works at Paradox? Doesn't seem like a very common handle, so I'm assuming they are. Anyways, the Paradox Trin has been pretty busy lately so it's probably just that he's too busy making money and working on EUIV to run this right now.

E: I am a big dummy who does not know things.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 7, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Crazycryodude posted:

Is our Trin the same Trin that works at Paradox?

No.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I asked the same thing. It's a reference, so multiple people exist with the same name.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Any word on if this is coming back? Or can I read the other threads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

While we wait here is some fan art I made in the video game Passpartout of our hero cutting the enemy lines of communication.

• Locked thread