Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I would like to be a grossly incompetent 98th Standard Brigade Commander. I do not know how horses work nor do I trust them, so any brigade will do as long as it isn't the Cavalry brigade.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I would love for you to be Corps Commander.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Nominating myself for Division Command if no one else wants the responsibility.

Edit: Both divisions picked up so I guess I return to 98th Standard Brigade Command

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 9, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I didn't see anyone calling for division command because you didn't bold it :argh:

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

thatbastardken posted:

if you had the tactical sense god granted a spaniard you wouldn't need to have things pointed out in bold :smug:

Ouch :(

And yeah if I'm allowed to choose brigades I've edited my posts to 98th.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Just 2 reserve brigades left then. This is going better than I expected.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

1) How likely is it the enemy is aware that we want Faibleimpot?
2) If as a brigade commander I spot an enemy brigade, can I send runners to adjacent brigades to warn them they are about to walk into a death zone?
3) Dark green is forests, lighter green are hill elevations, but what are the lime green areas?

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 9, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I think we should definitely avoid destroying the rail lines all willy nilly since we might need them ourselves for something later, but if there's no hope of holding onto them then I don't see why not.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Plan berthe seems a bit too passive for my taste. Since crossaints is strategically the best position on the map it wouldn't necessarily reveal our objective if we were to push hard for it.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I think Plan Anatole along with some scouting is a safe plan that will let us react most easily to what we see the enemy doing.

RE: Enemy deployment, they may even be already deployed in defensive positions and have the objective to hold various locations. :tinfoil:

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I feel like La Cote is important to hold at least up until we see what they are doing.

Whether we go for a 'surgical strike' on Faibleimpot should depend on whether they will be able to realistically stop us in time. We don't have to hold it for all time, just until reinforcements arrive (although this could take a very long time). Once there we need to make sure we are in a position which causes any fast response on Faibleimpot to be very costly.

I'm not actually offering any solutions because that is above my pay grade. :downs:

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

ARFLORD on Roll20 (98th Brigade)

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Rules Question

Is vision shared between all companies in a brigade?

E.g. On a completely empty map, If I have a field gun set up and have infantry in front of it that can spot a non-firing, stationary enemy, can the field gun fire on them if it is in firing range (even though it cannot see them itself)?

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

High Command has stated they will be entering the AO (generally) from the North of us, So probably the latter map is accurate.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

There are only so many lines of code the average world war 1 soldier can be programmed with. Set a limit to X lines of dot point orders including both movements and conditionals. This seems like the easiest solution. If an individual order is too complicated then the commanders tactical genius has confused the poor company commander and he will need it dumbed down.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 13, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

thatbastardken posted:

10 advance towards enemy at walking pace
20 goto 10

Drawing commands:
Lower bayonet into dirt / raise bayonet from dirt

Let's make some sick artwork

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

98th Brigade, 22nd Division

I have not made any specific plans other than I am going to a farm at some point to make sure they are clear of horses, and even that is up in the air.

Since I am going to be attacking what is probably an enemy stronghold (St. Crossaints) I'm waiting on the detailed division plan (If there are more details coming).

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

98th Brigade's Orders

98th BRIGADE will deploy in the following formation. If your companies can't fit on the battlefield like this, just show up however you like, men. I'm not fussed. JUST DO WHATEVER YOU WANT, as long as you try be in this formation as much as possible. I need to be in a line at some point to check box that I attempted to follow divisional formation orders!

- Proceed through Bois De Tigre to our rally point.
- On arrival, change formation as below to allow the 99th room to set up their guns. We're counting on them.
- All companies should remain over 12 inches from the outskirts of town to avoid German MG fire. It would be a shame to be standing around doing nothing while we all get shot by a machine gun.

Once the assault begins at the turn specified by the division commander (TURN 7):
- I will have you switch to my own personal formation I came up with after many hours locked in my study drinking. This formation protects the most valuable man on the battlefield (myself) while still providing strong firepower to the front. Advance on the enemy position of St. Croissant, and keep the rifles firing.
- If able, commence a bayonet charge once in 8" range.
- Break off the attack if 50% casualties are taken, and await further orders.

Okay, that will be all gentlemen.

B-But sir, what do we do after we capture the town of St. Croissants?

Hahaha, you must have lost your mind, recruit! I'll humor you though.

After somehow managing to kill all the Boche scum inside of the town:
- Adopt the formation presented in the diagram below. Surely by now we will have lost some men, so focus positioning companies to the front rather than the sides.
- Move through the rightmost side of Bois de Gooneville while holding your bayonets out in front of you. If you manage to stab any Germans along the way, that's fine.
- Set up the MG and companies so that it may fire on the hill to our Northwest, and keep all companies in cover of the forest.

Once the 99th reach our position:
- Fall back to allow the 99th to set up their artillery. Try to adopt the formation pictured, however make room for any 99th company.
- Keep remaining inside the cover of the forest as a priority.
- Hold this position and start entrenching while awaiting further orders.

Await further orders!

Standing orders

When sighting an enemy on Attack stance: Keep moving along original path
When attacking the enemy: Use bayonet charge
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Do not pursue
Break off automatically when: 1/2 casualties are taken

EDIT: I seem to have forgotten about two whole companies of men and I was going to leave them behind at the deployment zone. They can follow me into battle, I guess. Here's an updated formation guide, numbered in sequential order. If everything goes to plan they *should* die attacking St. Croissants.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 15, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

1. How do you feel the planning for this battle has gone, in general?
We have prepared for several contingencies however all of them require a successful push on St. Croissant. If this part of the plan fails due to overwhelming force from the Germans, the entire battle is surely lost without reinforcements.

2. How confident are you in the plans and orders that you personally have laid for this battle?
I am fairly confident I am following the general plan laid out by the commander of 22nd Division. As to whether they are the right moves, we will not know until we receive the recon from the scout plane.

3. How confident are you in fulfilling the various objectives set by the Army Commander?
I feel it could easily go either way depending on how aggressive the Germans are.

4. Is there any one aspect of the battle that seems to you will be most critical, on which success or failure is most likely to turn?
Assault on St. Croissants. I have not examined the plans of 6th Division or the Cavalry Brigade in detail, however I believe they should be assisting our brigades in the initial attack on St. Croissants. If everything is in place and the Germans have set up their forces inside of artillery range, they will be annihilated shortly after my brigade makes contact with the enemy on the St. Croissants outskirts.

5. Thinking optimistically, what do you think the likely result of the battle will be?
German High Command is full of incompetent fools who attack our fortified positions at La Cote, trying to get behind our lines. They underestimate the value of St. Croissants and do not know of our objective at Faibleimpot (or believe it will be held easily), and send only one or two brigades to hold St. Croissants. These forces sit at the outskirts ready to fire on approaching brigades, and reveal their positions by firing on my brigade. The large assault in the center combined with their losses to the East prevent them from providing adequate resistance as we hold both objectives. 30-40% of my brigade is destroyed, but remain effective in combat to the end. After moving to Bois de Gooneville, the enemy is unaware of our presence up until the artillery is in position.

6. Thinking pessimistically, what do you think the likely result of the battle will be?
The enemy has massed artillery ready to fire broadly over the entire center horizontally early on. 6th Division cannot get any men to the West, and 22nd division is picked off by rifle and artillery fire as they move between objectives so heavily that the entire division becomes ineffective.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 16, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

This doesn't look good for the 98th but that is not going to stop me from running in there trying to stab everyone in town.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

For those watching at home, I made some chits to move around the roll20 map for planning purposes of our commanders.

I had to make a new one for bicycles because I honestly did not expect bicycles for some reason.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

quote:

At the same time, or orders are pretty weird too, and I'm pretty sure 98th Brigade are the deadest brigade.

What are you talking about? The 98th will march into St. Croissants as artillery destroys everything around us, and we will emerge unscathed with the blood of a thousand enemies dripping from our bayonets.

That is what I told my men anyway.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

In case anyone didn't catch this, this enemy brigade's formation does not match what we know of the standard marching order, but I'm not sure why they would set their formation up like this with the command company directly behind the MGs if they entered battle order.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 17, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Well there's going to be a lot of targets for your artillery Loel if you survive the counterbattery. I believe the 98th should be advancing now so that will give you a bit of protection from the WAVES OF GERMAN FORCES BEARING DOWN ON US

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 17, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I think you wrote 96th a few times instead of 98th by accident, Trin.

"It all started so well; the Germans opposite the 96th look deeply unsure of themselves, and then the 96th is all, ahem, up in their grills, as the kids say."

"And the charge of the 96th causes a second German brigade, and all its artillery, to break and rout!"

I will not have my accomplishments diminished :colbert:

I'm pretty glad with the way things turned out for the 98th, except for the dying part. That was kind of bad, but I feel it was necessary to slow down any advances and stop them from getting into their desired positions. And luckily, through some RNG and artillery support, I managed to do more damage to the enemy than they did to me.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Trin Tragula posted:

No, it was the 96th who charged and broke the Germans SE of Croissant, and the 98th following up behind who then fell charging boldly into the outskirts.

Oh drat :(

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

RIP 98th, you died so that other people may attempt to kill the people killing you. :(

I don't think there's anywhere we can attack without leaving ourselves even more wide open, IMO the best thing to do now is just entrench where we are unfortunately.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I agree re: their objective location being somewhere down the Southwest. Those bicycle boys have been pedaling non-stop all day, I'm sure there is a good reason other than just seeing if there are enemies there.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Thank goodness.

If no one else is waiting to accept command in this thread or elsewhere, and if he would like to, it would be nice for Tehan to lead the Reservist force, as he was the first to be removed from the battle.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Those bicycle troops are dead men walking cycling with a turn to live or less. I hope they cycle directly into a grave, pinned beneath the spokes and gears of their infernal mangled machines.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Some peasant stumbled across them, dismantled them and turned them into farming equipment. Surely this is what has happened.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

The Brigadier pictured seems to have gotten a bit overexcited and is likely not going to be able to easily receive orders as he is well over 8" from a road.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

If there is no one interested in volunteering for cavalry reserves I will put aside my fear and suspicion of horses to take command, having learnt now to BAYONET CHARGE THE MACHINE GUN.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

"The adjudication is taking double the time it should because I keep having to pause and shake my head in utter disbelief"
- Trin Tragula, 2017

:f5:

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

175th Provisional Orders
Tehan's internet is down and asked me to post on his behalf

No change in orders. Keep proceeding to set up in the formation.

Same standing orders apply.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

It looks like they expected to take quatreprouts and St. acroissants, and abandon the rest of the map to turn them into strongholds. Those are the brigades you've indicated. There may be actual reinforcements in the Pasteur trenches though.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

HELLO I'm here for the job (any level of command anywhere)

I'll be on the roll20 in a bit, it's 7:45AM here urgh :argh:

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 6, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Voting for MY DAD as he was a good dad.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Engineers arrive late and will take 12 turns to rig the bridge to blow. See the engineer stuff in Trin's post. It makes destroying the bridges on their end not something we can realistically do at the start of the game without knowing their force composition, and it's not really something we can plan for at this stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

GIVE ME A COMMAND WHATEVER'S LEFT

EDIT: PLEASE

• Locked thread