Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

:siren: Our timetables may be one turn too late as they may deploy in front of the bridges! - As discovered by Prof. Curly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Bacarruda posted:

Armored Cars
Split the ACs into three two groups. Group 1: north to hide in the Effyaders forest to cover the M1 and the M2 by ambushing enemy forces trying to cross.
Group 2: center to cover the M4 crossing and prevent an early breakout from Stehescope.
Group 3: south to get on the 6 o'clock section of the Chemins. They will stay there 2-3 turns to harass and hamper enemy movements, then retreat by bounds over the M7 and cover the southern crossing.

Their mission is to create a much havoc as possible early on in the battle and to pin the Germans on the east side of the small river for as long as possible, buying time for the cavalry to get into position.

Use the fords to prevent enemy forces from getting off an enmasse charge off on the ACs.

Cavalry Brigade #1
Go north to secure the Effyaders Forest. Have some men with eyes on the crossings, with the rest prepared to charge weak enemy forces or harrass stronger ones with rifle, artillery, and MG fire.

Cavaltry Brigade #2
Go south to the Bois de Blob area and prevent enemy crossings of the M4 anf M7.

Engineers
Lay wire in the south to prevent a German night crossing of the river. Once the ACs are across the river, finish a roadblock on the west bank of the M7 ford.

My general concept of operations is to create as much confusion as possible amongst the German forces for as long as possible. We will use ambushes, hit-and-run tactics, and charges as needed to delay and distract enemy forces.

Concerns:
-German night moves may penetrate our lines and get behind us without knowing it.
-German horse artillery could destroy (or chase off) our armored cars, because they outrange the ACs MGs.
-German get access to infantry and heavier artillery well before we do, allowing them to outshoot any defense of the fords.

I like all of this except for splitting the cars up. The best defense they have at the sunken road is having overwhelming firepower, but splitting them up risks their lives. Taking one or two cars away and putting them elsewhere isn't too much of a problem, but if we end up splitting them into two equal groups it diminishes their firepower to a level where it may affect their survivability. I think splitting the cars will hurt us too much and they are better served all going to the sunken road as a group.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Royal Horse Artillery Unit Commander

I've just received the horse artillery units assigned to me. There is something peculiar about them but I can't put my finger on it.

UPDATE: They are responding poorly to the oats.

(An explanation: I was assigned to a unit that did not actually exist)

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 9, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

RHA Commander 7th Division Chief of Staff

I'm pleased to announce that due to my distinguished service in the handling of the horses that I have garnered the attention of a quite high ranking officer, who has promoted me to Chief of Staff for 7th Division.

Let it be known.

I have also been replaced with a computing device??? My programming allows me to:

- Giving emergency orders if $COMMANDER_NOT_FOUND (Give orders in the absence of 7th Division Commander)
- Be compatible with Order Checker 1910 Edition (Make sure all Division Orders are legal and make sense)
- Supports 16 and 32 colours (Make maps Look Nicer)
- Complementary YES/NO Electronic Decision Maker (Settle disputes between Brigadiers)

UPDATE: The RHA Unit has finally received the supplies I have requisitioned for them, I hope my replacement puts them to good use.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 9, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I have created a blank map with all roads having names and the ford crossing points for future use.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Looks good to me. It covers the most likely enemy approaches completely.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

More horses? I'm interested.

Edit: beaten, nevermind! I'm already chief of staff of something.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 12, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Bit of a shame they got the drop on the ACs but they paid for it in blood.

I feel things aren't going poorly, we are dealing damage to their initial force they were not prepared for and hopefully are about to hold the forward position in Stethoscope, which I was pretty sure was out of our grasp. Right now they are probably freaking out in their thread about how cars can possibly be a thing in the game at this point. Could we have other cars elsewhere? They have to approach cautiously.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Something that was just mentioned in roll20 was as we have not seen any enemy engineers as of yet, if they have any (which they most likely do) I expect them to be back here building a bridge to get an approach into stethoscope via farm cover.

Edit: The only other decent-ish bridge position for them is a super sneaky bridge all the way down here:

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 16, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Yep, it's nothing to really be concerned about, but could be useful later on if some mysterious enemy squad shows up in the farm for some reason, we have some rough guidelines for indirect artillery strikes.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Or they may be paralyzed like a deer in uhh ... headlights.

I still think the answer is having an ominous, fear inducing honking coming from the woods at midnight.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

my dad posted:

Do we have any evidence of Germans having men in that trench?

Exactly 10 turns ago, German cavalry were spotted inside of the trench firing out of it, killing one of our engineers. They were not spotted since. Theoretically they could have immediately moved off, but it is more likely they have stayed the night, or sent at least some or all of their cavalry units into Bois de Blob.

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Keep in mind that regardless of what units might be hanging around Bois de Blob right now, don't lose sight of the fact that there *are* more Germans coming from the east today.

It's because of this that ideally I would like Bois de Blob and it's trench to be cleared ASAP to free the cavalry to move off and intercept any Germans that cross the ford elsewhere. I believe an immediate attack on the trench from our cavalry without infantry support is too risky, as is letting them sit there once the enemy cavalry moves off into Bois de Blob as German infantry enter the trench. If the cavalry move directly into our cavalry while Germans are in the trench behind them it'll be a total wipe.

The only other solution to free up our forces faster that I can think of is abandoning bois de blob to the enemy, however that gives them a beachhead to the south and also threatens our center positions along the ford.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 21, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I used it interchangeably with move since moving is "an attack" rather than a defence in the game's rules, but hypothetically I can't see why a conditional that says "occupy and hold any trenches you find in this area" wouldn't be allowed. I haven't been paying too close attention to the game since the division I'm in doesn't have any assets on the field yet though so the fact that that trench wasn't built at the poiint the enemy issued orders was a thing I missed.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 21, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

my dad posted:

You can't make conditionals based on erections you haven't spotted when the order was given.

e: Admittedly, a trench is the opposite of an erection.

Ah, yeah I suppose that is true. I don't remember the wording of the rules but I assumed it was to prevent someone writing "avoid all barbed wire" and didn't really think about it applying to trenches.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I'm working on some emergency divisional orders right now.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I'm available to step in for the infantry brigade once someone at Division HQ issues some direction o7

You are now in command of 20th Infantry Brigade replacing Acebuckeye13.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I would love the deadline extended as I am writing emergency orders from what is likely the opposite side of the world and only just woke up.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

:siren: Emergency Orders for 7th Division

ORDER OF BATTLE

Arriving Turn 49:
20th Infantry Brigade (Terrifying Effigies)
21st Infantry Brigade (milaneza)

Arriving Turn 51:
Artillery Brigade (lenoon)

Arriving Turn 57+:
22nd Infantry Brigade (Istvun)

Objective: Sweep through and around the outskirts of Bois de Blob with cavalry support from 6th Division and destroy all enemies, then secure Trench J and the two trenches running parallel to M4 and M5 crossing. Fill the trenches as best you can and then deploy remaining companies in Bois de Blob in supporting positions. Charge the enemy on sight, but do not pursue fleeing enemies. Our goal is to set up along the ford.

20th Brigade: Proceed from your deployment zone in battle formation to the Southern half of Bois de Blob, approaching from the West. Move directly into Bois de Blob upon arrival. Expect enemy contact at this point. Once Bois de Blob has been cleared of enemies, proceed towards Trench J and occupy it, facing towards the ford, and hold position.

21st Brigade: Proceed from your deployment zone in battle formation to the Northern half of Bois de Blob, approaching from the Valley. On approach, try to cover as much of Bois de Coq as possible in case some cavalry scouts managed to get that far, but if it will delay your arrival at Blob, ignore this. Move directly into Bois de Blob upon arrival. Expect enemy contact at this point.Once Bois de Blob has been cleared of enemies, proceed towards the twin trenches to the Northeast of Bois de Blob and occupy them, facing towards the ford, and hold position.

22nd Brigade: You won't be arriving this turn! Not sure what to do with you yet, but you will probably be showing up to man trenches at Foret de Effyaders later on.

Artillery Brigade: Move down the central road from Effyaders and set up in front of the valley. You don't need to move as far forward as indicated, as long as you are within 40" of the ford crossings to the South and North. You will be supporting our front line with indirect fire when the enemy has been spotted.

Division Command Chit: Follow the 20th Brigade in (but keep ~8" distance behind them) and park just next to the road. Entrench on arrival and establish telephone connection with Corps Command. If the 20th or 21st is fighting directly in front of you then halt until the fighting has ceased.

Please give feedback regarding ways this emergency plan can be improved while still sticking to the general plan outlined by Corps Command. I'm not very good at this!

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 23, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Istvun posted:

That artillery location is too far back to support the ford crossings. The guns need to be basically at the eastern edge of the vallee to reach people crossing.

Fixed.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I'd like to recommend that the 21st approach through Saucisson Vallee, since units inside the valley are invisible to those outside. That would both check to make sure the valley is clear as well as allow you to sneak up on Bois de Blob from the west.

This seems reasonable. While doing so, I would like the 21st to move and clear through as much of Bois de Coq as possible without compromising arrival time at Blob, if it can be done. If it can't, then we won't worry about it.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 22, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Since this is the first time 7th Division has given orders, here is the Historian's Survey.

1. How do you feel the planning for this battle has gone, in general?

2. How confident are you in the plans and orders that you personally have laid for this battle?

3. How confident are you in fulfilling the various objectives set by the Army Commander?

4. Is there any one aspect of the battle that seems to you will be most critical, on which success or failure is most likely to turn?

5. Thinking optimistically, what do you think the likely result of the battle will be?

6. Thinking pessimistically, what do you think the likely result of the battle will be?

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 23, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Regarding the spotter plane, I have no strong feelings regarding any of the locations, however I am curious if they have any troops to the North.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

thatbastardken posted:

My sincerest and most profound apologies for my absence, I've been having a 'Moltke Moment' TM. Normal service will resume shortly.

I've been enjoying my time running things, it's okay :)

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Things went pretty well. I was fairly certain they would have remained where they were until they saw a high value target. There's no reason to have your cavalry set to charge out of such a valuable spotting position without a very good reason.

My only minor concern was the German brigadier was a bit overzealous and would have tried rush into Bois de Coq, if they managed to do that during the night we wouldn't have any artillery right now. I didn't think they would do that since that's a very risky move for the Germans.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Loel posted:

I think we'll be seeing increased caution, given whats happened his last two advances.

From their perspective, they just had their southern scouts completely overwhelmed with 2 infantry brigades we just had lying around to go on a search and destroy mission. If they planned on attacking the south and aren't ready to proceed right now they will probably reconsider and try another approach.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

mllaneza posted:

drat. The 21st goes out of command if we occupy those trenches. welp, that's exactly where we need infantry so i guess we bite the bullet.

The Division Command Chit only just arrived, so it can move elsewhere. It hasn't even begun setting up where it is, so it can move forward into blob or go somewhere else entirely.

We came up with this position to cover all Brigade Command Chits, be 8" from the road, and be in cover.

:siren: TBK :siren: are you taking over this round? I haven't made any solid plans yet.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 24, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Istvun posted:

Does the division commander need to be within 8" of a road, or is it different for hooking into the telephone lines? I sore of thought they needed to be right by the road.

The reason the division commander wants to be 8" from a road and entrenched is that those are the conditions required to use the telephone.

Brigade Commanders don't need to worry about this since they don't have any phones.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

:siren: Emergency 7th Division Orders :siren:

OBJECTIVE: Proceed with sweeping the unscouted forest and establish a line along the ford. We do not know for certain Effyaders is clear of Germans, and it has potential to be used by the enemy for engaging or allowing counter-battery against our artillery, particularly the Southwestern corner.
Division Command: Move to the following position and entrench, set up phone etc.:

Incoming Brigades

22nd Brigade: Move from the Easternmost deployment point along the North side directly East. Upon entering Foret de Effyaders, proceed Southward to ensure the forest is clear of enemies which may have moved in overnight. Once you have arrived at or close enough to the edge, head to the Eastern trenches in the forest. Position yourselves along the entire trench line. Currently you are not authorised to cross the ford under any circumstances.

Brigades currently on the field

20th Brigade: No new orders.

21st Brigade: No new orders.

Artillery Brigade: No new orders.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 25, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

In roll20 we were entertaining the idea of ditching the center entirely and sending the 21st North. The basis for this is the center is the weakest position, has already had a cavalry scouting attack launched on it, and can be defended from the woods.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I'm a bit annoyed I played down the possibility of them building a bridge there simply because "It is a thing I would do if I was a German, but I think I am generally an unconventional commander." :argh:

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Loel posted:

What do you predict they will do next? :D

Well, if I was them I would post our exact troop compositions and positions in the recruitment thread, but then again, I think I am generally an unconventional commander.

Real answer: I'm pretty sure the southern bridge plan was just to dump some fire support and infantry across the ford along with the cavalry to do some behind enemy lines assassinations / be as annoying as possible / provide targets to their artillery. Once they found out that I sent two brigades of infantry down on their cavalry's head, they panicked and threw some barbed wire up on the bridge, and rushed their infantry across with fire support to try stop us getting back in our trench / make life there difficult, but overall were not prepared for the level of resistance they face now. I'd be surprised if they have more than one infantry brigade, so I'm not really worried too much about the South at all. After we drop some shells on their head, they'll scatter back across the ford and that will be the last we see of them in the area.

They've already tried sending some cavalry units through the center and they were annihilated, so I'm not too worried about that.

The North is where they will be focusing their efforts since they have committed their artillery and infantry to that location and have managed to break through. They will try keep the pressure on, with the goal of holding the entire Effyaders forest. If they get it we will be forced to retreat to the fallback trench, since having them pop out anywhere of effyaders at any moment isn't something we can live with.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 27, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

:siren: Emergency Orders for 7th Division :siren:

Objective: Assist Northwards in Foret Effyaders and hold the South. We will turn off their fire support units through the might of artillery, leaving them to fight us head on to our advantage.

20th Brigade: No new orders. Hold position and keep firing. You will be receiving some artillery support which should allow you to win the battle.

21st Brigade: Proceed North from your position and occupy the trench in the corner of Foret Effyaders. Position your men so that you may provide rifle fire both Northwards to aid the cavalry that will soon be charging the enemy infantry brigade, but retain some ability to fire Southwards in case the enemy tries once again to cross our center barbed wire. Your priority is to fire Northwards, though.

22nd Brigade: Keep attacking and continue dodging the friendly shells. The Artillery will stop firing on your head shortly, just bear with us please. If the enemy is defeated, occupy the Northernmost trenches.

Artillery: THESE ORDERS WILL PROBABLY CHANGE AS WE DISCUSS HOW TO USE ARTILLERY GOOD. Okay, I'm going to need you to support the south as per Staff Officer (and Professor) Curly's plan. First off, lob some shells directly into the Southern enemy's fire support units (Prioritise Field Guns, MGs, and Infantry, in that order) for an hour or so. Then, I'm going to need you to move forwards slightly and drop some counter-battery on the enemy artillery hiding in the Farm in the North, just beyond the ford. At nightfall, be ready to move again.

Forget all that, everything is in mortal danger right now so we are going to eliminate ALL THREATS at once. I'm sure you will approve once we get into the details. If you don't have time to mess around with the individual shot locations, We've put up some plans in roll20 accross several maps labelled Turn 1 Artillery, Turn 2 Artillery etc. you can screenshot in to your posts that should work out well enough. I've included some of them here for the tricky bits. (Sorry if you feel this is treading in your domain, but the tricky bits of the plan don't have much leeway for free expression anyway).

IMPORTANT CONDITIONAL: I can't find where I put my field telephone so your orders might not get through properly. Thus, we need "Execute these orders on the turn number indicated. Do NOT start from the beginning if the orders are received late." as a conditional.

Turn 1

See this "Brigadier"? I want him DEAD. Have three guns blow him and his dumb horse up. All three should be able to hit him if you do a triangular sort of artillery strike. I don't want him getting away, or charging from a weird angle and being a jerk to our cavalry. He probably doesn't have any orders so will stay still, making him an easy target. Drop it directly on his head. gently caress him.

Put another 2 Guns on Counter-Battery. That'll make them upset. Make sure each artillery shot is hitting 2 guns at once.

Then I want ALL REMAINING GUNS (that is 3) firing South on those Germans attacking our men from out of range. We need these dealt with otherwise they are going to sit out of rifle range with their arms folded looking smug.

Here's a handy guide on optimal murder, but feel free to improvise a little. This is one of those tricky bits Make sure you hit the brigadier and all of their fire support in this strike:

Blam, another Brigadier dead. Hope he had a light lunch!

Turns 2-3

Repeat this twice, covering turns 2 and 3.

Okay, now that we've dealt with that cavalry commander, we have a few more guns to play with.

Chuck another gun on counter-battery, then fire all remaining guns South, again on their fire support and brigadier (in case we missed), any spare shots should be hitting the infantry if you can't get them all on their support elements. They will no doubt have orders to sit there firing rifles at us while their fire support does all the work.

Turn 4

This one's a bit of an unusual one. Your target this time is a non-living artificial construct. Nevertheless, it WILL die. We want to do this for 2 reasons:

1) We can hit anyone who DARES hesitate on crossing the bridge into our artillery strikes
2) Destroying the barbed wire just before nightfall will spook them into thinking we are going to have follow up units move over their bridge. They'll be forced to defend it overnight, preventing them from attacking themselves.

Beyond Turn 4

Now hopefully your bloodlust has been satiated, and you are willing to retire for the night. Starting Turn 5, limber up and move directly behind that barbed wire. There's a high chance your position was discovered by the enemy cavalry that briefly went into foret de effyaders, so moving back overnight will protect you from the guns that still remain (in case they move them forward). Directly behind the barbed wire will allow you to defend any incursions into our territory that may be going on. Therefore, provide supporting fire from now on with this conditional: You will support the nearest brigade east of you.

Make sure you edit everything into your original order post.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 1, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Did we get an answer re: if splitting artillery fire like that is allowed?

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Several people yesterday weren't sure about having some guns shoot north while others shoot south, because the rule said all guns must fire at once. There's nothing really saying they all have to shoot the same targets in a line/block I suppose, as long as you are specifying the areas the guns are firing at.

I'll be back in ~9 hours to go over the artillery plans.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 27, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

lenoon posted:

As shown so far, all my fire missions are whole battery, though splitting targets. I'll amend orders as per ARF's suggestions, but how useful are "priority orders" when there's no LOS to the targets? I'm just putting down fire on areas so at best I can hit where MGs might be, which I've looked to do in the orders above.

I didn't mean for that to sound as technical as it does, sorry! Basically with that part I just meant "try drop the majority of your shells on these things" since they can attack our infantry from range unopposed. Use best judgement re: trying to make sure these elements are disabled/destroyed before moving. Also, my division order post wasn't meant to be positive / negative criticism of your order post in any way! I wrote it independently to anything I read prior in your order post.

The only concerning thing in there that I can see is your movement position at the end of the turn is putting you way forward under the assumption the infantry will be in front of you. They definitely will not be. Not sure where we will want to actually put the artillery at this point, which is why my order ended with "be ready to move" without a destination (It will definitely be moving though).

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 27, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

lenoon posted:

Orders amended as suggested - sorry to have sounded hostile, I was more just a little puzzled.

Yeah, I understand. Don't sweat it :)

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

:siren: Oh god lenoon, sorry I didn't notice it earlier I was basically asleep when looking at the images but yeah we will need to be targetting the current positions of the field guns and MGs in the South. They're not going to be moving those, so you want to fire directly on their chits. Don't anticipate the enemy in the South charging, they can outrange our infantry and will do so until they are all dead.

On roll20 Staff Officer ProfessorCurly has been the main driving force behind our artillery strategy, he has his own dedicated map there which you really should have a look at. He's been doing some great work at making some very readable images on there.

There are a few other concerns regarding your standing orders carried over, since you will have no protection from infantry to the front you will probably want to prioritise direct fire to prevent cavalry rushing you from the center, and probably alter your retreat range.

Also as MyDad just pointed out, each artillery shot strikes a particular point the size of a unit chit. You can do some fancy stuff with these to maximise damage. Again, I highly recommend you join our roll20 and play around with them.

Edit: ALSO LENOON I WILL HAVE UPDATED ORDERS FOR YOU SHORTLY (FINAL EDITION I SWEAR)

EDIT 2: LENOON YOUR ORDERS HAVE BEEN CHANGED COMPLETELY DUE TO NEW DISCOVERIES IN THE FIELD OF ARTILLERY

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 28, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Lenoon

I have updated your artillery orders.

See the The Original Order Post

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

If you hit them first they can't hit you. That's the purpose of the initial counter-battery against the only ones that have you in range I put in the order post. The other thing is they may just keep assisting their own units and ignore counter-battery altogether, since only 3 of their guns can hit you. This is the most likely situation IMO.

If they creep forward to go full on counter-battery, our horse artillery will get some shots on them making the position untenable. I'm on roll20 if you want to discuss it in real time.

Edit: I just noticed you aren't hitting their field guns down south in your new orders. This must be done otherwise we are going to be hit by them the entire turn and there's nothing we can do about it.

Edit2: Oh yes you are, just a little bit later on. I think Trin will probably want your actual chit dropping locations for ordered fire because otherwise he has no idea how to decide where they are going to hit without bias.

I'd much rather have the field guns hit on turn 1, can you move one of the shots on the cavalry down to the field guns? If we take out the brigade commander the cavalry will literally be unable to move, and we can take them out later, whereas the South has an unknown number of chits coming.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

You probably won't get an answer for a while, but everyone is operating either under the assumption or Trin has stated somewhere that you specify the 50px square as mentioned below and then it is a dice roll on all things under it. Hence you can rotate or do whatever you want to the 50px squares. You are essentially putting chits on top of other chits and get a dice roll on everything underneath it. So just like setting up brigades to have tiny gaps for your dudes to shoot through, you can do things like barely scrape a chit and get the full effect on multiple enemies. Again, I don't know where this was stated but everyone is operating under "there is no scatter, just hit/miss die rolls" and we won't have time for another meeting before the deadline regarding what to do since I'm heading off in a few hours.

quote:

Your artillery may still use direct fire according to the rules, and is still subject to the rules about limbering and unlimbering. However, it may also use indirect fire when directed to do so. Indirect fire range is currently 40". All guns in a brigade must fire at once, and target an area equivalent to the number of chits in the brigade. (So, a brigade with one gun targets a 50px single-chit sized square; a brigade with four guns can arrange four 50px target squares however it likes; a brigade with eight guns can arrange eight squares, and so on.)

I can't find any mention of any scatter at all. Run under the assumption that your hits will land directly where you send them, and then you run die rolls on everything under the hit location. And, you definitely have to specify the hit location precisely.

• Locked thread