Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
I'll lead the glorious 6th division into glorious combat. Gloriously.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

my dad posted:

I'd like to formally nominate myself as the Corps Commander. Is everyone OK with this?

quote:

this shall be humorous

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

I'll note that I did call command of 6th Division earlier, and any attempt to usurp my position will need to contend with my pointed asides and poorly disguised contempt.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

if you had the tactical sense god granted a spaniard you wouldn't need to have things pointed out in bold :smug:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

To ensure that the British get the tea break that they need I volunteer to be a bridge commander.

?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

What do you mean 1914 is too early for a gas attack?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

nope, get in the reserve for the glorious breakthrough

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

My guess would be the Boche want St Croissants and the rail line, but their main objective will be to get as far south as possible.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

The large hill in the south-west is known locally as Le Teton, and should be a tactical priority for artillery spotting

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Général de Division Tebeka

Sorry I'm late to the strategy room, mon général, I was writing poetry and enforcing grooming standards.

I agree with the broad strokes of my comrade's plan, except for exposing half my divisional artillery north of Clemenceau village on open ground when they could just as easily support any fighting in St Croissants from the Bois de Tigre.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

tragically the official map does not name Le Teton

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 10, 2017

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

My idealized plan would be for the 6th and the 22nd to act as the two jaws of a mighty trap, the 6th pushing north and then west, the 22nd west then north. Trapping the Boches between us and crushing them utterly.

Something like this:

This does leave only the Corps reserves to plug up gaps in the line though.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

I volunteer to command the Red section of the plan, Général!

I propose a small adjustment, to satisfy the fighting spirit of my officers and men who long to throw the Boche off our sacred soil.

Permit my brigade commanders to push to Pasteur Ridge and the Bouclecourt Road, like so:

This will allow us to control the high ground to the east of St Croissants, prevents the Baguette-Nainville road from being cut, and serve as either a flanking action or divert the enemy from the attack at Faibleimpot

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

xthetenth posted:

I'm concerned that that would risk drawing the focus of Red division away from St. Croissant, leaving Blue to both take St. Croissant and build strength to push towards Faibleimpot. If anything, I'm worried that the plan as is doesn't have a strong enough westward push.

Red Division would, in my version, be diverting those forces from the line at La Cote - a brigade at most between both objectives.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Failing to occupy and move forward from La Cote renders us highly vulnerable to German flanking maneuvers or cavalry attacks addressed at our reserves or headquarters.

By all means we should fight concentrated, but not at the cost of being enveloped.

Additionally you make no provision in your plan for the attack on Faibleimpot.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 10, 2017

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A new proposal, then: Plan Agressive.

Each line of advance represents two brigades and a 'phase' of movement (Not fully measured to the speed of troops, this is purely a conceptual work at this time)

As you can see this concentrates four brigades into an assault on St Croissants, while the other half of Red Division wheels around to prevent German flank attacks while threatening the Boche to distract them from our true objective. With St Croissant taken the forces there can advance to the indicated positions and pin the enemy in place while the other half of Blue (Hopefully still fresh, or at least intact) hits Faibleimpot

The Corps Cavalry reserve, as in my esteemed comrade's plan, race to secure La Oeuf for elements of Blue division, then advance to Brioche village to secure the road there when relieved.

Reserve Infantry Brigades should be moved up in the wake of the advance to secure Clemenceau and Baguende.

I have marked the entire north as a potential German entry point, as our information does not extend to more than half the compass at this time.

Disposition of Division artillery and cavalry to be determined by the brigade commanders in accordance with field conditions.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

I concur with plan Est, as it stands.

Général Mon Pere, your thoughts?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

It takes grand courage to speak out at a staff meeting like this, son. I appreciate that. And to a large extent you are correct - March Divided, but Fight Concentrated is one of the oldest military maxims. But! Consider the terrain! A single front would be funneled by high ground, forests, and towns into areas that the Boches could hammer with artillery and rifle fire. Multiple forces, moving with elan, will be less constrained by the ground and still able to support each other.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

confirming that i am in the roll20

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Staff Officers!

6th Division needs an official cartographer to assist with MS Paint related duties, as currently my maps are as ugly as the enemy!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Plan Chardonnay order of battle:

General Mon Pere, for this battle plan I would request the assignment of both reserve infantry brigades, 8 of the corps 75mm artillery, and the corps engineers.

• Division HQ, thatbastardken - L'etat, C'est moi No attachments
  • 52nd Brigade, Comrade Koba - J'attaque! - No attachments
  • 53rd Brigade, sixkiller - J'attaque! - No attachments
  • 54th Brigade, Hephasto - J'attaque! - Divisional Cavalry
  • 55th Brigade, sullat - J'attaque! - 9x Divisional 75mm gun,
  • 119th (Reserve) Brigade, lenoon - On ne passe pas - Divisional Engineers, 4x Corps 75mm Gun
  • 120th (Reserve) Brigade, Arbite - On ne passe pas - Corps Engineers, 4x Corps 75mm Gun

Phase 1 (0700-0900)

52nd and 53rd proceed to La Cote ridge, securing it.

54th and 55th proceed to Baguette Village, securing it.

119th and 120th proceed to southern slope of La Cote ridge.

Phase 2 (0900-1100)

IF La Cote ridge IS NOT contested, 52nd and 53rd are to proceed north then west, attempting to secure Pasteur ridge from the east slope.

IF La Cote ridge IS contested, 52nd and 53rd are to destroy enemy formations in that area, supported by 119th and 120th.

IF Baguette village IS NOT contested, 54th is to remain there and dig in while 55th proceeds to St Croissants, either joining the 22nd Division assault or securing the town.

IF Baguette village IS contested, 54th and 55th are to destroy enemy formations in that area.

IF La Cote ridge IS NOT contested 119th and 120th are to assume a defensive posture, entrenching. Engineering assets are to lay barbed wire.

IF La Cote ridge IS contested, 119th and 120th are to support 52nd and 53rd against enemy formations.

Phase 3 (1100-1300)

IF any previous objectives are contested, all brigades are to destroy enemy formations they are in contact with.

IF Pasteur ridge IS NOT contested, 52nd and 53rd are to occupy the high ground and support St Croissants.

IF St Croissants IS NOT contested, 54th is to dig in to secure it. Divisional Cavalry is to be used in a scouting role.

IF Baguette IS NOT contested, 55th is to dig in and secure it.

IF La Cote ridge IS NOT contested 119th and 120th are to continue entrenching. Engineering assets are to secure further barbed wire from local farms and continue reinforcing the position.

Phase 4 (1300-1500)

IF any previous objectives are contested, all brigades are to destroy enemy formations they are in contact with.

IF Pasteur ridge IS NOT contested AND St Croissants IS NOT contested 52nd and 53rd are to proceed to the North of Pasteur ridge to intercept enemy reinforcements coming from Bouclecourt or Veine.

IF Pasteur ridge IS NOT contested AND St Croissants IS contested 52nd and 53rd are to support 54th in defense of the town.

IF St Croissants IS NOT contested, 54th is to continue entrenching. Divisional Cavalry is to be used in a scouting role.

IF Baguette IS NOT contested, 55th is to continue entrenching and provide artillery support to St Croissants and Pasteur Ridge.

IF La Cote ridge IS NOT contested 119th and 120th are to continue entrenching. Engineering assets are to begin laying roadblocks on the low ground below the W edge of La Cote.

Phase 5 (1500-1700)

IF Pasteur ridge IS NOT contested AND St Croissants IS NOT contested AND no enemy reinforcements are apparent 52nd and 53rd are to move W to attack Veine.

IF Pasteur ridge IS NOT contested AND St Croissants IS contested 52nd and 53rd are to support 54th in defense of the town.

IF St Croissants IS NOT contested, 54th is to continue entrenching. Divisional Cavalry is to be used in a scouting role.

IF Baguette IS NOT contested, 55th is to continue entrenching and provide artillery support to St Croissants and Pasteur Ridge.

IF La Cote ridge IS NOT contested 119th and 120th are to continue entrenching. Engineering assets are to continue laying roadblocks and barbed wire in support of defensive positions.

Phase 6 (1700-1900)

IF Pasteur ridge IS NOT contested AND St Croissants IS NOT contested AND no enemy reinforcements are apparent AND Veine is not contested 52nd and 53rd are to move W to attack Faibleimpot.

IF La Cote ridge IS NOT contested 119th and 120th are to continue entrenching. Engineering assets are to continue laying roadblocks and barbed wire in support of defensive positions.

Phase 7 (1900-2030)

IF Pasteur ridge IS NOT contested AND St Croissants IS NOT contested AND no enemy reinforcements are apparent AND Veine is not contested AND Faibleimpot is not contested 52nd and 53rd are to secure Faibleimpot.

Fader Movitz posted:

Staff officer F. Movitz reporting for duty, how can I be of assistance?

Ah, Movitz, good. Can you turn your excellent penmanship and artists eye to illustrating my strategic vision? I've got important brandy to drink.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 12, 2017

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

For the record, all current division level planning seems to be focused on modifications of Plan Chardonnay, responding to the various colour cases for German advance

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

unless stationed in the outskirts

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Revised order of battle:

• Division HQ, thatbastardken - Role: Command and Control, Link to Corps HQ
  • 52nd Brigade, Comrade Koba - Role: Scouting, Attack, Maneuver - Divisional Cavalry, 1x Corps 75mm Gun
  • 53rd Brigade, sixkiller - Role: Attack, Maneuver - 1x Corps 75mm Gun
  • 54th Brigade, Hephasto - Role: Attack, Maneuver - No Attachments
  • 55th Brigade, sullat - Attack, Support - 9x Divisional 75mm gun,
  • 119th (Reserve) Brigade, lenoon - Defense, Support - Divisional Engineers, 3x Corps 75mm Gun
  • 120th (Reserve) Brigade, Arbite - Defense, Support - Corps Engineers, 3x Corps 75mm Gun

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

10 advance towards enemy at walking pace
20 goto 10

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Finalized order of battle:

• Division HQ, thatbastardken - Role: Command and Control, Link to Corps HQ
  • 52nd Brigade, Comrade Koba - Role: Scouting, Attack, Maneuver - Divisional Cavalry, 1x Corps 75mm Gun
  • 53rd Brigade, sixkiller - Role: Attack, Maneuver - 1x Corps 75mm Gun
  • 54th Brigade, Hephasto - Role: Attack, Vanguard- No Attachments
  • 55th Brigade, sullat - Attack, Support - 9x Divisional 75mm gun,
  • 119th (Reserve) Brigade, lenoon - Defense, Support - Divisional Engineers, 3x Corps 75mm Gun
  • 120th (Reserve) Brigade, Arbite - Defense, Support - 3x Corps 75mm Gun

Gentlemen. 6th Division are in the honorable position of being most likely first to face the foe today. General Mon Pere relies on us to hold the north and pave the way for our bold comrades in the 22nd to smash the foe with their counterattack. The blood of our martyrs shall water the meadows of France. Your orders are in these perfumed envelopes, on stationary purchased at vast expense. Go, do your duty.

And as always, Kill Hitler.

All Brigades:

• If in contact with the enemy, hold position and attack with support where possible
  • Preserve your forces - not to the point of timidity, but be mindful of the circumstances
  • If your situation appears critical, you may withdraw to Clemenceau or La Cote, but no further.

52nd Brigade Objectives
  • Scout and secure La Cote Ridge
  • If La Cote is threatened, destroy enemy forces, then move into the forest south of Pasteur ridge
  • Reinforce or support the assault on Saint Croissant
  • Secure St Croissant against counter attack
  • (secondary) Maintain contact with 53rd Brigade

53rd Brigade Objectives:
  • Secure La Cote Ridge
  • If La Cote is threatened, destroy enemy forces, then move into Baguette village
  • Reinforce or support the assault on Saint Croissant
  • Secure Baguette against counter attack
  • (secondary) Maintain contact with 52nd Brigade

54th Brigade Objectives:

• Make best speed to Bois de Baguette
  • Assault and secure Saint Croissant - this attack is to be coordinated with elements of 22nd Division, and must take place no later than 1200 hours
  • Once Saint Croissant is secure proceed to Veine village,
  • Once Veine is secured attack overland to secure Faibleimpot.
  • (secondary) Maintain contact with 55th

55th Brigade Objectives:

• Make best speed to Baguette village
  • Use artillery to deny Pasteur ridge to the enemy
  • Use artillery to support 54th assault on Saint Croissant/
  • Once Saint Croissant is secured follow 54th to Veine Village, supporting and reinforcing as necessary.
  • Once Veine is secured follow 54th to Faibleimpot, supporting and reinforcing as necessary.
  • (secondary) Maintain contact with 54th

119th Reserve Brigade Objectives

• Proceed to La Cote ridge south, following 52nd brigade
  • Reinforce or support any action to secure La Cote Ridge
  • Once the ridge is secure, occupy Baguende and the southern ridge
  • Entrench and fortify that position
  • Hold until relieved.
  • (secondary) Maintain contact with 120th

120th Reserve Brigade Objectives:

• Proceed to La Cote ridge north, following 53rd brigade
  • Reinforce or support any action to secure La Cote Ridge
  • Once the ridge is secure, occupy the northern ridge
  • Entrench and fortify that position
  • Hold until relieved.
  • (secondary) Maintain contact with 119th

Divisional HQ objectives:
  • Occupy Livredepot until 10am
  • Move to Baguende
  • Occupy Baguende

maps, because apparently some big babies refuse to go to war without visual aids:

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 14, 2017

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

ooc - this is subject to some further deliberation, just wanted to get something out so my brigade commanders can start planning.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Comrade Koba posted:

Général de brigade Comrade Koba

Orders for 52nd Brigade

Brigade will enter the field deployed in the formation below:

Brigade will then march towards La Cote, as indicated by the arrow. Cavalry company will move ahead of the main column and scout the advance.

Upon reaching the objective, the brigade will take up positions on the eastern half of La Cote, as pictured below.

Standing orders

When sighting an enemy on Attack stance: Keep moving along original path
When attacking the enemy: Use rifle fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Pursue the enemy
Break Off automatically when: 2/3 casualties are taken

Good formating, but you're taking the wrong route north. Please check with Staff Officer Slim Pickens for remedial orienteering.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

l'Sabbat Noir posted:

Généraux réunis dans leurs masses
Tout comme les sorcières aux masses noires
Les esprits maléfiques qui tracent la destruction
Sorciers de la construction de la mort
Dans les champs, les corps brûlent
Comme la machine de guerre tourne
Mort et haine envers l'humanité
Envenimer leurs cerveaux
Oh seigneur oui!
Les politiciens se cachent
Ils ont seulement commencé la guerre
Pourquoi devraient-ils sortir pour se battre?
Ils laissent ce rôle aux pauvres
Ouais
Le temps parlera de leur pouvoir
Faire la guerre juste pour s'amuser
Traiter les gens comme des pions dans les échecs
Attendez que leur jour du jugement arrive
Ouais!
Maintenant dans l'obscurité, le monde s'arrête
Cendres où brûlent les corps
Plus de porcs de guerre ont le pouvoir
La main de Dieu a frappé l'heure
Journée de jugement, Dieu appelle
Sur les genoux, le cochon de guerre rampe
Mendier la miséricorde pour leurs péchés
Satan riant écarte ses ailes
Oh seigneur oui!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

could all brigade commanders please confirm you have received your orders? a simple oui will suffice.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Tehan posted:

I for one stand ready to give the lives of my men for the glory of France :black101:

More detailed orders to follow sometime today.

excellent, please pop in to the roll20 when you can.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Comrade Koba posted:

These were the orders given; no particular route to the objective was specified.

In the future, try to include any specifics with the orders so us brigade commanders don't have to flip through the entire thread and double check the Roll20 to make sure we didn't miss something. :)

Will try to amend the orders, but I'm not sure I'll have the time to do it today.

No huge rush, I'll work on striking a balance between clear instructions and encouraging initiative.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

To reduce my workload confusion in communications 6 Division will use the same code-phrases as 22 dive, with unit names and additional locations coded based on La Chanson de Roland.

Bacarruda posted:

COMMAND AND COMMUNICATIONS
Please note where my division HQ will be during each phase of the operation – make sure your runners know where to find me at all times.

To avoid the enemy from getting too much information if they capture a runner, use these code words:

Unit Names
  • Charlemagne– Division HQ
  • Roland – 52nd Brigade
  • Oliver – 53rd Brigade
  • Turpin -- 54th Brigade
  • Godefery – 55thBrigade
  • Milon -- 119th Reserve Brigade
  • Othon -- 120th Reserve Brigade

Actions
  • Attack – Austerlitz
  • Defend – Leipzig
  • Move -- Borodino
  • Battle Order – Grenadier
  • Marching Order – Chasseur

Locations

• Clemenceau – Breakfast
  • St. Croissant – Lunch
  • Bois de Gooneville – Dinner
  • Frais-Champs – Stables
  • Le Oeuf – Le Teton
  • Dejeunner – Mademoiselle
  • Brioche – Cheese Factory
  • La Sanglante Femme – Matterhorn
  • Bois de Haute – Le Paul Bunyan
  • Veine – Hamlet
  • Faiblempot – Kitchen
  • Baguende - Sargossa
  • La Cote - Roncevaux
  • Baguette - Oltre Mer
  • Pastuer Ridge - Aix
  • Bois de Baguette - Ebro
  • Nainville - Babylon

QUESTIONS?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Slim Jim Pickens, Chief of Staff

Brigadier General, the current orders you have submitted has your brigade entering the battlefield behind even the reservists! I would not object to your orders otherwise, but this is a serious case of deployment most a coq en haut.

Please change you initial position to be more like so:

I have been informed by the highest possible power (Trin) that this is acceptable, and our overall plan hinges on aggressive action from your brigade most immediately.

Confirming that this is a legitimate instruction. I appreciate that you have other duties to attend to, General Koba, but some time in the Roll20 planning salon might help make the intent of our strategy a little clearer for you.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

General de Division Tebeka

To explain some of our strategic thinking:

We are outrageously drunk at all times

General Mon Pere is concerned that the Boche outnumber us locally, and insists on maintaining a posture from which we can repel assaults against our deployment zone, while still committing enough forces to seize our objectives should the battle go our way easier than expected.

General Bacarruda would prefer to solidy concentrate our forces in the center and make continuous strikes until the day is won.

I would prefer a bold flanking manuever to the north, cutting the Boche off from reinforcements while trapping them against our lines.

Chief of Staff Pickens makes recommendations based on worst case scenarios of rapid and effective enemy deployment.

Then we all argue about the best way to get sight lines for artillery and how far a Cavalry company can scout.

quote:

Have I attached the Divisional assets to brigades?
Have I given legal orders for the movement of my Divisional HQ?
Have all my brigadiers given legal orders?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Gommier Rouge posted:

Maman et papa et Denny ont vu le défilé défilé à Puckapunyal
C'était une longue marche des cadets
Le sixième bataillon était le prochain à la tournée et c'était moi qui a dessiné la carte
Nous avons fait Canungra et Shoalwater avant de partir

Et Townsville aligné les sentiers comme nous avons marché vers le bas au quai
Cet écrêtage du papier nous montre jeune et fort et propre
Et il ya moi en moi chapeau slouch avec moi SLR et les verts
Dieu m'aide - j'avais seulement dix-neuf

De Vung Tau équitation Chinooks à la poussière à Nui Dat
J'étais entré et sorti des hélicoptères depuis des mois
Et nous avons fait de nos tentes une maison, V.B. Et pinups sur les casiers
Et un coucher de soleil orange asiatique à travers le gommage

Et pouvez-vous me dire, docteur, pourquoi je n'arrive toujours pas à dormir?
Et la nuit est juste une jungle sombre et un aboiement M.16?
Et quelle est cette éruption qui va et vient, pouvez-vous me dire ce que cela signifie?
Dieu m'aide - j'avais seulement dix-neuf

Une opération de quatre semaines, quand chaque étape peut signifier votre dernier sur deux jambes
C'était une guerre en vous-même
Mais vous ne laisseriez pas vos compagnons baisser
Alors vous avez fermé les yeux et pensé à autre chose

Et puis quelqu'un a crié "Contact", et le mec derrière moi a juré
Nous nous sommes accrochés là pendant des heures, puis un Dieu tout-puissant rugissement
Et Frankie a donné un coup de pied dans une mine le jour où l'humanité a lancé la lune
Dieu m'aide - il rentrait chez lui en juin

Et je peux encore voir Frankie, buvant des tinnies dans le Grand Hôtel
Sur une rec de trente-six heures. À Vung Tau
Et je peux encore entendre Frankie, couché en hurlant dans la jungle
Jusqu'à ce que la morphine vint et tua la sanglante rangée

Et les légendes d'Anzac ne mentionnaient pas la boue, le sang et les larmes
Et les histoires que mon père m'a racontées ne semblaient jamais assez réelles
J'ai attrapé quelques morceaux dans mon dos que je ne me sentais même pas
Dieu m'aide, j'avais seulement 19 ans

Et pouvez-vous me dire, docteur, pourquoi je n'arrive toujours pas à dormir?
Pourquoi la chaîne Seven chopper me fait-elle frissonner?
Et quelle est cette éruption qui va et vient, pouvez-vous me dire ce que cela signifie?
Dieu m'aide - j'avais seulement 19 ans

attributed to Indochinese colonial troops

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

lenoon posted:

*reserve battalion mumbles about "recall" and "can't be expected to remember training, I'm a farmer not a soldier, scared blue and death of my life!"*

119th Reserve Battalion

After entering the field, proceed to position shown below, then follow the black arrow to Le Cote and Baguende.

Deploy as shown below, with 75mm guns unlimbering on the outskirts of Baguende, with fields of fire to the NW. Infantry arrayed as shown on the slope below. Brigade command should be in range of central infantry units.

Rifles:

Dig in, fire on any enemy target in range

Engineers:

Dig in, deploy barbed wire NE-SW along the infantry line. Free to restock when necessary.

75mms:

Fire on any enemy target on Pasteur ridge, or along the road line along the ridge. IF enemy is present in these positions, fire until enemy is no longer present. IF enemy is elsewhere, fire provisional on brigade HQ orders.

ALL: IF enemy targets are on Le Cote before we arrive, 75mm guns open fire, all ranks fix bayonets and charge.

not bad but the artillery in Baguende need to be slightly more outside the town - spread them out a little if you need to.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

General de Division Tebeka

The night before the battle General Tebeka is seated at a writing desk in his quarters in the commandeered chateau. The room smells strongly of brandy and perfume, the bed contains a selection of the finest local prostitutes. Even so, the general's face is troubled as he writes a letter to his beloved wife:

quote:

My dearest Evangeline, tomorrow I lead my division into battle to defend France against the German invaders. I have every confidence in the fighting spirit of my soldiers and the quality of their arms, and my brother officers are all as dedicated as I am to the cause of victory. But war, she is a dangerous creature, unpredictable and fierce as an unbroken horse. The Boches, for all their dishonorable and deplorable ways, are no cowards, and we can expect the battle to be hard fought. Our staff college has covered many scenarios and we have a good strategy, but no plan can account for all the vagaries of fate. Additionally we have had to replace the brigadier of one of my reserve formations due to illness, and the staff officer promoted in his stead, while very competent, is reluctant to lead men. He feels perhaps he has not earned his command. He will have his chance tomorrow, as the reserve brigades will have a key role to play in holding our flank. Of course, on a night like this a man's mind turns to all that he could have done better - have my orders been precise enough, or too restricting? I have perhaps erred on the side of optimism, and trusted in my subordinates to react should the enemy press us harder than anticipated. General Mon Pere has given us our final orders, and they are achievable with courage and God's grace. If we can take the town of S____ C________ by noon then the foe will have to dance to our tune, and we shall play them a lively one indeed. They desire to push hard to the south, and if they wish to dash themselves against our guns we will oblige them! Should things go harder, we will have to dig in our heels and give them the bayonet. The soldiers are keen for it, but many of them are boys and have never seen war.

Evangeline, by the time this letter reaches you the battle will be done for good or ill. I will return to you, I swear it.

Yours Forever,
Alois Tebeka (General de Division)

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

:boom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

The game has reached Turn 4 and halted for the night. Neither DHQ is eligible to send runners. Update pending.

:f5:

• Locked thread