Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sullat
Jan 9, 2012
En avante, mon amis! I look forward to sending my brigade into battle with their superior elan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I can't drive 55, but I will lead them into glorious battle.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Tehan posted:

Can BHQs use their runners to communicate with other brigades, or is it solely for communicating with their DHQ?

If I am reading Trin's rules correctly, they communicate with DHQ only. And so DHQ is not able to react to developments until formally notified by a brigade that something's amiss, like an entire Hun division about to smash into an unprotected flank. If DHQ says "I send my runner to find out why the 55th isn't in position" and the response comes back "It's because they are all dead and the Germans are pouring through the gap", then they can issue new orders to have the other guys react... but only if they have runners available. Does that sound about right?

Also, I assume that if BHQ ends up being overrun, than that brigade doesn't get anymore orders, it just flounders around attempting to carry out the last set of orders, or routs?

sullat fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 9, 2017

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
While I excelled in the wine-pairing and moustache-riding classes in general's school, I may have missed a few other minor points. How far can our soldiers move in a turn, how far can they shoot? What's the deal with the pop-guns, anyway? I doubt they'll be of much use, since battles are decided by the bayonet, not by the engineer, but I am mildly curious.

As far as plans go, I propose we find the Germans, give them a jolly good thrashing, and then head over to the objective for wine and baguettes. Anyone disagree?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
If we use the cavalry to seize St. Croissants, we should definitely move to support them as quickly as possible. The Boche will likely skulk in the forest NW of the town. Not a good place for cavalry to assault, I volunteer my lads to lead the charge on the woods. They will give us a good base to move on the northern Teton

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
If we do have the cav rush forward to secure St. Croissants and its vital pastry stores, we should have infantry come to support it sooner rather than later. Both by reinforcing them and holding the flanks.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Pretty much any plan of attack is going to have to deal with the Kraut artillery being set up along the Pasteur ridge. Assuming that one of their goals is to seize the vital boulangeries of St. Croissant, they will likely set up their fiendish Krupp steel guns along the ridge to support the attack. If our artillery can set up on La Cote before they can set up, it will allow us to have an advantage in the artillery duel, as well as supporting an attack up the hill to spike the guns. The downside, of course, is that it would limit our artillery to action on the eastern side of the map, since it takes forever for those lazy engineers to set up and take down their guns.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Bacarruda posted:

Why are we assuming the Germans will have a bigger deployment area than us?

Faiblempot is our objective -- it makes sense to me that the Germans will be coming at us from that direction. In which case, we'll be abel to get Pasteur first, if we chose to do so.

Yes, if the Germans deploy from the Faiblempot/Veine roads, then the easiest path of their advance would be down those roads towards Le Oeuf and St. Croissant via the Bois de Gooneville. However, they may also be advancing down from Bouelcort instead. Would it be possible to send one of these new-fangled aeroplanes out to see where the enemy is advancing from? I am not sure if the aeroplane has any significant role in the noble art of warfare, but I suppose if High command saw fit to attach one to our little army, we may as well humor them by attempting to use it.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
General Francois Sullat reporting for the planning conference.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Still here, will put up orders tomorrow after work. Deadline is 2/15, right?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
:siren:55th Brigade's orders:siren:

We march onto the map, in battle stance, singing la Marseillaise like so:

The brigade's band strikes up a jaunty tune as we head NW across the fields of la France towards Baguette.

If the vile Hun is spotted sacking the town of Baguette, we deploy like so. Once the artillery has delivered 75 mm justice to the Boche, we will advance into the town to sweep out the remainder.

If no Germans are spotted in Baguette, and/or once the town is cleared of the Hun, we switch to defensive stance and take up positions in and around Baguette like so. Manhandling the artillery into position if necessary. Placing some of the artillery on the W outskirts of the town.

Like true Gentlemen, we will graciously allow the 54th to assault the town while we provide fire support. Once they have finished this task, and no living Germans are in sight, we will limber up the artillery, switch to attack stance and head North, keeping pace with the 54th, like so.

If the enemy is spotted on Pasteur ridge, we will stop, switch to defensive stance, allow the artillery to unlimber in position to shell the enemy into oblivion. Otherwise, we will continue on to Veine and support the 54th's attack like so, switching to defensive stance. It is anticipated that all companies will still be with us thanks to our superior elan and the enemy's uncertain moral fibre, but if not, the position can be condensed somewhat.

Standing orders
When sighting an enemy on attack stance, switch to defend.
When attacking an enemy use rifle fire.
When an enemy company breaks off, do not pursue.
Break off at 1/2 casualties.

Conditional orders
It is anticipated that we shall be in Baguette by lunchtime; I shall set up my BHQ in the finest restaurant still standing. I will have roast duck in orange sauce, paired with a fine merlot. If duck is not available, then I will have the veal cutlets cooked with apple, and of course, lightly seared asparagus on the side. Assuming the battle for St. C is won, I shall regretfully go without dessert; if the battle continues for some time, I will have crepe suzette with a glass of brandy. Two if time allows.

sullat fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 16, 2017

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Unless I am mistaken, brigade HQ does need to be near the brigades in case orders need to be altered on the fly. If you don't stay within 8" of your mans, you can't order them around.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

It's not against the rules per se, it's just very bad for your units if the brigadier is too busy eating brioche to respond to Boche

Right, although I don't have the authority to order my fellow brigadiers to stay with theur brigades, this is a polite suggestion.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

xthetenth posted:

I am arguing incredibly hard and fretting massively over a few inches on my fallback position. I'm convinced everyone else in the staff hates me, but that's alright the boche will too.

Conceptually the idea for the fallback is on turn three there's a real danger of infantry coming down from Veine via the Bois de Gooneville road, and they'd mince me artillery or no, so I'm going to instead drop back to the T junction or maybe behind it. The question is do I sit at the T junction which has the advantage of being in arty range of Croissant and the significant disadvantage of being in arty range of Croissant about two turns before our arty sets up at Clemenceau.

I am unreasonably terrified by this because I don't do plans that aren't aggressive, I am a cavalryman with elan dammit.

Also, I met a very tall actress with very large slippers so I might have had way too much champagne. I blame the boche.

I will no doubt end up at the spear point against a full division and destroyed utterly just in time to be reincarnated as a reservist of shudder infantry.

Infantry will be marching up the Clemencau road, calculate how long it will take them to get to the T-junction, and then fall back far enough that your pursuers get T-boned by an advancing infantry column,

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
The 55th's orders are complete.

1. How do you feel the planning for this battle has gone, in general?
Splendid, splendid.

2. How confident are you in the plans and orders that you personally have laid for this battle?
A work of art; a masterpiece. I anticipate that my orders will be taught for generations to come as an example to all other would-be brigadiers.

3. How confident are you in fulfilling the various objectives set by the Army Commander?
The idea that we might not fulfill the objectives is both ridiculous and insulting.

4. Is there any one aspect of the battle that seems to you will be most critical, on which success or failure is most likely to turn?
Who gets there the firstest with the mostest.

5. Thinking optimistically, what do you think the likely result of the battle will be?
The Germans will break upon our magnificent ranks like waves on the rocks of La Manche.

6. Thinking pessimistically, what do you think the likely result of the battle will be?
The restaurant in baguette will be out of duck and brandy, and the veal will be overdone.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Also, I'm worried that the riflemen won't have enough sense to move 2" away from the guns without a change of formation or something.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Well, it will be frustrating if they slip out of our grasp, but we still have three brigades advancing on Baguette, there will be sharp fighting there soon enough. While the fighting is going on there, an order can be sent to the reserves to advance on Pasteur ridge. The 54th is going to be in for a world of hurt, though.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Omigosh. It's like Christmas. Is there going to be a pile of dead Germans under the tree?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Loel posted:

Plz tell me my main guns are firing :ohdear:

Same...

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Stuck at work, stupid gainful employment.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
It looks like my arty was repositioning itself on turn 6, so I gues it wasn't able to fire turn 7. I am a little alarmed at all the Huns swarming my HQ, have my adjuntant fetch me my sword! And a white hankerchief, just in case.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

A third German brigade has had enough! It blanches at the sight of the 55th's gun line and throws in the towel, the sausage-sucking surrender snakes!

Sir, I believe you are mistaken. They quailed at facing me in combat, the blaggards!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
As far as casualties are concerned, it looks like 1914 battles in ww1 have about a 1: 3:2 ration in terms of killed, wounded, or captured. So "only" 2000 dead for us, with 6000 wounded and 4000 captured. Although the captured and many of those wounded are out of the war for good.

sullat fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 19, 2017

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Hey Trin, can I reshuffle my formation to take into account losses & battlefield conditions without receiving an order from Division HQ?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Here is the proposed defensive line... any critiques? If the infantry gets too far ahead of the guns, they'll be pulverized without recourse.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Are we calling reinforcements? If we do, we should do it sooner rather than later. While there is a battle line to reinforce.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

my dad posted:

Reshuffling chits that need to be stationary to fire while the enemy poses a risk of entering their range at any time. Yup. That's what we should be doing. :v:

The proposed layout deoesn't move the arty, fortunately.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
:siren:55th Brigade's orders:siren:

Expected change of orders upon receipt of a runner from HQ:

All orders to advance are immediately cancelled. The brigade will re-form like so:

Note that the artillery is to stay exactly where it is and keep firing until no Germans are visible. Under no conditions is it to stop shooting at any and all visible Germans. If no Germans are visible, everyone is to entrench like a [insert appropriate regional stereotype here].

Standing orders:
When sighting an enemy on attack stance, switch to defend.
When attacking an enemy use rifle fire.
When an enemy company breaks off, do not pursue.
break off at 2/3rds casualties. Save the guns!

sullat fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 21, 2017

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Looking back at the last game, we have to avoid the mistake of acting timidly. We have managed to contain the Germans to about 1/3rd of the battlefield and we need to do all we can to keep them pinned.

Even though we're slightly ahead on # of destroyed companies, we have 1 routed brigade and 3 shattered ones to their 3 routed. We need to co-ordinate attacks and hope that they stay piecemeal; although that mass of 5 enemy brigades clustering around St. C indicates that they are going to have local superiority there.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Edited my orders, to be issued upon receipt of a runner from Division HQ.

Glad to see the lads of the 119th coming to join us!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Complimenting him won't improve our initiative rolls. Although I guess it couldn't hurt them, so thanks, Trin!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Fall back? Is it October already?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Well, those were certainly two bloody hours. Neither army is in any shape for offensive action, although if they make a push in the east I am not confident in our ability to hold them off. Will need yet another runner if I am to fall back. If they advance, my gunline will get at least two turns of fire on them. That being said, if they are defending, we'll get to paste their front line with impunity and if they have any arty to drag up, we'll get a free shot on them.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

quote:

My centre is giving way, my right is retreating, situation excellent, I am attacking.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I think ordering my brigade to fall back at this point is premature. If the enemy are on the defense, as we are, it will take them at least two turns under fire to be able to spike the guns. If ordered, I will have the men conduct an orderly retreat, covered by the guns on Clemenceau if, say, the enemy brigades manage to cross gaps between the forest. But that would forfeit the opportunity to fire at them one last time before they close.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
So they manhandled the arty from the farm up to position last turn. They may have orders to scoot around just out of range picking off infantry companies to force morale checks.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Huzzah, three cheers for the British! As far as deploying them at Haltebruite is concerned, while I have no objection to "blooding the lads" by sending them unsupported against two entrenched German brigades, don't you think we should provide them with a little artillery support? If they come from the south, they can link up with the 97th and advance under the cover of the guns of Clemencau.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

my dad posted:

My goal is not to grind down the Germans in a battle of attrition. It is to seize the main objective and drive them from the field.

Well, whatever we do, we're going to lose a lot of men. Keep in mind we no longer have eyes on the arty that used to be at ferme de confit; they are probably being lugged up to hit the eastern flank, but the could also be on the hill overlooking the bois de goonville soon as well.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Loel posted:

Eta 6 hours, the bastards wont pay me if I dont come to work :argh:

I know, right? I will be on in 7-8 hours. But I don't think I need to issue any orders this phase. Either they charge me and we go down firing, or they don't and the 53rd moves up to support me in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
My role this next 4 turns is largely passive; my current set of orders should resolve either possibility. I don't think shuffling my chits around will be helpful, so I don't think I'll need a runner this phase. If you do have any last minute orders, let me know in the thread, I will check it occasionally at work.

• Locked thread