Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Opsec!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

my dad posted:

The message is only to be sent by Trin between the moment of adjudication starting and the moment the next turn is posted, and not a moment sooner.

Sounds good.

So far, the lesson of the past few turns have been that two charging brigades will gently caress up a single brigade pretty well. Whatever we do, we shouldn't leave someone alone. Also, we have ceded some of the initiative to the enemy. That being said, I certainly suspect that the east is quiet for now, given tat the 1.5 brigades on Pasteur have withdrawn behind their arty, and the third brigade has reached the "safety" of Baguette.

I suspect that the brigade in Baguette and St. C will remain on the defense, meaning that we have the opportunity to defeat the enemy in detail. I suggest we leave the 120th to anchor our lines from any unexpected offensive would be prudent, and move the 52nd and 53rd to bolster the attack from Clemenceau ridge. It will take some time for them to march over, however, time that we don't have. The Germans seem to be caught up in the blood lust typical of their race. Consumed by rage, the brigade within range of the guns on Clemenceau will hopefully charge our prepared defenses, while the westernmost brigade will carry on their wanton path of destruction towards the defenseless villages of the region. I suggest we move the brigade from Flanderschamps south and the incoming BEF northwest to crush the remaining enemy in the sector between them. With those offending brigades removed, then we can move on St. C and eventually, faiblempot. This may compel the Germans in the east to react, but the 55th and 120nd should be able to see them off. And if they decide to charge out of Baguette towards the 99th, well, the little barbed wire surprise should hold them off.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I will put orders up this evening, GMT-08. Once again, though, lowest priority for runners since I'm just sending a company to hide in Baguende. General Tebeka, any recommendations for a restaurant in the town? Since it has been free of the rampaging Hun, perhaps we will have a proper meal today.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
FYI Hephasto, there's no benefit to remaining in marching order if you're not using the roads. So unless Trin has specified for you to use marching order, come on in in battle order to save the one turn of switching from marching order to battle order.

Also, unlimbering the guns takes one full turn, as does re-limbering them. If you're moving them in short bursts, they should be manhandled. E: Just saw they have to be limbered. Disregard the manhandling suggestion. Should have known that Edwardians wouldn't approve of manhandling things.

sullat fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 25, 2017

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Adjusting my formation to stick this little rifle company up to Baguende to hide out in the outskirts of the town and keep an eye on things from the top of the hill. All other companies are to shoot at the enemy if he pokes his ugly head out, or, failing that, keep digging in! The little rifle company can also dig in once he reaches baguende.

All current standing orders remain the same.

sullat fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 25, 2017

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Edited my orders. Are final now!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Well, if we can crush the enemy on dejeuner ridge in the next 4 turns, we will be in a good position to roll up the enemy line. Night attack on St C led by the BEF and dismounted cav, anyone?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
The guys on top of Pasteur ridge should be visible from our lines if they're bumbling around. I think it's 40" from the second level of a hill. The guys in the valley could be sneaking up on Baguette, I suppose, but Baguette is already full of Germans now.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
They have sight on the enemy now, right? So their orders could be to bayonet charge towards the bois de bacon; the guns on the north side of the ridge will not be able to fire until 3 turns out, so hopefully the BEF lads can be in melee with the surviving rifle companies before then. The screening brigade is going to be playing MG duel with the forces in Graisse, that should keep them busy enough.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Loel posted:

... lol, the Graisse boys are told to flee the hill, let the enemy take it, and then are told to charge right back up. :v:

I meant the BEF, not the Graisse boys

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Loel posted:

I still get a chuckle thinking about it :D

Can't you picture the memoirs....

edit: But yes, bayonet charge supported by the 155s means we have less terrain to cover under sight of the enemy guns. We can hope it disrupts them from taking Q.

The Grand old Duke of Mon Pere, he had ten thousand men
First he marched them up the hill
And he marched them down again
When you're up you're up
And when you're down you're down
And when you're only halfway up
You're neither up nor down!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Is there any benefit to letting the troops nap, or are they automatons that can march all day, fight all night with out any ill-effects other than the sudden case of being dead?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Loel posted:

Think they'll leave their positions? They just finished digging them.

If they think that their gambit towards 4pouts will work, they will stay on the defensive. Because we're the ones in danger of an auto-lose. But if they fear that their gambit is about to fail, they may try to crack our lines. Nighttime would be a good time to try since our arty is going to be neutered.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Do we want to try and advance our lines under cover of darkness? Otherwise, yeah, I'll shift the arty into the second line of trenches.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Orders for the 55th:

Get some rest boys, could be a long night. Send runner to Baguende for several bottles of wine for my dinner. Don't get too comfortable in those trenches, though, we won't be staying in them for very long. Otherwise, keep on keeping on. Keep your eyes peeled, though, the Boche could storm out of Baguette at any time.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Your MGs can't shoot anything if they don't have contact with a chit outside of town. rip

They should be fine as long as they are touching the edge of the town, right?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
More than merely interesting, something unexpectedly bizarre.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

thatbastardken posted:

no, we just ran out of ammo for the 75mm

We've probably used like 6 months production of 75mm shells today in our sector alone.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
We should shuffle the chits around in the east so that the infantry is ahead of the arty so that the enemy contacts them first. And then pull the infantry back just before dawn. Or we could try and push the trenches forward so that the enemy is in range ere the rising of the sun. I expect they will try the latter.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

my dad posted:

Does artillery count towards brigade losing morale checks? If it doesn't, then I actually prefer keeping it forward.

It does not. So you think the battle won't last longer than the night? If it lasts until daytime, the arty will once again rule the non-cavalry parts of the field.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
The water/astral bless seems to have served our ponymans well.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

I think we need to set conditionals around killing the runner. As in if he is still alive then we press on forward and try to kill enough Boche so that they flee before enemy reinforcements can come.

Unfortunately, the runner is going to survive this day. Our goals for winning are:

1. drive the enemy out of 4farts
2. sneak over to fableimpots
3. kill boche during the night
4. Not lose too many more men

With that in mind, the Germans in 4farts are dead. The brigade in the open may have orders to attack, in which case there will be a bloody battle on fields outside of Brioche. I wish we could send someone over to support the 175th, but I don't think anyone but X is available.

I suspect the Germans may try an night attack in the east to neutralize the advantages of our guns. I certainly hope so, since they may not be aware of how we have reinforced the lines, but we should remember that when our guys start shooting, the enemy artillery will somehow sense which flashes of light are ours and zero in on them.

sullat fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 28, 2017

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

They don't have much artillery left as Roland has already seen to almost all of their big guns.

True. Although I'd estimate that there are 4 or 5 arty pieces still on Pasteur, plus a shitload of MGs. Enough to mess up an exposed infantry brigade's day if caught out in the open. That being said, I think we can send the 53rd in to clear out the Bois de Baguette and take up positions there to spoil any major attack. If the Germans attack it, they will be lit up for our own arty to shoot at.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
You can send the engineers to toilettes-champs to requisition more wire.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Orders for the 55th: Keep on keeping on. Try to keep an eye out for sneaky movements in the night.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Should be an interesting night.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Mon Pere is going to hit St C with the BEF in about 8 turns, I think? If we're going to give him support, we should send over the 52nd to attack around midnight.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

my dad posted:

No, the BEF isn't hitting St C, reread their orders. And you really don't want to cause a clusterfuck of nighttime orders jumble. Our guys already can't find their own trousers.

But I can't tell you nothing no more, so do what you want. :cheeky:

You'll need some support, I don't think the reserve cavalry can take St C on their own. Or maybe they can. Either way, though, you may want some help. Infantry to soak bullets while you soak up glory.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

my dad posted:

Eh. If you can think of a way to coordinate with a cavalry attack coming at an unknown time in the middle of the night, be my guest.

Well, there's a reason I'm encouraging the 52nd to do it... but we shouldn't let the high probability of a cock-up prevent us from trying to coordinate. Just need to estimate how long it will take you to find your way to St C and have the 52nd try to enter the town at about the same time.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
No change in my orders; coordinating a nighttime attack on St C would certainly be difficult, but may be useful if we want to save the cavalry. If Mon Pere doesn't manage to attack St C in this phase, we can maybe try to get someone to help him next phase.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
As I understand it, all the companies have to be moving, or all the companies have to be defending. Can't detach companies from the brigade. Except attached companies, such as cavalry, artillery, or engineers.

Whether this is to help Trin's sanity, or to emulate rigid WW1 military hierarchies or both, nevertheless, we can't detach rifle companies to act independently of the brigade.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
RIP horsies. BEF should try not to be in MG range ere the rising of the sun.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
:siren: 55th's orders :siren:

A runner arrives with news of Mon Pere's loss... General Sullat nods solemnly, and orders the runner to head to the quartermaster's stores with a request.

Move up to these positions in the night and switch to defend stance. Manhandle the arty. If we see the enemy while moving, switch to defend stance. Use rifle fire. Break off at 3/4th casualties.

Once we arrive in place, dig in, and then fight to the death. I want 6 rifle companies in the gap between the arty and Baguette, and 2 rifle companies atop Pasteur ridge. The MG is to be between the arty and the southern infantry.

Once entrenched, we will proceed to bombard any Germans with in range with impunity.

At 1000, the General will announce that Mon Pere has been slain in a vile Hun ambush! Cutlasses will be distributed to the men.
At 1030, the rifle companies will give their war cry, "You killed Mon Pere! Prepare to die!" We will then advance through Baguette, as shown:

We will fight to the death, we will engage the enemy with rifle fire.

sullat fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 4, 2017

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Edited my orders above, review for conformance with our last, greatest, attack plans.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Bacarruda posted:

Général de Division Bacarrette

Sir, I wish to join General Tebeka in strenuously opposing these orders. Our men have been fighting extremely hard today. They are tired, worn out, and in need of food and ammunition. I have lost two brigades and have had a third nearly destroyed. The Germans are dug in and will have all night to put up wire and roadblocks to hinder any assault on their lines.

With our communication problems, a multi-brigade attack with weak troops is extremely risky. It will be impossible to coordinate or respond to changing circumstances.

It is extremely difficult to destroy enemy soldiers dug into trenches, especially when the Germans have so many of those infernal machine guns. The Lebel is a fine rifle, but it simply cannot match up to those damned Spandaus. Our men will be slaughtered in the open.

If we must assault, let us wait for our relief and allow them to join the assault.

I am a good soldier of France and I will do as commanded. But I must beg you, for the sake of our men, to reconsider this 1030 assault.

I agree, the whole point of the maneuver is to force them to come to us or be destroyed by our artillery. With that in mind, an attack is not needed. They will need to reorient to attack us, or be destroyed piecemeal.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
The French historian Francois Tallus considered the battle to be a strategic French victory; after all it stopped the Germans from the march into the interior, and pushed them into the race to the sea; a race they eventually lost. In addition, the lessons learned in the battle were used in many victories to come; by the end of the war, Field Marshal and Supreme Commander of the Allied Expeditionary force, Xthetenth was applying the lessons of St Croissants all across the western front.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I will join up again!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Loel posted:

-cracks knuckles- Okay, lets have a look at this map

Bridges highlighted. West army has an advantage there, in that they can cross 50% more units across the first river. But!

East has better roads, one for each bridge. West has one road for all three bridges. So I'm expecting either a traffic jam in the west as they all try to take the road, or slower brigades moved into the fields in the north or hills on the south. Meanwhile, east side can occupy their first city with no problem.

Heres the crux of it. West has hills for their arty, and has cover for essentially the entire length of the river. Meanwhile, east has one packet of bushes and no elevation.

... and the natural point of aim, from cover across 3 adjacent bridges, leads right into a death trap.

Are we assuming west v. east? If this is like the race to the sea, it could be northeast and southeast, with the army that cuts the other army off at some point being the winner, by denying access to the channel portz.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

my dad posted:

We're defending Effyaders. You can read it in the description posted by Trin. It's literally the first post on this page.

The map looks like he wants us to conduct a fighting retreat, then. Stuck at work, though, will hop on Roll 20 this evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
BEF. Looks like we're putting away our red trousers and kepis and putting on khakis and uh, whatever the British hats are called. Maybe we'll get some savage Canadians to command.

• Locked thread