Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

sullat posted:

Well, it will be frustrating if they slip out of our grasp, but we still have three brigades advancing on Baguette, there will be sharp fighting there soon enough. While the fighting is going on there, an order can be sent to the reserves to advance on Pasteur ridge. The 54th is going to be in for a world of hurt, though.

Not Pasteur Ridge. Enemy communication lines. Hug the edges of the map and cut that poo poo up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Marching formation doesn't show attached units. Works for both sides.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Bacarruda posted:

Post a new set of orders in the thread -- Trin should let you change formation at this point.

No.

Trin Tragula posted:

you may only issue a Change of Orders when a Runner arrives at BHQ from Divisional HQ.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Well... This was... Interesting...

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It's possible that we lost 4 artillery chits, including both 155s before the battle even started because of a screenshot-related misunderstanding. One (1) of Loel's creenshots didn't include them, every screenshot he made after did, though, and apparently they haven't been deployed to the field because of it.

Loel posted:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Please come to roll20 to chat a bit. :)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
(just to make it official)

General Mon Pere, Corps Commander

6th Division is ordered to deploy its reserves. One brigade is to directly attack German positions and support the ongoing battle, while the other is to flank around Pasteur ridge, causing as much chaos and disruption as possible.

You are to send your engineers to sabotage the roads in the NE, through roadblocks and barbed wire emplacements, at General Tebeka's discretion.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Based on the reports from the 6th, we can safely assume a Case Purple scenario.

Therefore, 22nd Division is ordered to get all of its undeployed assets into combat positions as soon as possible and prepare to repulse Boche attacks. Winning any currently ongoing fights takes priority, but if circumstances should allow, you are to establish overwatch on as much of Le Oeuf's slopes as possible without getting too close to the peak itself, and discourage any attempts to flank us from the West. You are highly suggested to try to achieve your newest order with minimal disruption of already existing plans and orders being already executed.

At the discretion of General Bacarrette, you are to use your engineers to entrench your rearmost artillery positions.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Loel, you didn't actually fix your orders. Your artillery is still up your infantry's arse. (did you accidentally replace the screenshot with the exact same screenshot?) You also didn't give any orders to your engineers.

Hunt11 - your infantry is waaaaaay out of your brigade commander's range. Consider moving him around to at least get your whole brigade in his outer command circle.

e: I am genuinely worried we will lose to the Germans just waltzing into what I'm guessing is their objective in the SW completely unopposed on the West. But, our resources are limited, and I see no way to put up an adequate fight there with what we have.

Also, Slim Jim Pickens Slam Jam Packens, I'm worried that you're being overly cautious to some degree, since the Germans will be shooting our guys anyway, and it doesn't really matter if the guys they're shooting are yours or someone else's. Then again, you are a reserve brigade, so the caution may prove to be prudent.

my dad fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 18, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
If I may kindly suggest doing the roadblock/barbed wire on the side of town closer to the German deployment zone to avoid giving them free protection there. Also, please be specific about where you want barbed wire and where you want roadblocks, or if you want barbed wire if possible, roadblock if not.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

lenoon posted:

Ahhhhh I wasn't sure what a roadblock/barbed wire would do - will amend orders.

Basically, the idea is that if the Germans get reinforcements from off map in that direction, the roadblock would disrput their marching formation, and a barbed wire would do that, plus give them an extra delay while they go around it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
D'aww, the Germans are learning from us. Look at that infantry formation. :3:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
*phone rings*

General Tebeka/Bacarrette, I need an update on your current situation, as far as you're personally aware of it, and your assessment of it. What are the Boche numbers you are facing, is there an emergency that needs to be acted on, and do you think you can hold the line with the resources at hand?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Looking at the map, to be more specific, can he tell his HQ chit to bugger off to somewhere where it's not literally leading from the front? :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

xthetenth posted:

You might want to protect the guns a bit from enemy infantry by spacing out bricks of them with infantry just to mess with targeting priority. Maybe two companies between groups of 3 cannons.

Reshuffling chits that need to be stationary to fire while the enemy poses a risk of entering their range at any time. Yup. That's what we should be doing. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Why did we rush to send the infantry all the way to South Dejeuner, without using the attached cavalry company to scout the ridge to see if we even need them there?

The same reason we sent infantry to La Cote while we expected the enemy to be nowhere near it. The risks posed by the alternative are too great to allow. For an example of what happens when you don't think like this, please look at the German force, turns 1 to now.

Scouting is utter garbage if the information it provides is too late to actually do anything about it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

With how isolated Dejeuner ridge is, we've essentially routed 1/3 of 22nd Division's manpower for the Germans for the next 6 turns at least, unless we send out a runner to politely request they return to the war if possible.

Yes, that is an expenditure of resources which I consciously chose to make.

Ideally, 22nd will let the waves of German soldiers break on their wall of artillery. However, for them to do that, 6th needs to keep their artillery line covering Bois du Baguette, otherwise the enemy has an avenue they can use to sneak up on Loel's guys for a bayonet charge. We're currently besieging St. Croissant and in a position to brutally punish any enemy advance there. We have two weaknesses:
First is the risk of enemy moving over La Oeuf and presenting a threat from there is one. Sending that infantry there solves this problem in two ways, and depending on circumstances and luck, may help us elsewhere as well. First of all, we have a good ambush to spring on the Germans if they attack and we are in a position to actively protect what I am assuming is a possible enemy objective. Second, if the enemy learns that our infantry is there, they can't discout the option that we're doing a flanking maneuver of our own, and have another threat to consider and react to. Finally, seeing them leave might make the enemy think that our center is weakened, and push into a fortified ridge backed by a lot of artillery, and die. A lot.
Second weakness is not really being ready to receive more of a push on our NE without our reserves breaking, and taking the artillery with them. I made the mistake of assuming German reinforcements would take a significant amount of time to arrive, and we're about to pay for it. I am still considering whether I should press the panic button and try to stop the reserve brigades from advancing, or to let them go and hope for the best, while exploiting their advances elsewhere somehow.

Still waiting on tbk to make a post about what he knows and what he needs and then I'll start issuing orders.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I understand your reasoning, but 97th brigade has perfectly good scouting capabilities, and we don't actually need to send them with unconditional orders to guard Dejeuner south.

As things stand, if there is no boche attack in Bois de Bacon, the 97th's infantry is not going to do anything to support our defense or offense until a runner fetches them. By some rough math, that's 3 turns of runner travel, and another 3 of 97th's movement, if we were in dire need of reinforcements at Clemenceau.

I can see where you're coming from. I'll consider changing the orders, though Bacarruda's input would be welcome on this. I'm still heavily leaning towards just leaving them there. Maybe calling the brigadier chit back to move the artillery as needed. It's a lot more useful than the infantry. :v:

As an aside, thanks for taking the time to criticize plans, and propose alternatives. :) Even though I disagree with you most of the time, our plans have been consistently improved by incorporating the results of your thinking. Hell, I generally like the Entente team as a whole. Yeah, we need to work out some issues (use the preview button, ya goons :argh:), but playing the game with y'all has been quite fun so far.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Our reply, as provided with the help of our Boche-speaking friend from Russia, Gogol Translatin:

Q: Wie können Sie sagen, die Polnischen wurden im Weltraum? A: Der große Wagen fehlt seinen Rädern.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Hint: The German name for a certain constellation translates to "The Big Wagon/Car"

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

General Tebeka, your concerns have been noted. The orders for you are as follows: You are to cease all advance SW of Pasteur Ridge. You are to hold your artillery positions, and reinforce them as far as your resources allow. Let the Boche come to you. Should the circumstances permit, you are to cautiously advance NE of Pasteur, and take out any enemy on the crest of the hill. Under no circumstance are your men allowed to cross the crest of Pasteur Ridge.

If possible, inform your Brigadiers in the North that they're allowed to retreat back towards La Cote if they find themselves overmatched.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm waiting for Bacarruda to show up on roll20 just to confirm things before I give him orders.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

General Bacarette, your position has been understood. Since I have been informed that there was a miscommunication about our scouting abilities, you are allowed to stop your brigade marching West and redeploy it as long as it's given provisional orders to rapidly move West if the scout spots enemy activity W-SW of Bois de Gooneville. You are authorized to adjust the position and standing orders of your other units to account for the failure of the infantry assault on St. Croissant.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Slim Jim Slam Jam, Note the "defensive posture" in the orders sent to you. It's a change from the "ignore the enemy" stance. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
A goonette recently made a smiley that really sums up the emotion of "But wait... That must mean that... OH DEAR GOD NO!" that I think we're going to be dealing with a lot in these games.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I think you also have an artillery chit? There's a supressed one on the ridge. Might be worth placing it on top of the ridge.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Comrade Koba posted:

I think that's a machinegun, but you're right, I forgot that one. I'll try to update the map.

EDIT: Done.

I didn't even notice the machine gun. :shobon: I meant the artillery on La Cote. Check the map.

Your division started with an artillery chit, and you didn't lose it, so don't lose it. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Loel posted:

My orders are the same (no move, yes shoot), but if our engineers can find us I want to dig some trenches followed by place wire.

Might want to specify where exactly you want the wire. Towards the forest, perhaps?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Hunt11 posted:

Is there anything I should change or add to my ad-hoc orders before I have the ability to properly do it?

Might want to specify the exact position you want to send the scout out, since we've been somewhat unclear about what exactly is La Oeuf. You meant on the Southern edge of the peak, am I correct? Also, you meant next to the ridge, but not on the ridge for the infantry, I assume?

e: As in, lined from the ridge towards the road?

my dad fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 21, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Sorry for asking you all these stupid questions, but I figure that helping you specify exactly what you want beats leaving it to Trin's interpretation, especially after the 483rd chit he had to move and 372nd dice he had to throw. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Hunt11 posted:

Should I still upload pictures of what I mean in terms of troop deployment when I get home?

The answer is always "post pictures" :v:

It sucks if it comes a bit too late, but it sure sucks even more if you didn't make a picture at all. Oh well, c'est la vie. It's not the end of the world.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Sixkiller posted:

Did I screw something up?

Probably. We all screwed up by signing up for this war. :v:

Get to roll20. We'll all probably have a lot to chat about as soon as the update is posted. I'm currently mostly talking about random subjects while waiting for Trin to drop the proverbial bomb. :)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Hm... Well, we took more losses than the Germans these last couple of turns, which is not good.

However, they've very likely comitted all their reserves to the fight. We'll need to call on ours, but it we can just hold the North against them, we can push West to win this fight once end for all.

Priorities, as I see them at the moment:

• Establish a defensive line in the North. Pull back and reorganize if needed, but hold the enemy off.
  • Keep the enemy engaged in the center, without exposing ourselves. Artillery placement is key here, I think.
  • Take our victory objective.

Don't panic guys. :) We're in the lead.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Nice work, Loel. :)

This is why I think we're in the lead. They're the ones reacting to our moves.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

*phone rings*

General Lyautey, the German forces are confirmed to have a substantially stronger presence than expected. We require reinforcements. What are their numbers, and how soon can they arrive?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Loel posted:

If we keep 99 where it is, that dominates the center and forces them to go far left or far right to avoid our guns. It makes them cede the ground. As such, I think it wise to move the Graisse brigade to fight them on Dejeuner Ridge.

Heh. I guess my hunch was right after all. :)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

General Bacarrette/Tebeka, I need an update on your current situation.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Hunt11 posted:

Just as a general tally 50% of the French forces are either dead or running away.

NOTA BENE: 50% of the currently deployed French forces.

e: ^^^ Literally.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
A little housekeeping, here are the end of turn screenshots for turns 9,11,12,13. 10 is missing for some reason.

I suggest opening them full in separate tabs and switching between them to get an idea of exactly what the German force did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Eh. I'd rather take a slide-show I can control via extra tabs. The problem with gifs is that it's impossible to pay proper attention to the motion of a specific thing, especially if the gif is too quick.

• Locked thread