Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
To ensure that the British get the tea break that they need I volunteer to be a bridge commander. I feel a good dose of British stubbornness will help break the vile Huns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I second that vote.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Whoever commands the 22nd Division then I will command the 97th brigade for you.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 9, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I am not sure what I was trying to post there.

Edit: Finally caught the mistake and fixed it in the more important post.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think the best plan is to rush to croissants with our cavalry and then use our infantry to try and draw the Germans into a meat grinder in the town.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
There are two possible goals I see the Boche having.

1. Take and hold an area close to our deployment corner. This is possibly the more meta-gamey guess but my thinking goes that Trin will want to encourage both sides to play aggressive so each side having an objective on the other side of the map would do just that.

2. Take and hold St. Croissants until reinforcements can be delivered into the heart of French territory. If this is the case then it may make sense to try and demolish the train tracks near any area that we should be able to hold.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tehan posted:

I think we should do our best to secure the train tracks south of St. Croissants, as well as the town itself. It could be that they'd want to cut it off from rail reinforcement by French troops, in which case blowing it up ourselves would be a hilarious but ill-advised strategy.

I didn't think about that but it could easily go either way. So as a compromise I say have one part of the track rigged to blow so that if it looks like we are losing then we can just blow it up.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tehan posted:

The primary objective is St Croissants, and all three of the plans incorporated it as part of the defensive line :confused:

But if we've got a staggered deployment that'd really change things.

Yes and no. Our first objective is St. Croissants, but unless we want to turn this into a meatgrinder we have to push on past it and reach Faibleimpot.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My idea is to send the cavalry first to rush towards the town but in a staggered enough fashion that should it be impossible for us to get to the train first then we don't lose them all. These cavalry are then followed up by three brigades from one division whose objective is to support the push for St. Croissant. Next the second division splits into two groups of two brigades and starts to move to widen our front and if we are lucky, hem the Huns in. Then the last brigade comes on and either moves to reinforce the rest of its division.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I personally feel like we need to be more aggressive with St. Croissant but I am content to follow my superior's plan.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I will have my orders up tonight. Also Bacarruda you have two 98th Brigades in your unit names so you may want to edit that.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
97th Brigade reporting for duty.

Movement will follow this path.

Phase 1

97th Brigade Artillery, Brigade Command, and Infantry follow 99th along the road towards Clemenceau whilst making sure to give them road priority.

Phase 2

97th Brigade Command take position in Clemenceau whilst rest of the Brigade continues to march forward.

Attached Cavalry proceed to La Oeuf

Phase 3

97th Brigade adopt Battle Orders and march towards La Oeuf once artillery have unlimbered.

Attached Cavalry reach top of La Oeuf and send runner to HQ with update on enemy positioning and requests for new orders.

Standing Orders

When sighting an enemy on Attack stance: Assume this formation and adopt attack stance.

Artillery when firing: Fire until there is nothing left in sight then wait for further orders.
Infantry in artillery dual when enemy artillery has support.: Fire at anything approaching the artillery then wait for further orders.
Infantry in artillery dual when enemy artillery has no support. Move forwards to finish of artillery before retreating back to the unit.
Cavalry sightin an enemy on Attack stance: Fall back to the Brigade and support further operations
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Do not pursue.
Break off automatically when: 1/2 casualties are taken.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 15, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Trin Tragula posted:

Official Historian's Survey: Turn 0

In among the vast amount of paperwork for a general officer to deal with on the eve of battle, you find a note from the Official Historian, urging you to set out your honest and unrestrained views now for posterity and the benefit of future officers and servants of the Empire. He asks that you answer all, some, or fewer of the following questions, and assures you that they will be kept most secret until the end of the war.

1. How do you feel the planning for this battle has gone, in general?

2. How confident are you in the plans and orders that you personally have laid for this battle?

3. How confident are you in fulfilling the various objectives set by the Army Commander?

4. Is there any one aspect of the battle that seems to you will be most critical, on which success or failure is most likely to turn?

5. Thinking optimistically, what do you think the likely result of the battle will be?

6. Thinking pessimistically, what do you think the likely result of the battle will be?

Post ITT. Keep the observer thread supplied with content.

1. Overall I think the planning has gone well. Of course that view could change once we have a more complete understanding of the battle.

2. Either my orders will carry my brigade to victory or get them all killed.

3. Somewhat confident depending on what happens with Saint Croissant.

4. Whoever can hold the area around Saint Croissant will control the flow of the game.

5. After a bloody conflict we will be able to slowly force back the German forces.

6. Our forces are overwhelmed by a wave of artillery and we are slowly hemmed back towards our deployment area.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Well that post makes me feel a lot more nervous about it all.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Now time for a quick glimpse into our chat:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

How do they have so many machineguns?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have just had it pointed out to me that I used the wrong picture for my preferred battle deployment. Is there any point in me posting what I actually meant?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So this was my intended set up.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So can I at least assume that my artillery and/or infantry will move to such a position so that they can actually shoot?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So it looks like my brigade was sipping wine in town whilst everyone else was either getting butchered or butchering the enemy.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
97th Brigade

Now is time for redemption. We will hurl back any Boche who tries to push any further into French Territory.

Phase 1

Infantry continue to march forward to the area south of La Oeuf. No infantry chit is to go above the first slope of La Oeuf.

Artillery unlimber and move to the edge of Clemencu and begin firing at every Boche in sight. Prioritizing targets according to the normal targeting order near Saint Croissant. Artillery is to move as close to said position on the map as is feasible whilst also allowing them to shoot.

Phase 2

Infantry open reaching position go into Attack Stance and begin shooting at everything within range.

Artillery continue bombardment as though your life depended on it.

For infantry

For artillery

Conditional Orders

Artillery when firing: Fire until there is nothing left in sight then move towards southern slopes of La Oeuf and behind the infantry but only after a minimum of 7 turns have past.
Infantry: Ignore enemies until you have reached position then hold your ground.
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Do not pursue.
Break off automatically when: Never

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 18, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am moving my brigade command with my infantry now and will be showing off the adjusted orders shortly.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have changed my orders to match current orders.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This may change as the battle progresses, but as it stands it seems as though the Germans are taking a very defensive approach to this battle.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Hopefully the sight of my brigade maneuvering so far away from the battle makes the Germans panic and draws them into our guns.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Either the cavalry got roped into with the rest of our surviving cavalry or it is dead.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Right now the biggest headache for the French command seems to resolve around just how far bicycles can actually move.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Looking back at the last game, we have to avoid the mistake of acting timidly. We have managed to contain the Germans to about 1/3rd of the battlefield and we need to do all we can to keep them pinned.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I can give the orders but won't be able to upload any pictures to accompany them due to being at Uni.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Brigade 97 Orders

Artillery to keep on firing and anything that approaches our position.

Cavalry move to Southen Edge of the peak of La Oeuf and hold. The runner is to go along with the Cavalry chit.

Infantry move next to the right ridge of La Oeuf and assume battle formation outlined in the previous turn orders. (making sure to face towards Saint Croissant).

Conditional Orders:
All chits are to hold position no matter what.
Break Point: To the End
Infantry spotted moving towards La Oeuf: Send runner to Command.

Edit: When I get back home I will put up pictures to more accurately show what I want.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 21, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is there anything I should change or add to my ad-hoc orders before I have the ability to properly do it?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Should I still upload pictures of what I mean in terms of troop deployment when I get home?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Whilst we wait for the next set of turns to come in I want to give a big shout out to Trin. Not only for organizing almost everything but for pushing a rapid pace to the game which makes it so much easier to stay engaged.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Well this is a bloody mess.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am unsure what strategy to push. The safest thing to do right now would be to hole up and hold the line, but I worry that doing so will give the Germans they have to fully dig themselves out of their early game hole.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So I think it is time for my artillery line to split. Four pieces go north to reinforce our position and the other three move behind my brigade.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just as a general tally 50% of the French forces are either dead or running away.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Much like how we dealt with the English Longbows, I believe that any cyclist captured by our forces has to have enough fingers removed from both hands so that they can never use handlebars ever again.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am sure there are more elegant ways to do it, but I feel 97 should slowly be making their way towards the objective and only stop moving to drive off the boche.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
97th Brigade

Orders regarding brigade composition: I am taking command of the two infantry and one machine gun chits. I am also sending four artillery chits north to support the 99th. Once they are in position they are to take orders from the 99th Brigade commander.

Artillery: Always move unlimbered so that it can start firing the moment they are in position.

Movement: 97th Brigade is to move to the eastern part of the Dejeuner ridge and hold position.

When Dejeuner ridge is reached assume this formation.

Any chit marked with orange (The right most machine gun and the two infantry chits at the very end) are the ones I am attempting to add to my brigade.

Conditional Orders:

Enemy units in range of artillery: Halt and assume battle formation
When attacking the enemy: Use rifle fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Do not pursue
Break off automatically when: 1/2 casualties are taken
Enemy Artillery: When assuming position make sure to be just out of range (19 inches away from any enemy artillery)

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Of course the Germans manage to escape from the east basically untouched whilst almost everything on our west flank gets mulched.

Also I fully support any taunts to the Boche.

• Locked thread