Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

First turn the update after next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

if you don't have orders in yet I strongly suggest you get on with it

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

yeah, no, I've got more to do here than I expected, you've definitely got until tomorrow 5pm

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Whatever it is, deadline is definitely tomorrow at 5pm, so defecate or remove yourself from the latrine

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

:siren: The adjudication begins...

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIKiB663JD0

Day 2, Turn 40
British initiative

Two fresh brigades enter the field. Further forward, both the 20th and 21st attempt to move off...

They both succeed. The artillery lets off some more indirect fire at things you can't see.

Day 2, Turn 41
German initiative

The 20th crosses the river.

In the forest, enemies have been spotted within 4 inches; your front rank advances to contact!

Your guns let off more indirect fire. Then the machine guns go off.

Ye gods, that's a lot of German MGs.

You do have enough men left unsuppressed to send one enemy company retreating suppressed, but things aren't looking up.

Day 2, Turn 42
British initiative

The 20th continues its crossing.

You advance into contact once more.

More indirect fire falls on the enemy.

Their MGs and rifles do their job.

Nobody survives to close combat this time. This could end up sucking, a whole lot.

Day 2, Turn 43
German initiative

Good news from the forest; the 23rd has rolled extremely well and drops into its assigned defensive position.

So does the 20th; the assigned position was so close to the actual position of the trench that I allow them to occupy it. You also discover something to your advantage.

Well, it's been nice knowing you, lads.

This just in: it is possible for BEF brigades to rout.

Day 2, Turn 44
British initiative

Did someone order a lunatic general on a horse?

Day 2, Turn 45
British initiative

Another successful erection!

I am the very model of a modern Major-General...

Day 2, Turn 46
British initiative

The 24th appears out of the night, from entirely the wrong direction, and successfully appropriates the orphan companies scattered along the road to its command.

The 25th Brigade arrives also, but they're not the big news.

You are now the proud owners of four 60-pound field-gun batteries. You think that they will have roughly similar performance to a French 155mm howitzer, or a German 15cm howitzer, except that they cannot fire into towns. (Their calibre is about 122mm, they can't be manhandled.)

Day 2, Turn 47
British initiative

The modern Major-General goes searching for information botanical.

Day 2, Turn 48
MIDNIGHT
German initiative

Your new toys wheel themselves into place and brew up.

By the way, important note: the 7th Division's guns are now out of fire missions until after Turn 16. 8th Div has 12 missions left.

Day 3, Turn 1
German initiative

The modern Major-General knows nothing of electronics, but it turns out that telephone wire is just as vulnerable to a cavalry sabre as German guts.

Day 3, Turn 2
German initiative

We now interrupt this performance of Pirates in Men's Pants to bring you important news from the Foret d'Effyaders.

A lot of rifle and machine-gun fire goes off, to very little effect.

Day 3, Turn 3
British initiative

Stop that! It's silly! Here we were having a nice sensible bit of war, and now it's just got silly.

Nothing happens in the forest; if there's anyone still there, they are out of spotting range. The 25th arrives in the Bois de Blob, having taken the scenic route, and will take position next turn if not interrupted.

More erections finish.

And that ends the update. No overview because it's still night. You've got two more foot engineers to bring onboard from your existing deployment zone. Assume that any erection not depicted proceeded according to plan.

:siren: Soft deadline on Sunday 2 March at 5pm GMT.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0LYNaN_6Ac

Day 3, Turn 4
German initiative

Time for 7th Division's guns to move again.

One of your companies out on the road takes indirect fire. A lot more of it comes over, but nowhere near you.

8th Division's guns begin spending their ammunition.

Day 3, Turn 5
German initiative

The 7th Division's guns settle down into place again.

The 25th approaches its assigned spot, and watches from the forest as some indirect fire lands in its trenches. Still, orders is orders...

Your company on the road rallies, and is then promptly suppressed again. Good thing they rallied from suppression!

Day 3, Turn 6
German initiative

The 25th does its duty and gets in the trench.

More fire lands on its head. It also seems that the Germans are shelling the barbed wire in front of the fords.

You've also completed some fine erections.

Day 3, Turn 7
British initiative

The enemy's fire switches its pattern, and will continue targeting these locations all night; two spots at the base of each of the trenches connecting Blob to the Effyaders Road, two spots in Trench J (one halfway up that's occupied, one on the corner which isn't), and one about 2.5 inches south in Trench L. You can also observe, just about, that they're mercilessly pasting the barbed wire you laid in front of the fords.

This could be a long night. On the bright side, your men in the forward finger can see this.

Those are the guns which appear to be firing at you.

Day 3, Turn 8
British initiative

Same story.

Here we begin to see the value of trenches; you're pretty sure that you'd have lost at least one company by now. Shells that would have killed your men in the open are only suppressing them; shells that would have suppressed them in the open are having no effect.

Day 3, Turn 9
British initiative

Something new happens!

These guns appear to be firing directly ahead of them. By a staggering coincidence, this happens.

It's not good, but bad as it is, you're quite certain that at least half the brigade would have been suppressed or killed by these guns if not for their trenches. Again, this fire pattern continues all night. Down south...

If you can keep rallying, your men are confident that they can take this all night.

Day 3, Turn 10
British initiative

Rally, resuppressed; rally, resuppressed.

Day 3, Turn 11
German initiative

The pasting continues.

The wire behind 20th Division is now passable to both sides.

Day 3, Turn 12
German initiative

By the way, the screenshot's gone missing, but your modern Major-General has found his assigned position hiding in Ferme Chatte. He sees nothing all night, unsurprisingly, but there is one point at which he thinks he might have heard a horse and cart towing something very heavy.

Day 3, Turn 13
German initiative

Apparently I forgot the southern screenshots this turn.

I did get you before-and-after of the North, before and after rallying.

Day 3, Turn 14
German initiative

The Southern artillery fire is still in the same place, and still can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo. They're still spending a lot of shots flattening the wire, mind.

Day 3, Turn 15
British initiative

The 23rd is finally beginning to get worn down some, but without that trench I'm pretty sure it would at least have had to make a morale check by now.

An overcast day then dawns. Before full daylight, just as a reminder, you spotted this (image zoomed to 75%). These guns appeared to be firing south-west of themselves.

And these guns appeared to be firing due west (75%).

And you now get an overview.

It is 0800 on Day 3; you are back on daylight spotting rules. 20th Brigade is now on 2 fatigue points. 25th and 23rd Brigades are now on 1 fatigue point. 24th Brigade has 0 fatigue points.

Your engineers gain 3" of wire each. You have two horse engineers each with 6" of wire; the foot engineer who is preparing to demolish a bridge has 1" of wire; the foot engineers in the Vallee have 9" of wire.

You may deploy the spotter plane. Conditions for flying are difficult, but not yet impossible.

Both your artillery brigades are given 12 indirect fire missions, and warned that shell supplies are running short.

:siren: The soft deadline is 5 April, 5pm GMT. 8-turn update.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Hunt11 posted:

Trin you have forget to place the two pieces of wire that basically connect the two trenches I have created.

The where now?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Hunt11 posted:

A question involving brigade movement. If in battle stance how precise can a brigade move across the battlefield? As in can they slip through gaps that are about a chit wide or will they run right into the obstacle?

If they know about the chit-wide gap in advance, they can form a conga line and slip through the middle. If they don't, they will bonk right into the obstacle; if there's a chit or two that happens to be in exactly the right place that it's aligned with the gap, it'll get through, and everyone else in the brigade bonks into the obstacle and gets held up by it.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

My instinct is that it *should* function like a barricade (which would then allow in 1915 for the construction of historically accurate German-style weaponised hahas), and then I go and see that I didn't write that into the erections post, so now I feel bad.

Hunt, did you intend to put the wire in the middle of where 24th was entrenching?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

On the question of gaps between entanglements; if a gap is less wide than one chit's width then it cannot be slipped through, but if you want impassable gaps, I'm going to make the gap no more than 20-odd pixels so it's clearly obvious whether a gap can be passed through or not by eyeballing it.

Hunt11 posted:

I did not intend to do that.

Edit: So does the placement of wire in a trench change who it effects?

I think I'm going to have to rule the following; when wire is in a trench, the part of it that's in a trench functions as a barricade; but in this particular instance, I'll let you rotate those two bits of wire 1" or so to the west, around the edge of Saucisson, so you can retain the original effect without fouling the trench.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Tehan posted:

I mean, I don't want to sound pushy or ungrateful or whatever to the GM giving us such a fun time, but this will be the third or fourth time I've asked (not even counting roll20), so

:siren: :siren: TRIN TRAGULA :siren: :siren:

PLEASE CLARIFY WHAT IS GOING IN WITH REGARD TO MY DIVISION COMMAND CHIT, OR AT LEAST POST A WINKY FACE OR SOMETHING TO MAKE IT CLEAR THAT YOUR PROLONGED SILENCE ON THE MATTER IS DELIBERATE

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

oh, right

He got where he was going and is currently occupying his own bloblet of a trench just behind the 24th, which I appear to have filed in the wrong bucket. Should be corrected for the next update. You would have been informed had anything gone wrong.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Tehan posted:

A question for the thread: would it not be possible to blow up the southernmost ford, since it's an artificial bridge, thus greatly simplifying our southern defence? Or has it been decided that our engineer time is needed elsewhere?

The southernmost ford is not a bridge. The southernmost ford is a ford. There is a bridge just to the south of it.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Also, question for Trin: Are those infantry company reinforcements available?

20th got some reinforcements. If you want more, you need to have a brigade take casualties but not lose its commander or rout.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

On splitting the artillery, I'd take those orders the time, but if they prove too difficult to keep track of (we'll see) I'll have to disallow it for future updates.

xthetenth posted:

Ahh, and those damned picket companies need to move then.

Hey :siren:trin, can something like that be classed as a formation change given that's all space I was occupying, or do we need to swap the brigades to pull off the move?

I'll let you keep the pickets if you want and do it without swapping the brigades over, that's in the spirit of the thing. (I'll adjudicate it as the picketing companies moving back into the trench and a couple more moving out; usually I wouldn't allow this since the end result is that a company's occupying exactly the same space as another one did last time and violates the "appreciably different position" clause, but now it seems like there should be an exception for pickets.)

having looked at how much time there isn't, maybe let's just see what Pater Meus comes up with and then I'll interpret it in your favour

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0Wj5iP5rDY

Day 3, Turn 16
British initiative

The 20th forms up and heads off on the Regimental Bear Hunt, attendance mandatory.

The 25th Brigade shuffles about; note that this has been altered slightly to obey the "all companies must move to an obviously different position" rule.

A number of order changes fail to go through; lenoon's guns do manage to open fire; Professor Curly's don't.

Day 3, Turn 17
German initiative

The sneakybeakers get moving.

lenoon fires on the ford again; a German aeroplane emerges from the clouds for a moment to take a look at the Saucisson crossroads.

Day 3, Turn 18
German initiative

Comedy crew continues moving.

lenoon fires his third round of planned shots; Professor Curly's men still haven't had their orders. In front of them, though, there is now movement.

Day 3, Turn 19
German initiative

More movement in the forest.

The weather is deteriorating by the minute; your spotter plane dives down below the clouds as long as it dares. The observer apologises for not having seen any enemy units, but really sir, it was all we could do to keep the bloody thing in the air...

(You're getting this now because I think one of my problems with filing things in the wrong bucket is coming from delaying the spotter plane's information.)

Good news, though: you're not relying on the spotter plane for spotting!

Oh. Oh, I see.

You do get the better of the opening exchange, though; and now it's time to fix bayonets. Mid-update overview.

Kill dots are now being switched off on the overviews, since they may potentially indicate the positions of kills from your indirect fire that you're unaware of, and gently caress trying to sort 300-odd kill dots.

Day 3, Turn 20
British initiative

It begins to rain.

Well, it's been nice knowing you, chaps.

The western runaround ends.

Good news! You spot the enemy gun line in front of Stethoscope.

Bad news! You spot it because it fired on the 20th Brigade. Also, Professor Curly's orders have finally reached him, and he opens fire on the forest.

That's not the forest...

That could have gone a lot better for you than in fact it did, too.

Day 3, Turn 21
British initiative

Chaaaaaaaaaaaarge!

A couple of Germans poke their heads out of the south-eastern corner of the forest.

Some mutual spotting occurs to the west of there.

You exchange fire (not pictured) and that one company is killed. To the south...

If not for the guns, you might have survived to close combat. As it is, the enemy's rifle fire beats your last company back; then the 20th Brigade fails a morale check and routs. No room for comedy crew in this war, apparently.

Day 3, Turn 22
British initiative

More scrapping goes on in the middle of the map.

lenoon uses an awful lot of supporting fire to kill one company, and the enemy uses an awful lot of rifle fire to suppress one company.

Day 3, Turn 23
British initiative

Once again, lenoon dumps a whole lot of ordnance on top of one guy's head.

And the middle falls silent.

Meanwhile, in Ferme Chatte...

Your lunatic on a horse (well, dismounted at the moment) sees this. The rain is now steady, and from the next turn onwards hill spotting rules will be suspended. Flying is also impossible until further notice.

Overview:

Your last division, the 9th, arrives from Turn 40, or Turn 32 if you wish to spend a fatigue point. Three brigades, one 18-pounder artillery brigade, no engineers. Speaking of which, by the way, that northern bridge has now been wired for demolition.

Soft deadline: Friday 8th April, 5pm. This is one day less than last time; don't get caught out.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

no, they did stuff, your orders got done, people kept interrupting me trying to give me money and then when you're three hours later than you were expecting to be you just want to get it over with

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Engineers update; see attached map with up-to-date erections (but no Germans, you know where they are)

North horse engineer finishes the second gun-pit T24, south horse just started the to-be-entrenched wire, the two infantry engineers who aren't fiddling with a bridge just finished their own wiring jobs and are about to move on.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Only in terms of I miscalculated a couple of construction times that should have finished at the end of the update just gone, instead of first thing next one.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

You're lucky I'm much busier than I was planning to be this week

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppYgrdJ0pWk

Day 3, Turn 24
German initiative

The 25th moves around again.

And just in thee nick of time, too, as a truly ludicrous amount of indirect fire falls in the north half of the two fingers.

The retreaters see this.

They also see this, just by the SE corner of the forest.

That's a 10cm howitzer opening fire.

Day 3, Turn 25
British initiative

Comedy Cavalryman spots the enemy battalion worryingly close.

The enemy's fire pattern shifts south, but is now somewhat less intense.

Some of their shots were on target, but still failed to hit you thanks to the trench. Meanwhile, in the north, your engineers are moving on to their next erections...

A short-range artillery piece of some sort appears to be shooting at you from somewhere in the forest. You can't see it. You can see the machine-gun, though. Both your engineer companies end up suppressed, and I botch getting a screenshot.

Meanwhile, in the rear...

Kaboom! I'm displaying it this way because then I can just switch the dot off with all the others and I won't accidentally show the Germans that the bridge is gone.

Day 3, Turn 26
British initiative

Your foot engineer rallies and makes a hasty departure to the rear.

The cavalry engineer is not so lucky and is killed by the machine-gun, and a round of mutual firing follows between the two nearby trenches.

Your own southern guns have been firing their assigned pattern; the enemy's pattern changes again...

You can, however, see that the long FK gun line has fallen silent.

Day 3, Turn 27
British initiative

More fun times for another of your engineers, who makes a clean getaway after the Germans lunge out of the forest.

The 25th sees the enemy and calls for help.

Then they open fire.

Your guns rally in time to get shelled again.

Day 3, Turn 28
British initiative

The Germans advance cautiously on the 25th.

Your guns open fire, and cop another round of shelling from the enemy's guns.

However, that supporting round proved highly effective; most of the damage here was done by them.

Day 3, Turn 29
British initiative

The enemy...holds position?

They're no longer firing on your guns, and without the pressure of that...your artillery misses completely; the hits there were scored by machine-gun and rifle.

Day 3, Turn 30
British initiative

Then the enemy turns and leaves, heading back into the safety of the forest.

Your MGs take another company down before they get out of sight; the artillery lets off another round of indirect fire and again, misses completely.

Day 3, Turn 31
British initiative

And then nobody came. Curiouser and curiouser.

Overview.

The rain is getting harder. There is a chance that open-field spotting may be restricted to 8 inches (16 inches for units that fire) before nightfall.

Next deadline: Monday 10 April, 5pm. Busy weekend. Busy in general, actually. Still got time to run turns, just about.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 8, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

oh yeah I should probably remember to post and say that the adjudication's underway

edit: don't look for it before tomorrow

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The game is on suspension until next week, at least; I'm just too busy at the moment to run turns.

• Locked thread