Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Trin Tragula posted:

Quatreprouts (...) renamed Vierfurze

Now here's a goal properly worth dying for. Ve shall fight until our last, erm, breath leaves our bodies :v:

e: does someone know what engineers do? Do they facilitate movement, assaults, construction of defensive positions?

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

The Sandman posted:

Willing to take any position available.

You're now the boss of the lucky 13th Brigade!

aphid_licker posted:

Now here's a goal properly worth dying for. Ve shall fight until our last, erm, breath leaves our bodies :v:

e: does someone know what engineers do? Do they facilitate movement, assaults, construction of defensive positions?

AFAIR engineers enable you to build bridges (no rivers, so irrelevant) and can build field works a lot faster than regular troopers. We're still in 1914, at the manoeuvre warfare stage of the war, so don't expect heavy trench lines the engineers could help you with.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
One more question, in this scenario, if the infantry is our guy, and the cav is enemy, which of the cav units are visible to us?

Basically I wanna know how hills work, since they don't have a natural crest that would determine the limits of line of sight.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Finally, I have made a map with a grid that can be toggled on and off, as well as movable tokens for each unit type, if anybody would find it convenient.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p49nuujzrzrp6pm/Master%20Map.psd?dl=0

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Tevery Best posted:

AFAIR engineers enable you to build bridges (no rivers, so irrelevant) and can build field works a lot faster than regular troopers. We're still in 1914, at the manoeuvre warfare stage of the war, so don't expect heavy trench lines the engineers could help you with.

Ok thanks!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I have a request here from a HEY GAIL who can't get to a computer at the moment for command of the 77nd Brigade

steinrokkan posted:

Finally, I have made a map with a grid that can be toggled on and off, as well as movable tokens for each unit type, if anybody would find it convenient.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p49nuujzrzrp6pm/Master%20Map.psd?dl=0

I could certainly find it convenient! Do you take commissions? A few grids at larger scales would be extremely useful for me. I'll get round to your question, by the way, in a few hours; there's a big post coming on terrain, movement, and spotting.

edit: this is a reminder to Tevery Best, and others, that the 7th Jager Battalion requires a commander

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 9, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Trin Tragula posted:

I have a request here from a HEY GAIL who can't get to a computer at the moment for command of the 77nd Brigade

I could certainly find it convenient! Do you take commissions? A few grids at larger scales would be extremely useful for me. I'll get round to your question, by the way, in a few hours; there's a big post coming on terrain, movement, and spotting.

edit: this is a reminder to Tevery Best, and others, that the 7th Jager Battalion requires a commander

Sure, let me know what sizes you would like and I will render them.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Is 7th Jäger a command like a brigade or an asset like the cav?

I need a highly motivated individual to lead 78th Brigade

76 Crazycryodude
77 HEY GAIL
79 Comrade Cheggorsky

I will tentatively, barring the plan changing obvs, be dividing divisional assets up such that one brigade gets the cav and engineers, one gets light and heavy arty, and two get light arty, and be using them roughly in a dragoon, base of fire, line role respectively. Dragoons move a long way to somewhere important and dig in, line moves a medium way and keeps everything together, base of fire moves as short a way as possible to somewhere with a good view, sets up and rains death. If you are one of my brigadiers and one of these roles appeals to you speak up, otherwise I'll hand them out.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

aphid_licker posted:

Is 7th Jäger a command like a brigade or an asset like the cav?

It's both; a human commands it and it has an HQ chit, but it starts the game as a Corps asset and must be assigned by the Corps commander to a Division before it can do anything.

steinrokkan posted:

Sure, let me know what sizes you would like and I will render them.

Could you do me one with 1200x800 squares and one with 600x400 squares, pretty please with sugar onna top? Just the transparent-BG grid so I can dump them onto my .psd?

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 9, 2017

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Updated roster.

Tevery Best posted:

Okay! Here's the roster. Divisions have been handed out in roll20, but brigades are up for grabs in the thread. First come, first served.

III Corps - Generalleutnant Tevery Best
Chief of Staff: glynnenstein

7th Jaeger Battalion:

19th Division - Steinrokkan

13th Brigade - The Sandman
14th Brigade
15th Brigade
16th Brigade

and three cavalry companies, one cavalry machine-gun company, one battery of arse hortillery [sic], 12 batteries of 7.7cm field guns, 4 batteries of 10.5cm howitzers, and one engineer

This division is, according to current plans (PRONE TO CHANGE), supposed to be our main holding force and anchor. It can expect a lot of action still, but the main push will be performed by the 43rd Division. Keep that in mind while signing up.

43rd Division - aphid_licker

76th Brigade - Crazycryodude
77th Brigade - HEY GAIL
78th Brigade
79th Brigade - Comrade Cheggorsky

and three cavalry companies, one cavalry machine-gun company, one battery of arse hortillery [sic], 12 batteries of 7.7cm field guns, 4 batteries of 10.5cm howitzers, and one engineer

This is the main strike force. Most likely will get the Jaegers and most of our heavy artillery in support. We need strong, brave men for these brigades, not afraid to throw away their lives for victory.

In Corps Reserve we also have two engineers, 4 batteries of 15cm howitzers, and the 7th Jager Battalion, with two infantry companies, two MG companies, and two bicycle companies.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Trin Tragula posted:

It's both; a human commands it and it has an HQ chit, but it starts the game as a Corps asset and must be assigned by the Corps commander to a Division before it can do anything.

Yeah sorry I was a bit confused and my question reflected that. I was asking about the first part of your reply so I'm all set.

So if any unassigned brigadier wants to command a Jäger bn pipe up!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
16 is a good number, I'll take it!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Trin Tragula posted:

Could you do me one with 1200x800 squares and one with 600x400 squares, pretty please with sugar onna top? Just the transparent-BG grid so I can dump them onto my .psd?

OK, here it is, hope it's what you were asking for. The grids exist as bitmap layers as well as three black channels - these extra channels won't render in most image formats, which may be useful depending on your workflow. https://www.dropbox.com/s/qg9u6y4p17b3rno/Grids.psd?dl=0

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 9, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Well, throw me into the 78th, I suppose.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I've made a very basic roster spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1INxQ8FIG2UdpFbkeeluhARW_6p7jluTnTxDaG4httAc/edit?usp=sharing

NastyToes
Oct 9, 2012

I would be honored to lead the 14th.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Very well then I will take the 15th

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

How the Game is Played vol. 2: Time, Movement, and Spotting

Having discussed the rules for giving orders, let us now consider how units move when they are ordered. Rules about firing and engineers and other such things are coming later; these effortposts take time.

Time and Turns

The battle begins at 0700, dawn, and continues until the victory conditions are met. Sunset is at 2030. Each turn is 30 minutes long, which gives you 27 turns of daylight. The weather forecast is early mist, clearing at some point after 0730, and good weather all day. Conditions for flying are excellent.

(Please note that the above only relates to the first 1914 game played on the Saint Croissant map. Subsequent games have different weather conditions and hours of daylight.)

Each turn consists of a series of phases: all units on Team A move, then all units on Team B move; then anyone who is eligible gets to open fire according to a detailed priority list; then if there's a decision to be made, the relevant player(s) make their decisions; and then another turn starts. Who moves and fires first in any one phase is determined by initiative, a die roll before each turn.

Basic Movement

The unmodified movement for all units is as follows:

quote:

Infantry, Engineers, Machine Guns, Mortars, Artillery, and anything else I haven't thought of: 8"
Cavalry: 12", 16" on a road.
Runner: 8" when off-road, 30" when on-road.

This is halved for any unit which intends to use Rifle Fire on that turn. Units which move more than half their speed during a turn may not fire; MGs, Mortars, and Artillery may not fire if they have moved at all.

That's simple enough. Remember that you must be on Attack orders to move, and when you move you must move your full movement allowance. However, let's just complicate things slightly.

House Rule: Battle Order, Marching Order, and Roads

The base game is designed to be played on a scale small enough for the presence of roads to not be important. We're scaling up to a map that's miles wide from end to end, so roads matter and we need a house rule to govern them.

Now the fun part. When a Brigade is in Attack stance, it may be in one of two states: Battle Order and Marching Order. A unit's default state is Battle Order, ready for combat. Brigades in Defend stance must be in Battle Order.

However, when an Attack brigade is put in Marching Order and its HQ is on a road, it halts for one full turn and adopts the formation you see in the Corps diagram, and everyone in the Brigade is considered to be on the road. The Brigade then gains a movement bonus equal to half its speed. You may bring a unit onto the map in Marching Order and it immediately gains the speed bonus.

A Company in Marching Order is not allowed to fire even if it is eligible; it must first go into Battle Order, and the brigade spends its next available movement phase leaving its Marching Order formation and taking up its Battle Order formation. (There is a default Battle Order formation provided, but I strongly suggest you design your own.)

Brigades in marching order do not display their attached assets; they are assumed to be in the column somewhere and may not be targeted until the brigade enters battle order.

Have fun with that. Is it worth following the roads to get the extra movement, or will you cut across country? Do you want your men to stop and fight if encountering the enemy while on a road, or press on towards their objective?

House Rule: Activity While Defending

Brigades on Defend stance which are not currently spotting an enemy at 12" automatically Entrench themselves, which takes 6 turns.

(Note: again, this applies only to the first 1914 round on the Saint Croissant map. Units still auto-entrench in following rounds, but I may well have changed the amount of time that it takes to entrench.)

Cavalry

Cavalry brigades have an expanded command circle of 12" and 24".

Cavalry companies may be ordered to dismount at the cost of half their movement; they are then treated as infantry until they remount (at the same cost). Do you want to launch a bold cavalry charge, or dismount and ambush the enemy with firepower?

Artillery

Artillery larger than 75mm must be limbered and towed in order to move. Artillery smaller than 75mm can be carried for up to 4 turns in succession before it must be either limbered or put down. So, your mortars can be carried, but the FKs and howitzers have to be limbered. In order to unlimber, a gun must remain stationary for one full turn. If it finishes its movement on turn 6, it spends the whole of turn 7 unlimbering and cannot fire until turn 8. Likewise, an unlimbered gun takes one full turn to limber before it can move off. Arse hortillery does not need to be unlimbered.

Note that a British 18-pounder field gun has a calibre of 84mm.

Terrain

So, here's what all the colours mean. Green space is simple open ground. Dark green indicates woods and forests; infantry passes through easily, guns struggle if they're not on a road. The hills you seem to have figured out (there's a slight movement penalty for going up a level, but I'm not saying exactly what it is), as well as the roads and towns. The little snot blobs in open ground are farms, which may or may not cause a movement penalty to go through (again, deliberately not saying). Pink is the railway line, which costs an extra inch of movement to cross unless you're cavalry, or on a road. Woods, each level of a hill, and towns all block line of sight.

(Note: The La Dand-Effyaders map contains a depression, which has its own rules.)

SPOTTING: OR, HOW NOT TO BE SEEN

Right, pay attention to this bit; it is absolutely critical that you understand it, because it's what the spotting rules are based on. Spotting is not a thing that you do; spotting is a thing that is done to you. These rules are not written in terms of "infantry can see this far away, cavalry can see further because of their magic binoculars". They are in terms of "if you are doing X, any enemy chit can see you from Y inches away". There's a few exceptions, but in the main, spotting is not something you do; spotting is something that is done to you.

The base spotting ranges are as follows:

quote:

If the following applies to YOUR CHIT, an enemy unit may spot it at the stated distance:

In the open

Anyone who Fires is spottable from 24" away
Cavalry is spottable from 16" away
Infantry (and etc) is spottable from 12" away

In cover

Anyone who Fires is spottable from 24" away
Cavalry is spottable from 8" away
Infantry (and etc) is spottable from 4" away
When positioned in a trench, mortars are only spottable from 3" away and do not give away their position when firing.

Spotting occurs during any phase when a Company is within the unobstructed Spotting Range of an enemy company; each company determines spotting individually, but informs the entire brigade of what it has seen.

House Rule: Spotting Companies in Marching Order

Regardless of how Brigades in Marching Order appear on the map, all spotting distances (and only spotting distances) are reckoned as if all its companies and attached companies are located on the road, within the boundaries of the formation.

House Rule: Hills and Spotting

I was surprised when I found out how stingy the rulebook is about the effects of hills; I suspect that it's something, like roads, that doesn't scale up well. Therefore, the following house rules apply. (NOTE: Once again, this only applies to round 1 at Saint Croissant. Different spotting ranges can and will apply to different maps.)

quote:

A company that is on a hill may spot other units, and be spotted if it moves or fires, at 32" away if it is on level 1 of a hill, 40" if it is on level 2 of a hill, and 48" at level 3.

A stationary, non-firing company is only spottable at base range.

A unit's Firing range is not affected by being on a hill, except that anyone who is entirely on one level of a hill may fire over the head of friendly units who are entirely 1 or more levels below where this would otherwise not be possible.

Units on hills CANNOT see over Terrain that blocks line of sight. Yes, it's a big hill, but those are tall trees.

So, a company on level 1 of a hill has 32" of vision (yes, I know that supercedes what I just said about spotting, this is an exception to the general rule), but if it's moving around or it opens fire on anything while up there, it can also be spotted by an enemy that's 32" away. Vision versus visibility! You may well be able to see my house from up there, but in return, I can also see that you are up on the hill. Should provide a few comedy "OH gently caress" moments. See below for more detail and a case study on the slightly weird rules for hills.

Cover

These rules do not apply to towns; towns are a special case, dealt with in a moment.

A company is in Cover when it is stationary in a Farm, or is in a Wood or Entrenchment. Entrenchments offer protective cover from enemy fire as well as from being Spotted. Any company which is in in Cover and did not move at all on the turn lays an Ambush for its opponents, and may not be fired on until the turn after it is spotted. A company inside a Wood can only see out of the Wood if it is within 1 inch of the relevant edge.

Towns

A company in a Town is invisible to anyone not in the Town and cannot see out of the Town. It has both Spotting and Protective Cover at all times while in the Town, and uses the Cover spotting rules.

All Towns have Outskirts, which extend 50mm from the marked borders of the town. A company in the Outskirts has Spotting and Protective Cover and has an unobstructed view out of the Town, but cannot see into the Town, or be seen by any company inside the Town. The Outskirts are unmarked and do not exist until and unless a Company specifically declares that it is in them.

A company which travels through the Town is assumed to be using the main road and its movement is not affected; a company which intends or is forced to stay must move at combat speed while it is in the town.

House Rules: Spotter Plane

The Corps Commander may request a Spotter Plane fly over any point on the map at any time during the day. The request must be made before the battle begins. The Spotter Plane will attempt to spot anything within 24 inches of that point that is not in cover, and will then report back to the Corps Commander.

Next time: Firing Rules

steinrokkan posted:

One more question, in this scenario, if the infantry is our guy, and the cav is enemy, which of the cav units are visible to us?

Basically I wanna know how hills work, since they don't have a natural crest that would determine the limits of line of sight.

Here's how this is going to work. The infantry spots all enemy units except the one at the bottom right corner, because level 2 of the hill is blocking the infantry's line of sight. In order to spot that chit, it would need to move forward onto level 2. If the cav on the edge of level 2 and 3 shuffled back an inch so it didn't have any part of its chit on level 3, it also would be hidden by level 3. It's the furthest edge of a level of elevation that blocks LOS, not the nearest.

It's a bit janky and a bit gamey, but it's the best we can do without mucking around with crest lines.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 9, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Still need a commander for 7th Jäger!

I'm getting ever so slightly too into this but:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm guessing I shall have to assume command of the 7th Jägers then. Waldmans heil!

How often do we have to post, and when will the first orders be in? I'm leaving for the weekend to go to sweden and play board wargames, but other than that I have oodles of time.

Tias fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 9, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Your Order of Battle is full.

:siren: THE OBSERVER THREAD IS NOW OUT OF BOUNDS UNTIL THE END OF THE BATTLE :siren:

Orders from all Brigade Commanders are due in at the absolute latest before 5pm GMT Thursday 16th, one week from now, but if we can get them in sooner, we'll start sooner.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Oh, no problem, I can have them in at monday, provided we have no major problems formulating an overall strategy. Thanks!

So guys, how do we tackle this? Not knowing where the entente are at, I vote we take the center and fortify, using roads. The cowardly boches and tommies will naturally fear decisive action and go slower in order to not take losses at march :mil101:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

drat, missed out. I guess this means I'm on war poetry until a reinforcement turns up.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Feel free to go staff, I'm sure it wouldn't harm our chances for Tevery to have some second opinions.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The war effort is absolutely inconceivable without a constant supply of poetry

Trin Tragula posted:

Your Order of Battle is full.

:siren: THE OBSERVER THREAD IS NOW OUT OF BOUNDS UNTIL THE END OF THE BATTLE :siren:

Orders from all Brigade Commanders are due in at the absolute latest before 5pm GMT Thursday 16th, one week from now, but if we can get them in sooner, we'll start sooner.

Just to make sure I understand the Giving Orders post correctly: All I have left to do before the first turn is make a post stating where my HQ goes and to what brigade all the division-level assets go? I don't have to do stuff like formally assign the missions we planned out in the chat to the brigades, say in what order they enter the map etc., brigadiers handle that?

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 9, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

aphid_licker posted:

The war effort is absolutely inconceivable without a constant supply of poetry

Just to make sure I understand the Giving Orders post correctly: All I have left to do before the first turn is make a post stating where my HQ goes and to what brigade all the division-level assets go? I don't have to do stuff like formally assign the missions we planned out in the chat to the brigades, say in what order they enter the map etc., brigadiers handle that?

I'd say it would still be good if you formally wrote down what your actual orders to your subordinate brigades are, in terms of intent. Just so that everybody (including observers) have a quick reference handy.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I'm calling bullshit on depriving people like myself from gaining brigade command when some of us were the first to post in this thread asking for a command from when the thread opened. I know some may call this selfish but I did put in the request early exactly so I could get a place. So yeah I am annoyed about not getting a command,

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

koolkevz666 posted:

I'm calling bullshit on depriving people like myself from gaining brigade command when some of us were the first to post in this thread asking for a command from when the thread opened. I know some may call this selfish but I did put in the request early exactly so I could get a place. So yeah I am annoyed about not getting a command,

Want mine? I'm not incredibly attached to it, I'll tolerate becoming an observer if you really want in.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 10, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Here is the map with names on, in full and pocket-sized editions

aphid_licker posted:

All I have left to do before the first turn is make a post stating where my HQ goes and to what brigade all the division-level assets go?

Strictly according to the rules, yes, that is all I need to know directly from you before the game starts.

quote:

I don't have to do stuff like formally assign the missions we planned out in the chat to the brigades, say in what order they enter the map etc., brigadiers handle that?

Strictly according to the rules, no. In the sense of, if you do not do this, the game can still begin, so I do not require you to do this. You may, however, think it wise to make such arrangements.

edit:

Rule Clarifications

Brigade-to-Brigade Communications

I've been thinking about this point for a while:

A Red-Trousered Goon posted:

Can BHQs use their runners to communicate with other brigades

No, but there *is* another way of doing this, and I agree it makes sense for Brigades to pass information between each other. Here's the solution.

Any Brigade which has a Company within spotting distance of a Company from another Brigade (and its vision is not obstructed in some way) is considered "in touch" with the other Brigade. Information that reaches Brigade HQ is automatically shared with any other Brigades with which it is in touch, after a delay while the (abstracted) runners move around. (Yes, this means that you will technically be in touch with a brigade that's 40" away at the top of a hill, but any information shared between them will take several hours to arrive.) Spotting an enemy company based on information from other Brigades may trigger an Auto-Response.

Ordering Units and the Command Zone

Companies may be ordered outside the Command Zone by their commander. For instance, an infantry brigadier with attached cavalry may want to order their cavalry forward to scout and then return.

When a Company leaves the Command Zone, Brigade HQ will only know what it is doing if another company can Spot it, and information does not travel back to Brigade HQ from the absent company until it returns to the Command Zone. Companies outside the Command Zone attempt to fulfil their last written orders as best they can; if they are still out of command range, they then switch to Defend orders and do not move.

Cavalry in Brigades in Marching Order

A cavalry unit attached to a Brigade which is in Marching Order can choose to move at the infantry's speed if its commander does not want it getting ahead of the column, or it may proceed at its own speed. Once the Brigade goes into Battle Order its obligatory movement returns to 12".

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 10, 2017

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Crazycryodude posted:

Want mine? I'm not incredibly attached to it, I'll tolerate becoming an observer if you really want in.

No, i've gone and cooled my head a bit and it would feel kind of poo poo to take it from you even if you aren't that attached to it. I'll see what advice I can give to the commander to help out.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Where's our private chat at?

E: Trin, are there special rules for jägers? Brushing up, my dictionary tells me they are people with civ jobs that make them good "skirmishers, scouts, sharpshooters and runners".

Tias fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Feb 10, 2017

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Tias posted:

Where's our private chat at?

E: Trin, are there special rules for jägers? Brushing up, my dictionary tells me they are people with civ jobs that make them good "skirmishers, scouts, sharpshooters and runners".

get provided my dude https://app.roll20.net/join/1997552/GbgsBw

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
OK, so there was talk of plans at Roll 20. I made a suggestion which I still think is sound, and because Trin said to share Roll 20 comms with the thread, I'd like to post it.

So, what do we have here? We assume that the enemy deploys at the opposite side of the field, covering the objective (Quatreprouts) from two ridges. To reach the objective relatively safely, destroying the enemy in the process, and if possible in detail, using local superiority as the principal guideline for action, I propose this -

GOALS
- Capture SAINT CROISSANT
- Destroy enemy's currently fielded fighting power through a series of deliberate, one-sided engagements
-Capture QUATREPROUTS, secure overwatch from surrounding ridges, now cleared of enemy
- Minimize threat of flanking, maintain shortest possible frontlines
- I believe the plan sketched at Roll 20 spreads the Corps too thin too early to give us proper flexibility, and delegates the assault on the force which has to march the longest to reach its staging ground.

OPERATIONS
-43rd division (aphid) has been designated as the primary assault force
- both divisions form into a thick column attacking through a roughly the same vector at SAINT CROISSANT
- as indicated on map, there are some distance discrepancies to target between different parts of the advancing column that may need to be addressed by brigade commands, in order to maximize impact
-the combined assault of both divisions should topple the town without much effort
-43rd pivots to attack South at CLEMENCEAU, protected by BOIS DE BAGUETTE. The forest provides a good protection, and the town of C. combined with B. DE TIGRE itself limits the effective frontage where the French can deploy with useful LOSs.
- 19th supports the assault with as many units as possible, while detaching a covering flank to protect SAINT CROISSANT for a short while
-As the defenses of CLEMENCEAU crack under the weight of a combined Corps, the 19th pivots to the west, while 43rd proceeds to
- Depending on the reaction of the French, the proceeding stages should see us envelop the area delineated by the black line, and launch a multipronged attack capable of reducing the French pocket and taking the primary objective at the end of the day.

RISKS
-Seeking confrontation with the enemy may drain our resources to a point where the second stage attack at our main objective becomes infeasible. However, since a scenario where attacking without pushing through enemy lines is unlikely based on predicted enemy placement, this plan, I think minimizes the threat of flanking fire, harassments etc. as long as it is executed swiftly.
-Artillery placement needs to be decided

E: I thought each inch was 100 yards; the distance measurements (in meters) are therefore off, and need to be multiplied by 0.8

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Feb 10, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

How far will the artillery shoot? Pasteur Ridge seems to make sense, but we shouldn't limber them up there if they can't fire far enough.

Also, we should be wary of assuming the French come from the opposite direction, unless that's in the rules.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tias posted:

How far will the artillery shoot? Pasteur Ridge seems to make sense, but we shouldn't limber them up there if they can't fire far enough.

Also, we should be wary of assuming the French come from the opposite direction, unless that's in the rules.

Correct, which is another reason not to spread the corps til a point of contact can be determined, imho.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
in the map in the chat, 43rd is deploying west of 19th; in your map, 19th is northwest of 43rd. which one are we going to pick

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I know, what I posted is an alternate proposal to what has been floated in Roll 20. I think the primary proposal should get posted here as well, but I didn't make it so I don't want to pretend I'm an authority on what it entails.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Feb 10, 2017

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I'll discuss that once I have some more time, so later today.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Firing rules, or, PEW PEW BANG BANG rAttATaTTarAttATaTTa BOOOOOOOOOM

Here are the rules on what happens when you shoot at things.

Firing Range

The base firing ranges are as follows.

quote:

Rifle Companies (infantry/cavalry): 8"
*Machine-Guns: 12" (but see below)
Mortars: 12"
Artillery: 18"

When eligible to do so, any company may fire in any direction at any enemy company which it has Spotted on the current turn, subject to the order of priority (see below). Firing occurs after all movement by both sides has been resolved; there is a mechanic to govern what happens if company moves into and then out of an enemy's firing range. If a company is in Cover and firing at an enemy inside the same piece of Cover, firing range is limited to 4".

Fire and Friendly Units

There is no friendly fire. Infantry and Cavalry cannot fire through friendly units (although they may move through a friendly unit's space, so long as there's room for it to do so). Artillery may only fire through a friendly unit if it fulfils the requirements for Overhead Fire.

Machine-Gun Fire

Machine Guns may fire through friendly units. If they are in a Wood or Trench and in base-to-base contact with an Infantry or Cavalry company; or in a Town and in base-to-base contact with a company in the Outskirts, their firing range is calculated from the company they are in contact with.

This has since become known as the "Billy Bonus" and is further explained and demonstrated here.

Overhead Fire

A unit's Firing range is not affected by being on a hill.

Artillery may fire over the heads of friendly companies on the same elevation, provided that the company is at least 2" away from the guns and 2" away from the target.

Any company which is is entirely on one level of a hill may fire over the head of friendly units who are entirely 1 or more levels below where this would otherwise not be possible. Companies with elevation cannot fire at targets that have a friendly company within 2".

Other Restrictions on Artillery

Artillery may only fire out of a wood if its edge is touching the edge of the wood; it may only fire out of a town if in the Outskirts; no artillery in a wood may fire into the wood; no artillery in the Outskirts may fire into a town; no artillery in a town may fire at all; only howitzers may fire into a town from outside.

The Order of Combat

Combat proceeds in the following phases:

quote:

Indirect Fire Artillery
Direct Fire Artillery
Machine Guns
Stationary Infantry
Stationary Cavalry
Moving Infantry
Moving Cavalry
(Morale Check 1)
Cavalry Charge
Bayonet Charge
(Morale Check 2)
(Rally)

Combat is not resolved like movement; in combat, Team A's artillery fires, then Team B's artillery fires; then Team A's MGs, then Team B's MGs, etc.

The Order of Priority

A company which fires always attacks the closest company it is allowed to fire at, subject to the Order of Priority, which is based on a "like to like" principle.

Artillery must fire at artillery if available, then machine-guns, then any other target
Machine Guns are the exception: they target Rifle Companies first, then any other target
Rifle Companies must target other Rifle Companies, then Machine Guns, then Artillery.
HQ Units and Runners are always last in the Order of Priority and may only be shot at when there is no other valid target.

Close Combat

Rifle Companies which, during their movement, move into base-to-base contact with an enemy company which it Spotted on a previous turn, initiate Close Combat. Infantry companies perform a Bayonet Charge; Cavalry performs a Cavalry Charge. Units who are being charged suspend the Order of Priority rules and instead fire on the charging company. A unit may be charged by multiple opponents at once.

Any other unit that would move into base-to-base contact with an enemy stops 1" short, as does any company which would move into base-to-base contact on the same turn that an enemy company is Spotted, and any company which is Suppressed (see below) while charging.

A charge which scores a hit (which is more likely than a hit with rifle fire) either kills the charged company or forces it to retreat suppressed. A successful Bayonet Charge allows the company to attack one more enemy within range; a successful Cavalry Charge may attack up to three more enemies.

FIBUA, FISH, and FIPAC (or, Special Rules for Towns)

In a town, all firing ranges are restricted to 3", and a unit may enter Close Combat without first Spotting its enemy.

(Fighting In Built Up Areas, Fighting In Someone's House, and Fighting In Pubs And Clubs. Guess which the British Army does the most?)

Firing Mechanics

I roll dice and determine who gets hit. There will be no discussion of the exact mechanics.

Results of Fire, Suppression

Firing results in one of three outcomes: Miss, Suppression, Kill. A company that is missed is unaffected; a company that is killed is removed; a company that is suppressed remains on the board and may not move or fire. If a company is hit while suppressed, it is killed. In the Rally phase, all surviving Suppressed companies attempt to remove their suppression; if successful they continue trying to carry out their orders.

Morale

There are two Morale phases, immediately before and immediately after close combat. On the turn that it occurs, if a Regular brigade is reduced to 1/2 or 1/3 of its original strength (not including attached units), it makes a Morale Check. Your Jaeger battalion is an elite unit; it checks only at 1/3 and does so with a bonus. (They don't keep making checks on every turn; only on the turn on which they are reduced.)

There are three possible results: Rout, Retreat Suppressed, and Unaffected. If the Brigade routs, all its Companies are removed, including attached units. If the Brigade Retreats Suppressed, on its next turn all its companies (including suppressed and attached companies) Break Off; when they finish breaking off, all units are suppressed. (Suppressed units who retreated due to a Morale Check are not Killed.) Any Orders the Brigade was trying to carry out are disregarded; any units that Rally go into Defend stance.

Night Operations

A few of the rules about firing and spotting change during the hours of darkness: see this post for details.

Supplemental: The Engineer

Not really part of firing rules, but I think I'm pretty much done with stuff to explain, and he's not worth his own post, although he is a lot of fun...

An Engineer has many uses; in Grey's game they spent a shitload of time building bridges. It's a fighting stand, and when on the board, it moves/spots/defends itself as though it were Infantry. However, I keep Engineer chits off-board and operating in an abstract manner unless they're within 12" of an enemy company, or specifically ordered to come on-board (for instance, if they're needed to replace a killed infantry company).

An Engineer can move around freely when it has a task to perform, regardless of the stance of its Brigade; takes 4 turns to entrench itself (a regular Company on Defend Orders takes 6); it produces 3" of trench on each side of itself (the regular company produces 1"); and it goes on working even if it Spots an enemy or is fired on, although it's not allowed to fire while working. It also carries onto the map 3" of barbed wire, which takes 4 turns to place, and it can also steal loot requisition 3" of barbed wire from a Farm by spending a turn stationary inside the Farm's boundary; it can carry up to 9" at a time. Finally, it can spend 6 turns to create a Roadblock, which annoys the poo poo out of anyone who's trying to travel on that road.

someone asked about Jaegers posted:

:words:

The Jaegers get two bicycle companies for faster movement on roads, and are good at not routing. I also hear they get particularly peevish about OPSEC violations. That's all!

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Trin Tragula posted:

The Jaegers get two bicycle companies for faster movement on roads, and are good at not routing. I also hear they get particularly peevish about OPSEC violations. That's all!

My command was over a hundred years ago, peevelord, I think I we let that one slide :colbert:

Also, thanks a lot.

Also, fellow German commanders: I'm taking a weekend holiday in a farm in Sweden to play goony wargames, which I'm sure you can appreciate, but I won't be back to talk orders and game before sunday, approx. 20.00 CET, so don't panic because I'm not posting.

• Locked thread